Queens of the Stone Age

Comments

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Villains is still my favorite album that's come out in the last 12 months (probably favorite rock record of the last several years). As unstable as they have been live with Josh's struggles, their studio efforts are top notch and relevant. I just hope they can all figure it out so they can keep making music. We've all seen what happens to most bands when the singer can't keep clean and under control.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Super-bummer of a show tonight up in Madison, WI.

Outdoor show, great weather, amazing opening set by Royal Blood, a stellar long setlist on paper. Then Josh went off the rails, they cut 7 songs and 40 minutes off the show and walked off after 80 minutes. 

Heartbreaker. Drove 6 hours after a shitty day for that. 
    I was at this show also, very disappointed with how it ended.  Hopefully Josh will take some time and clean himself up, no one knew why the show ended abruptly within reason.  I read somewhere that before No One Knows, there wasn't a lot of applause from the VIP GA section from Josh's story.
    my2hands said:
    I have no idea why anybody goes to the shows and supports this d-bag 
    Most of the artists I love have had negative incidents/headlines reported about them.  Look at EV's reputation in the 90's.  I don't think it makes them bad people.  Hell, I still pay to see Noel & Liam Gallagher.  Trent Reznor, Josh, Maynard, Thom Yorke, every one of them has a reputation.  The reason why certain bands are great live is because they are really on the edge when they are on stage (EV in 93/94).

Unfortunately, when they start cutting/canceling shows, I think they've gotten too far away from fans and need to get off the road for a bit.  It's a day at the office for them, it's a countdown event for us.
    Hopefully Josh will use this as a means to get himself cleaned up.  I'd have no problems if he did that and the performances got stronger.
    there will be too much pressure on him from all sides to finish the tour. and they are touring non-stop pretty much through September. one month off between Spain and Japan. Brutal. 
    True, but hopefully this won't lead Josh into a spiral that he can't get out of and clean himself up.  Hopefully the fans would understand that Josh needs to get himself together before he can play another live show.
    If people are still going to GnR shows, I'm sure Josh will also be forgiven for whatever crap he pulls while he's having a rough time.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:

Outdoor show, great weather, amazing opening set by Royal Blood, a stellar long setlist on paper. Then Josh went off the rails, they cut 7 songs and 40 minutes off the show and walked off after 80 minutes. 

I was at this show also, very disappointed with how it ended.  Hopefully Josh will take some time and clean himself up, no one knew why the show ended abruptly within reason.  I read somewhere that before No One Knows, there wasn't a lot of applause from the VIP GA section from Josh's story.
    my2hands said:
    Most of the artists I love have had negative incidents/headlines reported about them.  Look at EV's reputation in the 90's.  I don't think it makes them bad people.  Hell, I still pay to see Noel & Liam Gallagher.  Trent Reznor, Josh, Maynard, Thom Yorke, every one of them has a reputation.  The reason why certain bands are great live is because they are really on the edge when they are on stage (EV in 93/94).

Unfortunately, when they start cutting/canceling shows, I think they've gotten too far away from fans and need to get off the road for a bit.  It's a day at the office for them, it's a countdown event for us.
    Hopefully Josh will use this as a means to get himself cleaned up.  I'd have no problems if he did that and the performances got stronger.
    there will be too much pressure on him from all sides to finish the tour. and they are touring non-stop pretty much through September. one month off between Spain and Japan. Brutal. 
    True, but hopefully this won't lead Josh into a spiral that he can't get out of and clean himself up.  Hopefully the fans would understand that Josh needs to get himself together before he can play another live show.
    If people are still going to GnR shows, I'm sure Josh will also be forgiven for whatever crap he pulls while he's having a rough time.
    I don't know about that. Axl was tolerated because the demand for him/that bad was through the roof. And he only really did that back in the 90's. When I went to see Axl and friends in 2006, he hit the stage at midnight. And that's all people said about it. what they failed to report was that he wasn't going on late, it was a half hour after the last act. there were 5 acts that night. It went till nearly 3 in the morning with only gaps between sets, nothing more. 

if Josh is continually loaded and playing shitty shows and/or cutting shows short, they aren't nearly famous enough to keep fans coming out and risking their money and time for that. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,876
    if Josh is continually loaded and playing shitty shows and/or cutting shows short, they aren't nearly famous enough to keep fans coming out and risking their money and time for that. 
    Yeah, at least not in arenas.  Not sure if his bandmates would tolerate it either.  I'm sure that was a condition for Slash and Duff too.  2 hours late was fine when we were drunk, high and getting laid backstage in our 20s, but now I want to play the show, take a bath and go to bed.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,894
    Somebody in that reddit thread said they were standing next to the sound techs and some park rangers (or whoever controls that stuff) had come to check the noise levels (and possibly told them to turn it down)  I could see that pissing Josh off quite a bit.  
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908
    Its tough to be an asshole and a rock start these days with all of the social media. 
    This guy probably would have been considered a saint in the 70s and 80s if everything was documented.
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    Somebody in that reddit thread said they were standing next to the sound techs and some park rangers (or whoever controls that stuff) had come to check the noise levels (and possibly told them to turn it down)  I could see that pissing Josh off quite a bit.  
    Someone on facebook complained that their precious snowflake would be losing 2 hours of sleep because they live near the venue.  The venue offered them tickets to Ultimate Frisbee this weekend, which is perfect for Madison hippie/hipster families.  Pretty good PR, actually.

Normally this place does concerts on weekends.  Not sure why they had Queens come out on a Tuesday, unless that's all that was available.  Their last show was in Winnipeg a few days ago.
    kramer73 said:
    Someone on facebook complained that their precious snowflake would be losing 2 hours of sleep because they live near the venue.  The venue offered them tickets to Ultimate Frisbee this weekend, which is perfect for Madison hippie/hipster families.  Pretty good PR, actually.

Normally this place does concerts on weekends.  Not sure why they had Queens come out on a Tuesday, unless that's all that was available.  Their last show was in Winnipeg a few days ago.
    originally the Peg show was supposed to be Sunday. got bumped to Saturday for the Jets game Sunday afternoon. Monday would have originally been scheduled as a travel day. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    I saw him twice so far this year.  The tour opening and a few weeks later.  

The first show was great.  Band was tight and no one was inebriated.

Second time Josh claimed how lit up he was but the band still played pretty good.  I thought it was odd that he would brag about playing drunk.  Apparently he's been doing this the whole tour.
    I saw him twice so far this year.  The tour opening and a few weeks later.  

The first show was great.  Band was tight and no one was inebriated.

Second time Josh claimed how lit up he was but the band still played pretty good.  I thought it was odd that he would brag about playing drunk.  Apparently he's been doing this the whole tour.
    he did make comments in winnipeg about partying because it was saturday night and all that. he seemed happy but not loaded. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited May 2018
    PJ_Soul said:

my2hands said:

I don't know about that. Axl was tolerated because the demand for him/that bad was through the roof. And he only really did that back in the 90's. When I went to see Axl and friends in 2006, he hit the stage at midnight. And that's all people said about it. what they failed to report was that he wasn't going on late, it was a half hour after the last act. there were 5 acts that night. It went till nearly 3 in the morning with only gaps between sets, nothing more. 

I think they'll be fine. They have plenty of fans and make amazing music.... Are you actually worried? It's not like he's bailing on a regular basis or anything. There have only been a few incidents since 1998.... If Josh is going through a tough time with substances and it negatively affects this tour, then he will be like the 1 millionth rock star with that problem - it's hardly a reason to start thinking all his fans will bail along with his bandmates. I mean geez, I at least hope his bandmates are more loyal and caring than that, after 20 years.
    Them breaking up or just becoming suddenly washed up is not at all my concern. My concern is that Josh will OD or die for some related reason. That is why I'm hoping his bandmates and anyone else in his personal life do their best to help him through whatever problems he's having. If that means they have to cancel the rest of the tour, then that seems like a good reason to do it. That wouldn't be an unprecedented move.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

my2hands said:

I think they'll be fine. They have plenty of fans and make amazing music.... Are you actually worried? It's not like he's bailing on a regular basis or anything. There have only been a few incidents since 1998.... If Josh is going through a tough time with substances and it negatively affects this tour, then he will be like the 1 millionth rock star with that problem - it's hardly a reason to start thinking all his fans will bail along with his bandmates. I mean geez, I at least hope his bandmates are more loyal and caring than that, after 20 years.
    Them breaking up or just becoming suddenly washed up is not at all my concern. My concern is that Josh will OD or die for some related reason. That is why I'm hoping his bandmates and anyone else in his personal life do their best to help him through whatever problems he's having. If that means they have to cancel the rest of the tour, then that seems like a good reason to do it. That wouldn't be an unprecedented move.
    no, I'm not "worried". i said "if Josh is continually loaded and playing shitty shows and/or cutting shows short....", which he is not even near yet. I didn't even know about any of his issues until I saw it in this thread. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

my2hands said:

no, I'm not "worried". i said "if Josh is continually loaded and playing shitty shows and/or cutting shows short....", which he is not even near yet. I didn't even know about any of his issues until I saw it in this thread. 
    I just meant 'do you actually think fans will stop coming out'.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

my2hands said:

I just meant 'do you actually think fans will stop coming out'.
    only if he consistently cuts shows short or plays awful because he's out of his head. it takes a while for that to happen though. people have to be personaly affected by these things for it to have a meaningful impact. like given2fly23's issue above. will he ever travel for a Queens show again? highly doubt it. it won't deter me from going to another show, as I've seen them 5 times without incident. but if it happens to me? yeah, I might skip the following show. 

it also makes a big difference how much press it gets. 

Axl's antics were an annoyance (in 93 I personally experienced his nonsense), but he still would play a full amazing show. late, yes, but still you got your money's worth. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited May 2018
    How about Morrissey? He still seems to sell tickets, and he has cancelled 127 shows since 2012. 280 since 1988. :lol:
    PJ_Soul said:
    How about Morrissey? He still seems to sell tickets, and he has cancelled 127 shows since 2012. 280 since 1988. :lol:
    you know, I was thinking about him as we were talking about this, and I simply can't understand his fan's patience with his bullshit. Maybe I'm wrong. I just can't imagine the concert going public would put up with that with a mainstream band. Maybe because Morrissey has cancelled so much, that it's come full circle and people are snatching up tickets hoping they'll finally get to see him live? kind of like buying a scratch ticket. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    PJ_Soul said:

Morrisey SUCKS!!!

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    lolobugg said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Morrisey SUCKS!!!
    Thank you!

Not a zippo...
  • AggAgg Posts: 462
    What the hell happened?  Seeing them in Rochester Friday, will probably be done with these guys if they pull something like this on Friday without any legit reason
    Same. Gonna be a 12 hour round trip for me and I can't say I'd be happy to drive that much for a short/shitty set. :/
    2013: Wrigley Field, Pittsburgh, Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Philly 1, Philly 2, Baltimore
    2014: Cincinnati
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Philly 1, Philly 2, MSG 1, MSG 2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: Rock N Roll Hall of Fame Induction
    2018: Krakow, Chicago 1, Chicago 2, Boston 1, Boston 2
  • jessebasijessebasi Toronto Posts: 149
    In good news, I saw them in London last night and they absolutely killed it. Josh was in fine form. They did a 22 song set filled with deep cuts - best time I’ve ever seen them. Rochester is in for a great show tonight.
    2016 - Toronto I (Binaural!), Toronto II
    2020 - Toronto, Hamilton
  • iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,291
    I recall in the sound board area that there was a discussion with two park policemen and another official talking about a noise violation during the performance.  Now I've read that Queens violated the noise ordinance during the show in Madison, WI and is the catalyst for the show ending early.
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,617
    Just got back from Rochester show.  The band was great, unfortunately, The Dome Arena in Rochester is the worst sounding venue I’ve ever attended in my life.  Everything sounded like muffled garbage.
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,387
    Sounds like that early walkoff had as much, if not more to do with sound issues as anything else.

I’m optimistic about tonight, I cant wait to see them again. The setlist in recent nights has been awesome. 
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,617
    Sounds like that early walkoff had as much, if not more to do with sound issues as anything else.

I’m optimistic about tonight, I cant wait to see them again. The setlist in recent nights has been awesome. 
    I did think that the sound last night could have been helped by lowering the volume.  Everything was just too loud.  I get that it’s Rock and Roll and all, but sometimes too loud can be bad.
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,387
    Sweet mother of crap, this band was f’ing flawless tonight. 

I dont have a single complaint, they were as on as I’ve ever seen them. Josh was in great spirits & seemed sober.... John Theodore was a machine, I could watch him play drums all day long.

This band is amazing. 
  • Sweet mother of crap, this band was f’ing flawless tonight. 

I dont have a single complaint, they were as on as I’ve ever seen them. Josh was in great spirits & seemed sober.... John Theodore was a machine, I could watch him play drums all day long.

This band is amazing. 
    Agree with all of this. My fifth time seeing them, and I have yet to be disappointed. They absolutely killed tonight. 

I was lucky to get on the rail and Jon Theodore was nice enough to send a stick my way. Great night.

5/25/06, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13, 7/11/14, 9/26/15, 4/18/16, (4/20/16), 4/21/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 4/7/17, 7/1/18, 7/3/18, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 5/12/22, 5/13/22, 8/22/24, 9/7/24, 9/15/24, 9/17/24

8/1/08, 6/16/11, 6/26/17, 6/27/17, 7/3/19, 2/4/22

11/4/16
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    my2hands said:

EV kicked a woman in the face??? On purpose? 

Not sure why people make excuses for this loser
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:

EV kicked a woman in the face??? On purpose? 

Not sure why people make excuses for this loser
    He drunkenly kicked the camera.  It was a stupid mistake that 99% of the population doesn't make, but barely newsworthy and I'm sure the lady is just fine.   If that is the worst thing he does then good for him.
    edited May 2018
    Sweet mother of crap, this band was f’ing flawless tonight. 

This band is amazing. 
    Agree with all of this. My fifth time seeing them, and I have yet to be disappointed. They absolutely killed tonight. 

I was lucky to get on the rail and Jon Theodore was nice enough to send a stick my way. Great night.

Awesome, glad to hear they're still rockin' it, and that any bad shows are just the type that all bands have once in a while.
    I will say that I hate their stage setup for this tour. Those stupid light bars look dumb and obstruct the view once their smoke machine is cranking. I remember resenting them when I saw their show, lol.
  • AggAgg Posts: 462
    edited May 2018
    Just got back from Rochester show.  The band was great, unfortunately, The Dome Arena in Rochester is the worst sounding venue I’ve ever attended in my life.  Everything sounded like muffled garbage.

The sound was iffy where I was too (rail to the left of Josh). But honestly, I was just happy to see Josh seeming sober/okay after the Madison show that I didn't mind too much. Got a setlist from the stage after the show and saw they cut Unreborn Again and that was disappointing, but they played You Can't Quit Me Baby and First It Giveth so I can't complain too much. 
    2013: Wrigley Field, Pittsburgh, Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Philly 1, Philly 2, Baltimore
    2014: Cincinnati
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Philly 1, Philly 2, MSG 1, MSG 2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: Rock N Roll Hall of Fame Induction
    2018: Krakow, Chicago 1, Chicago 2, Boston 1, Boston 2