Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    whats pathetic is that this thread was started in 2014 4yrs later and how many dead just from mass shootings to many to count , and nothing has been done zero nada zilch ! like ive stated nothing will get done the NRA owns this country ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    tbergs said:
    Not even sure where to start, but here goes anyway. I don't think our solution or even a factor in gun related violence is due to children being taught to hunt or shoot when they are under 18. It should be required that parents who are active gun owners teach them about safety and the dangers of a gun. If the family owns guns, the kids should at least be educated on the dangers, why you own them and what they are meant for. That doesn't mean just let them start shooting anything you own or leave them unsecured. All guns should always be secured and kids should not be allowed to shoot them without parental supervision. Unfortunately, there are lots of bad parents who won't abide by this which correlates to higher risks than most other poor parenting situations.

My life experience allowed me to start shooting a BB gun at the age of 7. I was trained and lectured on proper usage for days before I got to even handle the BB gun by myself. It was the only gun I was allowed until I turned 12 and got an air rifle (pump bb gun and pellet gun combo). Another lesson ensued. Did I do a lot of dumb things, yes, but I also did a lot of dumb things when I started driving. In neither situation did I ever purposely do something to harm someone else, but I was way more likely to hurt others by my piss poor driving decisions than handling an air gun or even a .22 rifle once I turned 16. I still only got to shoot my dad's .270 when it was time for deer hunting. That gun scared the shit out of me at that age and I knew how dangerous it could be if used improperly. I don't think I can say the same for my attitude towards vehicle safety and driving a 2 ton hunk of metal that could go 100mph and oblitrate anything in it's path as well.

I guess my point is that while those who have never handled a gun may not understand why any "kid" should be allowed to handle a gun, that doesn't mean it is a cause to our current problems. It seems a lot of the cause comes from negligent parents who either allow unrestricted access or enable poor behavior and usage (in the case of kids under 18, anyway). There are also parents of kids who are out of high school allowing access to their guns without knowledge of their intentions or mental state, which has contributed to a few of the recent incidents. I can't possibly imagine what the parents of these active shooters thought they knew about their kids before these incidents happened. It's easy to call them negligent dopes now because it's so clear to us, but I would bet that if I had become an active shooter at that age, you could have pointed to several personal instances where I was emotionally unstable, angry or disturbed about social status and had access to a gun, yet I never had that thought to harm others. I played violent video games, watched horror movies and did whatever other reason you could consider a factor. I can't say that I never thought about harming myself and with access to guns, I was probably a higher percentage risk, but I didn't do it.

There is a cognitive breakdown somewhere in the spectrum of when these instances occur for these people. Obviously whether they have access to firearms and what type of social emotional support, or lack there of, they have seem like the 2 biggest factors to me on if they can carry out their plan. Right now, it's easy to see that the firearms are the one thing we could readily control in these situations because without them the number of victims wouldn't be 10, 20, 50 and so on. I do believe that there is no purpose for an AR-15 style gun being available to the public unless you go through an extensive background check, apply for a permit and have grounds for it's use. Obviously bump stocks need to go and as many provisions as possible need to be in place on gun owners to secure their firearms. Written laws and policies won't stop mass shootings any more than they stop rape, murder and robbery, but they can be a proactive deterrent to lower the numbers if we can start enforcing stricter regulations around gun ownership. In time, the gun culture could evolve, but not without the support from the NRA (fat chance unfortunately).

I no longer own guns or shoot guns, but I have been around them enough in my life to understand we can make simple changes to help protect our future generations and bring these numbers down.

I don't disagree with much of what you've said, but I do think that allowing small children to handle and use guns perpetuates a lot of the more dangerous parts of a very pro-gun culture, including making guns seems like just another part of the day, something even a child can handle safely, instead of how they should be viewed - lethal weapons that should be treated as such and which should only be present when about to be used, with due caution.

I grew up in northern BC, where hunting is not a theoretical or distant concept, and I stand by my views on guns. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,201
    mcgruff10 said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJPOWER said:
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    pjhawks said:

If you aren't teaching about all those things you mentioned at an early age then you aren't parenting or teaching...

I used to sit on my fathers lap as a kid and steer the car, got to drive a go cart and golf cart at an early age too.  Was taught about drinking, drugs and sex at a young age.
    Teaching about alcohol doesn’t equate to giving kids alcohol. Teaching about driving safely doesn’t equate to letting kids drive. Why should shooting a gun be different? 
    Because the children hunting is not a damn issue.  They are not the ones shooting up schools.  The ones that are seems to be ones with too much time on their hands and parents that do not spend quality time with them doing things like hunting.  Hunting is no more of a causal factor than video games.  Would you rather a child that has been hunting since they were 10 purchasing a rifle at 18 or the kid whose only experience with guns is through Call of Duty purchasing one at 18?

i would prefer the dad didn't have guns in the house for the son to take to shoot up his school.  
    I have zero clue as to why some parents don't lock their guns up with a gun lock or in a safe.  It really isn't hard.
    didn't the Newtown kid get his guns from a locked cabinet?  that seems to be my memory but with so many happening maybe i'm not remembering correctly.

Seems most of the people here who don't have a problem with kids shooting were they themselves taught at those same ages.  so it's ingrained by generations.  i guess i can understand that and it's just a different mind set than what I was brought up on.  Honestly guns were never topic in my household as a child because my father was never into them and we lived in a safe suburban neighborhood where guns weren't needed. 

while I think you are all crazy for allowing/wanting a child that age to learn to shoot I guess I can see your perspective a bit better now.  I like that we had a back and forth without it getting personal as well.   
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,886
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJPOWER said:
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    pjhawks said:

If you aren't teaching about all those things you mentioned at an early age then you aren't parenting or teaching...

I used to sit on my fathers lap as a kid and steer the car, got to drive a go cart and golf cart at an early age too.  Was taught about drinking, drugs and sex at a young age.
    Teaching about alcohol doesn’t equate to giving kids alcohol. Teaching about driving safely doesn’t equate to letting kids drive. Why should shooting a gun be different? 
    Because the children hunting is not a damn issue.  They are not the ones shooting up schools.  The ones that are seems to be ones with too much time on their hands and parents that do not spend quality time with them doing things like hunting.  Hunting is no more of a causal factor than video games.  Would you rather a child that has been hunting since they were 10 purchasing a rifle at 18 or the kid whose only experience with guns is through Call of Duty purchasing one at 18?

i would prefer the dad didn't have guns in the house for the son to take to shoot up his school.  
    I have zero clue as to why some parents don't lock their guns up with a gun lock or in a safe.  It really isn't hard.
    didn't the Newtown kid get his guns from a locked cabinet?  that seems to be my memory but with so many happening maybe i'm not remembering correctly.

Seems most of the people here who don't have a problem with kids shooting were they themselves taught at those same ages.  so it's ingrained by generations.  i guess i can understand that and it's just a different mind set than what I was brought up on.  Honestly guns were never topic in my household as a child because my father was never into them and we lived in a safe suburban neighborhood where guns weren't needed. 

while I think you are all crazy for allowing/wanting a child that age to learn to shoot I guess I can see your perspective a bit better now.  I like that we had a back and forth without it getting personal as well.   
    YEah that was definitely some good conversation without people using trumptard or snowflake lol. Adam Lanza murdered his mother and then stole the ar-15 out of a safe.  I m not sure whether or not the .22 he used to murder his mom was locked up or not. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mcgruff10 said:
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJPOWER said:
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    pjhawks said:

YEah that was definitely some good conversation without people using trumptard or snowflake lol. Adam Lanza murdered his mother and then stole the ar-15 out of a safe.  I m not sure whether or not the .22 he used to murder his mom was locked up or not. 
    I have to side with the gunners on the fact that there's nothing you can do to stop this kind of malevolence.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Did I see someone compare weed & guns? Wtf lol
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    whats pathetic is that this thread was started in 2014 4yrs later and how many dead just from mass shootings to many to count , and nothing has been done zero nada zilch ! like ive stated nothing will get done the NRA owns this country ..
    I'm with Jose
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    I think I finally understand - it’s hopeless to change minds. That said, I think I have a simple and effective solution. Those opposed to abortions are often overlapping with those in favour of gun rights, so why don’t we kill two birds (or lives) with one stone (or gun)?

I think working harder on adding more Daycare Centers to high schools will help pregnant teens with the child-raising challenges they weren’t prepared for, and because they’re located in the high schools, when they reach prime execution age, they’re already at the Slaughter Centers. The involuntary parents didn’t want their children to have hard lives anyways (and at least these ones will be short lives).

But those poor janitors.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,546
    i_lov_it said:
    Don't Humans Kill Humans and Not Guns?
    You're  absolutely right. Guns don't  kill people.
    Gun owners  kill people 
    Or the children of gun owners kill people
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    paranoia: a mental condition characterized by delusions of persecution, unwarranted jealousy, or exaggerated self-importance, typically elaborated into an organized system. It may be an aspect of chronic personality disorder, of drug abuse, or of a serious condition such as schizophrenia in which the person loses touch with reality.

• Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    As an avid mountain biker... I can tell you that no biker goes riding with a gun.

There's still no reason to- that was the first lethal cougar attack in over 90 years. Further... there was something wrong with the animal. It was grotesquely underweight and desperate for food.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    If you are on a bike and a predatory animal attacks you, do you think you’ll have time to get your weapon???
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    edited May 2018

Some good pepper spray can do the job too.

Joggers and bikers trigger cougars into their predatory mode.

these could make you poop your pants.

Bear

mountain lion

Stopped 2 Cougars with pepper spray

Post edited by Smellyman on
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    good point....look at my initial post.  Same thing applies today
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options

"Hardened target" with two armed police officers in the school, and still the shooting occurred.

So, we're moving on to arming teachers, then. 
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    dankind said:
    There aren't many things that can move me to tears out of sheer disappointment... but the first time I saw that clip, it was one of those moments.  Our children are growing up expecting to get shot in school.
    I don't know how anyone can watch that and not admit we have a problem in this country.  And with the advent of the modern internet, the whole world is sitting there watching us do NOTHING to protect our kids, our citizens.
  • Options
    dankind said:
    There aren't many things that can move me to tears out of sheer disappointment... but the first time I saw that clip, it was one of those moments.  Our children are growing up expecting to get shot in school.
    I don't know how anyone can watch that and not admit we have a problem in this country.  And with the advent of the modern internet, the whole world is sitting there watching us do NOTHING to protect our kids, our citizens.

Here's more truth that's tough to digest: we are, Dyer... we are watching you do nothing to protect your kids. It's a gross case of negligence. 

We've been watching you guys do nothing for many years now. It really speaks to the soul of America: all the flags at half mast and all the thoughts and prayers are hollow and meaningless.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    I have to agree with him.  if there's one thing that can stop the disaffected youth, it's forcing a woman to have a child that she doesn't want.  I'm sure that child would be well adjusted.  Makes perfect fucking sense.  
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    dankind said:

Here's more truth that's tough to digest: we are, Dyer... we are watching you do nothing to protect your kids. It's a gross case of negligence. 

We've been watching you guys do nothing for many years now. It really speaks to the soul of America: all the flags at half mast and all the thoughts and prayers are hollow and meaningless.
    We have collectively decided that guns are like cars.  We value them to an extent that we accept that some people will be killed.  In both cases, we've chosen inadequate levels of preventing lax behavior that leads to danger.  In both cases, it's a culture that, while some have other ideas, the majority wouldn't give up under any circumstances and, therefore, accepts that some of us are going to parish.  The biggest difference is that  we are desensitized to automobile deaths.  But we are getting there with gun-related deaths.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    OnWis97 said:
    dankind said:

We have collectively decided that guns are like cars.  We value them to an extent that we accept that some people will be killed.  In both cases, we've chosen inadequate levels of preventing lax behavior that leads to danger.  In both cases, it's a culture that, while some have other ideas, the majority wouldn't give up under any circumstances and, therefore, accepts that some of us are going to parish.  The biggest difference is that  we are desensitized to automobile deaths.  But we are getting there with gun-related deaths.
    Another big difference is the value they play in every day lives.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,201
    OnWis97 said:
    dankind said:

except since the 1970s we've had many regulations and changes in safety rules in automobiles. we are constantly evolving with car safety. hell my car now tells me when someone is in the next lane to me.  with guns what have we done to improve safety? we've repealed gun restrictions from 1990s.  can we really compare what we have at least tried to do with automobile safety with gun safety? i don't think so.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    OnWis97 said:
    dankind said:

except we have to license and register cars....and take lessons to get our license...and pass a test to get a license
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    dankind said:

No, actually, things would be a whole lot better if the US decided that guns were like cars, because the rate of deaths from cars has gone down sharply over the decades, while the rate of gun-related deaths has increased. Why? Because a whole lot of attention is paid to making automobiles safer, given that a certain percentage of their drivers will be insufficiently trained or attentive.  Engineers pour over methods to improve automobile safety, roads are redesigned to minimize crash risks, we require training and licensing, and there are stiff penalties if you misuse your automobile, including the risk of being suspended or completely barred from driving. The USA does virtually none of that for guns. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    my2hands said:
    I see the same people making excuses and saying nothing can be done

Pathetic 
    The rest of the world continues to laugh at us. 
    we're not laughing. we're crying with you. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    my2hands said:
    I see the same people making excuses and saying nothing can be done

Pathetic 
    The rest of the world continues to laugh at us. 
    we're not laughing. we're crying with you. 
    To be honest, I am not laughing at America or crying with America.  I am just sad and disappointed with America. 
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited May 2018
    OnWis97 said:
    dankind said:

No, actually, things would be a whole lot better if the US decided that guns were like cars, because the rate of deaths from cars has gone down sharply over the decades, while the rate of gun-related deaths has increased. Why? Because a whole lot of attention is paid to making automobiles safer, given that a certain percentage of their drivers will be insufficiently trained or attentive.  Engineers pour over methods to improve automobile safety, roads are redesigned to minimize crash risks, we require training and licensing, and there are stiff penalties if you misuse your automobile, including the risk of being suspended or completely barred from driving. The USA does virtually none of that for guns. 
    Where are you getting your data from?  I realize this is a couple years old, but over the past few decades the gun death rate has actually decreased and pretty much plateaued.
    http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/10/21/gun-homicides-steady-after-decline-in-90s-suicide-rate-edges-up/
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    OnWis97 said:
    dankind said:

Where are you getting your data from?  I realize this is a couple years old, but over the past few decades the gun death rate has actually decreased and pretty much plateaued.
    http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/10/21/gun-homicides-steady-after-decline-in-90s-suicide-rate-edges-up/

Gun deaths are on the rise again.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/04/us/gun-death-rates.html
This discussion has been closed.