Options

Roseanne Barr

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,830
    my2hands said:
    Well it worked, people are talking about Samantha Bee for some fucking reason...
    So do we all agree that if she says something like this again she should be fired?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    mcgruff10 said:
    my2hands said:
    Well it worked, people are talking about Samantha Bee for some fucking reason...
    So do we all agree that if she says something like this again she should be fired?
    You mean, if she says something blatantly racist? Sure.

But she didn’t, which is why the “apples and oranges” comments. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,513
    I think it's insane to suggest regular name calling (however profane) is even similar to racist comments. Just nuts. But this is the year (or 4) of false equivalencies, so there you have it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,937
    mcgruff10 said:
    my2hands said:
    Freedom of speech laws exist so that there there can be no fear of legal persecution to sharing of public opinions, and are foundational to the federal republic of the USA. On the other hand, socially people have always spoken through actions about what words should be tolerable, and they've always set those standards rather arbitrarily, and historically not always correctly. This is why women who wanted to work while their female peers chose the then-expected housewife career were ostracized by women. This is why white people historically congregated with white people predominantly while interracial marriages were abhorrent to some. This is why the Church acted within fair free speech policy by condemning Galileo and ridiculing his name when he shared his opinions (though later betrayed those ideals and showed the need for freedom of speech laws upon his legal persecution).

Freedom of speech laws make it all the more critical for society to socially persecute when necessary in all cases (due to the fact that freedom of speech laws effectively forbid legal persecution for any sharing of opinion), but to expect absolute behaviours from a contextual judgment (i.e. a true democracy) isn't realistic in my opinion. The social court will always evaluate what is worthy of social persecution in a case-by-case, contextualized manner.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,676
    edited June 2018

Roseanne Barr’s Right to Offend and Our Right to Say No
    Lindy West

By Lindy West

Contributing Opinion Writer

May 30, 2018

Roseanne Barr in March.CreditVera Anderson/WireImage, via Getty Images

On Tuesday, ABC canceled its “Roseanne” revival, the network’s first No. 1 show in 24 years, after its star Roseanne Barr referred to Valerie Jarrett, a former senior adviser to President Barack Obama, as the offspring of the “Muslim Brotherhood & Planet of the Apes.”

The decision prompted surprise, relief and schadenfreude from many on the left, who already regarded the sitcom — in which Barr’s character, like Barr herself, is a supporter of President Trump and his radical racist authoritarian ideology — as an alarming bellwether of Trumpism’s slide into normalcy.

Meanwhile, the right-wing backlash is unfolding as scripted: the usual cries of censorship, the usual recriminations about liberal celebrities who once said something mean, the usual lamentations about politically correct overreach, the usual free-market fetishists suddenly oppressed by the marketplace of ideas.

Barr attributed her gleeful antebellum-vintage racism to the sleep aid Ambien and played down her comment as a joke (yes, we know, a racist one). Trump — who himself referred to some immigrants as “animals” this month — predictably joined in, whining that Disney’s chief executive, Bob Iger, “never called President Donald J. Trump to apologize for the HORRIBLE statements made and said about me on ABC.”

Right-wing Twitter (including Barr’s own feed) is now thick with similar sentiments: Here is Joy Behar saying something cutting about Trump. Here is Jimmy Kimmel. Here is Michelle Wolf. Why didn’t the outrage mob come for them? One important difference is that it is possible, or at least up for debate, for Trump’s decorum, health care plan, tax bill or hair to deserve mockery. It is not possible, and well beyond the realm of debate, for black people to deserve five centuries of racialized brutality and dehumanization.

Chattel slavery in America ended 153 years ago. I am only 36 years old, and when my father was born, there were black Americans alive who remembered being the property of white people. Slavery is not our distant past; it is yesterday. Descendants of slaves (again, only a few generations removed) have never been compensated for the hundreds of years of unpaid forced labor upon which white Americans built generational wealth and economic stability. The culturally and legislatively enforced poverty, subjugation and mass incarceration of black people continue to this day, while white supremacist violence saturates our news media, whether it’s identified as such or not.

The Parkland, Fla., high school gunman Nikolas Cruz “talked about killing Mexicans, keeping black people in chains and cutting their necks,” according to CNN. The gunman at Santa Fe High School in Texas, Dimitrios Pagourtzis, posted photos of himself in Nazi regalia. Alek Minassian, who drove his van into a crowded sidewalk in Toronto, killing 10, was a member of the “incel” (or “involuntarily celibate”) community, an online misogynist hate group with roots in white supremacist male entitlement.

Elliot Rodger, an incel hero who killed six people in a 2014 rampage, wrote repeatedly about his rage at the sight of white women socializing with black men. In Charlottesville, Va., last year, Heather Heyer was killed by the self-professed neo-Nazi James Alex Fields Jr., one of Trump’s “very fine people.” The stories of black people murdered by the police could fill a library.

Racism is America’s defining sickness, and comparing black and brown people to animals is one of its most pervasive pathogens — a rationalization that, even in 2018, kills people every day. Flint still doesn’t have clean water.

“Roseanne” was not canceled because it is mean or “HORRIBLE” to compare a black person to an ape (though it is both of those things). It was canceled because it carries the weight of both historic horrors and current atrocities — because comparing a black person to an ape nods to a historically rooted yet increasingly emboldened far-right hate movement whose chosen figurehead, Donald Trump, is the president of the United States. Because it is our collective responsibility to not let that movement win, to fight to be a better country, and right now cultural power is all we have.

Perhaps more significantly, “Roseanne” was canceled because it is bad for business (for now) when your prime-time family sitcom’s star sounds like David Duke — just as it will eventually become bad for the N.F.L.’s business to punish black players for protesting police brutality.

Disclosure: I had my own bizarre and unpleasant run-in with Barr in the summer of 2013. I’d appeared on a TV show to talk about political correctness (specifically rape jokes) in comedy, and Barr became convinced that I was the P.C. police. She tweeted a video I’d made about the online harassment that I was receiving (sample: “This big bitch is bitter that no one wants to rape her”) and described me as a “female advocating censorship of comedy.”

I tried to explain, it didn’t work, and things devolved from there in the way they typically do on Twitter. Eventually, in disbelief, I had to block Roseanne Barr. I loved Roseanne Barr. This was not how I’d imagined our first encounter. And she never forgot. Every once in a while, even five years later, she occasionally tweets, “Lindy West is a fat bitch.”

The term “political correctness” (much like the slimy “pro-life”) is a right-wing neologism, a tactical bending of reality, an attempt to colonize the playing field, a bluff to lure dupes into dignifying propaganda. True to form, the credulous left adopted it wholesale in the early ’90s, electively embroiling us in three decades of bad-faith “debate” over whether discouraging white people from using racial slurs constitutes government censorship. Of course it doesn’t. Debate over. Treating anti-P.C. arguments as anything but a shell game props up the lie that it is somehow unfair to identify and point out racism, let alone fight to eradicate it. Pointing out and fighting to eradicate racism is how we build the racism-free world that all but racists profess to want.

The anti-P.C. set deliberately frames political correctness as a sovereign entity, separate from real human beings — like an advisory board or a nutritional label or a silly after-school club that one can heed or ignore with no moral implications — as though if we simply reject political correctness we can still have “Roseanne.” But the reality is that there’s no such thing as political correctness — it’s a rhetorical device to depersonalize oppression.

What we have here, really, is a person, Roseanne Barr, who called a black person an animal, a comparison that directly refers to and reinforces our country’s genocidal past — a past that still hinders black life in devastating ways, and that good people have been fighting to not just leave behind but repair for generations. Understandably, many people (including the people who worked on the show and paid to make the show) did not like hearing this from Barr, so people at ABC decided to cancel the show.

Political correctness is just people reacting to other people; parents protecting their children; the oppressed and underserved advocating for themselves. Canceling “Roseanne” is not society regulating “mean” speech; it is us regulating our collective morality, so that we don’t atrophy into a moral vacuum. It is saying no, because we are more than animals.

Lindy West is the author of “Shrill: Notes From a Loud Woman” and a contributing opinion writer.

Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,152
    i just drank an alka seltzer cold and cough for this bug i am fighting. i apologize in advance for any anti-white people hatred that i post later.

self hating racism is a little known side effect, but it normally hits me in a big way.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,152
    and to everyone comparing what samantha bee said to what roseanne said and calling them equal, i will just throw the flag right here.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,086
    Ugh I’m tired of hearing that they aren’t equivalent. No shit.  But they are both bad, one worse than the other for sure. And Rosannes show was canceled already what more do you want? You can’t ignore Samatha Bees stupidity just because Barr was stupider 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,575
    Ugh I’m tired of hearing that they aren’t equivalent. No shit.  But they are both bad, one worse than the other for sure. And Rosannes show was canceled already what more do you want? You can’t ignore Samatha Bees stupidity just because Barr was stupider 
    What more do we want? For people to understand the difference between the two situations. And for Team Trump Treason to get a moral compass.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,674
    edited June 2018
    Alright, enough of this Roseanne bullshit.  Can we talk about some real news?  What is Pee Wee Herman up to these days?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,991
    I agree. I haven’t seen anyone say they are the same. No one was saying it was equal. Just that there seems to be a difference in how people respond. And the responses pretty much support that claim, no one seems to care and defend it by saying Tosanne was worse. I have little doubt if Ivanka said it about Bee the response would be muxhblarger.

Sorry Brian, I couldn’t find the Pee Wee thread. But do you really want to know what he’s doing right now? I don’t. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    I agree. I haven’t seen anyone say they are the same. No one was saying it was equal. Just that there seems to be a difference in how people respond. And the responses pretty much support that claim, no one seems to care and defend it by saying Tosanne was worse. I have little doubt if Ivanka said it about Bee the response would be muxhblarger.

Sorry Brian, I couldn’t find the Pee Wee thread. But do you really want to know what he’s doing right now? I don’t. 
    Damn!  I fail at sarcasm every time!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I won't have another Barr of Roseanne! Enough!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Then why are we here talking about it on the Roseanne Barr is a racist thread?

If people want to start a thread about Bee, they should go right ahead. The obvious purpose of bringing up Bee in this thread was to try and make the two equivalent. And when someone tries to make a comparison that stupid they sure as hell should be called out on it.

Anyways, I agree with this tweet.

• Options
    I won't have another Barr of Roseanne! Enough!
    I'm with you there!  I'd rather have a Kirby or a Reggie bar myself!

• Options
    We don't have those down here.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Bummer! 

Cricket bars?

• Options
    Hey, but Illinois passed the Equal Rights Amendment! Whooooo hoooooooo!
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    It is so fucking hilarious that the repubes are seeking respect and dignity of the office. Geeze, anyone remember Rushbo denigrating a 12 year old child of the White House when he had an audience of 20 million listeners? Remember that? It’s hilarious that some cringe walking the path covered in broken glass. Waaaaaa. Bunch of snow flakes.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Anyone here remember Strom Thurmond? Anyone getting learned on history? Oh the irony.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Steve Atwater is rolling over and over the lack of spine.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,929
    edited June 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    my2hands said:
    Haha.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_equivalence

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Bummer! 

Cricket bars?
    Cricket bats.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,929
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    mcgruff10 said:
    my2hands said:
    i'm on the fence about this.  but, i'd go ahead and fire her.  she's kind of nuts anyway
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,086
    So since it appears people on AMT have lost their collective minds due to trump overload... let me run it down for you:

1) you can be upset/outraged whatever you want to call it about Rosanne and believe it was a racist tweet and...
    2) still think Samantha Bee using the c-word on TBS in reference to another woman is horrible and....
    3) think it was terrible when Rush and others attacked a young Chelsea Clinton in horrible ways and...
    4) think that the US needs gun control.

I would have thought it was obvious but since everyone is deflecting maybe it wasn’t. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    dignin said:
    Then why are we here talking about it on the Roseanne Barr is a racist thread?

If people want to start a thread about Bee, they should go right ahead. The obvious purpose of bringing up Bee in this thread was to try and make the two equivalent. And when someone tries to make a comparison that stupid they sure as hell should be called out on it.

Anyways, I agree with this tweet.

Haha love it!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    that pretty much says it all.  The United States is a world wide joke.  
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    vaggar99 said:
    that pretty much says it all.  The United States is a world wide joke.  
    Yup.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,830
    edited June 2018
    Automatic weapons?  At least know what you are talking about before making a tweet.
    And  yes there are such things as cultural differences, that's why the word cunt as always been a very offensive word to me and a hell of a lot of people living here in the states. 
    His tweet is apples and oranges.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......