MC5's 50th anniversary tour with Kim Thayil & Matt Cameron

demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314
edited July 2018 in The Porch

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/soundgarden-members-to-perform-together-for-first-time-since-chris-cornells-death/

SOUNDGARDEN Members To Perform Together For First Time Since CHRIS CORNELL's Death

SOUNDGARDEN drummer Matt Cameron and guitarist Kim Thayilwill perform together for the first time since the death of SOUNDGARDEN singer Chris Cornell, according to The Pulse Of Radio. The occasion will be the Northside Festival in Denmark on June 8, where Cameron will appear as a special guest of the MC50.

The MC50 is a band that original MC5 guitarist Wayne Kramerhas assembled to celebrate the upcoming 50th anniversary of the MC5's legendary debut album, "Kick Out The Jams". The lineup includes ThayilFUGAZI drummer Brendan CantyKING'S Xbassist Doug Pinnick and others.

Kramer and the band will play the album "Kick Out The Jams" in its entirety followed by an encore of MC5 material that will change each night.

The North American leg of the tour begins in early September and closes out on October 27 in Detroit, where The MC5 was from and first came to national prominence.

Cameron and Thayil made their first public appearance together since Chris Cornell's death last fall to support Vicky Cornell at a Human Rights Watch charity dinner as she accepted an award on behalf of her late husband.

SOUNDGARDEN bassist Ben Shepherd has yet to make any public appearance or statement since Cornell's death, though he was photographed with Chris's brother Peter Cornell in Seattle last year.

Chris Cornell was found hanged in a Detroit hotel room last May 18 after a SOUNDGARDEN concert earlier that night.

Post edited by demetrios on

Comments

• demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314
  • May have to make a trip to Denmark for this... I saw the last Soundgarden show and am seeing these guys in Detroit in Oct. I hope Matt makes a surprise appearance considering the connection.
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031
    Great lineup!  They are coming to STL end of September with this one...
    Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)
    Brendan Canty (Fugazi)
    Dug Pinnick (Kings X)
    Marcus Durant (Zen Guerrilla)
    Wayne Kramer (MC5)
    edited May 2018
    https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/04/soundgardens-kim-thayil-and-matt-cameron-to-reunite-mc5/

Soundgarden’s Kim Thayil and Matt Cameron to reunite for first time since Chris Cornell’s passing

The Soundgarden bandmates will join MC5's Wayne Kramer for a 50th anniversary performance of Kick Out the Jams at Denmark's NorthSide Festival

Kim Thayil and Matt Cameron of Soundgarden
    Kim Thayil and Matt Cameron of Soundgarden

Surviving Soundgarden members Kim Thayil and Matt Cameron haven’t performed together since the passing of frontman Chris Cornell in May 2017. This summer, however, Thayil and Cameron will once again share the stage when they accompany MC5’s Wayne Kramer for a performance at Denmark’s NorthSide Festival.

As previously reported, Thayil was recruited to play guitar for Kramer’s “MC50” tour celebrating the 50th anniversary of MC5’s Kick Out the Jams. Former Fugazi member Brendan Canty will play drums for the majority of the dates, but not for the band’s appearance at NorthSide Festival on June 8th. Instead, Thayil’s Soundgarden bandmate Matt Cameron will sit behind the kit. The performance will also feature legendary producer Don Was on bass and vocalist Marcus Duran of  Zen Guerrilla.

Post edited by demetrios on
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Denmark isnt far from me...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited May 2018

mc50th Hello UK & Europe! #mc50 is coming! #KickOutTheJams 50th Anniversary Tour Pre-Sale Starts TODAY at 9am! #AEGPresents Presale Thurs May 3; Gen Adm Fri May 4. News, Tour Dates & more at www.mc50th.com #Soundgarden #PearlJam #Fugazi_Dischord #MC5 #KingsX #zenguerrilla #wasnotwas #mc5 #officialwaynekramer Watch this and other videos on #YouTube at https://tinyurl.com/MC50-EuroTour

themattcameron #MC50 ready for liftoff.

• pashapasamanpashapasaman Posts: 497
    so is matt and kim available for all the dates?
    PJ 2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    PJ 2018: London 1, Padova, Roma, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon, London 2
    EV 2017: Amsterdam 2&3, London 1&2
  • eyecanwalkeyecanwalk Posts: 707
    demetrios said:

FUCK 
    another reason it sucks to be in a wheelchair  & be healthy to travel.would kill to  be in that jam room for that.
    imagine   all the songs they are playing just to jam out & I bet its getting recorded

• Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    edited June 2018
    Only Denmark? I will definitely go to one of them.
  • Are Matt and Kim playing all the shows?

MC50, 50th Anniversary of Kick Out The Jams
    18 x 24
    Offset Poster
    Printed by Idealposters, series no. 100

MC50 are releasing SUPER FAN PRE-SHOW EXPERIENCE:
    For more information, please visit HERE https://www.cidentertainment.com/events/mc50th-anniversary-tour-2018/

In May 2018, Wayne Kramer announced an MC5 tour to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Kick Out the Jams, with a line-up including himself, plus rock stalwarts Kim Thayil (Soundgarden), Brendan Canty (Fugazi), Doug Pinnick (King’s X), Marcus Durant (Zen Guerrilla), Don Was (Was Not Was), Bill Gould (Faith No More) and Matt Cameron (Pearl Jam).

I’ve been a fan of the MC5 since I was 9 years old. I grew up in a rebellious time in a crucible of art and politics. Swept up by the social transformations of the late-60’s and early-70s, my whole family was effected: an older brother of draft-age, another brother going to Kent State after anti-war activists were shot by the National Guard there, a sister who went to art school in Memphis, and a cousin who lived in the Trans-Love commune in Ann Arbor where MC5 was based. MC5 was the soundtrack of revolutionary times and my family’s immersion in it.

Growing up in Dayton, Ohio, relatively close to Detroit, MC5’s brand of revolutionary rock and roll made a deep impression on me, influenced my musical and artistic tastes, my political development, and helped inspire my commitment to social issues. I have been lucky enough to work with Wayne Kramer on a few tour posters over the years. Wayne is a cultural icon and is always an inspiration to work with. I’m honored to contribute to his legacy as a musician who has rocked so hard in resistance to the injustices of the world. – Chuck Sperry

The only place this poster will be offered in 2018 -- signed and numbered -- is on tour with Wayne Kramer and MC50 in the Super Fan Experience events in North America. Check it out! https://www.cidentertainment.com/events/mc50th-anniversary-tour-2018/
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    Are Matt and Kim playing all the shows?
    Nope, Kim is though.
  • NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    Do we know what shows Matt's doing? I'm tempted as hell for Kim alone; Kim and Matt would make it a no-brainer.
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • Gtilley8Gtilley8 Detroit Posts: 985
    NWOntario said:
    Do we know what shows Matt's doing? I'm tempted as hell for Kim alone; Kim and Matt would make it a no-brainer.
    I got tix to the last show in Detroit.  I expect a couple of surprises.  Not to mention, an uncle Russ Gibb (former teacher at my high school) appearance.  He's the guy that basically started this whole concert poster scene.  Gotta believe there will be another poster in the spirit of the late 60s
    2000 - 8/21 - Columbus, OH
    2003 - 6/18 - Chicago, IL
    2006 - 5/22 - Auburn Hills, MI
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL
    2015 - 9/26 - New York, NY
    2016 - 4/16 - Greenville, SC; 8/20 - Chicago, IL; 8/22 - Chicago, IL
    2018 - 8/18 - Chicago, IL; 8/20 - Chicago, IL

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3045
    demetrios said:
    The only place this poster will be offered in 2018 -- signed and numbered -- is on tour with Wayne Kramer and MC50 in the Super Fan Experience events in North America. Check it out! https://www.cidentertainment.com/events/mc50th-anniversary-tour-2018/

MC50 - WAYNE KRAMER SUPER FAN PRE-SHOW EXPERIENCE

• One (1) general admission floor ticket
    • Join Wayne Kramer for a no-holds-barred conversation before the show (no topic off limits) including an exclusive look into Wayne’s personal guitar collection
    • Personal photo with Wayne Kramer
    • One (1) first edition autographed copy of the upcoming memoir, “The Hard Stuff: Dope, Crime, The MC5, & My Life Of Impossibilities” (Da Capo Press)
    • One (1) limited-edition 18”x24” custom tour poster designed by renowned artist Chuck Sperry
    • One (1) custom Kick Out the Jams anniversary tour merchandise gift bag
    • Early entry into the venue
    • On-site experience host
  • NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    Still no word about what shows Matt's doing, eh? 
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • BikePHLBikePHL Posts: 471

Last nights show in Philly was nothing short of amazing.  Rock ’n’ Roll at its finest and the band seemed like they were having a blast playing with each other.
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011, Eddie Vedder Solo - Tower Theater - June 25, 2011, Tres Mountains - TLA - March 23, 2011, Brad - World Cafe Live- Oct. 10, 2010, Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 31, 2009, Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 27, 2009, Eddie Vedder Solo - Tower Theater- June 12, 2009, Eddie Vedder Solo - Tower Theater- June 11,2009, Susquehanna Bank Center - Jun 20, 2008, Susquehanna Bank Center - Jun 19, 2008, Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - May 27, 2006, Wachovia Center - Oct 03, 2005, Fleet Center - Sep 29, 2004, Tweeter Center - Jul 02, 2003, Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003, First Union Spectrum Arena - Apr 28, 2003, Blockbuster Music Entertainment Center - Aug 29, 1998, RFK Stadium - Jun 14, 1998
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    Anyone who has been to the show...Does Matt come out at the end. Would be my best chance ever to meet him..
  • BikePHLBikePHL Posts: 471
    Pretty sure he’s not touring with then.  Maybe he will show up at a concert but I wouldn’t count on it.  Go to the show any way. Brendan Canty did an amazing job on the drums.
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011, Eddie Vedder Solo - Tower Theater - June 25, 2011, Tres Mountains - TLA - March 23, 2011, Brad - World Cafe Live- Oct. 10, 2010, Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 31, 2009, Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 27, 2009, Eddie Vedder Solo - Tower Theater- June 12, 2009, Eddie Vedder Solo - Tower Theater- June 11,2009, Susquehanna Bank Center - Jun 20, 2008, Susquehanna Bank Center - Jun 19, 2008, Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - May 27, 2006, Wachovia Center - Oct 03, 2005, Fleet Center - Sep 29, 2004, Tweeter Center - Jul 02, 2003, Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003, First Union Spectrum Arena - Apr 28, 2003, Blockbuster Music Entertainment Center - Aug 29, 1998, RFK Stadium - Jun 14, 1998