Ament: Pearl Jam does not have any immediate plans to go back into the studio.

124»

Comments

• CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,894
    Wouldn't a nostalgia act be a band who wheels out the same 20 or so songs (maybe mixing up 2-3 songs) for 90 minutes each night?  I understand differing opinions and how some would prefer new music while others just want to see shows.  But when I think of nostalgia, I hardly think of Pearl Jam.  I think over the course of 2 nights in the same city, you'll likely see 50-60 different songs and a near 3 hour show each night.  Not what some of these current nostalgia acts are doing.  

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited May 2018
    Deadman said:
    JimmyV said:
    I love this band because of the music that exists, not the music that might potentially exist in the future. If we get a new album, great. If we don't but they keep touring, great. The shows are what keeps me coming back. If that makes me a fanboy, so be it.
    This is exactly where I'm at.  I honestly don't care when the next album comes out.  As long as I can keep seeing shows once every couple years, I'm happy

Such the opposite for me but I realize I’m way in the minority.  I’d rather have new songs over new tour dates.
    If I had any faith that I'd actually like the new songs and that they wouldn't just make me feel like PJ has completely lost their inspiration as a band, I'd feel the same way.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    wnh1977 said:
    I remember seeing the Rolling Stones in 2005.  I was happy to see them, of course, they were one of the legendary rock bands of all time.  But it felt like just a fun, nostalgia thing.  I think one could argue that the Stones in 2005 were like the PJ of today, granted they were about a decade older. 

When I saw the Stones in 2005, their recent history was: Dirty Work (1986) Steel Wheels (1989), Voodoo Lounge (1994), Bridges to Babylon (1997), A Bigger Bang (2005). So, 5 albums in 20 years.  Pearl Jam has released 5 albums in the last 20 years.  PJ's time between albums has steadily gone up in the past dozen years.

When I saw the Stones, they were kind of thought of as a caricature.  They were already thought of as old dudes and that is 13 years ago!  You were going to see a huge stage show, fireworks, and dudes playing their hits from a quarter-century ago.  When you go to PJ, you go to see a guy swinging from globes in a massive ballpark playing their hits from a quarter-century ago.

So, after I saw the Stones once in 2005, I had very little urge to see them again.  I mean, I would, but I wasn't going to travel a great distance or spend $250 to see a nostalgia act again.  I think I've kind of reached that point with PJ.  I get good seats with the fan club.  And ticket prices, though they've gone up, haven't gotten out of hand.  So I'll see them, but just to have a good time... watch a guy swing from the aforementioned globes, probably catch a marriage proposal on stage... but it's just a big spectacle in a ballpark these days, just like the Stones were at PNC Park in Pittsburgh in 2005.  

From a legacy standpoint, I much prefer bands who end it at the right time rather than drag out their career to cash in on touring revenue.  I think it tarnishes the legacy.  If your heart isn't in it for the right reasons, please be done with it.  I guess I have to give the obligatory, "That's just me, as a fan talking."  I know they do good with their money.  Doing a little touring allows them comfortable lives and allows them to do good deeds.  I get it.  I think what we see here on the boards is that's it's a very, very fine line to maneuver.  Many fans are saying the same things I am (except they're not quite as longwinded) :)

The Beatles studio albums came between 1963 - 1970.  Zeppelin's studio albums came between 1969 - 1979  (1982 if you count Coda).  Roger Waters felt Pink Floyd was a "spent force" after The Final Cut, so he was fine with it ending after a run of 1967 - 1983.  "Spent force"... sorry, that's what PJ is for me today.   That's what the Stones were for me in 2005. That's what The Who has been for as long as I remember... seriously, Pete and Roger are still going on under the very lucrative title, "The Who"?  I bet research has shown that a "Townshend/Daltrey" moniker wouldn't sell as well.  
    I'm pretty much right in line with what you have stated. We got a shit ton of material between 1991 - 2003, but it's been a lot of nothing since then. I'd be generous and include 2006 in that span as well since I do really enjoy Self Titled and that tour was their last massive one.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • jdopjjdopj Posts: 646
    Deadman said:
    JimmyV said:
    I love this band because of the music that exists, not the music that might potentially exist in the future. If we get a new album, great. If we don't but they keep touring, great. The shows are what keeps me coming back. If that makes me a fanboy, so be it.
    This is exactly where I'm at.  I honestly don't care when the next album comes out.  As long as I can keep seeing shows once every couple years, I'm happy

Such the opposite for me but I realize I’m way in the minority.  I’d rather have new songs over new tour dates.
    I’m with you 
    disappointed no new album
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    PJ_Soul said:
    Deadman said:
    JimmyV said:

If I had any faith that I'd actually like the new songs and that they wouldn't just make me feel like PJ has completely lost their inspiration as a band, I'd feel the same way.

bingo
  • DZ174741DZ174741 Posts: 28
    What I am curious about is that where Eddie channels his creative energy into. It is inconceivable to me that he doesn't create anymore, but in some different shape and form, I guess. 
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295
    edited May 2018
    DZ174741 said:
    What I am curious about is that where Eddie channels his creative energy into. It is inconceivable to me that he doesn't create anymore, but in some different shape and form, I guess. 
    Coming up with new reasons to tell the family he has to go to ANOTHER Cubs game? =)
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    wnh1977 said:
    3 years, 4 months between Pearl Jam and Backspacer
    4 years, 1 month between Backspacer and Lightning Bolt
    4 years, 7 months (and counting) between Lightning Bolt and Album #11 

Been a fan of this band for about 24 years now.  Unfortunately, for me, it feels more like a nostalgia act these days than anything else.  I think of Ed saying (at R&R Hall of Fame induction) something along the lines of being halfway done, or halfway to the honor.  It just seems so insincere.  There is almost zero proof that this band is hungry and wanting to create great music these days.  Stone made a comment a few years ago... something about music that's not as difficult as their early days, as in easier to replicate on stage.  I took it as, "We don't want to be bothered with challenging ourselves anymore."  

There's been 1 album since PJ20, and that album felt very much like the previous one, nothing people were blown away by.  I have no problem with the band doing whatever they want at whatever pace they want, but my hope would be the payoff would be worth the 5 years of waiting.  For example, Radiohead takes a while between albums (they're also at that mid-life, families, other interests portion of their lives), but they're not churning out "Sleeping By Myself" and "Let the Records Play".  It took 4+ years to get Backspacer.  It took 4 1/2 to get Backspacer Part 2,... whoops, I mean Lightning Bolt.  

I have tickets to Wrigley and later this year, but Christ... I've already done that twice.  When I heard "forthcoming album", I thought, "well good, finally I'll see some shows supporting a new album".  Now it's sounding like probably not. 

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    I used to be in the boat as long as they tour I’m good to go but now I can’t anymore to many Betterman’s , evenflows , RITFW , Yellowledbetter I won’t be attending any shows this year maybe in the future but for now I’m done ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,993
    Definitely agree they seem to be turning in to a nostalgia act these days. We don't know if it's by choice or not. The creative juices may have dried up...? Can't Deny Me isn't very encouraging if that's the best that they come up with after 4-5 years of no music.

But hey, I love these guys no matter what and will always appreciate what they've given us.
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    DOOM AND GLOOM
  • wnh1977wnh1977 Iowa Posts: 570
    I don't understand the "Don't Cry" or "Doom and Gloom" replies.  To me, questioning this band in the present day is calling a spade a spade.  I never thought this band would do the bare minimum to keep the "Pearl Jam" name going and have it continue being a revenue source.    I think the output from the past decade is disappointing, but that's because I believed that this band would always continue to create, evolve, etc.  Believe me, I'm not crying... just finding better, more inspired music elsewhere.
    1998: 6/26, 6/27, 6/29
    2000: 8/15, 8/18, 10/9, 10/11, 10/12
    2003: 6/18, 6/21, 6/22
    2005: 9/9, 9/28
    2006:5/16, 5/17, 6/26, 6/27
    2007: 8/5
    2009: 8/23, 8/24
    2010: 5/3, 5/4, 5/21
    2011: 9/3, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12
    2013: 7/19, 11/16
    2014: 10/3, 10/9, 10/12, 10/17
    2016: 4/16, 8/20, 8/22
    2018: 8/18, 8/20, 9/2
    2022: 9/18
    2023: 8/31, 9/2, 9/5
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    wnh1977 said:
    I don't understand the "Don't Cry" or "Doom and Gloom" replies.  To me, questioning this band in the present day is calling a spade a spade.  I never thought this band would do the bare minimum to keep the "Pearl Jam" name going and have it continue being a revenue source.    I think the output from the past decade is disappointing, but that's because I believed that this band would always continue to create, evolve, etc.  Believe me, I'm not crying... just finding better, more inspired music elsewhere.
    So much amazing music being created outside of the Pearl Jam bubble.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    I don't see it as doom and gloom, and I don't fault anyone for feeling the way they do. I was annoyed however by the Can't Deny Me experience. I'm not clamoring for new music, so to see so many people (not everyone, certainly, but many) take ten seconds to go from "GIVE US NEW MUSIC!!!" to "THIS MUSIC SUCKS!!!" was a bit irritating. I wasn't impressed by that song, but it wasn't something I was waiting for with a ton of excitement, either. When the album comes, it comes.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • mwplummwplum Posts: 1,501
    ^^Really? I've found that there's been a steady decline in good new music (particularly any music with guitars) over the past 5 years or so. Last year, I think the National and Wolf Parade's albums were the only ones I really liked. Out of interest, are you able to list 10 really great albums that have come out in the past year or two? Not saying this as a challenge, but rather out of interest, so that I can check them out.
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 806
    Out with the old, in with the new.  If you want an honest “guitar” band that isn’t trying to be “cool” and rocks your face off, check out Greta Van Fleet.  They give us hope for rock music in the future.
  • wnh1977wnh1977 Iowa Posts: 570
    mwplum said:
    ^^Really? I've found that there's been a steady decline in good new music (particularly any music with guitars) over the past 5 years or so. Last year, I think the National and Wolf Parade's albums were the only ones I really liked. Out of interest, are you able to list 10 really great albums that have come out in the past year or two? Not saying this as a challenge, but rather out of interest, so that I can check them out.
    Well, everybody's taste is different, so not sure exactly what you're a fan of.  Albums from the last couple years that I've really enjoyed are:
    • Jack White - Boarding House Reach
    • Queens of the Stone Age - Villains
    • Roger Waters - Is This The Life We Really Want?
    • Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool

1998: 6/26, 6/27, 6/29
    2000: 8/15, 8/18, 10/9, 10/11, 10/12
    2003: 6/18, 6/21, 6/22
    2005: 9/9, 9/28
    2006:5/16, 5/17, 6/26, 6/27
    2007: 8/5
    2009: 8/23, 8/24
    2010: 5/3, 5/4, 5/21
    2011: 9/3, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12
    2013: 7/19, 11/16
    2014: 10/3, 10/9, 10/12, 10/17
    2016: 4/16, 8/20, 8/22
    2018: 8/18, 8/20, 9/2
    2022: 9/18
    2023: 8/31, 9/2, 9/5
  • chiefnjkchiefnjk Posts: 301
    Still think surprise album is coming this year, folks.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited May 2018
    mwplum said:
    There is SO much great music being made, and not just by really well-known bands (though I am surprised you have only heard 2 new albums in an entire year that you liked.... perhaps that means you might be well-served by extending your reach in terms of what you're listening to). I find fantastic new songs and albums and artists consistently - literally on a daily basis. But to be fair, most don't have the kind of opportunity that I do to explore and discover all this amazing music that's being made ... I spend a good 30 hours a week seeking out and pouring over music I've never heard before, since I work in front of a computer all day with music going 80% of the time.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • raindog80raindog80 Reggio Emilia, Italy Posts: 1,141
    edited May 2018
    Deadman said:
    I’d rather have new songs over new tour dates.
    +1 
    Post edited by raindog80 on
    "I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things" - Tom Waits
    pearljamonline.it
    mwplum said:
    @mwplum

Erika Wennerstrom's new solo record. If you are into guitars, this has what you're seeking.
    The War On Drugs - A Deeper Understanding. Again, guitars, guitars, and guitars. Whole bunch of em'
    Albert Hammond Jr's new solo album. Holy shit guitar tornado by a guitar master.
    Nathanial Rateliff and the Night Sweats - Guitars and etc., to shake your ass to
    Calpurnia - 'City Boy' single. Little dude from Stranger Things has a band and they are pretty fucking good for a bunch of kids.
    The Districts - Popular Manipulations. Under the radar awesome band.
    Local Natives - Sunlit Youth. Your Sunday afternoon guitar record.
    The Beaches - Late Show. Stomperrific guitar record might make you run around your living room naked.
    The Hold Steady - "Eureka" single. An active guitar hero band.
    Bernard Fanning - Brutal Dawn. Lead singer for one of Australia's all time best rock band's 'Powderfinger' continues his solo journey with lots of guitars.

Gotta dig my friend. Stay off the damn radio.

www.cluthelee.com
    Spoon's last two records
    Ryan Adams Prisoner record.

So much guitar, so much good.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,765
    chiefnjk said:
    Still think surprise album is coming this year, folks.
    So do I 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Sarava said:
    Definitely agree they seem to be turning in to a nostalgia act these days. We don't know if it's by choice or not. The creative juices may have dried up...? Can't Deny Me isn't very encouraging if that's the best that they come up with after 4-5 years of no music.

But hey, I love these guys no matter what and will always appreciate what they've given us.
    Agreed. Although I think they've been a nostalgia act for about the last decade to everyone except the die hard fans like us.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • mvhessmvhess Posts: 19
    mwplum said:
    @mwplum

Erika Wennerstrom's new solo record. If you are into guitars, this has what you're seeking.
    The War On Drugs - A Deeper Understanding. Again, guitars, guitars, and guitars. Whole bunch of em'
    Albert Hammond Jr's new solo album. Holy shit guitar tornado by a guitar master.
    Nathanial Rateliff and the Night Sweats - Guitars and etc., to shake your ass to
    Calpurnia - 'City Boy' single. Little dude from Stranger Things has a band and they are pretty fucking good for a bunch of kids.
    The Beaches - Late Show. Stomperrific guitar record might make you run around your living room naked.
    Bernard Fanning - Brutal Dawn. Lead singer for one of Australia's all time best rock band's 'Powderfinger' continues his solo journey with lots of guitars.

Thanks man for the music to check out.  Listened to about half of these already.  The Districts are from the next county over from me..very good band.
  • Deadman said:
    JimmyV said:

Me too Deadman
    looking to hear of the earth
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    Wouldn't a nostalgia act be a band who wheels out the same 20 or so songs (maybe mixing up 2-3 songs) for 90 minutes each night?  I understand differing opinions and how some would prefer new music while others just want to see shows.  But when I think of nostalgia, I hardly think of Pearl Jam.  I think over the course of 2 nights in the same city, you'll likely see 50-60 different songs and a near 3 hour show each night.  Not what some of these current nostalgia acts are doing.  

I'm not so sure about that. They have about 15 or so songs they play most every show, and some of these tunes, I hate to say, are starting to not age well. It hurts to say that.

How about balance, some fans don't mind the hour plus of hits at the show, but also think new and fresh creativity is essential to a quality concert
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,971
    mwplum said:
    @mwplum

The new Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats album is probably my album of the year (right now).  It's so damn good.

And don't forget about the new Ben Harper/Charlie Musselwhite album - really good blues album. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1