See something, say something... unless...

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Somethings become suspicious after the fact. If I was working in my garage through the night repetitively, my neighbors would say it’s annoying, not suspicious.  It’s natural to change meaning to something in hindsight so we don’t look like a dipstick. 
    but if I saw a husband and wife doing it together and getting deliveries at that time of night, darn tootin' I'd be wondering WTF is going on, regardless of skin colour. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    I would not have called the police for it but the BBQ incident they were doing something they weren't supposed to be doing. I have no problem with saying something if i see something. better to be safe than sorry...unless...
    yes, but would she have called the cops if it was a bunch of cardigan-wearing blonde people? who knows. 
    obviously we will never know that but might be a good idea to be careful before labeling someone racist these days. not everyone who calls the police on black people are being racist.  i think that is where the tone is moving to these days.  we have to be careful not to go to far in either direction...calling too much or calling not at all.
    They may not be racist or openly biased in their views, but their unconscious bias is interfering with their decision making. It comes down to the totality of circumstances, which isn't being applied in these situations.

It's a hopeless situation...
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited May 2018
    Somethings become suspicious after the fact. If I was working in my garage through the night repetitively, my neighbors would say it’s annoying, not suspicious.  It’s natural to change meaning to something in hindsight so we don’t look like a dipstick. 
    but if I saw a husband and wife doing it together and getting deliveries at that time of night, darn tootin' I'd be wondering WTF is going on, regardless of skin colour. 
    Yes... and that is where common sense comes in, right? People need to develop the wisdom to understand what is actually suspicious behaviour vs. a non-white person doing something normal.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yes... and that is where common sense comes in, right? People need to develop the wisdom to understand what is actually suspicious behaviour vs. a non-white person doing something normal.
    we unfortunately are being programmed to live in a culture of fear, so it's very difficult to think objectively and critically when you think your (or others') lives might be in imminent danger. 

fear + personal biases = social chaos
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Right, but that would require a pattern to be developed. You may think it's a little weird the first night, but the continued activity is what would make it suspicious, especially if it was a change from the known behavior they had already established and you'd come to expect.

That just makes me wonder what about these situations is making someone call the police on a first time instance? Is it a preconceived idea based on other incidents they've encountered or related to how that person looks. We've each got a threshold that tips us to call based on our life experiences, implicit fear, bias, etc. Someone who has been the victim of a robbery at night while on a walk may tend to be more over cautious about calling in or reporting people that remind them of their own incident, while I might not even think twice about it.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited May 2018
    In the very tony town next to mine, people call the cops when they see a black person just walking down the sidewalk. I see it in the town's police blotter all the time. It doesn't make national headlines, but perhaps it should.

I took one of my black friends who was visiting me to a bar there -- at the time, my town didn't have a single bar other than the bar at Uno's -- and they looked at him like he was the grim reaper.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,588
    And sometimes people will talk themselves into not responding, and then after the fact make up a reason for their passivity. What sounds better to the press, saying you just don’t get involved in other people’s business, or I didn’t want to be called a racist?  I guess I’m saying I don’t always accept someone’s reason for not getting involved. 
    tbergs said:
    Right, but that would require a pattern to be developed. You may think it's a little weird the first night, but the continued activity is what would make it suspicious, especially if it was a change from the known behavior they had already established and you'd come to expect.

That just makes me wonder what about these situations is making someone call the police on a first time instance? Is it a preconceived idea based on other incidents they've encountered or related to how that person looks. We've each got a threshold that tips us to call based on our life experiences, implicit fear, bias, etc. Someone who has been the victim of a robbery at night while on a walk may tend to be more over cautious about calling in or reporting people that remind them of their own incident, while I might not even think twice about it.
    well of course I wouldn't think anything of it the first night, or maybe even a few nights. 

fear. media-driven fear. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    I would not have called the police for it but the BBQ incident they were doing something they weren't supposed to be doing. I have no problem with saying something if i see something. better to be safe than sorry...unless...
    yes, but would she have called the cops if it was a bunch of cardigan-wearing blonde people? who knows. 
    obviously we will never know that but might be a good idea to be careful before labeling someone racist these days. not everyone who calls the police on black people are being racist.  i think that is where the tone is moving to these days.  we have to be careful not to go to far in either direction...calling too much or calling not at all.
    Hell, even if she isn't racist, she deserves to be publicly shamed just for calling the cops about anyone using charcoal instead of propane. That's ridiculous, and at the very least I hope people learn that you don't go calling the cops for stupid shit like that. Not unless you maybe live in Mayberry or something, where the cops literally have nothing better to do.
    no she does not.  so breaking the rules is ok but calling the police on someone breaking the rules because they are black and you are white deserves public shaming?  come on that's a stretch to me.   Again in no way would I have called the police or even cared one bit in this situation but I don't think she should be publicly shamed either.  
    edited May 2018
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    Hell, even if she isn't racist, she deserves to be publicly shamed just for calling the cops about anyone using charcoal instead of propane. That's ridiculous, and at the very least I hope people learn that you don't go calling the cops for stupid shit like that. Not unless you maybe live in Mayberry or something, where the cops literally have nothing better to do.
    no she does not.  so breaking the rules is ok but calling the police on someone breaking the rules because they are black and you are white deserves public shaming?  come on that's a stretch to me.   Again in no way would I have called the police or even cared one bit in this situation but I don't think she should be publicly shamed either.  
    Well, it was admittedly easy to say because I 100% believe it was about her being racist.
    But still, yeah, I think only a complete busybody moron would call the cops for this in any case, and I have no problem with busybody morons doing stupid shit that negatively impacts other people being called out on it publicly.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    Well, it was admittedly easy to say because I 100% believe it was about her being racist.
    But still, yeah, I think only a complete busybody moron would call the cops for this in any case, and I have no problem with busybody morons doing stupid shit that negatively impacts other people being called out on it publicly.
    but why? if her intent was pure (not racist), she's to be shamed for asking people to follow the law? why would that be? 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    but why? if her intent was pure (not racist), she's to be shamed for asking people to follow the law? why would that be? 
    I just read the article and didn’t realize what they were doing is illegal so I really don’t think the lady did anything wrong. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    Because I've had about enough of people acting like stupid petty assholes. Maybe the threat of consequences will help stop them.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    Because I've had about enough of people acting like stupid petty assholes. Maybe the threat of consequences will help stop them.
    how is it petty to expect people not to burn down a park?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

did it annoy me when I was a teen having a bonfire party on the beach and someone called the cops on us because it is illegal? OF COURSE. did I also understand what I was doing was illegal and they had every right to want to preserve the beach they own a cottage at. also, absolutely. 

I was annoyed the party was over, I was not annoyed at the cops or the people who called them. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    everyone does stupid shit at one time or another. i don't think we should be publicly shaming everyone.  unfortunately we live in a 'got ya' society today.  that concerns me.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    Maybe they didn't know. The whole story is pretty vague. I think it's dumb and petty she called 911. Why couldn't she just approach them and politely see if they knew the rules. I can't speculate what prompted her to call 911, but it's one of those things that falls in line with calling the police for someone with an unleashed dog. Unless you have a prior history or know the person to constantly abuse the rule, why call 911 about it. It doesn't sound like these were drunken assholes or unruly people.
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    everyone does stupid shit at one time or another. i don't think we should be publicly shaming everyone.  unfortunately we live in a 'got ya' society today.  that concerns me.
    The risk of viral humiliation and judgment is high these days. Most of the time we aren't even getting the full context of the incident before someone's life has been greatly affected and damaged.
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    Maybe they didn't know. The whole story is pretty vague. I think it's dumb and petty she called 911. Why couldn't she just approach them and politely see if they knew the rules. I can't speculate what prompted her to call 911, but it's one of those things that falls in line with calling the police for someone with an unleashed dog. Unless you have a prior history or know the person to constantly abuse the rule, why call 911 about it. It doesn't sound like these were drunken assholes or unruly people.
    true enough. 911 was a bit much. but calling non-emerg police isn't out of the realm of reasonable if she thought there was potential for damage to the park/surrounding area. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    edited May 2018
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    I've defended the callers on some of these other high profile cases, but this one seems different.
    Doesn't the article say this is an annual thing, and that they had permits? Looking at the picture it looks very well organized. I think calling the cops was very dumb on this one.
    "To make it happen, they reportedly spent $700 on city permits and coordinated with city officials like the fire department"

If this was a park geared towards little kids, and a giant group like this just took over and was leaving trash everywhere, maybe I could see calling the cops. But that wasnt the case.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    First of all she was wrong about the rule and second she didn't just call the cops she waited on the phone for nearly two hours to try and get the cops to come to deal with it.
    Mind your own damn business or don't be worried if either people aren't going to when you get publicly shamed.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    mace1229 said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    I've defended the callers on some of these other high profile cases, but this one seems different.
    Doesn't the article say this is an annual thing, and that they had permits? Looking at the picture it looks very well organized. I think calling the cops was very dumb on this one.
    "To make it happen, they reportedly spent $700 on city permits and coordinated with city officials like the fire department"

If this was a park geared towards little kids, and a giant group like this just took over and was leaving trash everywhere, maybe I could see calling the cops. But that wasnt the case.
    That was of the BBQ in response to the initial incident with 2 black males.
    edited May 2018
    tbergs said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    The risk of viral humiliation and judgment is high these days. Most of the time we aren't even getting the full context of the incident before someone's life has been greatly affected and damaged.
    I completely agree. OUt of the several high profile incidents recently I think some were actually warranted. But a white person cant call the cops on na black person without being called racist and SNL poking fun at you for doing it.
    Its almost like the Boy Who Cried Wolf now, that card is played so often.
    I'm not saying it doesn't happen, or that black people don't get the cops called more. They probably do. But it is also clear to me that if you're white and call the cops on a black person for doing something illegal you run a high risk of being called racist.
    rgambs said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    First of all she was wrong about the rule and second she didn't just call the cops she waited on the phone for nearly two hours to try and get the cops to come to deal with it.
    Mind your own damn business or don't be worried if either people aren't going to when you get publicly shamed.
    everything I've read so far says the woman claimed it was illegal, but no article has clarified if it was or not. 

again, I don't condone "busy-body" behaviour, but I draw the line at safety, especialy potential fire issues. if it was legal, fine, the woman was in the wrong, but if she was correct about the by-law, I see nothing wrong with her concern. 

Would I have done it? no. 

in winnipeg a woman got a visit from Child and Family Services for letting her young children play in her FENCED IN YARD. She was in the kitchen watching them. And now she has a permanent file with CFS. now THAT was ridiculous. 

maybe if the kids were playing new power tools or something, but jesus. use your head. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited May 2018
    rgambs said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    everything I've read so far says the woman claimed it was illegal, but no article has clarified if it was or not. 

again, I don't condone "busy-body" behaviour, but I draw the line at safety, especialy potential fire issues. if it was legal, fine, the woman was in the wrong, but if she was correct about the by-law, I see nothing wrong with her concern. 

Would I have done it? no. 

in winnipeg a woman got a visit from Child and Family Services for letting her young children play in her FENCED IN YARD. She was in the kitchen watching them. And now she has a permanent file with CFS. now THAT was ridiculous. 

maybe if the kids were playing new power tools or something, but jesus. use your head. 
    The article you sent me said they had permits to do it.

They didn't specify exactly what the permits were for, but if the fire dept was involved, I think it is safe to assume they had the clearance to have a charcoal grill.

She might just be a grouchy old lady though, I'm not convinced it was racist. Maybe, maybe not.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    It's not at all a reasonable assumption that grow adults having an organized BBQ are going to burn down a park.  

It's called mind your damn business, don't people get taught that still?
    They should.
    Don't be a fucking rat either. 

What's next, do we call the cops on jaywalkers?  If I see somebody smoking weed, should I call the cops?  What if someone is driving without a seatbelt?  Better call the law!!

rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    It's not at all a reasonable assumption that grow adults having an organized BBQ are going to burn down a park.  

They should.

What's next, do we call the cops on jaywalkers?  If I see somebody smoking weed, should I call the cops?  What if someone is driving without a seatbelt?  Better call the law!!

I don't know if calling the police in all the situations warrants it, but I would default to the totality of circumstances. A jay walker weaving in and out of traffic is not something to take lightly. High safety risk. Seatbelt, meh, probably not, but if they have kids in the car with them I'd be concerned they aren't as diligent about ensuring the safety of their kids. The weed smoking situation also requires context. I also don't think we should teach people to ignore delinquent behaviors either. It's a fine line.
    tbergs said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

They should.

I don't know if calling the police in all the situations warrants it, but I would default to the totality of circumstances. A jay walker weaving in and out of traffic is not something to take lightly. High safety risk. Seatbelt, meh, probably not, but if they have kids in the car with them I'd be concerned they aren't as diligent about ensuring the safety of their kids. The weed smoking situation also requires context. I also don't think we should teach people to ignore delinquent behaviors either. It's a fine line.
    I disagree.
    No fine line.
    It's a big fat ass line.

If nobody is getting hurt, mind your own damn business.
    Lost in all of this was that they were doing something that was illegal. I wouldn’t have called 9-11 myself but maybe the lady who called thought she was doing the right thing.  The response by the public was great but this seems like such a non story to me.