Schizophrenia

2»

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    PJ_Soul said:
    Perhaps a lot more focus needs to be on preventing mental illness, where it can be prevented. Depression and debilitating anxiety, by far the most common mental illnesses that are preventing people from being consistently productive and functioning citizens and workers/earners, have skyrocketed in recent years. Who in the government is working to figure out why this huge increase is occurring, and then working towards actually cooperatively doing something meaningful about the causes/prevention? Nobody, that's who. Business is doing way more about it than the government is, and that's not saying much.
    I don’t see government’s role as trying to figure out the “whys”. There are people far more qualified to do that. I see government’s role more as funding the research into the whys, and then assisting to implement evidence-based recommendations. We already have part of that piece of the puzzle, of course; it’s the funding part that is a challenge. 
    Oh no, haha, I'm not suggesting politicians actually do the research, lol. I meant they need to fund the research, initiate the research/initiative for it to happen and devise a clear plan as to how the results/conclusions of said research are put into action in the healthcare system. Sorry, I thought that was implied.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Perhaps a lot more focus needs to be on preventing mental illness, where it can be prevented. Depression and debilitating anxiety, by far the most common mental illnesses that are preventing people from being consistently productive and functioning citizens and workers/earners, have skyrocketed in recent years. Who in the government is working to figure out why this huge increase is occurring, and then working towards actually cooperatively doing something meaningful about the causes/prevention? Nobody, that's who. Business is doing way more about it than the government is, and that's not saying much.
    I don’t see government’s role as trying to figure out the “whys”. There are people far more qualified to do that. I see government’s role more as funding the research into the whys, and then assisting to implement evidence-based recommendations. We already have part of that piece of the puzzle, of course; it’s the funding part that is a challenge. 
    Oh no, haha, I'm not suggesting politicians actually do the research, lol. I meant they need to fund the research, initiate the research/initiative for it to happen and devise a clear plan as to how the results/conclusions of said research are put into action in the healthcare system. Sorry, I thought that was implied.
    Yes, I knew you didn’t mean politicians doing it. What a gong show that would be ;). I thought maybe you were suggesting setting up government-run research programs, because the government is involved in research in other areas. I just think that would be an unnecessary duplication of effort. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yes, I knew you didn’t mean politicians doing it. What a gong show that would be ;). I thought maybe you were suggesting setting up government-run research programs, because the government is involved in research in other areas. I just think that would be an unnecessary duplication of effort. 
    Well, if that is necessary, then yes, that should be done. I actually have no idea if it would be an unnecessary duplication of effort... At the very least, the government would need to coordinate a way for current researchers to use their findings in a cooperative way with the government to put their solutions into action, and that is no small feat. I haven't read much about researchers specifically gearing their work towards how it can be implemented in a government-run setting...
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Well, if that is necessary, then yes, that should be done. I actually have no idea if it would be an unnecessary duplication of effort... At the very least, the government would need to coordinate a way for current researchers to use their findings in a cooperative way with the government to put their solutions into action, and that is no small feat. I haven't read much about researchers specifically gearing their work towards how it can be implemented in a government-run setting...
    We already have some good data regarding schizophrenia in particular. We know a fair amount about high risk states, what can trigger psychosis, and early intervention. There is a large number of EPI (early psychosis intervention) programs worldwide with good outcome data. We don’t need government to replicate these findings; we need more funding to staff and run these programs. 

And, of course, we know a huge amount about social determinants of health. We already know that social inequalities and housing insecurity and violence and a bunch of other things are strongly linked to mental illness. What we need is action on these. It seems that all levels of government are finally starting to consider acting on the housing crisis, which is a crucial step. No one is healthy when they are homeless. Having a safe home is a basic requirement for health. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Well the Australian government don't give a shit. No money allocated in this years budget towards mental health unless you are elderly.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014