Options

Shows are no longer 3 hours/ less encores/less songs? Discuss

Comments

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,006
    Ray J. T. said:
    lolobugg said:
    my2hands said:
    Call me kooky, but I'll take as much PJ as I can get and prefer 30+ song 3+ hour shows... but of course that's just me, a kooky PJ fan that knows their entire catalog backwards. One of the aforementioned "freaks", if you will (Albany 2006)

Its labeled as an "Evening with Pearl Jam" and they only play about 15 shows per year??? because of these things, I hope 3 hour shows remain the standard

I have to agree with this. if they were still playing 60 shows a year then I could understand cutting it back.

I will honestly be disappointed if they don't hit at least 30 songs for the American Ballpark shows. These shows feel more like destinations than just a regular tour.

Also, if they start trimming the set.... the chance of hearing rarities diminish substantially.

and sorry to sound like a whiny bitch, but after 30+ shows, I would rather hear Hold On rather than Betterman.

Agreed. I think @lolobugg and @my2hands are spot on. I like the fact that the band doesn't do an extensive tour, but at least they are doing some kind of tour on a yearly basis. Taking the fact that they are not doing 60+ shows a tour into consideration, I like to see as much of the band as possible at any show I am at. And it couldn't have been said better, the shorter the setlists the smaller the chances of catching the rarities  and white whales that everybody chases. 
    I hate this fucking white-whale "crossing of songs off a list bullshit". Fuck how small or big the chances of rarites are. 

The tenclubbers in front of me in Sthlm 2014 looking AT THEIR PHONES through put the show except for when they played Gardenm, Better Things and All those yesterdays - because they could cross things off on that iphone app they were talking about and looking at before the show started. Fuck 'em.

And they were wearing backpacks to a concert. 

Fuck people crossing off songs off a checklist and especially wearing backpacks. Lack of empathy for other people.

It's cool having songs you want to hear and falling in love with "obscure" songs. But all this "I got one song left to finish off Vitalogy" shit. I can't stand it. 

And man, Dirty Livin' is such a groovy song. I wanna know what Mike thinks about Dynasty. Anyone has any insight? ...anyone?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,861
    rummy said:
    Ray J. T. said:
    rummy said:
    I'm the first to admit that I'm a bit of a song hunter but I wish I wasn't one. I suppose it's difficult to NOT be one with the way Pearl Jam varies their setlist from show to show but I have to admit that I sometimes wonder if this trait lessens my OWN overall experience when attending the show. I find myself not as "into" a song I've heard before while it's being performed and already waiting for the next one, which I am hoping I've yet to have witnessed!

First world problems, I know.
    I know the feeling very well. But at the same time I continuously remind myself that I am seeing them live at the moment, and there aren't a whole lot of places or a whole lot of things I'd rather be visiting or doing than taking it all in at a PJ show. That song or 2 will eventually come as long as this band continues to stick together and giving us somewhat of a tour every year. 
    I hear ya! And don't get me wrong, I still enjoy myself. I love the atmosphere of a Pearl Jam show more than almost anything. But, for example, I caught myself being rather disappointed during the second encore of Toronto #2, 2016 when they played Better Man and Black (and I really like those two tunes) when they had played them the night before. I was hoping for, say, Jeremy (haven't witnessed it since my first show in 1998) and maybe Spin The Black Circle - a song I've never seen live. 
    I completely understand what you are saying here. For example I found myself saying the same thing after the 2 shows in Wrigley 2016. They had a damn good opportunity to had covered the Ten album over the span of the 2 nights. Instead they repeated a couple of songs from Ten like Jeremy, Evenflow, and Alive. Why not replace some of these with songs that got no attention from the album the following night? Not that I needed this to happen by any means, I have completed Ten a few times throughout the years, But this was supposed to be somewhat of a 25th anniversary to the band and the album. I am surprised you haven't caught STBC live yet. I feel like that is one they do quite often. We just have to hang in there. Our songs will eventually come. At least I hope they will. :lol:
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    Ray J. T. said:
    lolobugg said:
    my2hands said:
    Call me kooky, but I'll take as much PJ as I can get and prefer 30+ song 3+ hour shows... but of course that's just me, a kooky PJ fan that knows their entire catalog backwards. One of the aforementioned "freaks", if you will (Albany 2006)

Its labeled as an "Evening with Pearl Jam" and they only play about 15 shows per year??? because of these things, I hope 3 hour shows remain the standard

I have to agree with this. if they were still playing 60 shows a year then I could understand cutting it back.

I will honestly be disappointed if they don't hit at least 30 songs for the American Ballpark shows. These shows feel more like destinations than just a regular tour.

Also, if they start trimming the set.... the chance of hearing rarities diminish substantially.

and sorry to sound like a whiny bitch, but after 30+ shows, I would rather hear Hold On rather than Betterman.

Agreed. I think @lolobugg and @my2hands are spot on. I like the fact that the band doesn't do an extensive tour, but at least they are doing some kind of tour on a yearly basis. Taking the fact that they are not doing 60+ shows a tour into consideration, I like to see as much of the band as possible at any show I am at. And it couldn't have been said better, the shorter the setlists the smaller the chances of catching the rarities  and white whales that everybody chases. 
    I hate this fucking white-whale "crossing of songs off a list bullshit". Fuck how small or big the chances of rarites are. 

The tenclubbers in front of me in Sthlm 2014 looking AT THEIR PHONES through put the show except for when they played Gardenm, Better Things and All those yesterdays - because they could cross things off on that iphone app they were talking about and looking at before the show started. Fuck 'em.

Fuck people crossing off songs off a checklist and especially wearing backpacks. Lack of empathy for other people.

It's cool having songs you want to hear and falling in love with "obscure" songs. But all this "I got one song left to finish off Vitalogy" shit. I can't stand it. 

And man, Dirty Livin' is such a groovy song. I wanna know what Mike thinks about Dynasty. Anyone has any insight? ...anyone?

well excuse me, Mr. KISS.

at least I don't wear backpacks :lol:

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,848
    I started the thread about the longest PJ shows ever (bootleg length) back in 2013/2014. 

I have been begging members to update it for the last four years but no one has done it. 

If any intrepid bootleg fans want to check out the total running times of the shows from their playlists it would be a great service to the PJ community. Thanks!
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,848
    My gf was blown away that Beyonce played 25 songs at cachella. 25!!!! I will be taking her to the seattle shows in August, so hopefully PJ goes for broke. Is 35 too much to ask?

I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    Ray J. T. said:
    lolobugg said:
    my2hands said:

I hear ya. Don't get me misunderstood,  I am not the type that particularly chases songs just to cross them off a list or to complete an album. The songs that I have been chasing are songs that I genuinely love and want to see and hear them performed live. I want to take it all in at the moment hearing and seeing them perform it live. And I couldn't agree with you more about the fans on their phones during the show, be present in the moment. I have never nor will I ever take my phone out during a show, don't care if they are playing Evenflow or RVM or any song we know that we are guaranteed to get on any given night. Take that 1 picture or 2 for the moment, and then take it all in. 
  • Options
    Ray J. T. said:
    Ray J. T. said:
    lolobugg said:
    my2hands said:

I hear ya. Don't get me misunderstood,  I am not the type that particularly chases songs just to cross them off a list or to complete an album. The songs that I have been chasing are songs that I genuinely love and want to see and hear them performed live. I want to take it all in at the moment hearing and seeing them perform it live. And I couldn't agree with you more about the fans on their phones during the show, be present in the moment. I have never nor will I ever take my phone out during a show, don't care if they are playing Evenflow or RVM or any song we know that we are guaranteed to get on any given night. Take that 1 picture or 2 for the moment, and then take it all in. 

I would like to say that I don't chase songs.... but I was def guilty of chasing "Hard to Imagine" in 1998.

Added an extra show to the tour because I just had a "feeling" that they were gonna play it and they did.

I was hooked after that!

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    lolobugg said:
    Ray J. T. said:
    Ray J. T. said:
    lolobugg said:
    my2hands said:

I would like to say that I don't chase songs.... but I was def guilty of chasing "Hard to Imagine" in 1998.

Added an extra show to the tour because I just had a "feeling" that they were gonna play it and they did.

I was hooked after that!

Been lucky to catch this one a few times and couldn't agree more with you. Hell of a song to catch live. My favorite performance of mine to date is when they opened with HTI Boston 2008 night 1. Blew the amphitheater away. We already knew the kind of night we were in for at that moment. 
  • Options
    Ray J. T. said:
    lolobugg said:
    Ray J. T. said:
    Ray J. T. said:
    lolobugg said:
    my2hands said:

I was hooked after that!

Been lucky to catch this one a few times and couldn't agree more with you. Hell of a song to catch live. My favorite performance of mine to date is when they opened with HTI Boston 2008 night 1. Blew the amphitheater away. We already knew the kind of night we were in for at that moment. 

such a cool opener. got it again in Chicago 2009.

i think the thing that makes PJ such an exciting live band is that they don't just roll out the greatest hits.

These last 3 shows overall seemed to be just a average fan's dream.  i am anything but an average fan.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Ray J. T. said:
    Ray J. T. said:
    lolobugg said:
    my2hands said:

Haha. Just wanna add - I don't care if people take 10 pictures of films a song or two with their phones. There is a value to youtube and the videos on there.

These gurlzzzz with their backpacks were looking DOWN AT their phones at the show, and only looked up when they realized it was a song "worth to watch, to check it off". If they played Angry birds on their phones or sending texts to their friends I do not know. 

You can hear on the ALIVE II album that, that people did not play Angry Birds during shows in 1976 with KISS. Because that overbearing blanket of crowd noise is obviously not added afterwards in the studio. NO SIRE-EE. Why would Eddie Kramer do something like that.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    lolobugg said:
    Ray J. T. said:
    lolobugg said:
    Ray J. T. said:
    Ray J. T. said:
    lolobugg said:
    my2hands said:

I was hooked after that!

i think the thing that makes PJ such an exciting live band is that they don't just roll out the greatest hits.

These last 3 shows overall seemed to be just a average fan's dream.  i am anything but an average fan.

I was there for both shows in Chicago 2009 as well. Both those shows blew the roof off the arena IMO. I thought they came strong those both nights. But yes, for the most part we are all more than just the average fan here. 
  • Options
    Ray J. T. said:
    lolobugg said:
    Ray J. T. said:
    lolobugg said:
    Ray J. T. said:
    Ray J. T. said:
    lolobugg said:
    my2hands said:

I was hooked after that!

I was there for both shows in Chicago 2009 as well. Both those shows blew the roof off the arena IMO. I thought they came strong those both nights. But yes, for the most part we are all more than just the average fan here. 

those were great back to back shows

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    lolobugg said:
    Ray J. T. said:
    Ray J. T. said:
    lolobugg said:
    my2hands said:

I was hooked after that!

I adore Hard to imagine. A perfect song. Pearl Jams songs with mood are the best pearl jam songs. Masterpiece.

First time I heard it. Still the best version Ive seen or heard.

https://youtu.be/IKxX0B1Kwv4?t=1h6m26s
  • Options
    lolobugg said:
    Ray J. T. said:
    lolobugg said:
    Ray J. T. said:
    lolobugg said:
    Ray J. T. said:
    Ray J. T. said:
    lolobugg said:
    my2hands said:

I was hooked after that!

Hell yea they were. 
  • Options

lolobugg said:
    Ray J. T. said:
    Ray J. T. said:
    lolobugg said:
    my2hands said:

I was hooked after that!

I adore Hard to imagine. A perfect song. Pearl Jams songs with mood are the best pearl jam songs. Masterpiece.

First time I heard it. Still the best version Ive seen or heard.

https://youtu.be/IKxX0B1Kwv4?t=1h6m26s
    Absolutely. Just like this version of Long Road that had a ton of emotion behind it. Just like Chicago 2009! 

https://youtu.be/M6TO65ecCRA
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,771
    I always realize how spoiled I am as a Pearl Jam fan when I go to see any other band and after their 19-22 song, hour & 45 minute set I'm left thinking "That's it? That's the whole show?" :wink:
    pearl jam has single handedly ruined all other shows for me because of this. I have to remind myself "no other band I like does this, it's normal to play only 20 songs!". 

Plus, out of those 20 songs, maybe the band only "takes" 22-25 on the road and 95% of the setlist is predictable based on previous nights.
    100%. I followed a canadian band around and saw them 7 times in the span of a year. save for a few rotations, the setlist was largely the same. it was admittedly a little difficult to get excited. 

after 30 years together, another band I love (and who is only a party time band now) is FINALLY throwing some rarities into their sets, and they only come here once a year or so, so it's a nice change. 

With some bands, I'm sure some of that setlist stuff is related to pyro or other displays. If you have a song that requires blue pyro or maybe some green confetti, well, taking the pyro/confetti on the road requires a bit of planning.

But yeah... A lot of bands who have been on the road for 20+ years (say...Metallica and Chili Peppers) are quite bland when it comes to setlist variety.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,057
    My gf was blown away that Beyonce played 25 songs at cachella. 25!!!! I will be taking her to the seattle shows in August, so hopefully PJ goes for broke. Is 35 too much to ask?

I saw Beyoncé once too, but I don’t think it counts when the hits like Survivor are only played for 30 seconds. 
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I won the lottery, it was only a million dollars....
  • Options
    dresi_4dresi_4 Czech Republic Posts: 92
    Am I the only one who thinks that Ed's voice sounds kinda weak? Especially Pinkpop seemed rough. Light Years in Amsterdam was missing that ending I like, Glorified G also wasn't as intense. This could be the main reason for shorter sets. He sounded much better during the SA tour earlier this year.
    2014 Vienna
    2018 Prague, Krakow
    2022 Krakow, Prague
  • Options
    cyrielbuyssecyrielbuysse Posts: 196
    I really dont understand why they keep sticking to lightning bolt in the main set instead of something of no code, yield, binaural etc. It’s like many songs of the last fifteen years that were played often are now becoming super rare (like nais or in hiding, I am mine...). 
    2006 Arnhem - Antwerp - Paris 2007 Nijmegen - Werchter 2009 Rotterdam 2010 Nijmegen - Arras - Werchter 2012 Amsterdam - Werchter - Arras - Berlin 2014 Amsterdam - Berlin - Werchter 2018 Pinkpop - London - Berlin - Werchter - London
    @BelgianPJfan
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,754
    I really dont understand why they keep sticking to lightning bolt in the main set instead of something of no code, yield, binaural etc. It’s like many songs of the last fifteen years that were played often are now becoming super rare (like nais or in hiding, I am mine...). 
    This but MYM instead. Short and good song but not a song I need to hear at every show in 2018. LB every second or 3rd show would be perfect as well. 
  • Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,957
    dresi_4 said:
    Am I the only one who thinks that Ed's voice sounds kinda weak? Especially Pinkpop seemed rough. Light Years in Amsterdam was missing that ending I like, Glorified G also wasn't as intense. This could be the main reason for shorter sets. He sounded much better during the SA tour earlier this year.
    Only went to night 1 in Amsterdam but Eddie sounded superb. The whole band were on fire.
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Options
    iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,538

Yes please for all the above!  It is not a Lightning Bolt tour anymore  (hasn't been for a while).  
  • Options
    ryph raphryph raph Posts: 887
    I don’t think it had to do with curfew... band was off the stage at 10:45 each night 

Stone has a 11 o'clock bedtime.

Past that and he gets cranky.

Can't have him nodding off during the 2nd set of encores.

10-26-91 Cleveland
    4-2-92
    7-29-92
    5-4-95 Hovercraft / Cleveland
    8-26-98
    4-25-03
    5-20-06
    8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
    10-31-09 Philadelphia
    5-09-10 Cleveland
    5-10-10 Buffalo
    6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
    10-11-13 Pittsburgh
    10-12-13 Buffalo
    10-29-13 Charlottesville
    4-18-16 Hampton
    8-22-16 Chicago

• Options
    DeadmanDeadman Posts: 784
    Dare I say it...
    I HOPE THEY BRING BACK OPENING BANDS!
  • Options
    aurelgugusaurelgugus France & Luxembourg Posts: 499
    tino_11 said:
    dresi_4 said:
    Only went to night 1 in Amsterdam but Eddie sounded superb. The whole band were on fire.
    Regarding Eddie’s voice, Amsterdam 1 was better than Amsterdam 2 but still OK. However his voice was not that great at Pinkpop.
    2012 : Amsterdam 2
    2014 : Amsterdam 1&2, Milan, Berlin, Werchter
    2018 : Amsterdam 1&2, Pinkpop, London 1, Berlin, Werchter, London 2
    2020 : ?
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,744
    Ray J. T. said:
    lolobugg said:
    Ray J. T. said:
    lolobugg said:
    Ray J. T. said:
    lolobugg said:
    Ray J. T. said:
    Ray J. T. said:
    lolobugg said:
    my2hands said:

I was hooked after that!

Hell yea they were. 
    What an awesome couple of nights.  Still can't believe that is the last time they played the UC.  Can't complain since we've had PJ20 relatively close and soon to be 5 shows at Wrigley since then, but I really hope they get back to the UC at some point.  PJ at the UC just feels right.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,157
    edited June 2018
    I don't think white whales are bad.  Yes it's bad if people are on their phones crossing them off in the app during the concert.  For me, it's always been a mental thing.  I know a bunch of songs I've never seen, and it's cool when I get to here them.

The 3 hour "era" shows I've seen.   5 of them (Vancouver/Seattle 13, Pemberton, Wrigleyx2 2016).  I got to see a lot of deep cuts.  Especially old school ones I've loved and listened too since high school.     I remember PJ doing deep cuts way back on the Yield tour, but it was usually 1 or 2 songs in the encore kind of thing.    Those 3 hour shows.  Some of them had 5 or 6 in a show (or more).   I had to cross off my white whales and make new ones. 

I did love the 3 hour shows.  So much PJ and so much more time to delve into a gigantic catalog.  The setlist for the newer shorter shows, does seem to cut out some of the deep cuts.   Still it's PJ.  They'll kick just as much ass for 2.5 hours as they do for 3.     But I'll take 3 hours of PJ over 2.5 hours of PJ any day :)
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    KC138045 said:
    jam more please, number of songs doesn't matter....more jamming
    Wrong!  Go to a Phish concert if you want a jam session

• Options
    guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    KC138045 said:

guypjfreak said:I agree.. Not loads of jamming please.. More songs. . 
    KC138045 said: