Options

Your opinion about Immigration.

Comments

• Options
    tbergs said:
    brianlux said:
    tbergs said:
    This has to be the most useless thread on the board.
    I mean really, aren't they all? It's just internet banter and no action among the same dozen posters in every thread with an occasional guest appearance. 
    You mean nobody has changed anybodies mind here?  What?  You mean I've wasted all this time?  NOOO! 

And yet we all keep coming back for more.  Masochists!  :lol:
    Well, I think we're getting really close to convincing Mcgruff that Riot Act is a masterpiece and You Are is pure gold. I think Thirty is also reconsidering whether Trump supporters have 2 teeth instead of 1. :)

I saw a photo of a bunch of Trump guys. They were shooting their guns in the air and drinking beer in the back of a rusted Fargo. One of them was blowing into a moonshine jug. I thought he had two teeth, but I magnified the picture and saw he only had one tooth- the other 'tooth' was actually a mint.

The guy still only had one tooth, but obviously he's one of the more classier Trump guys- concerning himself with halitosis. He even had GWG denim overalls and he wore socks in his boots! I had my suspicions he might have been Rolemodel... but I really can't tell.  
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,284
    unsung said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    OnWis97 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    I know the kids wanna be free to be outside doing what kids do having fun not being housed in empty old warehouses or tent city's ....
    Give them xboxes and they would just be living the normal life of kids in the USA...
    You forgot to make a Tide Pods joke.
    Damn, I knew I left something out.  
    I gotta say dude, I find the way this is going down to be appalling, and find your indifference to it equally so. this is not faux outrage. this is children in fucking prison by the government of the US. with the president blaming the party not in power for it, all the while cozying up to a murderous dictator. the time for outrage, if it wasn't before, is now. 
    I'm not sure I'd call it prison.  And the parents certainly share some of the blame in this as they are the ones that broke the law.  However, I think we need a catch and release policy at the border....just turn the whole family away.  Of course most will try again...can you just continue to catch and release?  Obviously this isn't the solution, but there aren't a lot of good answers when you've let something go unchecked for decades.  This is a complex problem that needs lots of different solutions to overhaul.  But we should start by not separating families.  It's just not right and in the long run is likely to generate enemies of the US and hurt our security.
    If it was your kid, you'd call it prison.
    You're right though - It's just not right and can lead to nothing good for America.
    Except of course I didn’t break the law trying to illegally enter another country. 
    Correct.  Illegal is illegal. I have zero problem with legal immigration.  Come one come all! Lol

So because illegal is illegal it’s ok to separate kids from parents ? Am I correct in thinking 
    Absolutely. 

Actions have consequences. 
    Ok I agree but still not humane to be separating them you don’t think just sending back together shouldn’t be an option ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    unsung said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    OnWis97 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    I know the kids wanna be free to be outside doing what kids do having fun not being housed in empty old warehouses or tent city's ....
    Give them xboxes and they would just be living the normal life of kids in the USA...
    I gotta say dude, I find the way this is going down to be appalling, and find your indifference to it equally so. this is not faux outrage. this is children in fucking prison by the government of the US. with the president blaming the party not in power for it, all the while cozying up to a murderous dictator. the time for outrage, if it wasn't before, is now. 
    I'm not sure I'd call it prison.  And the parents certainly share some of the blame in this as they are the ones that broke the law.  However, I think we need a catch and release policy at the border....just turn the whole family away.  Of course most will try again...can you just continue to catch and release?  Obviously this isn't the solution, but there aren't a lot of good answers when you've let something go unchecked for decades.  This is a complex problem that needs lots of different solutions to overhaul.  But we should start by not separating families.  It's just not right and in the long run is likely to generate enemies of the US and hurt our security.
    You're right though - It's just not right and can lead to nothing good for America.
    Except of course I didn’t break the law trying to illegally enter another country. 
    Correct.  Illegal is illegal. I have zero problem with legal immigration.  Come one come all! Lol

So because illegal is illegal it’s ok to separate kids from parents ? Am I correct in thinking 
    Absolutely. 

So, you are arguing that it's okay to impose any consequence on an action, without regard to proportionality, morality, or human rights? Given your "absolutely", what else would it be okay to do to those kids?

You don't really believe in smaller government. You believe in smaller government imposition on yourself, and massive government imposition on people you disagree with. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,844
    unsung said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    OnWis97 said:
    PJPOWER said:

Absolutely. 

Ok I agree but still not humane to be separating them you don’t think just sending back together shouldn’t be an option ...
    Question: how would you send them back? And where do you send them to? 

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Even Sessions' own church leaders don't agree with him that separating kids from their parents is christian.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/jeff-sessions-trump-immigration-family-separation-border_us_5b23ff24e4b0783ae128f90d
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    unsung said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    OnWis97 said:
    PJPOWER said:

Absolutely. 

Great question for which I don’t have an answer except to try to work with the countries on footing the bill for 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,685
    mcgruff10 said:
    unsung said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    OnWis97 said:
    PJPOWER said:

Absolutely. 

Edward Abbey had an interesting thought on that:
    "... if we must meddle, as we have always done, let us meddle for a change in a constructive way. Stop every campesino at our southern border, give him a handgun, a good rifle, and a case of ammunition, and send him home. He will know what to do with our gifts and good wishes. The people know who their enemies are. "

Abbey was liberal to radical on several issues but rather (seemingly, anyway) conservative on immigration.  He wrote an article for NY Times that they refused to publish.  I'm not 100% in agreement with Abbey here (any Abbey fan will tell you almost none agree with everything the man wrote and those who claim to are probably full of beans) but here it is your your consideration:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Put pressure on the countries where these folks are coming from with sanctions , that’s the crux of the situation most if not all of the countries in Central America have terrible governance at the top so people have to flee ..what else can we attribute this situation too, so no I don’t have the answer on how to send them back or where too ..
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,997
    Good morning my thoughts are with the kids and not anyone’s opinion of the situation , if you find this thread to be useless that’s ok I’ll be here to remind everyone that America is now storing children in tent city’s in Texas outdoors in the heat of the day !!
    Are you more angry at the way the kids are tested or that they are separated from their parents?
    while separating them from their parents I beleieve is a new practice, children have been “stored” in literal cages before with little outcry from the public.
    Im not saying I like what’s happening, I just find it interesting that no one had a problem with it 4 years ago, but now Trump is evil for doing the same thing.
    I linked an article the other day that talked about for even a former  Obama staff member used pictures from 2014 and passed them on as child cruelty from Trump.
  • Options
    https://amp.businessinsider.com/migrant-children-in-cages-2014-photos-explained-2018-5
    Yeah Obama did it too but they at least had a policy on how to process the kids from what the article states orange Baffoon does not ...
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    Good morning my thoughts are with the kids and not anyone’s opinion of the situation , if you find this thread to be useless that’s ok I’ll be here to remind everyone that America is now storing children in tent city’s in Texas outdoors in the heat of the day !!
    Are you more angry at the way the kids are tested or that they are separated from their parents?
    while separating them from their parents I beleieve is a new practice, children have been “stored” in literal cages before with little outcry from the public.
    Im not saying I like what’s happening, I just find it interesting that no one had a problem with it 4 years ago, but now Trump is evil for doing the same thing.
    I linked an article the other day that talked about for even a former  Obama staff member used pictures from 2014 and passed them on as child cruelty from Trump.
    I think “tested” must have been a typo and I’m not really sure what the question was, but they are two completely different situations. The children in the 2014 photo arrived without family and needed to be housed. Housing them in facilities like this is also wrong and totally inadequate, but they were at least there briefly before being moved on to better facilities. 

In contrast, the current administration is deliberately taking kids from their parents and locking them up. The average length of stay in these facilities is over 50 days at this point. Apples and oranges and a big dose of “Obama did it too”. 
  • Options
    Two other items of information I just learned this morning. 

First, Stephen Miller is the author and main proponent of the “zero tolerance” policy, including the component of separating children from their families. He called it “an easy decision to make”. Is anyone surprised that this creep is responsible?

Second, Trump’s administration is alone in treating all unauthorized border crossing as a criminal offence rather than a civil matter, even when the individuals have claimed asylum due to fear of persecution if they return to their home communities. No exceptions. This is inhumane. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    I think “tested” must have been a typo and I’m not really sure what the question was, but they are two completely different situations. The children in the 2014 photo arrived without family and needed to be housed. Housing them in facilities like this is also wrong and totally inadequate, but they were at least there briefly before being moved on to better facilities. 

In contrast, the current administration is deliberately taking kids from their parents and locking them up. The average length of stay in these facilities is over 50 days at this point. Apples and oranges and a big dose of “Obama did it too”. 
    Yes, it was a typo, I don’t know how it auto corrected to “tested.”
    i meant are you more angry with the way they are being held, or that they are separated from their families?
    I know 2014 is different from today. But there seems to be outrage over both, ive heard several news reporters refer to it as a concentration camp.
    i understand the separation is new, but the cages aren’t. So that is why I asked. Anyone who is outraged over the way they are held, where was the outrage 4 years ago?
    And to compare it to a concentration camp is laughable, and insulting to those who suffered in one. They aren’t being worked, they are given free meals, some entertainment. 
    I’ve said I don’t like the separation either, but some of this seems overblown to me to be honest. At least the anger towards any group and the inaccurate descriptions of it. Be angry at every president for the last 40 years who have all done nothing but promote illegal immigration through their lack of enforcement.
    And I can’t help but feel at least some of this outrage isn’t genuine when 4 year old pictures are being used to incite this argument, that just proves the conditions where the same and no one cared then. The only difference it’s it’s another thing to be angry at Trump about.
  • Options
    To be clear I wasn’t referring to anyone here about not being genuine. I mean in general, and especially the media.
  • Options
    ‘America is better than this’: What a doctor saw in a Texas shelter for migrant children - The Washington Post https://apple.news/AxZTfGFUCReK90ajjQNbPbw
    Not sure why this has to happen...
  • Options
    Two other items of information I just learned this morning. 

First, Stephen Miller is the author and main proponent of the “zero tolerance” policy, including the component of separating children from their families. He called it “an easy decision to make”. Is anyone surprised that this creep is responsible?

Second, Trump’s administration is alone in treating all unauthorized border crossing as a criminal offence rather than a civil matter, even when the individuals have claimed asylum due to fear of persecution if they return to their home communities. No exceptions. This is inhumane. 
    Yeah Stephen Miller another supremacist !
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    edited June 2018
    ‘America is better than this’: What a doctor saw in a Texas shelter for migrant children

But the first child who caught the prominent pediatrician’s attention during a recent visit was anything but happy. Inside a room dedicated to toddlers was a little girl no older than 2, screaming and pounding her fists on a mat. One woman tried to give her toys and books to calm her down, but even that shelter worker seemed frustrated, Kraft told The Washington Post, because as much as she wanted to console the little girl, she couldn’t touch, hold or pick her up to let her know everything would be all right. That was the rule, Kraft said she was told: They’re not allowed to touch the children.

“The really devastating thing was that we all knew what was going on with this child. We all knew what the problem was,” Kraft said. “She didn’t have her mother, and none of us can fix that.”

Such a situation could have long-term, devastating effects on young children, who are likely to develop what is called toxic stress in their brain once separated from caregivers or parents they trusted. It disrupts a child’s brain development and increases the levels of fight-or-flight hormones in their bodies, Kraft said. This kind of emotional trauma could eventually lead to health problems, such as heart disease and substance abuse disorders.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2018/06/16/america-is-better-than-this-what-a-doctor-saw-in-a-texas-shelter-for-migrant-children/?utm_term=.95b8feb91f4c

Barbaric. How could any human defend this?
    Post edited by dignin on
  • Options
    dignin said:
    ‘America is better than this’: What a doctor saw in a Texas shelter for migrant children

But the first child who caught the prominent pediatrician’s attention during a recent visit was anything but happy. Inside a room dedicated to toddlers was a little girl no older than 2, screaming and pounding her fists on a mat. One woman tried to give her toys and books to calm her down, but even that shelter worker seemed frustrated, Kraft told The Washington Post, because as much as she wanted to console the little girl, she couldn’t touch, hold or pick her up to let her know everything would be all right. That was the rule, Kraft said she was told: They’re not allowed to touch the children.

“The really devastating thing was that we all knew what was going on with this child. We all knew what the problem was,” Kraft said. “She didn’t have her mother, and none of us can fix that.”

Such a situation could have long-term, devastating effects on young children, who are likely to develop what is called toxic stress in their brain once separated from caregivers or parents they trusted. It disrupts a child’s brain development and increases the levels of fight-or-flight hormones in their bodies, Kraft said. This kind of emotional trauma could eventually lead to health problems, such as heart disease and substance abuse disorders.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2018/06/16/america-is-better-than-this-what-a-doctor-saw-in-a-texas-shelter-for-migrant-children/?utm_term=.95b8feb91f4c

And what makes it worse, like it needs to be any worse, is Trump can’t even admit that it’s his administration that’s doing this. He’s doubling down on the lie that this is because of a “Democrat law”, and it seems people believe that. It’s not a Dem law. It’s not a law at all. It’s Republican policy and he won’t even own it because he knows it’s repugnant. 
  • Options
    dignin said:

F**king brutal.

Long term health risks aside... it's a f**king child. Is it autotrons running these shelters? 
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,539
    Should be no surprise that the head white house nazi came up with this.....

Report: Trump Adviser Stephen Miller Pushed for Border Separation Policy
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,685
    Re. the "What a doctor in Texas saw" article above: 

A segment of a large mammal species with an enlarged brain that brutalizes and traumatizes infants--- that's one of the most horrible depictions of a monster as you will find.  What kind of fucked up bullshit is that?  How is it possible for some people to be that fucked up?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Yep this is a inhumane policy and this country needs to denounce it & the GOP are no better where is Goudy where’s Fucking Cruz isn’t he one of the senators with immigrant parents where is fucking Rubio ! Ashamed naturalized American citizen here !
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,539
    Yep this is a inhumane policy and this country needs to denounce it & the GOP are no better where is Goudy where’s Fucking Cruz isn’t he one of the senators with immigrant parents where is fucking Rubio ! Ashamed naturalized American citizen here !
    Remember when Russia was the enemy and not a dictatorship that we emulated?

• Options
    Remember when Russia was the enemy and not a dictatorship that we emulated?

Yeah Baffoon is learning a whole lot about oppression of its population he probably talks to him thru secret channels all the time ...I wonder what’s the next lesson will be how to get rid of media members that 
  • Options
    Write negative articles in regards to his presidency ..
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,142
    edited June 2018
    tbergs said:
    brianlux said:
    tbergs said:
    I mean really, aren't they all? It's just internet banter and no action among the same dozen posters in every thread with an occasional guest appearance. 
    You mean nobody has changed anybodies mind here?  What?  You mean I've wasted all this time?  NOOO! 

Well, I think we're getting really close to convincing Mcgruff that Riot Act is a masterpiece and You Are is pure gold. I think Thirty is also reconsidering whether Trump supporters have 2 teeth instead of 1. :)

I saw a photo of a bunch of Trump guys. They were shooting their guns in the air and drinking beer in the back of a rusted Fargo. One of them was blowing into a moonshine jug. I thought he had two teeth, but I magnified the picture and saw he only had one tooth- the other 'tooth' was actually a mint.

The guy still only had one tooth, but obviously he's one of the more classier Trump guys- concerning himself with halitosis. He even had GWG denim overalls and he wore socks in his boots! I had my suspicions he might have been Rolemodel... but I really can't tell.  
    I don't have any teeth, that must have been my cousin, that lucky bastard.
    Post edited by RoleModelsinBlood31 on
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    brianlux said:
    tbergs said:

I don't have any teeth, that must have been my cousin, that lucky bastard.
    Lol

Well hey... you got fingers (you type) sooo... you got that goin' for ya!
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    unsung said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    OnWis97 said:
    PJPOWER said:

Absolutely. 

You're really a piece of fucking work.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,844
    Should be no surprise that the head white house nazi came up with this.....

Report: Trump Adviser Stephen Miller Pushed for Border Separation Policy
    Stop with the Nazi bs please.  We are no where near Nazi Germany. If I do something illegal I go to jail without my kids. These people are crossing the border illegally and being sent to jail....would you like the children to join their parents in jail?
    again I don’t support this policy but illegal immigration is a huge problem that has been around for a long time. I give trump credit for having the Stones to at least Do something to try and stop this. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......