2023-2024 NHL Regular Season

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    MayDay10 said:
    fife said:
    fife said:
    Ovi yesterday was a beast.  I am really hoping that they win game 7.  just can't have 2 teams in the finals who don't have snow.  Just doesn't seem right to me
    no, but it's bettman's wet dream. 
    I think he loves vegas there but i don't know about Tampa.  the last time they played in the finals the rating were low if I remember.
    I just think he's still hoping to be vindicated for the disaster that has been hockey in the southern US. 
    He has already been vindicated for that, and it hasn't been a disaster.

I think he would prefer Washington, for the market size.  Vegas and washington would be pretty ideal for the nhl as it has the Ovechkin storyline that can attract additional interest.  
    The storyline of a Putin sympathizer and supporter playing for a team based in DC?  Yeah I guess irony is interesting...  
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    MayDay10 said:
    fife said:
    fife said:
    Ovi yesterday was a beast.  I am really hoping that they win game 7.  just can't have 2 teams in the finals who don't have snow.  Just doesn't seem right to me
    I think he loves vegas there but i don't know about Tampa.  the last time they played in the finals the rating were low if I remember.
    I just think he's still hoping to be vindicated for the disaster that has been hockey in the southern US. 

I think he would prefer Washington, for the market size.  Vegas and washington would be pretty ideal for the nhl as it has the Ovechkin storyline that can attract additional interest.  
    he has? there have been wins and losses, but I don't know about vindication.   
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    MayDay10 said:
    fife said:
    fife said:

Thin reed, but I've been to midseason Lightning games during mediocre seasons against nondivision rivals, and they have been as well attended as a lot of the Rangers games I went to during my five years as a Rangers season ticket holder. Of course, going to a game in Tampa is also a lot less expensive than going to a game at MSG. Hell, I remember during the 2004 cup run, if playoff games fell on a Tuesday, they still sold the $2 Tuesday seats for $2. That's how you build a dedicated fan base.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    edited May 2018
    Yes.  When he took over, the NHL was largely a just regional sport.  The Southern expansion grew the footprint throughout the US television market.  Participation in youth and amateur hockey has exploded as a direct result.  We just had a #1 overall pick from Arizona.  There have been issues, but they have occurred whether its Nashville (now look at Nashville), Atlanta, Phoenix, Sunrise, Pittsburgh, Ottawa, or Buffalo.  Yes, Atlanta "didnt work", but they saw the franchise value nearly double when the True North guy bought it, including a relocation fee split 29 ways.  

Of course these Southern markets arent (and likely never will be) Montreal or Toronto, but nobody else really is.... their attendance often does well predicated with marginal success.  With some bad teams, we even have seen Boston and Chicago have low attendance.  Detroit misses the playoffs for 1 year and have had trouble selling out (despite announcing sellouts for some reason), despite a great new venue.  

Overall, league revenues grow every year.  If things weren't good, the board of governors would have kicked Bettman to the curb long ago.  The league was already headed that direction before Bettman, he took over mid-season when Tampa Bay and Ottawa were playing their first games and San Jose already had a season under their belt  

I used to be a big complainer about the Southern teams.  Its over though.  Teams are where they are.  Probably would like the see the Panthers move to Quebec, because nobody would miss them.  

The thing that kills me with the current Bettman and Board of Governors is a complete lack of forsight, and being completely tone-deaf.  Suggesting the offsides challenge is "great", while expanding replays and silly rules... while ignoring trying to figure out ways to actually open up the game and make it exciting.  The current alignment is crap.   The points system is an inequitable joke.  Their US deal with NBC ensures as little exposure as possible for the league I think.... but it was good for Jeremy Jacobs' company.  They really can use new ideas worked in there.  I dont think Bettman has done an awful job (as many hockey fans do).... but its overdue time to move on from him
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    fife said:
    fife said:

The storyline of a Putin sympathizer and supporter playing for a team based in DC?  Yeah I guess irony is interesting...  
    He's Russian.  No big shocker that he supports Putin.  I'm sure Bobrovsky, Panarin and other Russian born players support Putin as well.

Now can we please leave politics out of this thread?  Thanks!
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
    edited May 2018
    dankind said:
    MayDay10 said:
    fife said:
    fife said:

Thin reed, but I've been to midseason Lightning games during mediocre seasons against nondivision rivals, and they have been as well attended as a lot of the Rangers games I went to during my five years as a Rangers season ticket holder. Of course, going to a game in Tampa is also a lot less expensive than going to a game at MSG. Hell, I remember during the 2004 cup run, if playoff games fell on a Tuesday, they still sold the $2 Tuesday seats for $2. That's how you build a dedicated fan base.
    a guy I work with went to a Jets Panthers game and he said for $25, he got:

front row seat
    voucher for 1 or 2 beers
    popcorn or hot dog or something

and the place was still half empty.  =)
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

dankind said:
    MayDay10 said:
    fife said:
    fife said:

front row seat
    voucher for 1 or 2 beers

The Rats suck! And they have a shitty fan base. That building is way too big for that shitty team, too. It was built with zero foresight.

There is some decent youth hockey and high school hockey in the area, though, but I think even most of those kids root for the Bolts.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    edited May 2018
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    MayDay10 said:
    fife said:
    fife said:

front row seat
    voucher for 1 or 2 beers

The Rats suck! And they have a shitty fan base. That building is way too big for that shitty team, too. It was built with zero foresight.

There is some decent youth hockey and high school hockey in the area, though, but I think even most of those kids root for the Bolts.
    I said Panthers. No idea why. I meant Lightning. I think it was the Lightning. anyway, the point is moo. 

like a cow's opinion. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

dankind said:
    dankind said:
    MayDay10 said:
    fife said:
    fife said:

front row seat
    voucher for 1 or 2 beers

I said Panthers. No idea why. I meant Lightning. I think it was the Lightning. anyway, the point is moo. 

like a cow's opinion. 
    It was because they were playing the Jets.

:naughty:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    KC138045 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    fife said:
    fife said:

He's Russian.  No big shocker that he supports Putin.  I'm sure Bobrovsky, Panarin and other Russian born players support Putin as well.

negative... supporting Putin is not about supporting politics.  He's a moral pariah on this Earth. Sorry if it bothers you, but I'll bring it up every time Ovechkin is brought up.  He's a pos.  
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    MayDay10 said:
    fife said:
    fife said:

front row seat
    voucher for 1 or 2 beers

like a cow's opinion. 

"what's a winnipeg?"
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    MayDay10 said:
    fife said:
    fife said:

front row seat
    voucher for 1 or 2 beers

like a cow's opinion. 

"what's a winnipeg?"
    Sounds like a pansy pirate name.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    MayDay10 said:
    fife said:
    fife said:

front row seat
    voucher for 1 or 2 beers

like a cow's opinion. 

"what's a winnipeg?"
    come on. I expected better than that. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    MayDay10 said:
    fife said:
    fife said:

front row seat
    voucher for 1 or 2 beers

like a cow's opinion. 

"what's a winnipeg?"
    come on. I expected better than that. 
    Man, I left the door open for this:

I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    MayDay10 said:
    fife said:
    fife said:

front row seat
    voucher for 1 or 2 beers

like a cow's opinion. 
    Back in the 90's, during the Puppa days, you could sit on the glass for $10 during the week.  Attendance was weak.  They played at the Expo center on I-4 and it was a total dump.  They moved to the dome around the time they first made the playoffs and sold that sucker out for a playoff game.  Before the outside game stuff, I think it held the record for NHL attendance for a while.  The team has done a good job of building its fan base, but the reality is that they've been competitive since the Hamrlik days and became good once they landed the Big 3.  And they haven't fallen off since.  
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    MayDay10 said:
    fife said:
    fife said:

front row seat
    voucher for 1 or 2 beers

like a cow's opinion. 
    Back in the 90's, during the Puppa days, you could sit on the glass for $10 during the week.  Attendance was weak.  They played at the Expo center on I-4 and it was a total dump.  They moved to the dome around the time they first made the playoffs and sold that sucker out for a playoff game.  Before the outside game stuff, I think it held the record for NHL attendance for a while.  The team has done a good job of building its fan base, but the reality is that they've been competitive since the Hamrlik days and became good once they landed the Big 3.  And they haven't fallen off since.  
    I used to go to those games at the Florida State Fairgrounds dump and hit up Ybor on the drive back home. I even went to one of the preseason games with Manon Rhéaume in net. Saw a killer NIN show there, too.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    mrussel1 said:
    KC138045 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    fife said:
    fife said:

negative... supporting Putin is not about supporting politics.  He's a moral pariah on this Earth. Sorry if it bothers you, but I'll bring it up every time Ovechkin is brought up.  He's a pos.  

If I took into account every athlete's political views and true personalities, I would most likely hate all of them.  I just try to enjoy sports without thinking about politics...especially these days.  It's nice to have sports as an escape.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    I just meant the general viewing public.  Ovechkin is a household name, an aging NHL legend who might have his only crack at a Stanley Cup.  There are also people, like above who strongly dislike him.  Tampa Bay really doesnt have any juice like that.  
    MayDay10 said:
    I just meant the general viewing public.  Ovechkin is a household name, an aging NHL legend who might have his only crack at a Stanley Cup.  There are also people, like above who strongly dislike him.  Tampa Bay really doesnt have any juice like that.  
    Fair enough.
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    MayDay10 said:
    fife said:
    fife said:

front row seat
    voucher for 1 or 2 beers

like a cow's opinion. 
    I used to go to those games at the Florida State Fairgrounds dump and hit up Ybor on the drive back home. I even went to one of the preseason games with Manon Rhéaume in net. Saw a killer NIN show there, too.
    Nice.. me too, although I was going the other way into North Tampa.  Are you from Cleveland too?  I saw you posting pro-Cavs stuff.  I was 18 years in Cleveland (Strongsville), 10 in Tampa and now 15 in Virginia (including DC, but never liked one DC team).  I like all the Tampa teams.  
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    MayDay10 said:
    fife said:
    fife said:

front row seat
    voucher for 1 or 2 beers

like a cow's opinion. 
    Nice.. me too, although I was going the other way into North Tampa.  Are you from Cleveland too?  I saw you posting pro-Cavs stuff.  I was 18 years in Cleveland (Strongsville), 10 in Tampa and now 15 in Virginia (including DC, but never liked one DC team).  I like all the Tampa teams.  
    No. I have only been to Cleveland once -- and thoroughly enjoyed it. I grew up a Lakers fan in the 1980s and hate the Celtics with just about every fiber of my being. (Although I haven't dug very much about the Lakers over the past 15 years or so either.) The Patriots and Bruins (except for Patrice Bergeron) can go drink diarrhea, too. I hate just about everything to do with Boston, and unfortunately, I live in this land of Massholes. I am a Red Sox fan, though, so I've got that going for me ... which is nice....

I grew up in Sarasota. First PJ show was Jannus Landing in 1992.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    fife said:
    fife said:
    Other than Atlanta, how's it been a disaster?  Dallas, Tampa and Carolina have all won cups and 2 California teams have won the cup since a Canadian team last won the cup...and I'm sure I'm leaving another non-traditional hockey markets off the list.  The disaster is the pathetic ownership/management/coaching of the Canadian franchises...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Ovechkin Ovechkin! Ovechkin!...he was a beast last night.  What a fantastic hockey player and a really great captain.  Really set the tone in the game.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    MayDay10 said:
    fife said:
    fife said:

front row seat
    voucher for 1 or 2 beers

like a cow's opinion. 
    No. I have only been to Cleveland once -- and thoroughly enjoyed it. I grew up a Lakers fan in the 1980s and hate the Celtics with just about every fiber of my being. (Although I haven't dug very much about the Lakers over the past 15 years or so either.) The Patriots and Bruins (except for Patrice Bergeron) can go drink diarrhea, too. I hate just about everything to do with Boston, and unfortunately, I live in this land of Massholes. I am a Red Sox fan, though, so I've got that going for me ... which is nice....

Nice, that's a good one.  I still don't know how I missed the Janus show.  Probably just harder to get info back then.  Mine was Lolla in Orlando (day before Hurricane Andrew) and then Bayfront Center in 94.  That was a life changing event.  
    Ovechkin Ovechkin! Ovechkin!...he was a beast last night.  What a fantastic hockey player and a really great captain.  Really set the tone in the game.
    What's Ovi's record in game 7's?  Not too good, I would guess. Mark of a great captain I'm sure.  The other mark of a great captain is supporting a murderous regime.  I remember when Yzerman started a social movement for Assad.. or maybe that was Messier that did it.  Can't quite remember.  Handsome fellow either way...

"Today, I want to announce a social movement in the name of PutinTeam,"

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    dankind said:

dankind said:

:how_interesting:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,851
    It would be great for him and Hockey if he goes to the Stanley Cup.  He finally beat the monkey of Pittsburgh so let's hope he wins tonight.
    It would be great for him and Hockey if he goes to the Stanley Cup.  He finally beat the monkey of Pittsburgh so let's hope he wins tonight.
    I agree ... absolutely one of the greatest player ever.  Only Crosby was better in the Ovechkin/Crosby era ... in my book.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,851
    I agree ... absolutely one of the greatest player ever.  Only Crosby was better in the Ovechkin/Crosby era ... in my book.
    Malkin is no slouch.  He gets overshadowed by Crosby.
    He's a sympathizer with a murderous regime.  He's a piece of shit that we should deport on principle alone.