Malaysia Airlines loses contact with passenger jet

18910111214»

Comments

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    About 10 days left before the Egypt Air black box stops sending signals. You would think that they would be able to find it since they know the relative area where it went down.

No wonder they never found the Malaysian Air black box ...
  • The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    I read through that article and all the comments and it has occurred to me this plane will remained one of the world's all time mysteries. Which makes this tragedy even worse.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    It's parked right next to the planes that crashed in PA and the Pentagon.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Langoliers, maybe?
  • seanwonseanwon Posts: 264
    I also read in a different article that the pilots airplane simulator at home showed that he was practicing this run out into the Indian ocean in the weeks leading up to the planes disappearance. That was kept kind of hush hush early on for some reason. So, it's not really a mystery what happened anymore. Pilot suicide. The only mystery is where exactly he put the plane down. Let's just hope he killed the air supply to the passengers so they didn't see their fate coming like in that other plane that was crashed into the mountains.
    1996: 9/29 Randall's Island 2,  10/1 Buffalo                  2000: 8/27 Saratoga Springs
    2003: 4/29 Albany,  5/2 Buffalo,  7/9 MSG 2                   2006: 5/12 Albany,  6/3 East Rutherford 2
    2008: 6/27 Hartford                 2009: 10/27 Philadelphia 1              2010: 5/15 Hartford,   5/21 MSG 2
    2013: 10/15 Worcester 1,  10/25 Hartford                       2014: 10/1 Cincinnati
    2016: 5/2 MSG 2,   8/5 Fenway 1,  11/7 Temple of the Dog MSG
    2018: 9/2 Fenway 1
    2020: 3/30 MSG             2022: 9/11 MSG            2023: 9/10 Noblesville
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    diego garcia!
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Did MH370's pilot take one last look at his hometown before he took the doomed plane down?

http://nationalpost.com/news/world/mh370-experts-think-theyve-finally-solved-the-mystery-of-the-doomed-malaysia-airlines-flight
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Holy crap.... Did I forget about the idea that the pilot killed everyone on purpose, or did I never know that's the leading theory?? Wasn't there another pilot who definitively did the same thing in the last few years?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    PJ_Soul said:
    Holy crap.... Did I forget about the idea that the pilot killed everyone on purpose, or did I never know that's the leading theory?? Wasn't there another pilot who definitively did the same thing in the last few years?
    The pilot of the Germanwings flight in 2015 deliberately crashed his plane. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    PJ_Soul said:
    The pilot of the Germanwings flight in 2015 deliberately crashed his plane. 
    Yeah, that's the one. So I'm hearing this theory for Flight 370 for the first time now.... kind of a big deal, I'm surprised it's not on the news more.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    There was an Egyptian Airlines pilot about 10 years ago that did the same thing too. I remember thinking it was so weird, huge news for several days. But when they recovered the black box and found that the pilot crashed on purpose it was like no one reported it.
    If I remember correctly, I think the pilot was just flying in the jump seat or something and pulled rank to take control, then crashed it.
    I think the theory, from within a few days of the plane going missing, was always pilot crashed it. That is the only thing that explains the tracking being turned off and the off-schedule route. Only other explanation is hijacking I guess.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mace1229 said:
    There was an Egyptian Airlines pilot about 10 years ago that did the same thing too. I remember thinking it was so weird, huge news for several days. But when they recovered the black box and found that the pilot crashed on purpose it was like no one reported it.
    If I remember correctly, I think the pilot was just flying in the jump seat or something and pulled rank to take control, then crashed it.
    I hope they always under report these events.
    Like sdhool shootings, I think some things are just Pandora jars, once they are open they can't be closed again.

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    Jeez, how does a pilot go so crazy as to do that?  I grew up in an airline family.  My father was an aeronautical engineer.   I had an uncle that was a long-time UAL pilot.  I know and have  met other pilots.  All the pilots I've ever met were/are very together people.  This is strange.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Scary really.

One takes a massive leap of faith hopping on a plane. Pilots are very under appreciated.

I don't fly very well. My arm rests take a beating during moments of turbulence. I've flown quite a bit. I've had some bad landings. I never used to give it a moment's thought, but I medicate mysef
    now.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    brianlux said:
    Jeez, how does a pilot go so crazy as to do that?  I grew up in an airline family.  My father was an aeronautical engineer.   I had an uncle that was a long-time UAL pilot.  I know and have  met other pilots.  All the pilots I've ever met were/are very together people.  This is strange.

A long time ago, I knew a pilot who committed suicide when advised that he could no longer fly due to medical reasons. However, he certainly took no one with him. Another pilot friend was in a horrible MVA and had a lengthy and painful rehab, but pushed through because of his desire to fly again. It seems that for some, the idea of losing flying is unbearable. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    Scary really.

One takes a massive leap of faith hopping on a plane. Pilots are very under appreciated.

I don't fly very well. My arm rests take a beating during moments of turbulence. I've flown quite a bit. I've had some bad landings. I never used to give it a moment's thought, but I medicate mysef
    now.
    I get it, for sure! 

I fly fine... a few inches off the ground.  I haven't been up in an airplane at all in the last 30 years.  A couple of close calls did it for me.  If I ever have to fly somewhere again, I will pay a visit to my doctor first.  Fix me up, Doc! 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

edited May 2018
    brianlux said:
    And that is still the same. Almost all pilots are very together people (even if they do suffer from depression). Thinking about how many pilots there are in the world (a lot!), that only 3 are known or thought to have done this is what's a bit more surprising to me.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    "It contradicts the theory of Australian air safety investigators, who believe the jet crashed into the water after it ran out of fuel, its pilots incapacitated"
    Never heard that first theory before, and it doesn't make any sense either. It had to be murder-suicide, either by tone of the pilots or someone who took over the plane.  Incapacitated pilots dont change direction and disable the tracking devices.
    Still nothing.
    Give Peas A Chance…