Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,140
    One thing I don’t mind paying for in my taxes is to have all schools install metal detectors at all entrances/exits.  It won’t stop everything but it’s an easy start.

9/11 happened and look what we all go through at airports since then.  A necessary precaution to getting my ass blown up or some other airborne terrorism.  

School shootings have happened, why the delay to install hardcore detection at the doors and secure methods to keep the guns out?
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,930
    ^ Agreed. It’s probably time. 
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited May 2018
    Ok.....

And what about movie theaters? Churches? Hotel rooms? Waffle Houses? Subways? Street corners? Roadways? Family massacres? Etc? Etc? Etc? Etc? Etc?

The sooner people realize GUNS are the problem, the sooner we can start making real progress, instead of putting bandaids on literal bullet wounds
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    Ok.....

And what about movie theaters? Churches? Hotel rooms? Waffle Houses? Subways? Street corners? Roadways? Family massacres? Etc? Etc? Etc? Etc? Etc?

The sooner people realize GUNS are the problem, the sooner we can start making real progress, instead of putting bandaids on literal bullet wounds
    The guns aren’t going to vanish anytime soon. Bandaids are better than nothing at this point. 
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,216
    One thing I don’t mind paying for in my taxes is to have all schools install metal detectors at all entrances/exits.  It won’t stop everything but it’s an easy start.

9/11 happened and look what we all go through at airports since then.  A necessary precaution to getting my ass blown up or some other airborne terrorism.  

School shootings have happened, why the delay to install hardcore detection at the doors and secure methods to keep the guns out?
    How does this even make logical sense? Besides the cost to do so, schools don't have one designated entrance and exit like an airport that allows for controlled check points. On top of that, will schools be notifying parents to arrive an hour to an hour and a half early to go through security clearance? Then there's recess, bus pick up and drop off, etc. You might as well build a wall with razor wire on top too. Maybe you think that's a ridiculous comparison, but that's where it's headed.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993
    tbergs said:

How does this even make logical sense? Besides the cost to do so, schools don't have one designated entrance and exit like an airport that allows for controlled check points. On top of that, will schools be notifying parents to arrive an hour to an hour and a half early to go through security clearance? Then there's recess, bus pick up and drop off, etc. You might as well build a wall with razor wire on top too. Maybe you think that's a ridiculous comparison, but that's where it's headed.
    I picture the same thing. But I know some schools already do that. I’m curious about those school. How it works there and how big they are.
    i can’t imagine a school of 2-3000 that it wouldn’t take forever to get kids to enter just a few at a time. Not just the cost of metal detectors, but now hiring entire staff just to man them.
    All that for something that I don’t think would be very effective anyway. Many schools in places like CA are wide open and surrounded by a short fence. Probably wouldn’t have time for open lunch. Which may just sound like a luxury, but many school actually aren’t built to hold all the kids for lunch and depend on a large portion of them leaving campus for that time.
    Then there’s that many shooters are former students or enter without permission anyway. 
    Just sounds like a huge logistical nightmare that wouldn’t really do much anyway.
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    Cobra Kai motherfucker
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,975

Most likely because the gov't clearly hates spending money on education.  How many different cities/states are suing for funding?

This would be a big added cost to the schools budget.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,975
    my2hands said:
    Ok.....

The newer generation will have to make the changes to gun laws.

I do believe copycat crimes are a huge reason for why people do this.

Something I would propose across the boards is that your weapon(s) need to be secured.  If they are in plain site and can be grabbed easily then you should be accountable.  If you have a safe or a trigger lock and that gets broken into then you are not liable.  Only problem i see with this is how hard is it to prove for or against the gun owner?
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,949
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    Why a child that age is being allowed to handle a gun like that is just maddening. There should be age restrictions on when a child is even allowed to handle certain guns or be trained on their use by a parent. To me, that kid looks to young to be given a BB gun and for sure should never be allowed to handle any other type of gun. 
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    unsung said:
    she's speaking to the people who have become one issue voters, to make it crystal clear who to vote for. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options

unfortunately that wouldn't matter. lock the schools down like prisons, and the school shooters will turn into mall shooters, or public pool shooters, or grocery store shooters......etc. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    unsung said:
    Do you think she was trying to be brave? She's making it clear to the voters where she stands and is asking others to do the same. For someone who claims to have no allegiance to the NRA you sure are quick to speak out for them.
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,140
    tbergs said:

I think it was pretty logical.  If they can’t get guns into the school they can’t shoot people.  Why can’t they make it just in or two designated entrances/exits? Sounds to me like you’re looking for bad things in a possible solution instead of the right things in it.

Wait, you mean I have to show up 3 hours before my flight to get through security?  Oh my god! Oh wait, we do that without blinking an eye now.

i will give zero shitz about dropping my kid off at 6am every morning.

but hey, I’m just trying to come up with scenarios that will help, not argue in circles about why we can’t do things.  People told me I shouldn’t open a business years ago because of the risk but I’m opening my 3rd. I don’t listen to negative nancies, I just do.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    tbergs said:

I think it was pretty logical.  If they can’t get guns into the school they can’t shoot people.  Why can’t they make it just in or two designated entrances/exits? Sounds to me like you’re looking for bad things in a possible solution instead of the right things in it.

Wait, you mean I have to show up 3 hours before my flight to get through security?  Oh my god! Oh wait, we do that without blinking an eye now.

but hey, I’m just trying to come up with scenarios that will help, not argue in circles about why we can’t do things.  People told me I shouldn’t open a business years ago because of the risk but I’m opening my 3rd. I don’t listen to negative nancies, I just do.

Drag kids out of bed at 5am so you can safely get them into schools for a 6am start time? So f**kwads can keep shootin' shit and pretend they are Rambo?

What kind of nonsense are you prepared to endure to maintain the status quo? Holy Christ, man.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    tbergs said:

it's not negative to be realistic. "too many doors" is just another deflection from the gun lobby. it's preposterous at best. what happens if there's a fire? or if the shooter is able to make it past the security at the one door, when all the kids are running for their lives to that one door to escape, he mows them all down. 

this isn't the left saying "well we can't use THAT solution, then we can't take your guns!". keep your hand guns and rifles. make it impossible to get AR-15's or anything like it. it's been done before. it can and should be done again. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    edited May 2018
    tbergs said:

I found it illogical because of the time, money and practicality of this being implemented at the more than 98,000 existing public schools in this country. There are about 5,000 public airports in this country. Now, truly if we want to address this issue for future generations, then all new schools should be designed with heightened security for active shooter situations. This could be helpful 50 - 100 years from now if we do not take any other action to reduce these incidents.

As for your comment about dropping your kid off at 6am, I'm highly disturbed by your willingness to leave them there like some piece of luggage. So many people who oppose gun restrictions in this thread have mentioned how we need to "parent" more, but yet here you are advocating for kids to be subjected to more time at school. Really, what the fuck? Your comment is outright ignorant and stupid.

I need to stop before I say something I shouldn't. 
    Post edited by tbergs on
  • Options

unfortunately that wouldn't matter. lock the schools down like prisons, and the school shooters will turn into mall shooters, or public pool shooters, or grocery store shooters......etc. 
    remember the whack-a-mole game? That’s what this reminds me of. 
  • Options

Most likely because the gov't clearly hates spending money on education.  How many different cities/states are suing for funding?

This would be a big added cost to the schools budget.
    Mine sure is. IL is a joke. You’re right though. It wouldn’t get funded.

I did agree it was a viable option, in theory, but i never envisioned airport security lines. Obviously that wouldn’t work. Getting kids to school 2 hours early isn’t the solution. 
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    tbergs said:

it's not negative to be realistic. "too many doors" is just another deflection from the gun lobby. it's preposterous at best. what happens if there's a fire? or if the shooter is able to make it past the security at the one door, when all the kids are running for their lives to that one door to escape, he mows them all down. 

this isn't the left saying "well we can't use THAT solution, then we can't take your guns!". keep your hand guns and rifles. make it impossible to get AR-15's or anything like it. it's been done before. it can and should be done again. 
    And what about the millions or billions already out there?  No one is going to sell them to the govt for “fair market values.  Maybe offer $5000 for each firearm turned in...Bloomberg could do that with half of what he spent campaigning against firearms...maybe even tap into some of those Soros funds, lol. 

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993
    tbergs said:

Not that I agree with the "too many door" argument, but your scenarios are easily solved. My school, shortly after Sandy Hook, kept all of the doors, but turned them into either exit only or emergency exits only by locking them from the outside only. They remodeled the entrance of the school so that students can only enter through the front, and Any parent or late student who arrives after classes begin are funneled through the main office, through a series of doors that have to be "buzzed" open.
    It won't really prevent a kid from walking in with the rest of school with guns, but it will make it very difficult for someone to just show up and walk in after school has started. And we still have dozens of exits to use in emergencies. 
    You only need to control the entrance, you don't as tight of security on the exits.

We did have a student open an exit to let a former student in with a gun earlier this  year. But it sounded alarms and both were arrested. NO incident came of it, I think once he realized he was immediately spotted he ran off, the gun was never found.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    tbergs said:

And what about the millions or billions already out there?  No one is going to sell them to the govt for “fair market values.  Maybe offer $5000 for each firearm turned in...Bloomberg could do that with half of what he spent campaigning against firearms...maybe even tap into some of those Soros funds, lol. 

According to the NRA, there were about 5 million AR's owned by Americans in 2016. Other research puts it as high as 10 million, which is actually a small percentage of the over 300 million total firearms owned in the US. With that said we have doubled production of firearms in the last 10 years overall, which is crazy.

https://public.tableau.com/views/Gunboom/Dashboard1?:embed=y&:loadOrderID=0&:display_count=yes&:showTabs=y

Why anyone would expect to get $5,000 for their $500 gun is beyond me. That would be stupid. If you aren't willing to get full value of what you paid, as long as it's in decent condition, then you probably aren't ever going to sell your gun anyway. But yeah, a buyback program will never work, if we don't change the gun culture. Buy back a million while the manufacturers are making 10 million more of them every year. That's also stupid.

• Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited May 2018
    Edit, read your post wrong in original post.  But I agree, buyback will not work unless the owners are offered way more incentives to sell them.  No one buys one to turn around and sell for the same price.  And if production of them is made illegal, then the ones in existence become way more valuable.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited May 2018

I assume this idea is to try and stop rampage killers? Well what happens when the rampage killer shoots the person standing next to the metal detector and goes on his merry way?
    Metal detectors at schools are not meant to stop these kinds of mass shootings. They are used in really problematic schools that have huge gang issues, where kids will smuggle weapons into the school because they use them against other kids during fights and shit like that. These kinds of security tactics are not practical for all schools at all when it comes to preventing rampage shootings, and not least because it would be a massive waste of money given the actual risk. Yes, these mass killings at schools are horrible, but the chances of a kid being killed at school is only about 1 in a million (I looked it up), and that doesn't only include mass shootings. No matter how scared and disturbed people are, reactions like installing extreme security measures in every school in the country (and by doing so, changing the school experience for the worse, while not actually working to prevent the problem that is meant to be fixed) simply does not make sense logistically or economically. This kind of thing isn't a Band-aid solution. It's a knee-jerk reaction.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,283
    tbergs said:

How about sitting in class with them so you can protect them in case a shooter comes barreling thru i mean if your willing to get them up at 5AM to get them to school might as well sit in with them too lol , hey did you name your PIZZA shop yet i gave you a good name to use was curious if you used it ? Make Pizza Great Again what you think ? ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    tbergs said:
    unsung said:
    Do you think she was trying to be brave? She's making it clear to the voters where she stands and is asking others to do the same. For someone who claims to have no allegiance to the NRA you sure are quick to speak out for them.
    Nah, just pointing out her virtue signaling.

But when the NRA starts shooting up schools instead of the registered democrats that are doing it then make sure to make a sign.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,949
    unsung said:
    tbergs said:
    unsung said:
    Nah, just pointing out her virtue signaling.

But when the NRA starts shooting up schools instead of the registered democrats that are doing it then make sure to make a sign.
    you triggered bro?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
This discussion has been closed.