The National Football League

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    I think you will see more owners than just Jets/49ers find ways to protest this dumb shit and fly in the face of these rules in some way(s).  I love the move York made. 
    This will not have any impact on my watching the games -- will still watch when I can fit in the time, and the playoffs will be watched, for sure.  It does make me laugh at the tone deaf owners. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Jets Chairman, Woody Johnson's brother no less, said he will pay fines for players.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    And this whole thing about ratings going down and this being a direct result of it is bullshit too. Ratings are down for everything .

Fucking Nascar, who Trump touts as the most American thing ever, is down 30% or something. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    players kneel while all but one team allows concessions to be open. 

hey, gotta make sure the white people are comfortable and happy. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    And this whole thing about ratings going down and this being a direct result of it is bullshit too. Ratings are down for everything .

Fucking Nascar, who Trump touts as the most American thing ever, is down 30% or something. 
    It'll go down even more this year without Jr, Gordon and Stewart racing.

As for the Anthem thing?  It will just be poking the bear now.  The players will make a point to protest and this will bring more unwanted attention to it from the owners' point of view.
    a guy I work with, the embodiment of white priveledge (one of those "aboriginals need to just get over it and get a job" types), thinks this was the right move by the NFL, because "people are going to talk about it now, but they won't come the next season. they were talking about it before for the wrong reasons". 

What are the "wrong reasons"? if people are talking about it, there is no wrong reason, you tool. 

he has no fucking idea how much more this is going to be talked about. before, it was only 49ers games. President Idiot changed that to all teams, including coaches and fucking owners. 

yeah, this is going to make them give up. the cluelessness of some upper middle class white people is unbelievable. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382

yeah, this is going to make them give up. the cluelessness of some upper middle class white people is unbelievable. 

no need to qualify that with “upper middle.” white people of all income levels can be included.

playing “god bless america” at baseball games is dumb, too. what if you don’t believe in god or have a different god?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    God bless you, Wobbie.  
    FSM 
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    mickeyrat said:
    lolobugg said:
    Just have them stay in the locker rooms during the anthem. problem solved. easy solution.
    exactly. its what was done prior to 09 for primetime games. The day games they were on the field but the anthem wasnt deemed important enough to show it on broadcast.....

that's because before 2009 the NFL didn't have a contract with the DOD basically forcing all this false patriotism that we see. 

Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

mickeyrat said:
    lolobugg said:
    Just have them stay in the locker rooms during the anthem. problem solved. easy solution.
    exactly. its what was done prior to 09 for primetime games. The day games they were on the field but the anthem wasnt deemed important enough to show it on broadcast.....

that's because before 2009 the NFL didn't have a contract with the DOD basically forcing all this false patriotism that we see. 

Correct.

The NFL supposedly gave back the money after they caught heat from it too.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Wobbie said:

no need to qualify that with “upper middle.” white people of all income levels can be included.

playing “god bless america” at baseball games is dumb, too. what if you don’t believe in god or have a different god?
    That pisses me off so much!  You already played the anthem, we don't need another patriotic song forced down our throats. Sing the fucking stretch!
    Wobbie said:

I see his specific attitude to be more upper middle. but the general attitude, yes, I'd agree. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Wobbie said:

That pisses me off so much!  You already played the anthem, we don't need another patriotic song forced down our throats. Sing the fucking stretch!

I was okay with it in the immediate aftermath of 9/11 but doing it now doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited May 2018
    Wobbie said:

I was okay with it in the immediate aftermath of 9/11 but doing it now doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
    Are the Yankees still doing GBA for every damn game? Are they still bringing out that Shrek looking motherfucker to sing it? Or is it just the canned Kate Smith?

Fenway might break out GBA for special event type of games, but other than that, it’s just TMOTTBG. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    Wobbie said:

Are the Yankees still doing GBA for every damn game? Are they still bringing out that Shrek looking motherfucker to sing it? Or is it just the canned Kate Smith?

Fenway might break out GBA for special event type of games, but other than that, it’s just TMOTTBG. 
    Every. Game.

It's canned Kate Smith, but they bring out a vet and honor them and their family on the field prior..  The people seem pretty excited and happy.

The Shrek looking motherfucker got kicked to the curb a while back after he made some antisemitic comments.  I am pretty sure he moved up to bean town where he'd fit in a lot more. hahah.
    the combination of sports and military/patriotism is so fucking stupid. and everyone just plays along, not realizing it makes zero sense. 

everyone got all fucking excited when we had fighter jets fly over our playoff home games in Winnipeg. yes, we are called the jets. but i guarntee you it would have been the same if our team was called the Winnipeg Mosquitoes. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

One of the coolest sports feelings ever for me was when a Stealth Fighter flew over Angels stadium during the World Series lead up.  It was so fucking cool - I was in the upper deck and it felt like it was very close.
    Had nothing to do with the military that I thought it was cool - had to do with such awesome tech being seen up close. Made no connection with it as a death machine but just as a cool ass jet.
    Hockey flyover is dumb....fans are indoors!
    One of the coolest sports feelings ever for me was when a Stealth Fighter flew over Angels stadium during the World Series lead up.  It was so fucking cool - I was in the upper deck and it felt like it was very close.
    Had nothing to do with the military that I thought it was cool - had to do with such awesome tech being seen up close. Made no connection with it as a death machine but just as a cool ass jet.
    Could have watched that all day long out in the Mojave desert.

I used to watch all the planes that we "didn't know about" flying in the sky.  It was neat because I had an air show every day. F16, F22, Stealth bomber, Stealth fighter, B-1 bomber, C-135, SR-71 and the occasional space shuttle landing.
    they flew over the street party just outside the arena which had about 20,000 people at it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

they flew over the street party just outside the arena which had about 20,000 people at it. 
    Then I agree with those who were excited about it, that would be pretty cool to see.
    Could have watched that all day long out in the Mojave desert.

I used to watch all the planes that we "didn't know about" flying in the sky.  It was neat because I had an air show every day. F16, F22, Stealth bomber, Stealth fighter, B-1 bomber, C-135, SR-71 and the occasional space shuttle landing.
    Yeah..but then I would have been in the desert.  I did not enjoy Palm Springs/Palm Desert when I went.  (Many, many times)  Winter visits were ok but too damn hot otherwise.
    Then I agree with those who were excited about it, that would be pretty cool to see.
    I didn't say I disagreed with being excited about it. I wasn't at that street party, but I took my kids outside to see if we could see them fly by as we are pretty close to downtown. we saw them at a distance but nothing like it would have been flying directly overhead. 

I just think military and sports are an odd combo. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Yeah, I don't know....I think fly overs are usually pretty awesome.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Planes are cool. Powerful planes are even cooler and flyovers are the coolest
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    the combination of sports and military/patriotism is so fucking stupid. and everyone just plays along, not realizing it makes zero sense. 

everyone got all fucking excited when we had fighter jets fly over our playoff home games in Winnipeg. yes, we are called the jets. but i guarntee you it would have been the same if our team was called the Winnipeg Mosquitoes. 
    100% agree!  I know the NFL does it as a recruitment tool.  We have to convince all the young barbarians to join the military so they can be big & tough like their NFL heroes used as slaves/casualties the next time we decide to blow someone up for their resources.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,143
    If I had the power of mind control. One of the things I would do is make the whole stadium crowd kneel during the national anthem
    I miss igotid88
    dankind said:
    Wobbie said:

yeah, but you dumb fucks do the “sweet caroline” thing.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22

was even better in SF!

fuck the angels! I may never get over that rally monkey shit.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    igotid88 said:
    If I had the power of mind control. One of the things I would do is make the whole stadium crowd kneel during the national anthem
    How can you get that power?
    chinese-happy.jpg