America's Gun Violence

Comments

• i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    edited May 2018
    i_lov_it said:

Every other country has violent video games and violet movies....every other country has the internet. 

Not every other country has our gun laws (or lack of)
    Stay off the ***GREEN***...You're Blanched...

I think that joke has played out
    Obviously you can't take a Hint then ***You're Blanched***
    Post edited by i_lov_it on
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,259
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Desensitized children due to violence glorified on the screen,violent video games meant for adults being played by children, media demonizing authority. They do what they're taught by role models and what's glorified by what they see everyday. 

lol @ violent video games. Dude, many of us in Australia including myself and my friends grew up playing violent video games and watching violent shows and movies.
    None of us turned out to be mass murderers. 
    Interesting, many of us in the USA, including myself grew up hunting/shooting guns.  None of us turned out to be mass murderers either.
    This is just a version of “my grandfather smoked and he still lived to the age of 80”. 

No one is claiming that every gun owner/user is going to become a murderer. People are claiming, with a lot of data to justify it, that the high prevalence of gun users/owners in the USA is really the only difference to account for the high rate of gun violence. It’s that simple. 
    So what’s your plan for making them go away?  I can think of a few other geographical/cultural differences that makes the US a bit different than Australia as well, can you?
    I know it’s a difficult truth to believe, but the facts are clear.

Sure, Australia is different from the US. Canada, too. And England. And Sweden. And Argentina.  But you know what? All of those countries are different from each other, and none of them have the levels of gun violence that the USA does. 

This argument is really just another case of the belief in “American exceptionalism”; that the US is really special and somehow different from the rest of the world. Well, it isn’t; it just has a lot more guns. 

So what is your solution?

Exhibit B
    So asking for your thoughts regarding a solution equals saying nothing can be done in your world?  The only person here i’ve seen saying nothing can be done is jose...sorry to call you out jose.  

It's ok going from past massacres where nothing has been done i'd say i'm batting 300 , just like this massacre nothing can be done you know why ? c'mon the mighty NRA will see to it that nothing gets done zero nada zilch they own all the politicians that have that preciuos a+ rating ...So yeah nothing can be done ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    edited May 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    My position has been that we will eventually get to a point where assault weapons are banned from public ownership, background checks are much stronger and detailed, waiting periods will be federally mandated, and weapons are registered and licensed.  

The piece we have been missing (in my opinion) when these tragedies occur, is for the law enforcement leaders to be more vocal as to what their opinions are.

Here we have feedback from Houston's Chief of Police.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/19/us/texas-shooting-art-acevedo-guns.html

“I know some have strong feelings about gun rights but I want you to know I’ve hit rock bottom and I am not interested in your views as it pertains to this issue,” he wrote. “Please do not post anything about guns aren’t the problem and there’s little we can do.
    Many in law enforcement are VERY pro 2A.  I am going to go out on a limb and say that “most” in law enforcement encourage private gun ownership for personal protection.
    And nothing I mentioned prevents that.

Edit: This is a good example of why nothing gets done....I list reasonable solutions and the opposition immediately suggests that (1) A law enforcement official wanting stronger gun laws is ANTI 2A. (2) The items I listed somehow translate to no private gun ownership
    I think you took what I said out of context.  That police chief stated that they are not interested in hearing about gun rights (that sounds somewhat anti-2A, as “gun rights” are pretty much “2nd Amendment rights”).  I mentioned that many in law enforcement are vocal about gun rights and do not support more restrictions.  You said that they need to be more vocal about???
    What is your source?  I refuse to believe that law enforcement officials support the public having weapons that are stronger than what the officers carry.  That makes absolutely no sense.

Law enforcement knows that more guns in the hands of the public means more law enforcement deaths.  They also know that more guns in the hands of the public means that it makes it much harder for law enforcement to distinguish between good guys and bad guys in certain situations.

You Seriously can't be Serious with this statement ***You're Blanched***???....too much GREEN I Suspect???
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited May 2018
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:
    mace1229 said:
    my2hands said:
    I see the same people making excuses and saying nothing can be done

Pathetic 

Who here has said nothing can be done? I recall most gun owners stating they are for change and more regulations? Who says we just have to live with it?

I’m just wondering. Since most republicans think thoughts and prayers will solve the mass gun violence, why don’t they just use that for immigration and other areas of policy? Why do they enact laws for some issues and just use thoughts and prayers for others? 

I never get why the phrase "thoughts and prayers" is so mocked. Every Democratic politician has offered "thoughts and prayers" after shootings. It would be kind of a dick to not saying your thoughts are with victims, wouldn't it be? No one has ever suggested they solve the gun problem. And there probably have been "thoughts and prayers" that go out towards the victims of immigration, the thousands that are killed or raped every year.
    See above...

Thoughts and prayers are the only thing offered.... it's become a disgusting fucking joke at this point.... it seems the only solutions offered are arming teachers (arm everybody) or that schools have to many doors... the pro gun crowd is a fucking joke. Period.

Parenting. Video games. TV. The internet. Bullying. Mental health. Lack of God. Etc. Etc. Etc. ANYTHING but the fact this country is littered with guns... and its getting worse by the minute with cowardly suburban white guys stockpiling AR and similar weapons.... tactical flashlights... tactical sunglasses... 

The fact you even had to ask those questions tells me everything I need to know
    So flashlights and sunglasses are to blame now?  Lol  
    Nice try,  it's evidence of the paranoid mentality of some in this country and why people are stockpiling weapons. Why the hell does a civilian need a tactical flashlight? Its openly advertised that way. 

Every shooting you come in here and do the same thing, play contrarian and challenge/ridicule people and their ideas that actually want change

Are you part of the problem or the solution? 

I agree, the “tacticool” marketing annoys me, but that’s all it is.  You put the word “tactical” in front of something and it is a hit with the wannabes.  Tactical shorts, shirts, flashlights, etc.  Falls in line with the militaristic culture.  Why is it a thing to be “tacticool”?  So why do you think there is a “paranoid mentality”?  
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
    just look at how convoluded this debate has gotten in here , who here agrees that there are way to many guns in the country ? raise your hand ..
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:
    mace1229 said:
    my2hands said:

Pathetic 

Who here has said nothing can be done? I recall most gun owners stating they are for change and more regulations? Who says we just have to live with it?

I’m just wondering. Since most republicans think thoughts and prayers will solve the mass gun violence, why don’t they just use that for immigration and other areas of policy? Why do they enact laws for some issues and just use thoughts and prayers for others? 

I never get why the phrase "thoughts and prayers" is so mocked. Every Democratic politician has offered "thoughts and prayers" after shootings. It would be kind of a dick to not saying your thoughts are with victims, wouldn't it be? No one has ever suggested they solve the gun problem. And there probably have been "thoughts and prayers" that go out towards the victims of immigration, the thousands that are killed or raped every year.
    See above...

Thoughts and prayers are the only thing offered.... it's become a disgusting fucking joke at this point.... it seems the only solutions offered are arming teachers (arm everybody) or that schools have to many doors... the pro gun crowd is a fucking joke. Period.

Parenting. Video games. TV. The internet. Bullying. Mental health. Lack of God. Etc. Etc. Etc. ANYTHING but the fact this country is littered with guns... and its getting worse by the minute with cowardly suburban white guys stockpiling AR and similar weapons.... tactical flashlights... tactical sunglasses... 

Nice try,  it's evidence of the paranoid mentality of some in this country and why people are stockpiling weapons. Why the hell does a civilian need a tactical flashlight? Its openly advertised that way. 

Every shooting you come in here and do the same thing, play contrarian and challenge/ridicule people and their ideas that actually want change

I agree, the “tacticool” marketing annoys me, but that’s all it is.  You put the word “tactical” in front of something and it is a hit with the wannabes.  Tactical shorts, shirts, flashlights, etc.  Falls in line with the militaristic culture.  Why is it a thing to be “tacticool”?
    Why is it a thing to own an AR? 

Same issue. Same propaganda. Same fear peddling. It's the same bullshit and the same people falling for it
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    mace1229 said:
    my2hands said:

Pathetic 

Because it's useless?  If prayers worked there would be no shooting.
    Okay, but why is it when people are mocked for saying it, it is always targeting one group (the pro-guns), when everyone says it?
    You can find all of the anti-gun politicians saying "thoughts and prayers" as much as anyone else. That's what is puzzling to me.
    I've never heard one person suggest thoughts and prayers would solve the problem, it is giving condolences to those who lost loved ones. Whats so wrong with that? Should pro-gun people say "sorry for your loss" and let only the anti-gun politicians use "thoughts and prayers"?
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:
    mace1229 said:
    my2hands said:

Pathetic 

See above...

I agree, the “tacticool” marketing annoys me, but that’s all it is.  You put the word “tactical” in front of something and it is a hit with the wannabes.  Tactical shorts, shirts, flashlights, etc.  Falls in line with the militaristic culture.  Why is it a thing to be “tacticool”?
    Why is it a thing to own an AR? 

Same issue. Same propaganda. Same fear peddling. It's the same bullshit and the same people falling for it
    I cannot answer for everyone, but around here people started getting them for hog hunting.  Then there started to be so many variants/customizations that they bled over into the personal home protection realm.  Some get them because they are wanna be Call of Duty heros...I don’t claim to know everyone’s motive for doing what they do.

mace1229 said:
    my2hands said:

Pathetic 

What do you mean by the "victims of immigration"? Are you implying that thousand of Americans are killed or raped every year by immigrants? Since immigrants are less likely to commit violent crimes than those born in the USA, Americans would logically be safer around immigrants than those born in the US.

If you are referring to immigrants who have been harmed in the process, then you may have something there. 
    I was referring to the the immigrants who are raped and killed in the process.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    If these folks should were shooting up their local, county, or state public offices instead of schools, that'd get laws changed real fuckin' quick.

Disclaimer: I am not suggesting they actually do this nor am I condoning violence.  It's a hypothetical thought that, if they did this, perhaps we'd be more apt to see progress.
    An AZ Congresswoman was shot at a rally and nothing happened.

In DC a congressman was shot on a ball field and nothing was done.

I do remember reading that Reagan while governor of California, passed gun laws pretty quickly when the Panthers were expressing their 2nd amendment rights.
    Right, the frequency & damage done would have to be much more often than two isolated incidents with one victim each.  Like, the frequency of schools getting shot up and number of students/teachers wounded or killed.
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    my2hands said:

Pathetic 

What do you mean by the "victims of immigration"? Are you implying that thousand of Americans are killed or raped every year by immigrants? Since immigrants are less likely to commit violent crimes than those born in the USA, Americans would logically be safer around immigrants than those born in the US.

If you are referring to immigrants who have been harmed in the process, then you may have something there. 
    who cares about them remember most of them are animals ,criminals , rapist themselves we only get the worst people from Central America ...
    mace1229 said:
    my2hands said:

Pathetic 

NRA is basically saying we have to live with it ! by their non action on any gun reform or do you disagree ? 
    I've seen the NRA say some very dumb stuff, I would agree.
    But only about 5% of gun owners are in the NRA, and they certainly don't represent everyone.

If I had to guess, I'd say the same percentage that are in the NRA (5%) is probably about equal to the same percentage of gun owners who think more gun control won't help reduce gun crime. That is not a common perception among gun owners.

According to Washington Post most gun owners are for at least some stronger regulations,
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/most-gun-owners-support-background-checks-and-other-limits-so-why-arent-their-voices-heard/2015/10/07/af9c96b0-6c41-11e5-aa5b-f78a98956699_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.4048c3d95686
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    my2hands said:

Pathetic 

who cares about them remember most of them are animals ,criminals , rapist themselves we only get the worst people from Central America ...
    He specifically said MS13 members were this...
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,482
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Desensitized children due to violence glorified on the screen,violent video games meant for adults being played by children, media demonizing authority. They do what they're taught by role models and what's glorified by what they see everyday. 

lol @ violent video games. Dude, many of us in Australia including myself and my friends grew up playing violent video games and watching violent shows and movies.
    None of us turned out to be mass murderers. 
    Interesting, many of us in the USA, including myself grew up hunting/shooting guns.  None of us turned out to be mass murderers either.
    This is just a version of “my grandfather smoked and he still lived to the age of 80”. 

No one is claiming that every gun owner/user is going to become a murderer. People are claiming, with a lot of data to justify it, that the high prevalence of gun users/owners in the USA is really the only difference to account for the high rate of gun violence. It’s that simple. 
    So what’s your plan for making them go away?  I can think of a few other geographical/cultural differences that makes the US a bit different than Australia as well, can you?
    I know it’s a difficult truth to believe, but the facts are clear.

Sure, Australia is different from the US. Canada, too. And England. And Sweden. And Argentina.  But you know what? All of those countries are different from each other, and none of them have the levels of gun violence that the USA does. 

This argument is really just another case of the belief in “American exceptionalism”; that the US is really special and somehow different from the rest of the world. Well, it isn’t; it just has a lot more guns. 

So what is your solution?

Exhibit B
    So asking for your thoughts regarding a solution equals saying nothing can be done in your world?  The only person here i’ve seen saying nothing can be done is jose...sorry to call you out jose.  

It's what is inferred by your comment,  which you always go to when confronted in this issue with the facts driving the problem, we have too many fucking guns.  You throw up your hands as if its hopeless and put it on a poster to come up with solutions, as if it hasn't been discussed ad nauseam 

What would you do, besides arm teachers?

I said I agreed with the poster if you are talking about the one I am thinking.  Why don’t you focus on the subject at hand instead of crying about other posters.  I’ve offered several suggestions throughout the forum, but it gets tiring rehashing them.  Just because people might not agree with you does not mean they are throwing in the towel.  

So you haven't been openly stating gun reform wont work in this country for various reasons? The only reform I've seen you advocate for is more guns brother
    His post after post about armed teachers is the solution was great until Parkland and Santa Fe both had armed police on site and 20+ were killed. Then it was back to offering nothing.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©

Just step back and take in the stupidity of the GOP
    This is why comments like that make me laugh.
    Don't you think everyone has a little hypocrite in them?

I've noticed you can use the same arguments for many cases, they just flip sides. Much of the anti-gun crowd is for legalizing more drugs. Doesn't legalizing drugs mean more drugs in the country, and more drugs in the country means easier access for kids? I can repeat that tweet with the anti-gun and drug argument and it'd be the same.

I'm no exception. I'm pro-life, but for capital punishment.  Everyone's got a little hypocrite in them.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited May 2018
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    my2hands said:

Pathetic 

Too late... Mexicans are rapists... build the wall... shitholes... Muslim ban... defending nazi's... he does not deserve the benefit of the doubt,  the leopard has shown his spots many times
    my2hands said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    my2hands said:

Pathetic 

Too late... Mexicans are rapists... build the wall... shitholes... Muslim ban... defending nazi's... he does not deserve the benefit of the doubt,  the leopard has shown his spots many times
    Can't argue that either.
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,482
    Other than saying “it happens far too frequently,” What has Team Trump Treason suggested or proposed to do about the epidemic of gun violence in the US? Oh yea, the NRA spent $30 million more on his election than the last and some of that came in the form of rubles. Never mind.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,172
    mcgruff10 said:
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I have always been about training and safety so I think this is a positive step:
    http://www.nj.com/middlesex/index.ssf/2018/05/hs_students_fire_real_guns.html

N.J. teens shot guns this weekend and thought it was 'really cool'

Sebastian Mongeau fulfilled a lifelong ambition on Sunday.

"I always wanted to shoot a gun since I was a kid," said Sebastion, who at 14 years old arguably still is one.

But now the brawny Lacey High School freshman is a kid who's fired not only a 9mm Glock pistol, but also a fearsome Stag Arms AR-10 semi-automatic rifle, thanks to an event titled, "Common Sense Gun Safety Training for Students," on Sunday, organized in response to an incident in March that angered Second Amendment activists and parents in the generally gun-friendly Ocean County community.

So how was his first pull of a real, live trigger?

"It was really cool," said Sebastian, who now more than ever wants his own Desert Eagle semi-automatic handgun.

"I thought it would have more kick," added Sebastian, who got a ride to the event at a Middlesex County gun range from his half-brother, John Barrow, 24, also of Lacey. 

The event was held at the Union Hill Gun Club in Monroe, organized by the president of the New Jersey Second Amendment Society, Alexander Roubian, in response to the disciplining of two Lacey High School students after one of them had posted a photo on Facebook taken at a gun range they were visiting with adults during non-school hours.

No threat of violence accompanied the photo and no criminal activity was ever alleged by authorities. And Roubian was one of 200 or so people who packed a  school board meeting where district officials were repeatedly accused of meddling in a perfectly legal family activity, off campus and after school hours. One father was cheered after telling school officials, "It's none of your damn business what our children do outside of school."

Participants in Sunday's free event were given a safety briefing by the gun club's chief instructor and safety officer, Rocco La Rocca II, a National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor and counselor. La Rocca also runs a self-defense training firm known as ROC -- "Recognize, Organize, Counteract" -- based at Union Hill Gun Club, a two-story indoor shooting range owned by Paul and Beth Picone that also includes the Legend Firearms gun shop, tucked away on a wooded stretch on Union Hill Road.

The Lacey school district was not officially involved in the event.

During Sunday's briefing, participants were given a list of safety precautions, including these three "NRA Gun Safety Rules": 

• Keep the gun pointed in a safe direction
    • Keep your finger off the shoot trigger until ready to shoot
    • keep the gun unloaded until ready to use
    • To those, La Rocca added two more points:

• Always assume a firearm is loaded and act accordingly.
      • When forced to use a gun, be mindful not only of what or who your target is, but also of what, or who, is behind it.

Sunday's event was two days after the nation's latest mass school shooting, when eight students and two teachers were killed on Friday in Santa Fe, Texas, where authorities say a 17-year-old student used a shotgun and a handgun legally owned by his father and kept in the attic of their house. 

Asked how gun safety education might minimize the chances of harm in mass shootings like Friday's, La Rocca did not hesitate to hold parents accountable.

"Very simple, the parents themselves should know that firearms themselves are mechanical devices that can injure somebody or themselves," La Rocca said in n interview after the briefing. "Why don't you lock them up? Why don't you do that? Why don't you buy a safe? I've had some (adult) students come in my class and say, 'Oh, no, it's fine, it's in the drawer.' No it's not. No it's not. Get a safe." 

A Rutgers survey of gun-safety studies recently published in Health Promotion Practice found that safety training is unlikely to prevent harmful or fatal mishaps when guns are accessible to young children. The survey found that:

• Children ages 4-9 who participate in gun safety programs often ignore what they learned when encountering a real firearm without adult supervision
      • Boys are more likely to ignore safety rules than girls
      • Few studies have been done on gun safety programs for children beyond 4th grade.
    how utterly absurd. a kid that age can't legally drive a car but hey let's let him shoot guns.  what a good idea. the last 3 points of the story show how stupid it is. jeezus our guns laws are so utterly fucking stupid.
    Utterly absurd to teach kids how to safely handle a firearm and shoot? The kids were in high school, not 4-9. You can’t own a gun until 18 but you can legally hunt and handle a gun around the age of ten. 
    you seriously don't see how asinine it is to allow a 10-15 year old to hunt and handle a gun?  i just can't fathom how anyone can think that is ok. 
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    mace1229 said:

I've noticed you can use the same arguments for many cases, they just flip sides. Much of the anti-gun crowd is for legalizing more drugs. Doesn't legalizing drugs mean more drugs in the country, and more drugs in the country means easier access for kids? I can repeat that tweet with the anti-gun and drug argument and it'd be the same.

I'm no exception. I'm pro-life, but for capital punishment.  Everyone's got a little hypocrite in them.

Is "much of the anti-gun crowd" pro-legalization? Maybe; I haven't seen any data. If you have it, post it.

But we could run with it anyway. First, not very many people are actually pro-legalization of all drugs, so if you want to make this claim, then maybe best to go with pro-legalization of cannabis. 

So will legalization of cannabis lead to more access in the country? Maybe, maybe not; it depends on the legislation, because there are many factors that legalization would involve, including all elements of the supply chain, access, age restrictions, pricing, etc.; the kind of thing we're talking about with guns, actually, which to my mind makes it less "hypocritical" and more comparable.

Second, a gram of weed is far less dangerous to a kid than a gun, so I really don't care so much if it's more available. If I had to choose, I would choose for kids to get their hands on weed than on a loaded gun. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I have always been about training and safety so I think this is a positive step:

"I always wanted to shoot a gun since I was a kid," said Sebastion, who at 14 years old arguably still is one.

But now the brawny Lacey High School freshman is a kid who's fired not only a 9mm Glock pistol, but also a fearsome Stag Arms AR-10 semi-automatic rifle, thanks to an event titled, "Common Sense Gun Safety Training for Students," on Sunday, organized in response to an incident in March that angered Second Amendment activists and parents in the generally gun-friendly Ocean County community.

"It was really cool," said Sebastian, who now more than ever wants his own Desert Eagle semi-automatic handgun.

"I thought it would have more kick," added Sebastian, who got a ride to the event at a Middlesex County gun range from his half-brother, John Barrow, 24, also of Lacey. 

The event was held at the Union Hill Gun Club in Monroe, organized by the president of the New Jersey Second Amendment Society, Alexander Roubian, in response to the disciplining of two Lacey High School students after one of them had posted a photo on Facebook taken at a gun range they were visiting with adults during non-school hours.

No threat of violence accompanied the photo and no criminal activity was ever alleged by authorities. And Roubian was one of 200 or so people who packed a  school board meeting where district officials were repeatedly accused of meddling in a perfectly legal family activity, off campus and after school hours. One father was cheered after telling school officials, "It's none of your damn business what our children do outside of school."

Participants in Sunday's free event were given a safety briefing by the gun club's chief instructor and safety officer, Rocco La Rocca II, a National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor and counselor. La Rocca also runs a self-defense training firm known as ROC -- "Recognize, Organize, Counteract" -- based at Union Hill Gun Club, a two-story indoor shooting range owned by Paul and Beth Picone that also includes the Legend Firearms gun shop, tucked away on a wooded stretch on Union Hill Road.

During Sunday's briefing, participants were given a list of safety precautions, including these three "NRA Gun Safety Rules": 

• When forced to use a gun, be mindful not only of what or who your target is, but also of what, or who, is behind it.

Sunday's event was two days after the nation's latest mass school shooting, when eight students and two teachers were killed on Friday in Santa Fe, Texas, where authorities say a 17-year-old student used a shotgun and a handgun legally owned by his father and kept in the attic of their house. 

Asked how gun safety education might minimize the chances of harm in mass shootings like Friday's, La Rocca did not hesitate to hold parents accountable.

"Very simple, the parents themselves should know that firearms themselves are mechanical devices that can injure somebody or themselves," La Rocca said in n interview after the briefing. "Why don't you lock them up? Why don't you do that? Why don't you buy a safe? I've had some (adult) students come in my class and say, 'Oh, no, it's fine, it's in the drawer.' No it's not. No it's not. Get a safe." 

A Rutgers survey of gun-safety studies recently published in Health Promotion Practice found that safety training is unlikely to prevent harmful or fatal mishaps when guns are accessible to young children. The survey found that:

• Children ages 4-9 who participate in gun safety programs often ignore what they learned when encountering a real firearm without adult supervision
      • Few studies have been done on gun safety programs for children beyond 4th grade.
    how utterly absurd. a kid that age can't legally drive a car but hey let's let him shoot guns.  what a good idea. the last 3 points of the story show how stupid it is. jeezus our guns laws are so utterly fucking stupid.
    Utterly absurd to teach kids how to safely handle a firearm and shoot? The kids were in high school, not 4-9. You can’t own a gun until 18 but you can legally hunt and handle a gun around the age of ten. 
    you seriously don't see how asinine it is to allow a 10-15 year old to hunt and handle a gun?  i just can't fathom how anyone can think that is ok. 

Another argument to treat guns as a public health issue with some management aspects similar to operating an automobile.

I know the pro-gun, particularly the pro-hunting crowd, likes to reminisce about how much fun they had hunting as a kid and what a bonding experience it was with family members. When I was about eleven, my grandmother let me start driving her car on the country back road near her rural cabin, like she did with my siblings and all my cousins. It was fun, it was exciting, it was something we shared with our grandmother and tried to keep from our parents - and it was completely a stupid idea. One of my cousins drove the car into a tree (luckily at low speed); another got stuck in a ditch. Both could have been so much worse. Kids that young simply don't have the brains to manage a potentially deadly situation. Kids shouldn't be firing guns, just like kids shouldn't be driving cars. Not every situation will end in tragedy, but enough do to make it a stupid idea. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I've been shooting since I was 10 and saw nothing wrong with it.  My family all shot guns and started early.  If you aren't accustomed to it I can see why you find it asinine.
  • pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I don't think it's asinine at all.

I've stated it before so sorry for the repetition: I grew up hunting and even though I don't do it any more... I respect 'good' hunters. They are using guns as they were intended and they are obtaining their meat in much more humane fashion than the Costco shoppers buying boxes of frozen chicken breasts from factory farms.

My issue is with urban 'hobbyists': soldier wannabes that flaunt the 2nd amendment while wearing their tactical gear (reference to @PJPOWER comment above), practicing their "Heil Hitler" salutes, shooting wide of their targets at the landfill (empty bud cans) and restraining their spike collared pit bulls from tearing our faces off.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    edited May 2018
    Please go smoke another bowl

Bit on the " "Defensive" " side there *You're Blanched*...Can't offer a PROPER argument *You're Blanched*???
    Post edited by i_lov_it on
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I see it perfectly normal . My kids will hunt with me when they turn ten but to each their own. 

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    Other than saying “it happens far too frequently,” What has Team Trump Treason suggested or proposed to do about the epidemic of gun violence in the US? Oh yea, the NRA spent $30 million more on his election than the last and some of that came in the form of rubles. Never mind.
    Dropp the f'n mic !

Just a Childish Comment *You're Blanched* then run...

pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I don't think it's asinine at all.

I've stated it before so sorry for the repetition: I grew up hunting and even though I don't do it any more... I respect 'good' hunters. They are using guns as they were intended and they are obtaining their meat in much more humane fashion than the Costco shoppers buying boxes of frozen chicken breasts from factory farms.

My issue is with urban 'hobbyists': soldier wannabes that flaunt the 2nd amendment while wearing their tactical gear (reference to @PJPOWER comment above), practicing their "Heil Hitler" salutes, shooting wide of their targets at the landfill (empty bud cans) and restraining their spike collared pit bulls from tearing our faces off.
    I’m with ya.  In fact, I am far more concerned about the kid that goes out and buys one at 18 “to be cool” than the 18 year old that has hunted since they were 10 and are purchasing one.  Most likely the child that has hunted knows basic safety and what kind of damage unsafe handling could cause.
    Please go smoke another bowl

Well come on *You're Blanched*...surely you can offer more than this...Hmmmmmmmmm???
    mace1229 said:

lol who here has advocated for the legalization of drugs ? weed yes , lets just keep to guns on this thread ok keep your eye on the ball so do we have to many guns in this country ? 
This discussion has been closed.