Options

Kendrick Lamar stops white fan from rapping N word on stage.

Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
edited May 2018 in A Moving Train
www.google.com/amp/www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/kendrick-lamar-interrupts-white-fan-raps-n-word-article-1.4001807%3foutputType=amp

https://youtu.be/rIbkUbdpBMs

Not really sure what to think about this. Obviously I would never use this word, but not sure what he was expecting. I really dont have much to add beyond the fact that it just seems ridiculous to me all around. 

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

Post edited by Hi! on

Comments

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,192
    Hi! said:
    www.google.com/amp/www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/kendrick-lamar-interrupts-white-fan-raps-n-word-article-1.4001807%3foutputType=amp

https://youtu.be/rIbkUbdpBMs

Not really sure what to think about this. Obviously I would never use this word, but not sure what he was expecting. I really dont have much to add beyond the fact that it just seems ridiculous to me all around. 
    i find it utterly ridiculous to use that word in your so-called art then complain when a fan uses the word in the context of your song.  We've seen this before with mostly white folks being called out for singing and/or tweeting lines from these songs. if you don't think your fans should be using the word then don't put it in a song. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,687
    White people should not use the "N" word... pretty much ever except maybe George Carlin who might have found a way around it and gotten away with it... maybe.  That said, I'm not black so I have no right to say, but if I were black, I'm pretty sure I would not use that word.  I sort of get that black people want to take it back and make it theirs but to my way of thinking, that's old and tired now.  But what do I, a white guy, know about it?  Not much.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    I agree. I dont know exactly, but i would estimate the crowd is 80%+ white. I guarentee when his white fans are alone by themselves or with other whites singing in their cars they aint skipping the n-word. They all acted so offended, but its ok to say cunt bitch and fuck every other word.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,687
    Hi! said:
    I agree. I dont know exactly, but i would estimate the crowd is 80%+ white. I guarentee when his white fans are alone by themselves or with other whites singing in their cars they aint skipping the n-word. They all acted so offended, but its ok to say cunt bitch and fuck every other word.
    I only sing the "f" word when singling along with "Save You".  I mean, how can you not, haha!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    or my favorite, harmless little fuck!!!!, look at me getting all Tipper Gore tonight, lol.

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    She was saying the N word ending in _____ger instead of ____ga.
    In all seriousness...
    Wtf did Kendrick expect?
    This is stupid. And people in the crowd yelling "f*** you bitch" is stupid.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    It's rap music ...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    This is literally one of the most pointless things I’ve read today...It’s like people are foaming at the mouth for a reason to pull out the pitchfork.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Bitch move by Kendrick calling a white person up to sing along. I don't know that dude or his music, definitely not my thing, but I agree with Thoughts. Not sure what he expected. And fuck those white people in the crowd yelling "fuck you" to her. You know they were all singing along as well until Kendrick said something. It was a total setup. Does he punk white people at all of his shows? I wonder who buys his albums?
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    i'd like to see the N word disappear entirely. It's just an awful word...nothing good about it.

Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,521
    edited May 2018
    What a dick move on Lamar's part. Wtf?
    I agree that nobody should be using the word at all - I can't actually believe that black people still use it regularly. I don't understand why they do it. It seems so counterproductive or whatever. This creepy little stunt by Kendrick Lamar just highlights that.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I don't think it was a stunt, and I don't think he was trying to punk anybody. He actually went out of his way to try to help her recover from the gaffe. He's stated himself in interviews that he would like to stop using the word himself, but he's been saying it his whole life and leaving it out of his lyrics is hard because it feels forced -- like he's not speaking his own truth (paraphrasing). 

If anything, I think maybe seeing how using the word in his lyrics makes white girls feel like it's OK for them to say it might be an eye opener for him. Maybe he'll revisit his own truth.

And now for some comic relief:
    https://youtu.be/ofu70pSG-1A
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Thanks, Dan. As I said, I don't know him or his "music" or his history. I just found it odd that he would invite a white woman up on stage to sing along with a song of his that drops multiple N-words within a 10 second span. If it wasn't intentional, then it was ill-advised and a bit dense.  I agree with Kat that the word just needs to disappear. It has almost always been a divisive word used to foment discord. Hopefully you're right and it is an eye-opener for him.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,286
    It's absurd the word is totally vile and the Rappers are the one's to have to look in mirror , i don't listen to rap at all so what do i know ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I didn't mean "stunt" as in pre-planning it with a motive. I just meant it as "that stupid fucking thing he did to a fan on stage".

BTW, this is one of those stories where the reaction relies on the players. Say Kanye West had done this instead of Kendrick Lamar... Ooooohhhhh, it would have been a shit storm.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,087
    Just goes to show you that there is a large group of musicians out there (mostly rappers) that want the $ from everyone but really don't want the fans that come with it.

Using the N-word is awful for anyone.  But to invite a white kid on stage to sing a song that you know has the N-word in it....it's a setup for you to make a point and become a bully.  Just stupid.  Do as I say not as I do....bullshit.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Just goes to show you that there is a large group of musicians out there (mostly rappers) that want the $ from everyone but really don't want the fans that come with it.

Using the N-word is awful for anyone.  But to invite a white kid on stage to sing a song that you know has the N-word in it....it's a setup for you to make a point and become a bully.  Just stupid.  Do as I say not as I do....bullshit.
    Or maybe he was honestly expecting her to know better than to say that word. Again, I think it was likely a teaching moment for her and, more importantly, for him. When you get so much attention for your dedication to your craft and ultimately wind up winning a much deserved Pulitzer for a work of art that has that word in it, it's a double-edged sword because it has a way of normalizing it.

Next thing you know, you've got a bunch of little white kids running around with a mouth like Huck Finn's.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Maybe he should just ban white people from his concerts, to guarantee that none of us are singing those parts of his songs.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,189
    that shit is faker than the Foo Fighters BS

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Maybe he should just ban white people from his concerts, to guarantee that none of us are singing those parts of his songs.
    Why? What good would that do anyone?

It’s awesome that white people are listening to his music and likely exposing their sensibilities to a new culture. Perhaps it will lead to more understanding. This was a hiccup.

And most people who aren’t black know better. If I’m singing alone at home in my pajamas or driving around town, I’m not saying that word. It’s not for me to say. I imagine that other nonblack people are the same, but maybe I’m wrong.

This was a young, ignorant and likely somehow intoxicated girl. She said she sings it that way to herself. Well, she shouldn’t. Maybe she knows that now. Or maybe she needs a history lesson. Or a sociolinguistics lesson. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:

It’s awesome that white people are listening to his music and likely exposing their sensibilities to a new culture. Perhaps it will lead to more understanding. This was a hiccup.

And most people who aren’t black know better. If I’m singing alone at home in my pajamas or driving around town, I’m not saying that word. It’s not for me to say. I imagine that other nonblack people are the same, but maybe I’m wrong.

This was a young, ignorant and likely somehow intoxicated girl. She said she sings it that way to herself. Well, she shouldn’t. Maybe she knows that now. Or maybe she needs a history lesson. Or a sociolinguistics lesson. 
    I was being sarcastic.

I think it's ludicrous to expect her or anyone to censor themselves from saying the actual lyrics of the song that she was brought up onto stage to sing. I don't find that to be a realistic or reasonable expectation at all. I think the same thing when you say she shouldn't sing the lyrics even to herself while she's singing along to the song. That ridiculous IMO. Under that premise, Leonardo DiCaprio should have censored himself while acting out the script on the set of Django Unchained and Ed Norton should have refused to say the N-word in American History X. So what if the word was part of the script, right? They should have known better than to actually say it out loud.
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,234
    lolobugg said:
    100%
  • Options
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Ok i guess i can see what your saying so you don't say the word even though it's in the lyrics may be the CD's or how ever his music gets distributed should come with a note : Please refrain from singing this lyric sorry but i find he's stance a bit hipocritical and if anything i bet this turned off most of that audience ...
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Ok i guess i can see what your saying so you don't say the word even though it's in the lyrics may be the CD's or how ever his music gets distributed should come with a note : Please refrain from singing this lyric sorry but i find he's stance a bit hipocritical and if anything i bet this turned off most of that audience ...
    :lol: Absolutely. Don't use the word in the first place. Problem solved without placing absolutely cuckoo-bananas and hypocritical expectations placed on the consumers. And you know, the context of the lyrics don't change with the colour of the singer's skin. That girl was white, but she was still singing his words in his context on his stage. Honestly, I'm shocking some are treating his perspective as legitimately as they are. This is crazy.
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    I think it was intended, way back when, that using the word would remove any power from it, that the word would no longer be owned by racists. I don't think that plan is working...let's just get rid of it. It's a hideous word and not necessary in any culture.

Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I was being sarcastic.

I think it's ludicrous to expect her or anyone to censor themselves from saying the actual lyrics of the song that she was brought up onto stage to sing. I don't find that to be a realistic or reasonable expectation at all. I think the same thing when you say she shouldn't sing the lyrics even to herself while she's singing along to the song. That ridiculous IMO. Under that premise, Leonardo DiCaprio should have censored himself while acting out the script on the set of Django Unchained and Ed Norton should have refused to say the N-word in American History X. So what if the word was part of the script, right? They should have known better than to actually say it out loud.
    Speaking as a former actor (and playwright), this is not at all the same thing to me. She wasn’t playing a role. She was completely herself, saying someone else’s lines. 

This place is crazy. A white girl mistakenly says the N word on stage at a black man’s concert who very politely points out that she shouldn’t use that word, and he’s the bad guy!?!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I was being sarcastic.

Speaking as a former actor (and playwright), this is not at all the same thing to me. She wasn’t playing a role. She was completely herself, saying someone else’s lines. 

This place is crazy. A white girl mistakenly says the N word on stage at a black man’s concert who very politely points out that she shouldn’t use that word, and he’s the bad guy!?!
    I disagree (also as a former actor). She was totally playing a role, as any person would be if they were brought up on stage like that to sing along with a famous person in front of a sold out show. Her role was to sing that song confidently, looking like she really knows the lyrics, without coming off like an idiot, hopefully.... Lamar obviously ruined that goal for her in short order, lol.

I sincerely have no clue why you think this place is crazy because of this. What exactly is so shocking? He humiliated that girl and dragged her into a media storm with his hypocrisy and insane expectations about how she shouldn't sing his lyrics when he's invited her to sing his lyrics. How is he not the bad guy in this scenario?
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    lolobugg said:

what are we talking about here?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I was being sarcastic.

I disagree (also as a former actor). She was totally playing a role, as any person would be if they were brought up on stage like that to sing along with a famous person in front of a sold out show. Her role was to sing that song confidently, looking like she really knows the lyrics, without coming off like an idiot, hopefully.... Lamar obviously ruined that goal for her in short order, lol.
    that's exactly how i perceive this whole episode ....