Proposing to my Girlfriend in Italy

jcmitchell28jcmitchell28 Fort Worth Posts: 212
Good morning All,

I am all booked to see the Padova and Rome shows with my girlfriend in a few weeks.  I have been ready to propose for a while, and am looking for some feedback from both male and female PJ fans.

Has anyone proposed at a PJ show?  
If so, how did it go?  
Is it a good idea or bad idea to do it at the show?

Thanks in advance for your input.  Trying to decide the best way to do this. :blush:

Comments

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I proposed after a show. If they had played "Untitled," I would've proposed to her at the show. Either way, I'm fucking married.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,350
    Don't do it

:lol:
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    So - is Pearl Jam your thing?  Her thing? or both equal? 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • jcmitchell28jcmitchell28 Fort Worth Posts: 212
    dankind said:
    I proposed after a show. If they had played "Untitled," I would've proposed to her at the show. Either way, I'm fucking married.
    HAHAHA!  This will be my second marriage, so I understand.

So if the song is right and the spirit moves me...do it!!!
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    edited June 2018
    dankind said:
    HAHAHA!  This will be my second marriage, so I understand.

So if the song is right and the spirit moves me...do it!!!

Ha ... if the song moves her, than its the right time. =)

and Goodluck

So - is Pearl Jam your thing?  Her thing? or both equal? 
    More mine than hers, but she is way into it.  We just got a house together and she LOVES decorating with my PJ posters.
  • wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    So many wonderful sites in Italy I'd do it in a much more romantic spot than a Pearl Jam show.

But as mentioned above, if Pearl Jam is both of you "thing" then do it, if it's your thing and she is just super awesome to travel with you when seeing them then do it somewhere more memorable to her.

NYPJ
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    If it were me, I wouldnt do it at a PJ show unless she is a super-fan and it is one of her top pleasures.

Youre in Italy.  There are 1,000 things you can do to propose to blow her socks off.  Do that.  Then use the show as a celebration!
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    I wish a stranger proposes to me. I'm 34 and has nothing going for me. I'd say yes.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Congrats!
    Since you are looking for opinions, I would do it during the trip in a spot you think she will find breathtaking and remember forever. 
    Think if the pictures you can take (assuming she says yes!) afterword with some dramatic backdrop.
    I looked up Padua images and there seem to be some pretty spectacular locales.
    You can then spend the rest of the trip riding that glow...

I love PJ shows more than almost anything, and my wife enjoys them, but I would vote to do it somewhere before one of the shows.

Good luck and great times ahead!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Congrats!
    Since you are looking for opinions, I would do it during the trip in a spot you think she will find breathtaking and remember forever. 
    Think if the pictures you can take (assuming she says yes!) afterword with some dramatic backdrop.

I love PJ shows more than almost anything, and my wife enjoys them, but I would vote to do it somewhere before one of the shows.

So getting down on one knee on the filthy floor of a dive bar ranks where exactly?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,694
    Don't  do just breathe that's an awful idea
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    dankind said:
    Congrats!

So getting down on one knee on the filthy floor of a dive bar ranks where exactly?
    That's rank, yo.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    dankind said:
    Congrats!

They all should rank as amazing.  it is the people, of course, and not the location.  I did it in our living room.  Nothing incredibly romantic or memorable about that location!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Yeah I'm not sure I'd want to propose around a lot of loud, drunk, crazy people....but if it's both your thing, sounds just as good as any other.  It all depends on what you want.  Private moment vs lots of people.  Serenity vs craziness.  Both can work and in reality it doesn't matter one bit, so do what feels right for you and your lady.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    I am a fan of private proposals.  My husband carried me through the snow and to a beautiful bridge in the National Park.  He knelt down and it was just the two of us.  A private moment, a private setting... Just us.  

Just a thought.  
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • shawnb199shawnb199 Posts: 132
    At a show is a terrible idea. So is a baseball game or any other huge public event.

Spend a day in Venice. Take the waterbus to Lido and walk to the beach. Find a long pier and walk to the end so you can propose to her in the middle of the ocean with a nice beach and beautiful Italian city as the backdrop.
  • PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    Not at the show.  Venice in St. Marks square in the evening, then split a bottle of wine under the stars.  Went there on my honeymoon and made my wife wake up around 8-9p or so after jet lag to listen to classical music by quartet while drinking wine at a table there.  Ultra romantic.  But there are so many better places in Italy to propose, than at the show.  I would agree to have one of the shows as the celebration.
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • I had to do mine in a McDonald’s parking lot in -20 weather, so it could be worse??
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    wall232 said:
    So many wonderful sites in Italy I'd do it in a much more romantic spot than a Pearl Jam show.

But as mentioned above, if Pearl Jam is both of you "thing" then do it, if it's your thing and she is just super awesome to travel with you when seeing them then do it somewhere more memorable to her.

I agree with this. Unless she is ALL about PJ, and that show is considered by her to be a monumental moment in your lives, then do it somewhere more romantic and lovely and more private. But yeah, if you two being at that show together is a BIG HUGE DEAL because your relationship has a massive PJ thread running through it, then do it at the show.
    But hey, you know her best. We can all make our own assumptions and offer our opinions about this, but you're the only one who knows what will be the best, most loving way to propose to her. Just remember, your proposal is you telling her just how much she means to you and that you love her so much you want to spend the rest of your life with her... If you think saying that to her is somehow best expressed while being said at a PJ concert, and doing at that show symbolizes something greater between you and her, then go for it. If not, then maybe don't?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    ^This.  
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    edited June 2018
    PP193448 said:
    Not at the show.  Venice in St. Marks square in the evening, then split a bottle of wine under the stars.  Went there on my honeymoon and made my wife wake up around 8-9p or so after jet lag to listen to classical music by quartet while drinking wine at a table there.  Ultra romantic.  But there are so many better places in Italy to propose, than at the show.  I would agree to have one of the shows as the celebration.
    This. And good luck, please let us know how it went!
  • Amir1978Amir1978 Posts: 143
    Try Terrazza del Gianicolo in Rome. 
    Or Il Pincio. 
    Or Trinità dei Monti (above the Spanish steps). 

Preferably at sunset or night. Good luck!
    Rome 1996 - Milan 2000 - Verona 2006 - London 2009 - EV Hammersmith II 2012 - Milan 2014 - EV Florence & Sicily I-II 2017 - Barolo 2019
    Thanks all for the really good feedback.  It really confirms what I already felt.  We will be in Venice for one day/night before heading to Padova for the first show, so I may do it there.  The engagement should be private and meaningful. The shows will be icing on the cake!

Again, thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply!
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Best of luck.  I think you are on the right track.  Such a great opportunity for an engagement.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,169
    I had to do mine in a McDonald’s parking lot in -20 weather, so it could be worse??
    Hopefully she didn't look at the ring and request it to be supersized.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    MayDay10 said:
    Best of luck.  I think you are on the right track.  Such a great opportunity for an engagement.
    Yeah, even if the marriage winds up being a bust, at least the engagement was awesome.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • jpdannabellejpdannabelle T. Posts: 831
    edited June 2018
    dankind said:
    MayDay10 said:
    Yeah, even if the marriage winds up being a bust, at least the engagement was awesome.
    Lol. You might make the guy change his mind and run for the hills. But at least they’ll always have PJ in italy. But seriously don’t do it at the show. 
    Post edited by jpdannabelle on
    ...........and Evelyn 

• Amir1978Amir1978 Posts: 143
    Thanks all for the really good feedback.  It really confirms what I already felt.  We will be in Venice for one day/night before heading to Padova for the first show, so I may do it there.  The engagement should be private and meaningful. The shows will be icing on the cake!

Again, thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply!
    I proposed to my wife in Venice - it's such a beautiful, romantic and unique place, really just any corner is stunning.
    You'll see! Again good luck and happy travels
    Rome 1996 - Milan 2000 - Verona 2006 - London 2009 - EV Hammersmith II 2012 - Milan 2014 - EV Florence & Sicily I-II 2017 - Barolo 2019
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Hey OP, you may have already dealt with this, but in case you haven't... How are you getting the ring through airport security without your GF knowing about it? Or are you putting it in a checked bag? That seems mildly risky, but I guess bags don't get lost that often. Just FYI, you can call the airport you're flying out from and talk to them about how to get that ring through without security calling attention to it. Apparently they have "methods" that they know and will keep their traps shut if you do it their way.
    Good luck! :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata