Just a reminder : Puerto Rico

fifefife Posts: 3,327
A new study from harvard is come out stating that the death toll from Hurricane Maria  maybe as high as 4600 or more.  many parts still don't have power.  These are people.  Just a reminder.

Have a great day

Comments

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Awful
    hippiemom = goodness
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,250
    This administration doesn't  give an F about Puerto Rico , plus this is fake news !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    This administration doesn't  give an F about Puerto Rico , plus this is fake news !
    sadly you can also say that people don't care about it too.  :s
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,551
    We should be ashamed of ourselves for leaving these people hanging while we work toward building a fucking wall around ourselves. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,554
    We should be ashamed of ourselves for leaving these people hanging while we work toward building a fucking wall around ourselves. 
    Damn straight- well said!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,415
    edited June 2018
    We should build a wall around the White House and Capitol Building.  Surround it with our 2A guns that are supposedly to overthrow a tyrannical government, and not let those fuckers so much as move until they start working for us - Americans, the citizens who appointed them to represent us.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,187
    We should build a wall around the White House and Capitol Building.  Surround it with our 2A guns that are supposedly to overthrow a tyrannical government, and not let those fuckers so much as move until they start working for us - Americans, the citizens who appointed them to represent us.
    Hell yes. @unsung any interest in heading this task? 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I find this just astounding. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Heck and to top it off if they happen to get hit this summer it could leave them in total darkness again !
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,732
    I don't believe the 4600 death toll but to still have people without power is shameful.  From what I understand they replaced the power grid with the same type that was destroyed.

@fife is there any more that we can do?
    I don't believe the 4600 death toll but to still have people without power is shameful.  From what I understand they replaced the power grid with the same type that was destroyed.

@fife is there any more that we can do?
    What you don't believe damn dude look it up ...Oh boy 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456
    From CNN:

"The team from Harvard arrived at its much-higher estimate by surveying 3,299 randomly chosen households across the island earlier this year. Authors compared results of that survey -- which asked island residents about deaths in their homes, among other things -- with official mortality statistics from 2016. That allowed researchers to estimate the number of deaths that likely occurred as a result of Hurricane Maria between the date of the storm and December 31, 2017.
    "The difference is that we went out and we had boots on the ground and we did the interviews," said Domingo Marqués, an associate professor of clinical psychology at Carlos Albizu University in Puerto Rico, who was among the report's authors.
    "Statistically, it's like having interviewed the whole island," he said.
    Still, the exact death toll is likely to remain a mystery. Experts tell CNN it is difficult to say with certainty whether a hurricane "caused" certain deaths, especially those that occurred because of the chaotic and unsafe conditions that have lingered for months in Puerto Rico. Marqués and colleagues say 793 to 8,498 hurricane deaths occurred."

Well I'm not sure about those results, but it does seem like it's more than reported... and I'm a bit stunned that there is a suggestion that those who died in the ensuing chaos don't count. Of course they do. If anything, that's the really important number in terms of making things better in the future.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    From CNN:

"The team from Harvard arrived at its much-higher estimate by surveying 3,299 randomly chosen households across the island earlier this year. Authors compared results of that survey -- which asked island residents about deaths in their homes, among other things -- with official mortality statistics from 2016. That allowed researchers to estimate the number of deaths that likely occurred as a result of Hurricane Maria between the date of the storm and December 31, 2017.
    "The difference is that we went out and we had boots on the ground and we did the interviews," said Domingo Marqués, an associate professor of clinical psychology at Carlos Albizu University in Puerto Rico, who was among the report's authors.
    "Statistically, it's like having interviewed the whole island," he said.
    Still, the exact death toll is likely to remain a mystery. Experts tell CNN it is difficult to say with certainty whether a hurricane "caused" certain deaths, especially those that occurred because of the chaotic and unsafe conditions that have lingered for months in Puerto Rico. Marqués and colleagues say 793 to 8,498 hurricane deaths occurred."

Well I'm not sure about those results, but it does seem like it's more than reported... and I'm a bit stunned that there is a suggestion that those who died in the ensuing chaos don't count. Of course they do. If anything, that's the really important number in terms of making things better in the future.
    yep people who need medical help at home young & old i'm sure that happened in hospitals too ...
    Almost three thousand dead from Maria , “ We did a great job in PR “ that was yesterday from the Orange Baffoon idiot asshole disgusting disgraceful human man how do people support such garbage...
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,551
    edited August 2018
    I don't like him very much yet I wish him a long and fruitful life
    (Opposite of that, actually)
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    Fuck him.
    Hopefully fuck his corpse soon.
    How sad is it that this may be the actually worse thing he has done but yet we as people pass over it not its just another day
    @FMeInTheBrain careful. people have been timed-out for comments like that. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Makes me think of the Dylan lyric that Ed likes to sing:
    And I hope that you die
    And your death will come soon
    I'll follow your casket
    In the pale afternoon
    And I'll watch as your lowered
    Into your death bed
    Then I'll stand over your grave
    Till I'm sure that you're dead

I didn't name any names - could have been speaking about the hurricane and just messed up my pronoun. 

Changed it, anyway, but that would be pretty weak.

Putting my feelings in the Dylan song above perhaps is more PC than just saying how I feel.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    “Fuck the meter maids! Fuck ’em! That’s just how I feel, man!”
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    This reads like something you’d hear on a playground at a 2nd grade recess

Anyway...carry on 
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015

Anyway...carry on 

Anyway...carry on 
    it was a friendly gesture so they don't get banned. someone else got banned for something similar.I'm not judging or tattling (which is why I didn't quote his post). 

I was trying to be nice. Jeez. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072

Anyway...carry on 
    it was a friendly gesture so they don't get banned. someone else got banned for something similar.I'm not judging or tattling (which is why I didn't quote his post). 

I was trying to be nice. Jeez. 
    Can't be nice here.
    hippiemom = goodness

I don't hate many things in life. 
    I hate this miserable excuse for a leader. 

the really sad part is that he followers will believe him.  just a joke
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,554

A good response here:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    maybe they should start distributing the supplies
    unsung said:
    maybe they should start distributing the supplies
    great idea! get congress out there to toss paper towels at everyone! 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD