Kendrick Lamar stops white fan from rapping N word on stage.

13»

Comments

• drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,375
    lolobugg said:
    that shit is faker than the Foo Fighters BS
    Fun story, I had a class this past semester with the guy that was invited up to play drums with Foo in Columbia, SC last year. I don’t know what constitutes fake for you, but set up before or not, Pierce killed it and is a really nice guy. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,082
    tbergs said:
    unsung said:
    If the left didn't have double standards they'd have no standards at all.
    Do you feel your contributions are beneficial to this discussion? 
    Well he didn't use the N-word so he's better than like 99.9% of the rappers out there.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    lolobugg said:
    Fun story, I had a class this past semester with the guy that was invited up to play drums with Foo in Columbia, SC last year. I don’t know what constitutes fake for you, but set up before or not, Pierce killed it and is a really nice guy. 

I think the first time might've been real but subsequent times I believe this to be setup beforehand.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• timdwillitimdwilli Los Angeles, CA Posts: 294
    lolobugg said:
    lolobugg said:

I think the first time might've been real but subsequent times I believe this to be setup beforehand.
    Setup indeed. And I'm sure your friend is a really nice guy and probably a helluva drummer, but I don't even want to watch a Taylor Hawkins drum solo let alone Taylor Hawkins AND some random person from the crowd haha
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    tbergs said:
    unsung said:
    Do you feel your contributions are beneficial to this discussion? 
    Well he didn't use the N-word so he's better than like 99.9% of the rappers out there.
    Word up homey.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    edited May 2018
    These idiots that booed her and yelled "f*** you bitch" probably say the N word when rapping along to his songs in their cars. 
    Mob mentality is a dangerous thing and a line that Kendrick shouldn't have crossed.

This was definitely set up though.  Hearing the girl call him "bro" was laughable...

Something I learned in my psychology studies, people often lose their values in a mob and take on the values of a mob. 
    People are easily led astray that it's scary.
    Yeah her "bro" got my attention. It's like a female Ali G.

Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    unsung said:
    :hushed:
    Because those right wingers have standards...
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    edited May 2018
    I gave my brother in law and my friend a listen of To pimp a butterfly and both disliked the fact Kendrick overuses the N word.
    I wish he'd cut it down if not cut it out completely. 

dankind said:
    my2hands said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    timdwilli said:
    lolobugg said:
    This whole trend of bringing audience members up on stage is terrible. Such a waste of time that cuts a song or two out of the set. Even Ed did it last year in Dublin...brought some dude up who you at least thought was a long time 10c member or someone he had a connection to, but the guy had to read the lyrics to Black off of his phone while he sat there at butchered it. Enough with this already...people paid to see YOU perform, not less talented people from the crowd. Rant over!
    I totally agree with the bolded part. Why are so many artists doing that now? I don't find it entertaining at all, or I don't 98% of the time, anyway. Plus, I think that it is stage in one way or another the majority of the time. I don't think that in this particular case, but who knows.
    That kid, Noah maybe, that played Sad with PJ in 2016 was fucking awesome

I didn't get to see that live, but I met his mom randomly in a grocery store parking lot up in Maine. The kids and I were rocking out in the car to some PJ while mom was inside getting some supplies, and she heard the music and stopped by to say hi.

In case you haven't seen it, they're doing another EB fundraiser, too: https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign/believeinmiracles

Good kids. Good parents.

More comic relief:
    https://youtu.be/nwnh1N-ioXM
    https://youtu.be/1Z7H8_S2Vzw
    I loved the second video.
  • mattsl1983mattsl1983 Posts: 711
    With the idea that hip hop culture is now mainstream, and is a very influential culture, you can’t keep words to “yourself”.  Artists have thrown the word around with no weight.  It’s become a throwaway word in certain cultures in America.  The idea that one type of people own a word and other types of people can’t use it is garbage and only serves as a divisive measure.  If we all are equal, and all cultures want to be  equal, then let it go.  That’s what equality is. 
    edited May 2018
    Back in the 80s there was no N word in hip hop other than NWA that I remember.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,956
    Ice-T, Ghetto boys, too short, Cypress Hill, basically any west coast rap act was using the word.  There were a lot of rappers/groups that became more popular in the 90's but they started it there on the west.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,956
    With the idea that hip hop culture is now mainstream, and is a very influential culture, you can’t keep words to “yourself”.  Artists have thrown the word around with no weight.  It’s become a throwaway word in certain cultures in America.  The idea that one type of people own a word and other types of people can’t use it is garbage and only serves as a divisive measure.  If we all are equal, and all cultures want to be  equal, then let it go.  That’s what equality is. 
    I've said this for a while now too.  It's stupid to claim a word then get defensive when someone else uses it.  I don't use the word because society says I shouldn't.

I do think that if it was used by everyone then it would be watered down and not mean anything but if it continues to be demonized then this will go on forever...
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,604
    PJ_Soul said:
    timdwilli said:
    lolobugg said:
    This whole trend of bringing audience members up on stage is terrible. Such a waste of time that cuts a song or two out of the set. Even Ed did it last year in Dublin...brought some dude up who you at least thought was a long time 10c member or someone he had a connection to, but the guy had to read the lyrics to Black off of his phone while he sat there at butchered it. Enough with this already...people paid to see YOU perform, not less talented people from the crowd. Rant over!
    I totally agree with the bolded part. Why are so many artists doing that now? I don't find it entertaining at all, or I don't 98% of the time, anyway. Plus, I think that it is stage in one way or another the majority of the time. I don't think that in this particular case, but who knows.
    I liked barber shop Ed in Spokane, though. 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,506
    PJ_Soul said:
    timdwilli said:
    lolobugg said:
    I liked barber shop Ed in Spokane, though. 
    It was funny for a couple minutes, but went on way too long IMO.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Ice-T, Ghetto boys, too short, Cypress Hill, basically any west coast rap act was using the word.  There were a lot of rappers/groups that became more popular in the 90's but they started it there on the west.
    I was thinking Ice-T but wasn't sure.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    unsung said:
    Left, right, forward, reverse, what difference does it make?  Double standards are not exclusive to "the left."
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    unsung said:
    Left, right, forward, reverse, what difference does it make?  Double standards are not exclusive to "the left."
    I’m still trying to figure out what the double standard is. 
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    unsung said:
    I’m still trying to figure out what the double standard is. 
    I'm sure unsung can fill us in with a 4-6 word ambiguous response like he always does.
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,824
    edited May 2018
    I haven't  read every single post on here but . This is my view.
    Why the fuck can black people say it. And say don't you dare say it you white people.  
    If it's so repulsive  nobody say it full stop
     Don't write it in lyrics. Don't  greet each other with it. Delete it from life.
    Totally  hypocritical  and wrong of anyone to use it and say don't  you say it....but I can. Pathetic . That s my view . I love every walk of life . 
    I think Kendrick whoever the fuck he is . He is the problem  and those like him.
    This is not for you.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    Why the fuck can black people say it. And say don't you dare say it you white people.  
    Totally  hypocritical  and wrong of anyone to use it and say don't  you say it....but I can. Pathetic . That s my view . I love every walk of life . 
    I think Kendrick whoever the fuck he is . He is the problem  and those like him.
    This is not for you.
    This is not for you is exactly right and why a lot of blacks say it. It’s their word and no longer white people’s word. When they use it in a medium of any kind, it’s a way to hold power over what they created. I think whites struggle with this, because historically, whites had the power over language, its meaning, and what can be said or not said.  
    edited May 2018
    This is not for you.
    This is not for you is exactly right and why a lot of blacks say it. It’s their word and no longer white people’s word. When they use it in a medium of any kind, it’s a way to hold power over what they created. I think whites struggle with this, because historically, whites had the power over language, its meaning, and what can be said or not said.  
    That isn't why I struggle with it. I struggle with it because that theory is stupid and doesn't work. It's totally counterproductive. I think more and more black people are starting to realize that too.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    This is not for you.
    That isn't why I struggle with it. I struggle with it because that theory is stupid and doesn't work. It's totally counterproductive. I think more and more black people are starting to realize that too.
    I’m not sure I know what you mean by doesn’t work. It’s a theory on what’s happening. I works for me personally to where I understand it usage and that it’s not acceptable for me to say it. 
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,189
    PJ_Soul said:
    This is not for you.
    I’m not sure I know what you mean by doesn’t work. It’s a theory on what’s happening. I works for me personally to where I understand it usage and that it’s not acceptable for me to say it. 
    Here is the issue as i see it.  to the current younger generation rap is the most mainstream musical genre.  by repeatedly using the word in songs you are lessening the impact.  the more we are exposed as a society to things we begin to become desensitized to their impact. like school shootings. each time the impact by those not directly affected is lessened. that to me is what i think happens when you use the word in your art to an especially younger white audience. 
    PJ_Soul said:
    This is not for you.
    I mean the theory hasn't panned out like they hoped. It's backfired. It does not help to "hold power over what they created". It simply brings negative consequences, and propagates a terrible racial slur, and that's about it.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    PJ_Soul said:
    This is not for you.
    I probably would not use it if I was black, but i think the whole point is that is THEIR decision to make, not mine or yours. 

Some say it, some dont, and they dont care what you or I think about it. As pointed out, this is Not For You. 

Richard Pryor stopped saying it 40 years ago after he took a trip to Africa...

but this stunt by Kendrick Lamar is pretty lame to me, he asked the girl to sing and it's part of his lyrics, he put the girl in a bad spot and should have been aware of that
    my2hands said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    This is not for you.
    I probably would not use it if I was black, but i think the whole point is that is THEIR decision to make, not mine or yours. 

Some say it, some dont, and they dont care what you or I think about it. As pointed out, this is Not For You. 

but this stunt by Kendrick Lamar is pretty lame to me, he asked the girl to sing and it's part of his lyrics, he put the girl in a bad spot and should have been aware of that
    Yes, it's their decision - I'm not saying it's not. I'm just saying that the decision to keep using it seems like a bad one that is backfiring.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,082
    edited May 2018
    my2hands said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    This is not for you.

Just cause it’s their decision doesn’t mean they aren’t making an awfully bad decision in my opinion.  It’s awful. Not to mention all the other terms used...again their choice. 

And for this stunt Kendrick is an ...... idiot.
    hippiemom = goodness