The Pizza Thread

Comments

• eddieceddiec Posts: 3,834
    Okay, I'll jump in on the water issue.
    Yes. The water is very important in making dough. Does it mean that New York has the best tap water? No. But when mixed with a high gluten flour it produces excellent dough.
    All pizza starts with the base. If you can't get that right, it doesn't matter what you do. It will never be perfect.
    I personally know pizza restaurant owners who moved to Florida to open restaurants. They will be the first to admit they could never get the dough right. They couldn't replicate the same pizza they made in New York using all the same ingredients. 
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    eddiec said:
    Yes. The water is very important in making dough. Does it mean that New York has the best tap water? No. But when mixed with a high gluten flour it produces excellent dough.
    All pizza starts with the base. If you can't get that right, it doesn't matter what you do. It will never be perfect.
    I personally know pizza restaurant owners who moved to Florida to open restaurants. They will be the first to admit they could never get the dough right. They couldn't replicate the same pizza they made in New York using all the same ingredients. 
    Absolutely true, but if they tweaked the recipe to fit the new water, it could be.  The gluten level would need to come down or the water would need softened and acidified slightly.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,816
    rgambs said:
    eddiec said:
    Absolutely true, but if they tweaked the recipe to fit the new water, it could be.  The gluten level would need to come down or the water would need softened and acidified slightly.
    Gambs there are several pizza places and bakeries around me that import the water from Brooklyn. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,928
    bbiggs said:
    Not necessarily a pizza thread pic,  but for any of you that are going to the Wrigley shows in August, go to La Scarola in Halsted and Grand. The food is second to none. Authentic gnocchi...

Too damn heavy...  Maybe a 1/4 of that portion!!!
    You are correct! The portions at this place are ridiculous. We all shared everything we ordered, but I still won’t need to eat for about a week. Over indulged to say the least. 
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,928
    The pizza thread suddenly got scientific. Lol. Never thought we’d see the day. 
  • bbiggs said:
    The pizza thread suddenly got scientific. Lol. Never thought we’d see the day. 
    We're a high tech group. We take this shit seriously.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    Not necessarily a pizza thread pic,  but for any of you that are going to the Wrigley shows in August, go to La Scarola in Halsted and Grand. The food is second to none. Authentic gnocchi...

You are correct! The portions at this place are ridiculous. We all shared everything we ordered, but I still won’t need to eat for about a week. Over indulged to say the least. 
    Love family style!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,956
    dankind said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:

Love family style!
    I prefer doggy style. Hay yo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,834
    rgambs said:
    eddiec said:
    This is getting scientific. ;)
    But if you drop the gluten level you lose the elasticity which makes it possible to stretch the dough to the correct thickness/thinness.
    Believe me, they knew all the tricks. During heat spells in New York they would add ice cubes during the mixing process to keep the temp down.
  • Back from Vegas.

I had two slices from a pizzeria in Paris. Terrible. Like... legitimately terrible.

I also had a five hour delay in the airport and got back to Bellingham really, really late. Then the three hour drive home. Fuks sakes.

Going riding today and gonna try and burn off a bunch of fat I accumulated big timing it in LV. It's going to suck. This is one ride I'm looking forward to the end of it versus the journey lol.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,956
    Back from Vegas.

I had two slices from a pizzeria in Paris. Terrible. Like... legitimately terrible.

I also had a five hour delay in the airport and got back to Bellingham really, really late. Then the three hour drive home. Fuks sakes.

Going riding today and gonna try and burn off a bunch of fat I accumulated big timing it in LV. It's going to suck. This is one ride I'm looking forward to the end of it versus the journey lol.
    I've been trying to tell folks out there but they don't listen...
  • Back from Vegas.

I've been trying to tell folks out there but they don't listen...

They need to start listening gawddammit.
    Somebody better be eating some pizza this weekend. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,611
    Ha.  Making some, I think tomorrow evening.  Will share for critiques.  :)

The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Ha.  Making some, I think tomorrow evening.  Will share for critiques.  :)

Yes!!! Try to hit up papa s and delorenzos!
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,506
    edited May 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    Obviously I have a bug up my ass about this issue lol
    That you do!  Did a ny/nj slice of pizza wrong you in your younger years?
    did your high school sweetheart break up with you as you were munching down on a bagel while overlooking Central Park?
    I had a slice from what was supposedly one of "the" places to get a NY slice in NYC. There was a line up around the corner .... I was geared up to understand why everyone is always going off about the NYC slice, and I was disappointed, or at best felt totally neutral. It was just a floppy, average-tasting slice of thin crust pizza. Perception is indeed almost everything if New Yorkers truly believe their pizza has anything on pizza anywhere else.
    (side note: I had the exact opposite experience with Chicago hot dogs. They totally lived up to the hype)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    mcgruff10 said:
    Deninos brick, nj.  Top 20 in the state.  

What is that supposed to be, calamari? Looks absolutely disgusting. Pizza looks okay.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited May 2018
    bbiggs said:

No way, pasta (or gnocchi) doggy bags are the best! There is a super popular pasta place where I am, always a line up outside for dinner, that serves ridiculously huge portions of pasta. People go there because they can order dinner and leave with dinner for the next couple of days as well, lol. 
    edited May 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Deninos brick, nj.  Top 20 in the state.  

What is that supposed to be, calamari? Looks absolutely disgusting. Pizza looks okay.
    Supposed to be?  Lol. It was amazing. Light and crisp. 
    Pizza was awesome. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,611
    Both rings and pizza look great there

Yuck. Is that what all calamari looks like in America or what?
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,445
    or what.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    I prefer Calamari steak, so it looks nothing like that....but if I am eating fried squid I prefer it to look like that, and bot the heavily battered nastiness that most places serve.
    PJ_Soul said:
    I guess in nj,ny and pa it looks like that. It was tasty Allie!  What does fried calamari look like in bc?
    edited May 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I guess in nj,ny and pa it looks like that. It was tasty Allie!  What does fried calamari look like in bc?
    Usually like this. Your version is missing by FAR the best part - the parts with the little tentacles. So tasty! And I don't understand why the rings are so massive for yours. The rings here are a fraction of that size. Weird!

PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Usually like this. Your version is missing by FAR the best part - the parts with the little tentacles. So tasty! And I don't understand why the rings are so massive for yours. The rings here are a fraction of that size. Weird!

The tentacles were buried in the bottom lol. Is that tartar sauce?  Try marinara instead!
    edited May 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

The tentacles were buried in the bottom lol. Is that tartar sauce?  Try marinara instead!
    Ew, no, not tartar sauce. It's Tzatziki. It usually comes with at least that, but often also with a spicy chipotle-type sauce too.
    The idea of marinara sauce on calamari sickens me. :lol: I am going full-on calamari snob on you dude!!! ;)
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Ew, no, not tartar sauce. It's Tzatziki. It usually comes with at least that, but often also with a spicy chipotle-type sauce too.
    The idea of marinara sauce on calamari sickens me. :lol: I am going full-on calamari snob on you dude!!! ;)
    And here lies the difference between east coast Italian and the rest of the world lol. Marinara sauce and calamari are used in so many Italian dishes. They go hand and hand imo.  
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,445
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

The rings here are a fraction of that size. Weird! 

that kinda explains another, unrelated, canadian/american thing.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16