Please rise and remove your caps

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,390
    edited May 2018
    PJWGIII said:
    Here’s my opinion:

Do it when when asked to do so to be respectful to others. When not, don’t worry about it at all.

It’s just a simple sign of respect, and while there’s not much of an explanation of the act itself, it goes a long way toward people who care more about that kind of stuff. But if you’re not in that kind of situation, don’t worry about it. Do what you want if you aren’t asked to do otherwise.

However, I have yet to understand why this is an enforced rule at many public schools. That scenario is the one I don’t get. 
    I challenged it often in high school. Only one teacher ever tried to give an explanation and their reasoning was to prevent gang activity... which made no sense to me. At least for the district I was in. How would a hat perpetuate gang activity anymore than a tshirt or wristband could?

it annoyed me even more that females were allowed to because then it was for fashion purposes
    Post edited by drakeheuer14 on
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    brianlux said:
    I am worldalistic, bioregionalistic, and communitialistic.  The only -istics that make sense to me.  Countries are simply artificial lines on a map.  They have no basis in reality. 
    I'm more down with this than most others... people's think I'm crazy when I go off on my soap box about this

Made up lines that really don't mean a damn thing... we are one race floating around on a rock... 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,711
    my2hands said:
    brianlux said:
    I am worldalistic, bioregionalistic, and communitialistic.  The only -istics that make sense to me.  Countries are simply artificial lines on a map.  They have no basis in reality. 
    I'm more down with this than most others... people's think I'm crazy when I go off on my soap box about this

Made up lines that really don't mean a damn thing... we are one race floating around on a rock... 
    Cool!  Nice to know I'm not alone on this.  I rarely hear anyone say likewise. 

We're indoctrinated by artificial political barriers from the get go. 

What is one of the first things they teach you in school?  Naming states and countries.  Doing jigsaw puzzles of states  or provinces.  Given a globe to study. 

What is one of the last things we are taught (if taught at all)?  What a biome is.  What comprises and ecosystem.  What an ecological community is made up of and how it keeps in balance. 

We are taught the most artificial things first and the most natural last.  No wonder we are at odds with the world we live in. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,519
    edited May 2018
    " I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Says the primary school kids in school. 

That was always fucked up to me.  Indoctrination at it's finest.  Don't pledge allegiance to anything.  It's archaic, especially forcing kids to do it.  iI's super creepy like a cult.  Complete with god reference.

Oh and remove your hat for it.

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,876
    there's a dude in my office who is in a wheelchair. we are in the elevator together. I am closest to the floor buttons. 

Hugh: hey man, which floor you heading to?
    him: stares at me defiantly, then reaches over and slams his hand on the button and says nothing the entire time

and just yesterday, leaving for the day. on the main floor we hava a series of doors, like Get Smart, to go through, to get to the parkade. I am in front of him. I hold the first door open for him, as I do for anyone, man, woman, child, able bodied or not. 

he slams through the closed door next to it. 

I go through the next door. 

he slams through the closed door next to that one again. 

some people just have a fucking insecurity that they are being treated as inferior, when they are just being treated nicely. fuck off, you bitter prick. 
    Yikes. and here you are just trying to be nice. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    there's a dude in my office who is in a wheelchair. we are in the elevator together. I am closest to the floor buttons. 

him: stares at me defiantly, then reaches over and slams his hand on the button and says nothing the entire time

and just yesterday, leaving for the day. on the main floor we hava a series of doors, like Get Smart, to go through, to get to the parkade. I am in front of him. I hold the first door open for him, as I do for anyone, man, woman, child, able bodied or not. 

some people just have a fucking insecurity that they are being treated as inferior, when they are just being treated nicely. fuck off, you bitter prick. 
    or he is in a wheelchair and is dealing with many demons we could only imagine and it has 0 to do with insecurity and that they are being treated as inferior.

I'd still have empathy
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,390
    Smellyman said:
    " I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Says the primary school kids in school. 

That was always fucked up to me.  Indoctrination at it's finest.  Don't pledge allegiance to anything.  It's archaic, especially forcing kids to do it.  iI's super creepy like a cult.  Complete with god reference.

Oh and remove your hat for it.

In Ohio where I grew up we had to say the pledge until high school when they stopped doing it altogether. I attribute it to how diverse the student body in that school district was and not wanting kids to feel uncomfortable. Real reason could be completely different, who knows.
    Anyways, my family moved to South Carolina while I was in high school and on the first day of school I think I let out an audible laugh (or something expressing my disbelief) because they were all still forced to say the pledge every damn morning. I just stood there, didnt want to be the new kid that sits during the pledge lol
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Not just a pathetic and disgusting indoctrination technique, but also a grave sin if you are a Christian.
    But, who cares about the Ten Commandments anyways?  Not nearly as important as that one little passage in Leviticus that says something about gay people.  THAT'S a REAL priority!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I remember saying the Pledge in school during the morning announcements.  We did it all the way thru high school.  I never knew what any of the words meant. It just seemed like a bunch of drivel, like a drunk person just shouting out random comments with no meaning.  If those were PJ song lyrics we'd be ripping this website apart.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I remember saying the Pledge in school during the morning announcements.  We did it all the way thru high school.  I never knew what any of the words meant. It just seemed like a bunch of drivel, like a drunk person just shouting out random comments with no meaning.  If those were PJ song lyrics we'd be ripping this website apart.
    I sat during the pledge from fourth grade on. It wasn't a forced thing in my school districts. I took more shit for it from other kids than I did from the teachers. The teachers knew it was horseshit. The kids who gave me shit just needed their noses bloodied so that they'd leave me the fuck alone.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    dankind said:
    I sat during the pledge from fourth grade on. It wasn't a forced thing in my school districts. I took more shit for it from other kids than I did from the teachers. The teachers knew it was horseshit. The kids who gave me shit just needed their noses bloodied so that they'd leave me the fuck alone.
    I tried using the "it's against my religion" excuse once... that went over like a lead balloon.
  • Options
    dankind said:
    I tried using the "it's against my religion" excuse once... that went over like a lead balloon.
    I know my rights, man. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Stay the fuck out of Malibu, Lebowski!
  • Options
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    jeffbr said:
    pjhawks said:
    brianlux said:
    What about toupees and wigs?  Should they be removed during the National Anthem?  I yes "yes".  And while your at it, take off your shoes and socks.
    do you talk during moments of silences? how about during a Eulogy?  I'm just wondering where you guys draw the line on acting with respect?  what do you do and don't do?  do you hold the door for women and the elderly or is that too much to ask you to be respectful for those thing?  just curious...seriously.
    I hold the door for anyone behind me. I give up my seat to someone who needs it (not at a PJ show, though; that seat took work to get!). I obviously don’t talk during a eulogy - what sort of question is that? 

The difference is that all of those have real world consequences if you don’t do them. Taking off a hat or leaving it on has absolutely no real world consequences to anyone except possibly a warm head, and objecting to leaving a hat because it might cause offence is a baseless as prior generations objecting to a woman’s skirt length showing her ankle.
    Yeah but as we've learned, ankles were the gateway to the knees. Now you see knees everywhere! 
    Oh, and I do take my hat off, but only so that I don't have to have a political discussion at a ball game. I don't sing the anthem, but if we're playing a Canadian team, I'm all over that one. It's a much better tune.

You need to get over this fixation...it's unhealthy...
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    i_lov_it said:
    jeffbr said:
    pjhawks said:
    brianlux said:
    What about toupees and wigs?  Should they be removed during the National Anthem?  I yes "yes".  And while your at it, take off your shoes and socks.
    do you talk during moments of silences? how about during a Eulogy?  I'm just wondering where you guys draw the line on acting with respect?  what do you do and don't do?  do you hold the door for women and the elderly or is that too much to ask you to be respectful for those thing?  just curious...seriously.
    I hold the door for anyone behind me. I give up my seat to someone who needs it (not at a PJ show, though; that seat took work to get!). I obviously don’t talk during a eulogy - what sort of question is that? 

The difference is that all of those have real world consequences if you don’t do them. Taking off a hat or leaving it on has absolutely no real world consequences to anyone except possibly a warm head, and objecting to leaving a hat because it might cause offence is a baseless as prior generations objecting to a woman’s skirt length showing her ankle.
    Yeah but as we've learned, ankles were the gateway to the knees. Now you see knees everywhere! 
    Oh, and I do take my hat off, but only so that I don't have to have a political discussion at a ball game. I don't sing the anthem, but if we're playing a Canadian team, I'm all over that one. It's a much better tune.

Stop being a weirdo. This is exactly the kind of fixation I was referencing in the other thread toward Gern. It's a pattern.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    edited May 2018
    jeffbr said:
    i_lov_it said:
    jeffbr said:
    pjhawks said:
    brianlux said:

Stop being a weirdo. This is exactly the kind of fixation I was referencing in the other thread toward Gern. It's a pattern.

Huh???...are you for real?...resorting to *NAME* calling now???...if there's anyone that has a fixation it's you...I Know when I can see Projection...and there's nothing wrong with it ok...it's just a normal Human emotion...so I ask you to stop it...

Edit...and hey if you feel the need for Name calling that's ok...just let it out ok...

Post edited by i_lov_it on
  • Options
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    I would be OK with this pledge of allegiance.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:
    I would be OK with this pledge of allegiance.
    I concur. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    Smellyman said:

or he is in a wheelchair and is dealing with many demons we could only imagine and it has 0 to do with insecurity and that they are being treated as inferior.

I'd still have empathy
    of course he could be. we all have demons. but most of us don't treat people being nice to us like shit. this guy is a fucking asshole to everyone. my guess is, if I didn't hold the door for him, it would reinforce some bitterness towards bipeds that we simply don't care for the physically challenged. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    brianlux said:
    my2hands said:
    brianlux said:

What is one of the first things they teach you in school?  Naming states and countries.  Doing jigsaw puzzles of states  or provinces.  Given a globe to study. 

What is one of the last things we are taught (if taught at all)?  What a biome is.  What comprises and ecosystem.  What an ecological community is made up of and how it keeps in balance. 

We are taught the most artificial things first and the most natural last.  No wonder we are at odds with the world we live in. 
    I say this all the time to people. I'm usually looked at like I'm deranged. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    edited May 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I don't understand why this is even a big deal; take your hat for 90 seconds.
    Some people don't understand why this is even a big deal, who cares if your hat is on or not?
    I always thought you take off your hat to show respect to the flag and our country. 
    So you've been told and you listened, and it ties in with the funny "hat rules" that were imparted by your religion so it made sense.
    Not everyone thinks like that.

Some people see these sorts of rules and rituals as relics of a past which needs let go, or they are just very resistant to examples of groupthink like this where people follow blindly in footsteps they don't understand.  
    My religion?  
    My grandfather (ww2 vet) and dad (vietnam vet) instilled this thinking, and i'll do the same to my kids.  I really don't see the harm in it.  It is all of 90 seconds.
    Aren't you Catholic?
    They have rules about hats so it would make sense that you wouldn't be inclined to question it.

Nationalism is ugly and many people want no part of it.
    Yeah I am catholic but I don’t Associate the two together. I see nothing wrong with nationalism, I am proud to live in the United States. 

I always find this statement, "I am proud to live in (this country)" very interesting. I mean, what is there to be proud of? Pride generally stems from something you did or had a part in doing that is positive. 

if you were born there, you had zero part in choosing your geographical location. and you also had zero part in what the US is today, in the grand scheme. 

I am not proud to be Canadian. I'm happy to live in Canada, but I wouldn't use the word pride. 

as to your previous statement, "I don't see the harm in it". I agree, there really is no harm in it. Unless you couple it with a message of derision of places that aren't the US. 
    You wouldn’t use the word pride but I would. Yeah I am proud to live here and Be aus citizen. I dis not do anything huge in the grand scheme off things but I do educate 100 8th graders a year and it is my hope that the majority of them do something positive for this country. So yeah, I am proud. 
    I just hope that you aren't teaching those 8th graders that "there is nothing wrong with nationalism" without qualifying the statement in GREAT detail, given the role that nationalism has had in some of the most horrific events in human history.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Some people don't understand why this is even a big deal, who cares if your hat is on or not?
    I always thought you take off your hat to show respect to the flag and our country. 
    So you've been told and you listened, and it ties in with the funny "hat rules" that were imparted by your religion so it made sense.

Some people see these sorts of rules and rituals as relics of a past which needs let go, or they are just very resistant to examples of groupthink like this where people follow blindly in footsteps they don't understand.  
    My religion?  
    My grandfather (ww2 vet) and dad (vietnam vet) instilled this thinking, and i'll do the same to my kids.  I really don't see the harm in it.  It is all of 90 seconds.
    Aren't you Catholic?
    They have rules about hats so it would make sense that you wouldn't be inclined to question it.

Yeah I am catholic but I don’t Associate the two together. I see nothing wrong with nationalism, I am proud to live in the United States. 

I always find this statement, "I am proud to live in (this country)" very interesting. I mean, what is there to be proud of? Pride generally stems from something you did or had a part in doing that is positive. 

if you were born there, you had zero part in choosing your geographical location. and you also had zero part in what the US is today, in the grand scheme. 

I am not proud to be Canadian. I'm happy to live in Canada, but I wouldn't use the word pride. 

as to your previous statement, "I don't see the harm in it". I agree, there really is no harm in it. Unless you couple it with a message of derision of places that aren't the US. 
    You wouldn’t use the word pride but I would. Yeah I am proud to live here and Be aus citizen. I dis not do anything huge in the grand scheme off things but I do educate 100 8th graders a year and it is my hope that the majority of them do something positive for this country. So yeah, I am proud. 
    I just hope that you aren't teaching those 8th graders that "there is nothing wrong with nationalism" without qualifying the statement in GREAT detail, given the role that nationalism has had in some of the most horrific events in human history.
    Oh of course.  I really highlight how too much nationalism can lead to horrific events like the Holocaust and World War 1.  Come on Allie!

• Options
    edited May 2018
    brianlux said:
    my2hands said:
    brianlux said:

I say this all the time to people. I'm usually looked at like I'm deranged
    Well, we knew that, HFD... but you're in good company!  :tongue:

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    edited May 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

My religion?  
    Aren't you Catholic?

Oh of course.  I really highlight how too much nationalism can lead to horrific events like the Holocaust and World War 1.  Come on Allie!

Just checking, lol. Don't forget to include Vietnam and the Iraq war!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

My religion?  
    Aren't you Catholic?

Just checking, lol. Don't forget to include Vietnam and the Iraq war!
    finishing up civil rights, vietnam on deck!