Kendrick Lamar stops white fan from rapping N word on stage.

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I'm with Dan here, I don't understand the visceral reaction people are having.  
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    rgambs said:
    What's visceral about it? I think my reaction to it is fairly non-emotional; I'm just calling it like I see it. I feel like everyone else also seems to be using their heads while discussing this.
    What I am doing, though, is empathizing with the girl on stage (whose life is probably suffering because of this). Thinking about this young lady being called up on stage like that, in front of all those people, my god, she probably felt barely capable of putting one foot in front of the other without falling on her face in front of the crowd, let alone have all the socio-political concerns that might come about if she sings the lyrics she's been invited up to sing run through her head while she's trying to just remember the lyrics. I think Lamar just really put her on the spot, plain and simple, and he shouldn't have the same expectation of white Jane-schmoe and he might have of his ultra racially aware cohorts. At best, this was a super inconsiderate venue for him to bring this up, and even harmful to have sent his message using this girl. I have seen that girl's photo on facebook probably 15 times on my newsfeed .... anyone considering how this is affecting her personally? She's gone viral thanks to Lamar's decision to make a point. That isn't usually a good thing. All she wanted to do was get up there and sing the song right and have a good time.

Plus, I think it's just plain idiotic to write lyrics to a song and then stop someone brought up on stage from singing those lyrics during a singalong of those lyrics. That is just straight up bullshit. I am having trouble understanding how this seems reasonable or rational to anyone, no matter what your feelings are about the N-word (which I'm sure we all think is a terrible word). I think that if Lamar wanted to make this point, he should have made without involving an innocent fan.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    edited May 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    What's visceral about it? I think my reaction to it is fairly non-emotional; I'm just calling it like I see it. I feel like everyone else also seems to be using their heads while discussing this.
    What I am doing, though, is empathizing with the girl on stage (whose life is probably suffering because of this). Thinking about this young lady being called up on stage like that, in front of all those people, my god, she probably felt barely capable of putting one foot in front of the other without falling on her face in front of the crowd, let alone have all the socio-political concerns that might come about if she sings the lyrics she's been invited up to sing run through her head while she's trying to just remember the lyrics. I think Lamar just really put her on the spot, plain and simple, and he shouldn't have the same expectation of white Jane-schmoe and he might have of his ultra racially aware cohorts. At best, this was a super inconsiderate venue for him to bring this up, and even harmful to have sent his message using this girl. I have seen that girl's photo on facebook probably 15 times on my newsfeed .... anyone considering how this is affecting her personally? She's gone viral thanks to Lamar's decision to make a point. That isn't usually a good thing. All she wanted to do was get up there and sing the song right and have a good time.

Plus, I think it's just plain idiotic to write lyrics to a song and then stop someone brought up on stage from singing those lyrics during a singalong of those lyrics. That is just straight up bullshit. I am having trouble understanding how this seems reasonable or rational to anyone, no matter what your feelings are about the N-word (which I'm sure we all think is a terrible word). I think that if Lamar wanted to make this point, he should have made without involving an innocent fan.
    After reading all the comments i have to agree with this.  I cannot for some reason bring myself to watch this video due to feeling really bad for this young girl.  Can you imagine the crap she is going through now because a message had to be made?  

ok watched the video, it was dumb, and a setup no doubt.  
    Post edited by Nami on
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    jeffbr said:
    Bitch move by Kendrick calling a white person up to sing along. I don't know that dude or his music, definitely not my thing, but I agree with Thoughts. Not sure what he expected. And fuck those white people in the crowd yelling "fuck you" to her. You know they were all singing along as well until Kendrick said something. It was a total setup. Does he punk white people at all of his shows? I wonder who buys his albums?
    I buy his albums, love his music. But this stunt has left me disappointed. I have never seen him live and was thinking of going to his upcoming show here in my city but not sure now. 
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    I feel for that woman.
    If he doesn't want people saying the N word then don't fucking put it in your lyrics.
    His songs are full of that word.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    edited May 2018
    This is dumb.

She's rapping Kendrick's lyrics. SHE is not saying the N Word, she is quoting Kendrick saying it. It's not her words, she's just reciting the words of the original artist!

I am in the camp of not understanding why the word is used casually, but if you're gonna use it, then don't get offended when others recite what you are saying and say it.

Personally, I will never say it myself. If you ever hear me say it, it will be because I'm reading or quoting the words of another person, and that's what happened here.

EDIT: After reading the article, I can defend some of the reactions of the fans, because apparently she was already annoying about getting a chance to go onstage prior to the video. However, that doesn't chance my viewpoint expressed above.
    Post edited by PJWGIII on
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
    dankind said:
    I don't think it was a stunt, and I don't think he was trying to punk anybody. He actually went out of his way to try to help her recover from the gaffe. He's stated himself in interviews that he would like to stop using the word himself, but he's been saying it his whole life and leaving it out of his lyrics is hard because it feels forced -- like he's not speaking his own truth (paraphrasing). 

If anything, I think maybe seeing how using the word in his lyrics makes white girls feel like it's OK for them to say it might be an eye opener for him. Maybe he'll revisit his own truth.

And now for some comic relief:
    https://youtu.be/ofu70pSG-1A
    I laughed hard lol
    These idiots that booed her and yelled "f*** you bitch" probably say the N word when rapping along to his songs in their cars. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    Kat said:
    I think it was intended, way back when, that using the word would remove any power from it, that the word would no longer be owned by racists. I don't think that plan is working...let's just get rid of it. It's a hideous word and not necessary in any culture.

I totally agree.  But not because white people like me say so.  What it would take would be for some high profile black people to say, "OK, look, we took that word back from the whites, we made our point and now we're going to dump it for something else, something even better".   

In 1968, James Brown came out with the song "Say it Loud- I'm Black and I'm Proud".  Around the same time, the term "Black power" was becoming a common phrase used by African Americans.  To be honest, I thought all that was a little intimidating at first but before long came to see it as something beautiful.  Some of my biggest heroes back then were black people- Jimi Hendrix, James Brown, Dick Gregory, Sun Ra, Martin Luther King and Malcolm X, among others.  Black pride was building.  But those who were making it happen were high profile folks and all the while, the average African American was still struggling under the pressures of racism and social and economic inequality.

Eventually, then, Black Power gave way to gangsta, hip hop, rap generation and the use of the "n" (as in ****a) word.  This could all possibly work well if the motive is separatism.  There is a black separatist movement that would prefer to see the races totally divided.  I can see how that came about and why some would want it, but I don't see it being the best way to go for either side.  I don't know how others feel but I want black people (and Hispanics and Asians and Indians, etc) in my life, both as heroes, and as ordinary people- neighbors and co-workers and friends.  And not so we can all eventually be "tan".  Bo-o-o-ring.  Give me variety, the spice of life.  All the colors, all the cultures sharing our talents and gifts.  The ultimate and beautiful rainbow of diversity. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    brianlux said:
    Hi! said:
    I agree. I dont know exactly, but i would estimate the crowd is 80%+ white. I guarentee when his white fans are alone by themselves or with other whites singing in their cars they aint skipping the n-word. They all acted so offended, but its ok to say cunt bitch and fuck every other word.
    I only sing the "f" word when singling along with "Save You".  I mean, how can you not, haha!
    I can’t help but think of, and therefore sing the “kcuf me” version they did on Letterman every time I hear that song.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    Hi! said:
    I agree. I dont know exactly, but i would estimate the crowd is 80%+ white. I guarentee when his white fans are alone by themselves or with other whites singing in their cars they aint skipping the n-word. They all acted so offended, but its ok to say cunt bitch and fuck every other word.
    I only sing the "f" word when singling along with "Save You".  I mean, how can you not, haha!
    I can’t help but think of, and therefore sing the “kcuf me” version they did on Letterman every time I hear that song.
    LOL, yeah that was a kick. Was great seeing Mike and Stone playing matching Teles.  That was cool.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    These idiots that booed her and yelled "f*** you bitch" probably say the N word when rapping along to his songs in their cars. 
    Mob mentality is a dangerous thing and a line that Kendrick shouldn't have crossed.

This was definitely set up though.  Hearing the girl call him "bro" was laughable...

• Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    I hate the nword as well. As a white man raising 2 biracial daughters i find the word highly offensive and would ground them for a month for using it. I dont like it in slang form either. Its degrading and offensive. My 15 yr. Old has been called the n word and it was very upsetting. I actually talked to her about this situation an she had the same reaction as alot of people, wondering what he was expecting. She loves rap and i let her listen to whatever she wants, but she doesnt like the nword either and says it embarrassing. 

It is interesting some people think this was set up. Why would he do that?

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    Hi! said:
    I hate the nword as well. As a white man raising 2 biracial daughters i find the word highly offensive and would ground them for a month for using it. I dont like it in slang form either. Its degrading and offensive. My 15 yr. Old has been called the n word and it was very upsetting. I actually talked to her about this situation an she had the same reaction as alot of people, wondering what he was expecting. She loves rap and i let her listen to whatever she wants, but she doesnt like the nword either and says it embarrassing. 

For the publicity no doubt.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

Hi! said:

Actually listen to the white girl speak.  It sounds very forced.

Listen to Kendrick explain it.  It sounds rehearsed.
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Dude won a Pulitzer and is biggest rapper on the planet, thats the kind of publicity he wants?
    I do kinda hear what people are saying about how it seems forced or reherrsed.
    Weird.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

edited May 2018
    Hi! said:
    Dude won a Pulitzer and is biggest rapper on the planet, thats the kind of publicity he wants?
    Weird.

I have heard more about this than I have about his Pulitzer.

I still think it was fake.

I stopped listening to hip hop/rap around 1992.  it became so commercialized.

I did like Kendrick Lamar's new album..... however I don't think he is a good live act at all.

needs something like this to get attention.

Post edited by lolobugg on

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

lolobugg said:
    Hi! said:
    Weird.

I did like Kendrick Lamar's new album..... however I don't think he is a good live act at all.

I haven't heard a good live rap act yet.  Beastie boys and Jay Z came the closest...
    lolobugg said:
    Hi! said:
    Weird.

I haven't heard a good live rap act yet.  Beastie boys and Jay Z came the closest...

I always wanted to see Public Enemy live. I wish I would've seen them in 89/90.

I liked Cypress Hill at Lolla in 1995.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited May 2018
    Hi! said:

Because he's a hip hip artist, of course, and rappers are evil.

At least, that's the impression I get from the media's coverage and willfully ignorant posting going on here.

He did not "call her out"; he did not "boot her off stage"; he was not "outraged."

And he most certainly did not "set her up."

Anyone who has ever read or watched any interviews with Kendrick Lamar or even watched the OP's video should be able to see that he tried his best to defuse a situation. Letting her go on with it would have been much worse. He stopped her and then gave her a shot at redemption.

He's been doing this for much of his tour, basically having rap battles (usually a battle of the sexes) during "m.A.A.d. City" (sometimes other songs), and this is the first issue about which I can recall reading. A couple of white audience members at previous shows and festivals included the word, but the crowd didn't turn on them as much as the Hangout Festival crowd did. So Kendrick had no reason to correct them before things got uglier. This required some more situational awareness from Kendrick Lamar.

Also, Delaney wasn't the only audience member to perform at Hangout. Similar to the rest of his shows, this was a rap battle (of the sexes). At the end of the OP's video, you can hear him say something like, "Let's give it up for Rohan." Rohan was invited to rap before Delaney, and he was was apparently more educated than Delaney and knew better than to use the word. Also, Rohan fucking slayed it.

https://youtu.be/OMLiyYFNkAs
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    lolobugg said:
    Hi! said:
    Weird.

I saw Tribe Called Quest and Beastie Boys in '98.  it was a good concert but I never had any interest to go to any other rap concerts then and especially now.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    dankind said:
    Hi! said:

Because he's a hip hip artist, of course, and rappers are evil.

At least, that's the impression I get from the media's coverage and willfully ignorant posting going on here.

He did not "call her out"; he did not "boot her off stage"; he was not "outraged."

And he most certainly did not "set her up."

Anyone who has ever read or watched any interviews with Kendrick Lamar or even watched the OP's video should be able to see that he tried his best to defuse a situation. Letting her go on with it would have been much worse. He stopped her and then gave her a shot at redemption.

He's been doing this for much of his tour, basically having rap battles (usually a battle of the sexes) during "m.A.A.d. City" (sometimes other songs), and this is the first issue about which I can recall reading. A couple of white audience members at previous shows and festivals included the word, but the crowd didn't turn on them as much as the Hangout Festival crowd did. So Kendrick had no reason to correct them before things got uglier. This required some more situational awareness from Kendrick Lamar.

Also, Delaney wasn't the only audience member to perform at Hangout. Similar to the rest of his shows, this was a rap battle (of the sexes). At the end of the OP's video, you can hear him say something like, "Let's give it up for Rohan." Rohan was invited to rap before Delaney, and he was was apparently more educated than Delaney and knew better than to use the word. Also, Rohan fucking slayed it.

https://youtu.be/OMLiyYFNkAs
    what is your take on fans singing the song as he wrote it?  if he writes the song with that lyric how can he possibly not expect fans to sing it as he wrote it?  if you write lyrics like expect your fans of all races so sing it as you wrote it. it's not complicated.
  • timdwillitimdwilli Los Angeles, CA Posts: 294
    lolobugg said:
    that shit is faker than the Foo Fighters BS
    This whole trend of bringing audience members up on stage is terrible. Such a waste of time that cuts a song or two out of the set. Even Ed did it last year in Dublin...brought some dude up who you at least thought was a long time 10c member or someone he had a connection to, but the guy had to read the lyrics to Black off of his phone while he sat there at butchered it. Enough with this already...people paid to see YOU perform, not less talented people from the crowd. Rant over!
    edited May 2018
    timdwilli said:
    lolobugg said:
    This whole trend of bringing audience members up on stage is terrible. Such a waste of time that cuts a song or two out of the set. Even Ed did it last year in Dublin...brought some dude up who you at least thought was a long time 10c member or someone he had a connection to, but the guy had to read the lyrics to Black off of his phone while he sat there at butchered it. Enough with this already...people paid to see YOU perform, not less talented people from the crowd. Rant over!
    I totally agree with the bolded part. Why are so many artists doing that now? I don't find it entertaining at all, or I don't 98% of the time, anyway. Plus, I think that it is stage in one way or another the majority of the time. I don't think that in this particular case, but who knows.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    lolobugg said:
    Hi! said:
    Weird.

Wu Tang in their prime opening for Rage was insane, they killed it
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    PJ_Soul said:
    timdwilli said:
    lolobugg said:
    I totally agree with the bolded part. Why are so many artists doing that now? I don't find it entertaining at all, or I don't 98% of the time, anyway. Plus, I think that it is stage in one way or another the majority of the time. I don't think that in this particular case, but who knows.
    That kid, Noah maybe, that played Sad with PJ in 2016 was fucking awesome

my2hands said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    timdwilli said:
    lolobugg said:

Well I did leave 2% out there for when it is actually awesome. ;) ... Although that particular moment is a bit of a "meh" for me personally. Sure, I'm not so cold I can't appreciate what it meant for the kid, but that's about as far as my appreciation goes for something like that.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    my2hands said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    timdwilli said:
    lolobugg said:

I didn't get to see that live, but I met his mom randomly in a grocery store parking lot up in Maine. The kids and I were rocking out in the car to some PJ while mom was inside getting some supplies, and she heard the music and stopped by to say hi.

In case you haven't seen it, they're doing another EB fundraiser, too: https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign/believeinmiracles

Good kids. Good parents.

More comic relief:
    https://youtu.be/nwnh1N-ioXM
    https://youtu.be/1Z7H8_S2Vzw
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    If the left didn't have double standards they'd have no standards at all.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    unsung said:
    If the left didn't have double standards they'd have no standards at all.
    Do you feel your contributions are beneficial to this discussion? 
    It's a hopeless situation...