Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    dudeman said:
    How many NRA supporters? Maybe 5 million. How many gun owners? Maybe 75-100 million.

The average gun owner doesn't give the NRA shit.
    Sure.

But let's not discount the gun owner that isn't a member, yet still drools on themselves when cleaning their gun.

There's quite a few of those guys- let alone the additional 10 million that identify as members even though they haven't paid their dues.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,626
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:
    dignin said:
    mace1229 said:

I was okay with gun ownership a couple years ago.  I never would want to own one myself but understood the reasons people would want to own one. 

But listening to you gun nuts not want to give a damn inch has made me 100% change my opinion and I say take all the guns.  If you can't compromise just a little bit to try to save some kids' lives than I'm sorry, you blew it.  Let's get some legislation to take all of your guns you self-absorbed, uncaring, and scared scared scared scared scared scared scared scared people.

I can think maybe 1 person who doesn’t want more gun restrictions here. Every source I’ve ever seen puts it at 85-90% of gun owners want change.
    so where are you getting this idea from? Are you basing this statement from one poster on a single forum and applying it to all gun owners?
    And I’ve also seen said many times “no one wants to take your guns”. But your about the 4th or 5th person this week to say so.
    If so many gun owners want more restrictions then why aren't there more restrictions?
    A lot of people want weed legalized too.
    That's a bit of a copout to a great question.  We've all seen the polls you point to,  yet nothing happens.  Why do you think that is?
    Because elected officials give no shits about the wants of the people that elected them.

On both sides.
     No,  it means the they fear the NRA more than the will of the people or another tragedy. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    dudeman said:
    How many NRA supporters? Maybe 5 million. How many gun owners? Maybe 75-100 million.

Sure.

But let's not discount the gun owner that isn't a member, yet still drools on themselves when cleaning their gun.

There's quite a few of those guys- let alone the additional 10 million that identify as members even though they haven't paid their dues.
    Again, Obama and both houses of congresses had two freaking years to get this done but didn’t do shit. And yes it wasn’t filibuster proof but they could have done something.  Instead we have a republican majority that can’t even ban bump stocks. Both parities are definitely to blame and I don’t care about who is to blame more than the other.  No one can meet at the 50 yard line. Instead it is ban on the left and open carry ar-15 s on the right. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I was okay with gun ownership a couple years ago.  I never would want to own one myself but understood the reasons people would want to own one. 

But listening to you gun nuts not want to give a damn inch has made me 100% change my opinion and I say take all the guns.  If you can't compromise just a little bit to try to save some kids' lives than I'm sorry, you blew it.  Let's get some legislation to take all of your guns you self-absorbed, uncaring, and scared scared scared scared scared scared scared scared people.

your solution is to take all our guns?  Seems like a perfect compromise.  
    We have been ready to compromise.  

It is like when two kids are fighting over the same toy.  The parent says you need to share it or I am taking the toy away.  Well, you won’t compromise so we are going to take the toy away.
    Sounds like a solid political strategy, let me know when, lol 
    Your strategy results in more kids getting murdered at schools.   I like mine better.
    I would say that your strategy probably would result in that because it will definitely result in no changes being made whatsoever.  Do you honestly think the US is going to implement a ban on all guns?  Good luck with that...I’m “for” implementing required safety trainings, at least that is something based a little closer to reality.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    dudeman said:

Sure.

Again, Obama and both houses of congresses had two freaking years to get this done but didn’t do shit. And yes it wasn’t filibuster proof but they could have done something.  Instead we have a republican majority that can’t even ban bump stocks. Both parities are definitely to blame and I don’t care about who is to blame more than the other.  No one can meet at the 50 yard line. Instead it is ban on the left and open carry ar-15 s on the right. 
     that's not true.  Red state democrats and the GOP stopped the assault ban from getting through the Senate.  This isn't on Obama. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    dudeman said:

Sure.

The assault rifle ban and pleas for things like common sense background checks and magazine limits have fallen on deaf ears for the past decade- and the body count has been piling up. These measures would have amounted to 'compromise' (and meeting in the middle).

The right never budged. The left is now pushing for extremes to settle reasonably. The complete ban isn't going to happen nor should it. 

Time will tell if the youth movement shifts the balance of power and facilitate the change efforts desperately needed and neglected by previous generations (including yours).
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:
    dignin said:
    mace1229 said:

I can think maybe 1 person who doesn’t want more gun restrictions here. Every source I’ve ever seen puts it at 85-90% of gun owners want change.
    so where are you getting this idea from? Are you basing this statement from one poster on a single forum and applying it to all gun owners?
    And I’ve also seen said many times “no one wants to take your guns”. But your about the 4th or 5th person this week to say so.
    If so many gun owners want more restrictions then why aren't there more restrictions?
    A lot of people want weed legalized too.
    That's a bit of a copout to a great question.  We've all seen the polls you point to,  yet nothing happens.  Why do you think that is?
    I dont buy the  argument that Republicans and the pro-gun crowd actually favor any serious reform...

Imagine a Republican running for office in a solid red area/state after advocating/voting for any form of real reform/restrictions... they would either get primaried or beat in a general, almost every time... the GOP voters #1 issue seems to be gun rights currently 

Dont want to sound like Trump,  but I think there is a big difference between the polls on this issue and what would actually happen at the polls if action was taken... 
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,529
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:

your solution is to take all our guns?  Seems like a perfect compromise.  
    We have been ready to compromise.  

It is like when two kids are fighting over the same toy.  The parent says you need to share it or I am taking the toy away.  Well, you won’t compromise so we are going to take the toy away.
    Sounds like a solid political strategy, let me know when, lol 
    Your strategy results in more kids getting murdered at schools.   I like mine better.
    I would say that your strategy probably would result in that because it will definitely result in no changes being made whatsoever.  Do you honestly think the US is going to implement a ban on all guns?  Good luck with that...I’m “for” implementing required safety trainings, at least that is something based a little closer to reality.

What would gun safety trainings do about mass shootings?   I want to see the country less gun crazy in 100 years.  It has to start sometime.  
  • Options
    Russel that link was in response to your comment about it is not Obama’s fault. I voted for the guy twice and he definitely could have done more.  

• Options

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    YEah but that was second term way after his two year honeymoon with congress.  And as a nation we failed but Connecticut passed some great gun reform laws after sandy hook.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    YEah but that was second term way after his two year honeymoon with congress.  And as a nation we failed but Connecticut passed some great gun reform laws after sandy hook.
    The reality is that he never had 50 Senate votes for gun reform.  Look at the Senate makeup in 2009. There were probably at least five democrats that would not vote yes. 
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,970
    dudeman said:

Sure.

How does any of that help the NRA buy politicians?
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    dudeman said:
    dudeman said:

Sure.

How does any of that help the NRA buy politicians?
    It doesn't.

But it does afford a region of comfort where politicians are not damned shaking hands with the devil.
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,835

Brought to you by the NRA. This is how you brainwash people.

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    This article highlights so much of what is wrong with gun culture, and segments of North American culture in general, today. 

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/texas-amanda-painter-mass-shooting_us_5b081ab4e4b0802d69caad89

This ex-husband and father of three shot and killed his three children and his ex-wife's new partner, then non-fatally shot her, telling her he was leaving her alive to live with the pain, and killed himself. She had taken his gun away because she feared him using it on himself or on her, but his family pressured her to give it back, so she did. After the murder of her children, some people blamed her, because she left him.

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,580
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options

A ton of damning statistics.

We always talk about gun deaths, but for every death... there are three people injured by gunfire. The numbers are brutal.

This might be the worst one: Seven children and teens (age 19 or under) are killed with guns in the U.S. on an average day (as per your source). It supports what most have been saying around here: having a gun in the house exponentially increases the chances of someone getting hurt or killed by a gun.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,538
  • Options

And the line for him should be the line for everyone else: the guns he carried for 27 months in the streets of Iraq should not be in the streets of America. 

It's... so... painfully... obvious.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited May 2018
    dignin said:
    mace1229 said:

Yes, if this 85% - 90% estimation is accurate, then you'd think that the NRA would have lost 85% - 90% of its millions of members. Instead, gun sales and NRA membership purchases increase after every mass shooting, and NRA members are not dropping out. There was 10% increase in NRA memberships after Newtown alone. And I figure that those members who refuse to acknowledge how complicit the NRA is when it comes to this crisis in America, then they are also complicit. Anyone who claims to support increasing gun restrictions and continues to be an NRA member actually doesn't support increasing gun restrictions at all.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

And the line for him should be the line for everyone else: the guns he carried for 27 months in the streets of Iraq should not be in the streets of America. 

It's... so... painfully... obvious.

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,949
    mcgruff10 said:
    dudeman said:

Sure.

he didn't have two years....educate yourself
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    mcgruff10 said:
    dudeman said:

Sure.

he didn't have two years....educate yourself
    Smoke some ***GREEN***
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    tbergs said:
    i_lov_it said:
    Please go smoke another bowl

Very Intelligent answer from *You're Blanched*...come on *You're Blanched*???
    Are you okay? Maybe take this off the forum and reach out directly if you feel you've been slighted. Hope your day goes better.
    Are you Ok?...offer something to the conversation other then belittling other people...
    Post edited by i_lov_it on
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    jeffbr said:
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Okay, so I am now for the banning of all guns.  There has to be a way for homeowners to feel safe though.  Perhaps a stun gun or some other type of weapon that absolutely can't be used for a mass shooting. 

If you want to go hunting, then you can go through a background check, and rent a gun for the hunting trip. 

I haven't thought through all the scenarios, but this is beyond ridiculous at this point.  To those on this board that want to take no action, you are disturbed individuals and you may not even know it.  It was like when I was collecting Pearl Jam vinyl and trying to get every color, I didn't realize at the time how stupid that was. 

Like PJsoul said earlier, the fix won't come for several generations, but we need to start now.  Like with climate change, we can't change climate today or tomorrow, but we can make changes that can impact 50 years from now.

“Nobody is saying ban all guns”.  Bootlegger is saying “ban all guns” for reference, lol
    there are plenty of citizens saying ban all guns. no politicians, that I've seen, are saying ban all guns. I think that's what people are referring to when saying "nobody is saying ban all guns". 
    Maybe so, maybe the right phrase would be “nobodies are saying ban all guns”
    In all honesty, in a perfect world, guns would be illegal. the US is obviously way too far gone for that, but don't you agree it would be ideal? if criminals had automatic sentences of whatever term just for possessing one, don't you think that would drive down the need for citizens, or do you think people would still hang onto this "tyrannical government" nonsense?
    In a perfect world, there would be no criminals at all and there would be no tyrannical governments and farts would smell like daisies.  It is a pointless hypothetical, though, as daisies have very little nutritional value ;).  Yes, we are way too far gone for that and that’s why I mock those that suggest a complete gun ban.  
    Your home arsenal wouldn't do shit to stop a tyrannical government...

Fact is, most of the time they convince the masses to go along with them... its easier to manipulate your citizens then fight them... 

Iraq invasion & occupation, shock & awe, torture, black rendition sites, detentioners held for years without charge at Guantanomo, at least 1 million dead.... that was, and is, fucking horrific and evil... disgusting... maybe the most "tyrannical" thing done by any country in my lifetime... and a ton of the masses cheered and supported it while waving flags... some still think it was fine and support it.... all based on lies, propaganda, and manipulation... your guns dont mean shit buddy, it's your brain they are going after

Happy Memorial Day weekend
    I believe this is what gets overlooked or lost by the hardcore defenders of the 2A (and I used to be one of them). The argument that we need guns to protect ourselves from government tyranny. The reality, though, is exactly what we're currently experiencing. We have a president who has no regard for laws, truth or principle, and the people with the guns who want to protect themselves from tyranny are the same people eating this up and throwing all of their support behind Cheetolini, sending around memes bashing the press and the media in general, normalizing abhorrent behavior, accepting lies, unravelling civil rights, etc... My2hands has it right - fascism and tyranny will happen without guns being fired. It will happen because of a cult of personality. It will happen because of fake patriotism, and hyper-nationalism.
    I could resort to ***NAME*** calling just like you...simply because I don't agree with what you said...but I won't though
    Post edited by i_lov_it on
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    What is happening? :i_dunno:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    i_lov_it said:
    jeffbr said:
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Okay, so I am now for the banning of all guns.  There has to be a way for homeowners to feel safe though.  Perhaps a stun gun or some other type of weapon that absolutely can't be used for a mass shooting. 

If you want to go hunting, then you can go through a background check, and rent a gun for the hunting trip. 

I haven't thought through all the scenarios, but this is beyond ridiculous at this point.  To those on this board that want to take no action, you are disturbed individuals and you may not even know it.  It was like when I was collecting Pearl Jam vinyl and trying to get every color, I didn't realize at the time how stupid that was. 

Like PJsoul said earlier, the fix won't come for several generations, but we need to start now.  Like with climate change, we can't change climate today or tomorrow, but we can make changes that can impact 50 years from now.

“Nobody is saying ban all guns”.  Bootlegger is saying “ban all guns” for reference, lol
    there are plenty of citizens saying ban all guns. no politicians, that I've seen, are saying ban all guns. I think that's what people are referring to when saying "nobody is saying ban all guns". 
    Maybe so, maybe the right phrase would be “nobodies are saying ban all guns”
    In all honesty, in a perfect world, guns would be illegal. the US is obviously way too far gone for that, but don't you agree it would be ideal? if criminals had automatic sentences of whatever term just for possessing one, don't you think that would drive down the need for citizens, or do you think people would still hang onto this "tyrannical government" nonsense?
    In a perfect world, there would be no criminals at all and there would be no tyrannical governments and farts would smell like daisies.  It is a pointless hypothetical, though, as daisies have very little nutritional value ;).  Yes, we are way too far gone for that and that’s why I mock those that suggest a complete gun ban.  
    Your home arsenal wouldn't do shit to stop a tyrannical government...

Fact is, most of the time they convince the masses to go along with them... its easier to manipulate your citizens then fight them... 

Iraq invasion & occupation, shock & awe, torture, black rendition sites, detentioners held for years without charge at Guantanomo, at least 1 million dead.... that was, and is, fucking horrific and evil... disgusting... maybe the most "tyrannical" thing done by any country in my lifetime... and a ton of the masses cheered and supported it while waving flags... some still think it was fine and support it.... all based on lies, propaganda, and manipulation... your guns dont mean shit buddy, it's your brain they are going after

Happy Memorial Day weekend
    I believe this is what gets overlooked or lost by the hardcore defenders of the 2A (and I used to be one of them). The argument that we need guns to protect ourselves from government tyranny. The reality, though, is exactly what we're currently experiencing. We have a president who has no regard for laws, truth or principle, and the people with the guns who want to protect themselves from tyranny are the same people eating this up and throwing all of their support behind Cheetolini, sending around memes bashing the press and the media in general, normalizing abhorrent behavior, accepting lies, unravelling civil rights, etc... My2hands has it right - fascism and tyranny will happen without guns being fired. It will happen because of a cult of personality. It will happen because of fake patriotism, and hyper-nationalism.
    I could resort to ***NAME*** calling just like you...simply because I don't agree with what you said...but I won't though
    which is exactly what you did before you edited it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

This discussion has been closed.