Of the frequent commenters here, What is your education level?

123457»

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I read on my own
    Is this thread a thinly disguised sorter for labeling and categorizing amt users? Why would someone want to see this information in a political realm unless they planned on attacking/using it to their advantage.  It is interesting, but it shouldn’t matter at all, the only thing that matters with regards to voting is your age to do so.  Opinions/beliefs of amt posters are all equally important regardless of education.
    My guess was that the thread was started as a response to being talked to arrogantly by people on the AMT...just a guess, but I'm guessing you can relate true or not lol 
    ;)
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Post grad
    “Graduated college with degree” individuals consistently and historically have lower unemployment rates than “some college” and “high school graduate,” individuals, per BLS monthly unemployment figures. For those looking for facts.
    So true!

I pointed out earlier that I know people with little formal education who are doing quite a bit better than I am financially despite my chronic schooling.  But the fact is, a degree does generally offer a person a better chance of improved employment.  I know someone right now who is applying for a job that could be a great opportunity for her.  She has certificate from a college but not a degree.  A four year degree would almost certainly assure her that position.  She may get it anyway but that piece of paper could make all the difference.  And the statistics you mention are right on. 

Is this thread a thinly disguised sorter for labeling and categorizing amt users? Why would someone want to see this information in a political realm unless they planned on attacking/using it to their advantage.  It is interesting, but it shouldn’t matter at all, the only thing that matters with regards to voting is your age to do so.  Opinions/beliefs of amt posters are all equally important regardless of education.
    Yeah, as much as I encourage people to go to college, I don't judge people by their level of education.  Should we avoid reading writers like Ray Bradbury, Mark Twain, H.G. Wells, Jack London, Charles Dickens, William Faulkner, Maya Angelou or Jack Kerouac because none of them graduated from college (even though all have works that have been used in college)?  You're right, RoleModel, education level should not matter here.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Some college
    I don't think so.I took it as someone who was looking to see which might inform us better: life experience or formal education. I know I fall behind here a bit, and that could be due in part to my lack of both. I thought it was an interesting and non-judgemental question, and I'm one of the uneducated/inexperienced!  :lol:
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    Post grad
    PJ_Soul said:
    My own personal experience is that, in general, college educated people are better at connecting things that on the surface, don’t appear connected. This improves ability to problem solve. They also are better at communicating thoughts and ideas in writing and verbally. They also tend to have a greater ability to see something from another persons viewpoint and can step outside of their subjective experience. I see this at work, where different education levels are doing the same job, and outside of work. I put ‘in general’ because there’s exceptions either way. 
    Yes - education can develop and hone the very important skill of critical thinking. I personally think that is one of the most valuable things one can get out of education.
    i tend to agree with the idea that college develops critical thinking skills.  i also think that some people have innate critical thinking ability and can get by without college, but i believe those same people would only be that much better with a good college degree.  i say good because it seems like lot of degrees are total bullshit.  that's just an observation or opinion...but, i'd seen a lot of degrees where even senior level exams were simple multiple choice questions.  that's basically just a lazy professor who doesn't want to grade
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,741
    Little bit of redundancy happening....

If you never went to college, your education level would be high school.

If your education level is high school,  then you never went to college.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
    Post grad

if a=b and b=c, then?
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,476
    vaggar99 said:

if a=b and b=c, then?
    T = Treason?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    Post grad
    vaggar99 said:

if a=b and b=c, then?
    T = Treason?
    exactly!!!
  • LongestRoadLongestRoad Posts: 477
    University isn't the be all end all here. Plumbers, electricians, builders, and construction workers earn more than university graduates.
    You've got that right and there's a shortage of those skilled workers since everyone has now put so much hype into getting a college degree that all these kids that are living at home with their parents at age 30 have because they can't find a job and think they shouldn't have to do a job that doesn't involve sitting behind a desk all day. We need  to have counselors in schools advising on all options of education whether technical/skilled labor schools or colleges. 

I wrote the longest sentence ever and I refuse to change it.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Post grad
    University isn't the be all end all here. Plumbers, electricians, builders, and construction workers earn more than university graduates.
    You've got that right and there's a shortage of those skilled workers since everyone has now put so much hype into getting a college degree that all these kids that are living at home with their parents at age 30 have because they can't find a job and think they shouldn't have to do a job that doesn't involve sitting behind a desk all day. We need  to have counselors in schools advising on all options of education whether technical/skilled labor schools or colleges. 

I wrote the longest sentence ever and I refuse to change it.
    Yes, almost as long as the last chapter of James Joyce's Ulysses LOL!

Yeah, if I had a kid getting out of high school (well, hopefully graduating high school at least) I would advise him or her to go one way or the other- learn a trade, or get a college degree.  Kids that are not academically motivated would do better to learn a trade.  Kids that are more interested in ideas and concepts than they are working with their hands are likely to do better if they have a college degree.

What concerns me the most is that so many younger people seem to have little interest in learning hands-on skills.  When I was a kid, I did all kinds of yard work, basic carpentry, gardening, etc.  Now I'm at an age where I'm starting to need help with some of the heavier chores but try to find a handyman/woman or a kid that can do that kind of work?  Good luck.  Or more involved work like electrician or plumbing?  There aren't as many skilled trades people around these days so they can be difficult to schedule.  But the money?  Yeah, they do well, for sure!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,409
    mickeyrat said:
    and yet another poll where "none of your fucking business" isnt an option.......

doesn't appear to have been included in the repeat thread either.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • dankind said:
    Haha. Perfect.