Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    tbergs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    tbergs said:
    Isn't it Texas where teachers are already armed?
    Texas is a big state.  Not all schools have an armed response.
    It will be interesting to see what happened in this instance and if they are already armed. I'm sure that will become a main focus after the fact either way.
    No doubt.  I’m sure the talking heads are already foaming at the mouth.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,621
    PJPOWER said:
    bbiggs said:
    Looks like Trump supporters aren’t the only responsible gun owners until they’re not...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/05/18/politics/trump-golf-course-shots-fired/index.html
    I don’t care what political affiliation they have. Just that “responsible” gun owners typically are until they’re not. And that there’s way too many of them.

Left wing terrorist...
     They are just terrorists,  regardless of the motive.  The posters here have generally been consistent with their objection to some if not all weapons.  No one has argued for partisan gun ownership.  
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    bbiggs said:
    Looks like Trump supporters aren’t the only responsible gun owners until they’re not...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/05/18/politics/trump-golf-course-shots-fired/index.html
    I don’t care what political affiliation they have. Just that “responsible” gun owners typically are until they’re not. And that there’s way too many of them.

Left wing terrorist...
     They are just terrorists,  regardless of the motive.  The posters here have generally been consistent with their objection to some if not all weapons.  No one has argued for partisan gun ownership.  
    Also not clear this guy is left wing at all, let alone a "left wing terrorist", though he might be. He fired shots into the ceiling, pulled the fire alarm, and then waited for police to arrive to engage them. Might have been attempting to get himself shot. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,930
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    bbiggs said:

Left wing terrorist...
    I agree that no one is arguing for partisan gun ownership on here, but let's be honest.  I do think there is a heavy undertone that much of America's gun problem is rooted in right-wing, Trump supporting, toothless, redneck, NRA supporting, God Bless 'Murica bumper sticker sporting gun owners.  That descriptions is typically not directed at the left. 
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,575
    bbiggs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    bbiggs said:

Left wing terrorist...
    I agree that no one is arguing for partisan gun ownership on here, but let's be honest.  I do think there is a heavy undertone that much of America's gun problem is rooted in right-wing, Trump supporting, toothless, redneck, NRA supporting, God Bless 'Murica bumper sticker sporting gun owners.  That descriptions is typically not directed at the left. 
    I’d be willing to bet that the demographic you described has a higher percentage of gun owners than “the left,” and thus are a larger percentage of the overall problem.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,991
    bbiggs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    bbiggs said:

Left wing terrorist...
    I agree. I find it funny how it is acceptable to stereotype the right. No other group would that be acceptable. I'm sure many are out there, but I know many gun owners, and none of them talk like or look like that. 
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    mace1229 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    bbiggs said:

Left wing terrorist...
    I agree. I find it funny how it is acceptable to stereotype the right. No other group would that be acceptable. I'm sure many are out there, but I know many gun owners, and none of them talk like or look like that. 

Right, because no one, including on this thread, ever stereotypes the left.....
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Bunch of rednecks in Chicago? 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    bbiggs said:

Left wing terrorist...

They do. I never said they don't.  But it is not acceptable to do so. They are immediately called out and a thread war begins over it.
    Stereotyping the right is acceptable though.
    How little to no backlash has there been tpo calling gun owners toothless, illiterate redneck? Now if we accused the left of equally negative and untrue stereotypes there'd be 5 pages of responses. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    bbiggs said:

Left wing terrorist...

They do. I never said they don't.  But it is not acceptable to do so. They are immediately called out and a thread war begins over it.
    How little to no backlash has there been tpo calling gun owners toothless, illiterate redneck? Now if we accused the left of equally negative and untrue stereotypes there'd be 5 pages of responses. 
    If there was balance between left and right on these boards, this would be correct.

The majority of posters here lean left. If you went to a site where the majority of posters habituate on the right side of the spectrum you'd see different reactions like stereotyping the left.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    bbiggs said:

Left wing terrorist...
    No, I disagree.  America's gun problem is rooted in the lack of reasonable gun control.  And that lack of reasonable control is rooted in the gun manufacturers financial support of the NRA, who subsequently pressure Congress to do nothing.  
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,840
     :disappointed:

(CNN)[Breaking news update, published at 10:54 a.m. ET]

Multiple deaths are being reported in Friday morning's shooting at southeastern Texas' Santa Fe High School, two law enforcement sources told CNN, citing preliminary information.

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    bbiggs said:

Left wing terrorist...

The left wingers are too occupied combing their man-buns and pretending to be cats.  If they got caught up trying to point out the hipocracy of their own, they may drop their quad-shot soy latte or forget to put on their vagina hats.
    is that sufficient for a 5 pager?  Lol
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    bbiggs said:

Left wing terrorist...

The left wingers are too occupied combing their man-buns and pretending to be cats.  If they got caught up trying to point out the hipocracy of their own, they may drop their quad-shot soy latte or forget to put on their vagina hats.
    This is literally the dumbest thing I will read all month, and I often suffer through articles on Breitbart.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    bbiggs said:

Left wing terrorist...

This is literally the dumbest thing I will read all month, and I often suffer through articles on Breitbart.  
    Can’t take a joke?
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    bbiggs said:

Left wing terrorist...

Can’t take a joke?
    it just seems to be gibberish.  
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    Bunch of rednecks in Chicago? 
    LOL.  Everywhere.
  • Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    The high school shooting in Dixon Illinois that got foiled made almost no headlines, there was virtually no chatter about that at all.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    bbiggs said:

Left wing terrorist...
    No, I disagree.  America's gun problem is rooted in the lack of reasonable gun control.  And that lack of reasonable control is rooted in the gun manufacturers financial support of the NRA, who subsequently pressure Congress to do nothing.  
    Agreed the problem is rooted in a lack of reasonable gun control.  If you disagree that most on here point to the toothless hillbillies as the problem, well, then we'll have to agree to disagree.
  • Options
    RYME said:
    The high school shooting in Dixon Illinois that got foiled made almost no headlines, there was virtually no chatter about that at all.
    Positive stories do not spike the clicks.  The mainstream media prefers stories with a body count.
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    bbiggs said:

Left wing terrorist...
    Agreed the problem is rooted in a lack of reasonable gun control.  If you disagree that most on here point to the toothless hillbillies as the problem, well, then we'll have to agree to disagree.
    They can speak for themselves, but I interpret that accusation as the belief that the least sophisticated type voter is being manipulated to believe the left wants to take all guns  (which couldn't happen without an amendment), and they are standing in the way of any reform whatsoever.  Not necessarily that said toothless hillbilly is the one committing the atrocities.  We all know the perps are not party specific. 
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    bbiggs said:

Left wing terrorist...

If there was balance between left and right on these boards, this would be correct.

The majority of posters here lean left. If you went to a site where the majority of posters habituate on the right side of the spectrum you'd see different reactions like stereotyping the left.
    I don't think so. You don't have to go back far to see numerous comparisons of gun owners to rednecks, illiterate, small penis, incest, toothless rednecks. And it is acceptable to do so, many probably actually believe it..
    Do you really think if the majority leaned right and abortion was brought up that it would be acceptable to say pro-lifers just want abortion because they can't keep their pants on around their sister and are too dumb to read directions on birth control labels? Almost mno one would support that accusation. 
    Yes I know Rush Limbaugh called a girl a slut because she wanted more birth control, but he got backlash from both sides. I'm not saying no one would ever say it, I'm just saying it is completely acceptable when stereotyping the left. Not just on here, look at FB posts during the elections. It is completely acceptable to stereotype one side with negative characteristics. 
    I can't remember anyone accusing all Hilary supporters of things like that, but even Hilary herself and many, many of her supporters lump all Trump supporters into one negative group. So its okay to stereotype the right and call them/us rednecks and illiterate and toothless and everything else. There is definitely some irony in that. 
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    RYME said:
     It was stopped by a cop. Good.  Don't we expect cops to do that?  Remember much of the arguing here is about assault rifles and arming teachers. 
  • Options
    Thoughts and prayers.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited May 2018
    mrussel1 said:
    RYME said:
     It was stopped by a cop. Good.  Don't we expect cops to do that?  Remember much of the arguing here is about assault rifles and arming teachers. 
    Dixon Illinois high school got lucky that the shooter went to the gymnasium where the graduation rehearsal was occurring, and the campus officer happened to be in there and was able to stop the threat.  If that Shooter had gone to the English room, or the art class, we probably would have been talking about another horrific school shooting.
    One or two armed officers can possibly cover the whole school.
    Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    Ollie North comment yet?

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    PJPOWER said:
    RYME said:
    Positive stories do not spike the clicks.  The mainstream media prefers stories with a body count.
    It's sad, but couldn't be any more truthful.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,213
    edited May 2018
    RYME said:
    mrussel1 said:
    RYME said:
    Dixon Illinois high school got lucky that the shooter went to the gymnasium where the graduation rehearsal was occurring, and the campus officer happened to be in there and was able to stop the threat.  If that Shooter had gone to the English room, or the art class, we probably would have been talking about another horrific school shooting.
    One or two armed officers can possibly cover the whole school.
    I don't get what you're trying to argue here. It sounds like the Dixon case actually makes the opposite point you're trying to argue. An armed gunman gained access to a school, which is a problem, but chose the wrong area for his shooting and was encountered by a cop who is assigned to that school. No one here has argued against a school resource officer at schools. The Dixon incident further exemplifies there is a problem with guns and active shooters.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,840
    at least eight confirmed dead
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    RYME said:
    Doesn't fit their radical agenda.
This discussion has been closed.