See something, say something... unless...

Comments

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    rgambs said:
    tbergs said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    I would not have called the police for it but the BBQ incident they were doing something they weren't supposed to be doing. I have no problem with saying something if i see something. better to be safe than sorry...unless...
    yes, but would she have called the cops if it was a bunch of cardigan-wearing blonde people? who knows. 
    obviously we will never know that but might be a good idea to be careful before labeling someone racist these days. not everyone who calls the police on black people are being racist.  i think that is where the tone is moving to these days.  we have to be careful not to go to far in either direction...calling too much or calling not at all.
    Hell, even if she isn't racist, she deserves to be publicly shamed just for calling the cops about anyone using charcoal instead of propane. That's ridiculous, and at the very least I hope people learn that you don't go calling the cops for stupid shit like that. Not unless you maybe live in Mayberry or something, where the cops literally have nothing better to do.
    no she does not.  so breaking the rules is ok but calling the police on someone breaking the rules because they are black and you are white deserves public shaming?  come on that's a stretch to me.   Again in no way would I have called the police or even cared one bit in this situation but I don't think she should be publicly shamed either.  
    Well, it was admittedly easy to say because I 100% believe it was about her being racist.
    But still, yeah, I think only a complete busybody moron would call the cops for this in any case, and I have no problem with busybody morons doing stupid shit that negatively impacts other people being called out on it publicly.
    but why? if her intent was pure (not racist), she's to be shamed for asking people to follow the law? why would that be? 
    Because I've had about enough of people acting like stupid petty assholes. Maybe the threat of consequences will help stop them.
    how is it petty to expect people not to burn down a park?
    It's not at all a reasonable assumption that grow adults having an organized BBQ are going to burn down a park.  

It's called mind your damn business, don't people get taught that still?
    They should.
    Don't be a fucking rat either. 

What's next, do we call the cops on jaywalkers?  If I see somebody smoking weed, should I call the cops?  What if someone is driving without a seatbelt?  Better call the law!!

I don't know if calling the police in all the situations warrants it, but I would default to the totality of circumstances. A jay walker weaving in and out of traffic is not something to take lightly. High safety risk. Seatbelt, meh, probably not, but if they have kids in the car with them I'd be concerned they aren't as diligent about ensuring the safety of their kids. The weed smoking situation also requires context. I also don't think we should teach people to ignore delinquent behaviors either. It's a fine line.
    I disagree.
    No fine line.
    It's a big fat ass line.

If nobody is getting hurt, mind your own damn business.
    Nobody is hurt until they are. The weed smoking aside, the other behaviors are dangerous and could lead to someone else causing your death and being traumatized. What if I said me shooting my AR15 at the range doesnt hurt anybody and it's fun so fuck you and your anti gun sentiment. I'm texting and driving and no one is getting hurt so I'll keep doing it....and so on.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited May 2018
    rgambs said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    I would not have called the police for it but the BBQ incident they were doing something they weren't supposed to be doing. I have no problem with saying something if i see something. better to be safe than sorry...unless...
    yes, but would she have called the cops if it was a bunch of cardigan-wearing blonde people? who knows. 
    obviously we will never know that but might be a good idea to be careful before labeling someone racist these days. not everyone who calls the police on black people are being racist.  i think that is where the tone is moving to these days.  we have to be careful not to go to far in either direction...calling too much or calling not at all.
    Hell, even if she isn't racist, she deserves to be publicly shamed just for calling the cops about anyone using charcoal instead of propane. That's ridiculous, and at the very least I hope people learn that you don't go calling the cops for stupid shit like that. Not unless you maybe live in Mayberry or something, where the cops literally have nothing better to do.
    no she does not.  so breaking the rules is ok but calling the police on someone breaking the rules because they are black and you are white deserves public shaming?  come on that's a stretch to me.   Again in no way would I have called the police or even cared one bit in this situation but I don't think she should be publicly shamed either.  
    First of all she was wrong about the rule and second she didn't just call the cops she waited on the phone for nearly two hours to try and get the cops to come to deal with it.
    Mind your own damn business or don't be worried if either people aren't going to when you get publicly shamed.
    everything I've read so far says the woman claimed it was illegal, but no article has clarified if it was or not. 

again, I don't condone "busy-body" behaviour, but I draw the line at safety, especialy potential fire issues. if it was legal, fine, the woman was in the wrong, but if she was correct about the by-law, I see nothing wrong with her concern. 

Would I have done it? no. 

in winnipeg a woman got a visit from Child and Family Services for letting her young children play in her FENCED IN YARD. She was in the kitchen watching them. And now she has a permanent file with CFS. now THAT was ridiculous. 

maybe if the kids were playing new power tools or something, but jesus. use your head. 
    It wasn't about safety at all. What she was calling about is that they were in an area where she knew BBQing IS allowed, but they it was also where you are supposed to use propane and not charcoal. There are other BBQing areas in the same park, right nearby, where charcoal is allowed. So yeah. She called 911 because they were using charcoal in the propane section instead of in the charcoal section. I mean c'mon.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    tbergs said:
    unsung said:
    Snitches.
    ...get stitches. right? Is that really what you think of people who "Say Something"?
    Yeah, pretty much.

• Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    Thanks to her the park didn’t burn to the ground. 
    edited May 2018
    unsung said:
    tbergs said:
    unsung said:
    Snitches.
    ...get stitches. right? Is that really what you think of people who "Say Something"?
    Yeah, pretty much.

Nice disguise, but your zip up gave it away.
  • mattsl1983mattsl1983 Posts: 711
    rgambs said:
    There's nothing suspicious about people of colour being places and doing things.
    It's that fucking simple, and the bastards that have been vilified have deserved it.
    If you are afraid of treading that line, what does that say?  I don't know, but nothing good is my guess.
    Well I would say no one brought up people of color but you did.  What does that say?  Is it a race issue?  
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rgambs said:
    There's nothing suspicious about people of colour being places and doing things.
    It's that fucking simple, and the bastards that have been vilified have deserved it.
    If you are afraid of treading that line, what does that say?  I don't know, but nothing good is my guess.
    Well I would say no one brought up people of color but you did.  What does that say?  Is it a race issue?  
    How about you elaborate on your post and give us some necessary context so we can decide?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    mace1229 said:
    rgambs said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    First of all she was wrong about the rule and second she didn't just call the cops she waited on the phone for nearly two hours to try and get the cops to come to deal with it.
    Mind your own damn business or don't be worried if either people aren't going to when you get publicly shamed.
    everything I've read so far says the woman claimed it was illegal, but no article has clarified if it was or not. 

again, I don't condone "busy-body" behaviour, but I draw the line at safety, especialy potential fire issues. if it was legal, fine, the woman was in the wrong, but if she was correct about the by-law, I see nothing wrong with her concern. 

in winnipeg a woman got a visit from Child and Family Services for letting her young children play in her FENCED IN YARD. She was in the kitchen watching them. And now she has a permanent file with CFS. now THAT was ridiculous. 

maybe if the kids were playing new power tools or something, but jesus. use your head. 
    The article you sent me said they had permits to do it.

"To make it happen, they reportedly spent $700 on city permits and coordinated with city officials like the fire department"

They didn't specify exactly what the permits were for, but if the fire dept was involved, I think it is safe to assume they had the clearance to have a charcoal grill.

She might just be a grouchy old lady though, I'm not convinced it was racist. Maybe, maybe not.
    I thought those permits were pertaining to the "protest" BBQ, not the original one. Am I mistaken on that?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

It wasn't about safety at all. What she was calling about is that they were in an area where she knew BBQing IS allowed, but they it was also where you are supposed to use propane and not charcoal. There are other BBQing areas in the same park, right nearby, where charcoal is allowed. So yeah. She called 911 because they were using charcoal in the propane section instead of in the charcoal section. I mean c'mon.
    ok, where are you people getting these details? I don't have a tonne of time to read every article. there's a fucking propane section and a charcoal section of the same fucking park? do they have urination sections of their public pools?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    mace1229 said:
    rgambs said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

"To make it happen, they reportedly spent $700 on city permits and coordinated with city officials like the fire department"

They didn't specify exactly what the permits were for, but if the fire dept was involved, I think it is safe to assume they had the clearance to have a charcoal grill.

She might just be a grouchy old lady though, I'm not convinced it was racist. Maybe, maybe not.
    I thought those permits were pertaining to the "protest" BBQ, not the original one. Am I mistaken on that?
    It isn't clear what the permits were for, but why does the fire dpt need to be there if it wasn't to have charcoal. Fire dpt usually doesn't show up for just a standard protest do they? That's why I assume the permits must have included the use of charcoal bbq, and if not, why didn't the fire department shut it down, since they coordinated with them?
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    rgambs said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

It isn't clear what the permits were for, but why does the fire dpt need to be there if it wasn't to have charcoal. Fire dpt usually doesn't show up for just a standard protest do they? That's why I assume the permits must have included the use of charcoal bbq, and if not, why didn't the fire department shut it down, since they coordinated with them?
    I'm asking which EVENT the permits were for, not specifically what the permit contained. Was the permit for the later BBQ, or the original one that the woman called 911 for?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mattsl1983mattsl1983 Posts: 711
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    How about you elaborate on your post and give us some necessary context so we can decide?
    The context is there in the question I asked.  I’m not going to feed into this or that, it is what it is.  We are told to report anything we find suspicious or out of the normalcy.  We can either be right or wrong.  
    rgambs said:
    tbergs said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    Well, it was admittedly easy to say because I 100% believe it was about her being racist.
    But still, yeah, I think only a complete busybody moron would call the cops for this in any case, and I have no problem with busybody morons doing stupid shit that negatively impacts other people being called out on it publicly.
    but why? if her intent was pure (not racist), she's to be shamed for asking people to follow the law? why would that be? 
    Because I've had about enough of people acting like stupid petty assholes. Maybe the threat of consequences will help stop them.
    how is it petty to expect people not to burn down a park?
    It's not at all a reasonable assumption that grow adults having an organized BBQ are going to burn down a park.  

It's called mind your damn business, don't people get taught that still?
    They should.
    Don't be a fucking rat either. 

What's next, do we call the cops on jaywalkers?  If I see somebody smoking weed, should I call the cops?  What if someone is driving without a seatbelt?  Better call the law!!

I don't know if calling the police in all the situations warrants it, but I would default to the totality of circumstances. A jay walker weaving in and out of traffic is not something to take lightly. High safety risk. Seatbelt, meh, probably not, but if they have kids in the car with them I'd be concerned they aren't as diligent about ensuring the safety of their kids. The weed smoking situation also requires context. I also don't think we should teach people to ignore delinquent behaviors either. It's a fine line.
    I disagree.
    No fine line.
    It's a big fat ass line.

If nobody is getting hurt, mind your own damn business.
    so prevention is useless to you?

I don't know this woman's intentions. 
    I don't know all the ins and outs of this situation. 
    But I don't worry about people that are potentially just stupidly hurting themselves (no seat belt, etc). But if someone is breaking the law AND the potential is there for innocents to get hurt? yeah, that's my fucking business. 

Do I call the police when assholes bring their dogs on the beach without a leash and they let them run around and kick sand on everyone and fucking piss on their towels and just generally bothering the fuck out of everyone (it is illegal to bring your dog, leashed or not, to the beach during peak hours)? No, I don't. 

if the dog is acting agressively but no one is presently hurt? maybe. well, I doubt it. I'd tell the owner to use his fucking brain and get out of here. But the point is the same. 

there is a fine line. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    rgambs said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

I'm asking which EVENT the permits were for, not specifically what the permit contained. Was the permit for the later BBQ, or the original one that the woman called 911 for?
    I completely missed that. The article just spends about 1 sentence talking about the BBQ the next day, then the rest of it is talking about the big anti-protest one. 
    Yeah, you're definitely right, they don't seem connected at all. Calling 911 was extreme, but I don't see why she wouldn't have the right to call some authorities. 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited May 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

ok, where are you people getting these details? I don't have a tonne of time to read every article. there's a fucking propane section and a charcoal section of the same fucking park? do they have urination sections of their public pools?
    I must have read that detail in every mainstream article I read about it after the incident. But here is the official website where these areas and the rules are defined. The lady wasn't wrong about the rules. The issue is how she confronted it and why. I think that her words and actions show it was about more than her not wanting charcoal in that part of the park. She stood there for 2 hours on hold on her phone waiting to see them punished or removed FFS. But that is certainly just conjecture. Even if she would have done this to white people in the same scenario (I don't believe that for a second), she is still just harassing those people. In the video the guy even says that firemen passed them 3 times and just waved, lol. Many also report that people grill with charcoal there all the time... This crazy lady is clearly at the park a lot if she knows about designated grilling area rules, so if she's never reported until now, something obviously triggered her. Also, the black people reported that, until a white woman came along and started filming this ridiculous woman, she was irate and yelling racist epithets at the black people.
    The she starts babbling about the city paying millions of dollars for charcoal injuries in non-charcoal zones or some shit like that, lol. Also, as soon as she finally gets someone on the phone she suddenly completely changes her demeanor to pretend she's distressed and claims she's being assaulted and threatened. It's like a light switch turning on. This lady is absolutely fucked.
    The woman who filmed the video is also a little unhinged, lol. but not wrong.

http://www2.oaklandnet.com/government/o/opr/s/Parks/index.htm

http://www.newsweek.com/lake-merritt-bbq-barbecue-video-oakland-racist-charcoal-east-bay-black-family-919355

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    unsung said:
    tbergs said:
    unsung said:
    Snitches.
    Yeah, pretty much.

• Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    dignin said:

Lol, i want one.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Who the fuck calls the cops because people are grilling in the park? 
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    my2hands said:
    Insecure racist pigs ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    my2hands said:
    Insecure racist pigs ..
    That would be my guess, not because they were violating some local park ordinance about using charcoal (talk about lame excuse)
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    Insecure racist pigs ..
    That would be my guess, not because they were violating some local park ordinance about using charcoal (talk about lame excuse)
    That same woman would crying bloody hell if someone would of called cops on her for the same reason !
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    Insecure racist pigs ..
    That same woman would crying bloody hell if someone would of called cops on her for the same reason !
    The truth is Jose, nobody would call the cops on her family
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    Insecure racist pigs ..
    The truth is Jose, nobody would call the cops on her family
    Agreed !
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    NPR did a report on this today and played some snippets of three of the recent high profile 911 calls...they all sound exactly the same.  
    If you set out to create the expected behavior of upper middle class white women calling 911 on people of colour doing nothing suspicious as stereotypically as possible, you would produce those calls exactly.  Ridiculous.

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    my2hands said:
    We're not aloud to have charcoal or gas grills at my apartment complex.  On Sunday while we were at the pool a guy who lives in one of the apartments close to the pool was cooking out on a charcoal grill and boy did it smell fantastic.  And no I did not call the cops or the leasing office.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
    KC138045 said:
    my2hands said:
    We're not aloud to have charcoal or gas grills at my apartment complex.  On Sunday while we were at the pool a guy who lives in one of the apartments close to the pool was cooking out on a charcoal grill and boy did it smell fantastic.  And no I did not call the cops or the leasing office.
    Agreed. As toxic as it is to the world, a charcoal grill smells fantastic. Must be some sort of nostalgic memory that sweeps me back to being a kid in summer. That damn charcoal briquette pyramid in the Weber grill that needed to be doused in lighter fluid to start. Now everyone stand back while your slow uncle tries to singe all his hair while tossing a match in. Haha!
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    dignin said:
    unsung said:
    tbergs said:
    unsung said:
    Snitches.
    Yeah, pretty much.

LOL, that is great.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Apparently you can’t say something if you see black shoplifters and you’re a white store owner. Glad this was finally settled and Oberlin has to pay the price for supporting shoplifting.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/14/us/oberlin-bakery-lawsuit.html

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    This falls under that rush to judge on the internet without all info article I posted previously.
    hippiemom = goodness