***OFFICIAL FOO FIGHTERS THREAD***

Comments

• buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I am glad I did not buy those Wrigley Foo GA tickets I had in my cart.  Hope I get some PJ GA tickets!!!!
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    goldrush said:
    The band tensions were pretty well documented at the time. They scrapped the first sessions because they hated the songs, and there were a lot of arguments within the band. It seemed like they may split up around that time - Dave joined QOTSA for a while, Taylor was hospitalised...

I think it still holds up as a good album - All My Life is such a great song - but it's clear it was a pretty dark time for them.
    yeah, i was shocked to hear Dave say that, as I really dug the album too. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,888
    edited February 2018
    Pap said:
    Pap said:
    SO GUYS -- WHAT'S THE BEST FOO ALBUM?
    1) In Your Honor
    2) Wasting Light
    3) One By One
    funny. Dave hates One By One. 
    It was the first Foos' album that I've ever listened to. When did he say that?
    "I was kinda pissed at myself for the last record," says Dave Grohl about the Foo Fighters' 2002 release One by One. "Four of the songs were good, and the other seven I never played again in my life. We rushed into it, and we rushed out of it."

https://web.archive.org/web/20080620004823/http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/7281787/foos_reclaim_their_honor

They’re pretty much down to playing only two of the One By One songs now.

As far as my top 3, The Colour and The Shape and Wasting Light are 1 and 1a. for me, depending on which one I’ve listened to most recently, followed by the first album.
    Post edited by kasedoug on
    HOLY SHIT. I JUST QUALIFIED TO WIN A TRIP TO SEE THEM AT SAFECO FIELD. 1 OF 20 ENTRANTS. ONE OF THE OTHER 19 IS A BUDDY OF MINE (who didn't hear his name called, I tracked him down and he called in time-GOOD MOJO!).  FIND OUT FRIDAY MORNING. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    HOLY SHIT. I JUST QUALIFIED TO WIN A TRIP TO SEE THEM AT SAFECO FIELD. 1 OF 20 ENTRANTS. ONE OF THE OTHER 19 IS A BUDDY OF MINE (who didn't hear his name called, I tracked him down and he called in time-GOOD MOJO!).  FIND OUT FRIDAY MORNING. 

good luck, man!!!

I won tix to PJ Hampton thru Global Citizen.

I never believed this contests were on the up and up until I actually won.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    That's so awesome, good luck. I have my fingers crossed for you :lucky: Foo Fighters were in great form in Australia a few months ago. 
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    Whoohoo!!! Keep us posted! :plus_one:
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,122
    Good luck Hugh! :lucky:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Good luck
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    did not win. :bawling:
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• did not win. :bawling:

Shoot. I was just about to wish you good luck.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    they are giving away 8 trips. this was the 3rd one. I am still able to qualify. Here's hoping. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited March 2018
    Don't give up yet... .Good luck for the next draw :lucky:
  • SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    Some lawn tix were just re-released for the 4/26 show for $45 if anybody is interested...
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited June 2018
    Went to the Gothenburg show...

It's great and all I guess. But feels so shallow. Hit after hit after hit and with Dave being Dave.

I felt quite full of them after their 2010 show in Sweden, and I guess that is still the case. 

The opening act GOAT was much more interesting (too me).

I don't know if I need to hear songs like Breakout and Learn to fly more in my life.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    probably selling our Wrigley tickets, too much going on that week.

It's great and all I guess. But feels so shallow. Hit after hit after hit and with Dave being Dave.

I felt quite full of them after their 2010 show in Sweden, and I guess that is still the case. 

I don't know if I need to hear songs like Breakout and Learn to fly more in my life.
    it's so unfortunate they are a greatest hits band. I guess you don't have much choice when you play to tens of thousands each night. but still, so many good songs get forgotten for the sole reason they weren't on the radio or on some soundtrack. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• I like their hits. That's the kind of band the Foos are when you think about it. They aren't a jam band as much as they are a good time rock and roll band (come have fun).

I don't expect them to be Pearl Jam... or DMB. But I still really like them! I'm really looking forward to the Vancouver show in September.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    edited June 2018

it's so unfortunate they are a greatest hits band. I guess you don't have much choice when you play to tens of thousands each night. but still, so many good songs get forgotten for the sole reason they weren't on the radio or on some soundtrack. 
    I like their hits. That's the kind of band the Foos are when you think about it. They aren't a jam band as much as they are a good time rock and roll band (come have fun).

I don't expect them to be Pearl Jam... or DMB. But I still really like them! I'm really looking forward to the Vancouver show in September.
    I don't either. But there is just something wrong (too me), when you hear song after song and it feels like you've put on a Greatest Hits playlist. Ofc, they can not help that they have had so many huge hits and the crowd really loved it and Dave is great at getting the crowd excited. 

But I was so happy when Taylor sang that Sunday Rain song, to get a break from Dave and the hits. 

And Next Year was a single with an amazing music video, they should play that one. And The One. They have a lot of songs to dig into, especially the slower ones. 

So - A great show. But a 8 year break wasn't enough to feel hungry for them. Haha. 

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    This is pretty damn cool

https://youtu.be/eDnaD-UVOnI

Del James has a great video on his Facebook page, showing the build up to this as well
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    This is pretty damn cool

https://youtu.be/eDnaD-UVOnI

Del James has a great video on his Facebook page, showing the build up to this as well
    Haha. Nice!
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    edited July 2018
    Awesome show Saturday in Camden. Can't believe it's been 3 years since they've been here. The Under Pressure cover with Taylor singing and the Struts lead singer was great.
    Post edited by JK_Livin on
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936

I like their hits. That's the kind of band the Foos are when you think about it. They aren't a jam band as much as they are a good time rock and roll band (come have fun).

I don't either. But there is just something wrong (too me), when you hear song after song and it feels like you've put on a Greatest Hits playlist. Ofc, they can not help that they have had so many huge hits and the crowd really loved it and Dave is great at getting the crowd excited. 

But I was so happy when Taylor sang that Sunday Rain song, to get a break from Dave and the hits. 

And Next Year was a single with an amazing music video, they should play that one. And The One. They have a lot of songs to dig into, especially the slower ones. 

So - A great show. But a 8 year break wasn't enough to feel hungry for them. Haha. 

I feel that way too.  They basically play the same setlist every night which is disappointing.  They do seem to be a greatest hits band (live) at this point.  I guess that's ok but it doesn't make me want to see them more than once per tour.

I caught both Radiohead shows in Chicago..only 8 songs repeated on night 2
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298

Seeing them tomorrow night in Ottawa. Its been 20 years since my last Foos show, so I'm sure it wont feel too stale.

definitely a greatest hits band though. Its a Shame because there are lots of good ones hiding behind the hits.

• buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    These guys should do full-album shows

Seeing them tomorrow night in Ottawa. Its been 20 years since my last Foos show, so I'm sure it wont feel too stale.

definitely a greatest hits band though. Its a Shame because there are lots of good ones hiding behind the hits.

You'll have a great night. I saw them earlier in the year. The new songs are good live and the covers they do are lots of fun. 
  • kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,888
    These guys should do full-album shows
    A couple months before they released Wasting Light, they did a handful of pop up club shows around LA where they started each show by playing WL top to bottom, plus ~20 more songs afterward. They'd drop hints on twitter day of, and then reveal the club at 5pm. It'd be a mad dash to the venue to get a wristband for $20. Such a thrill to get into a few of those.
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298

You'll have a great night. I saw them earlier in the year. The new songs are good live and the covers they do are lots of fun. 

Thanks, and I look forward to grabbing the show poster without any hassle, unlike the current state of our PJ union.
  • ST66483ST66483 Posts: 673
    I also haven’t seen the Foos in about 20 years and am headed this week.  Really looking forward to it.

What’s the poster scene like at their shows - plenty availabile? Or more like PJ where showing up early is a must?
    thanks