Supreme Court Allows for Sports Gambling Nationwide

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    brianlux said:
    :lol:

LOL, perfect.  I was thinking about Rose when I heard about this.  But I've always thought he should be in the BBHOF anyway.

Well....it doesn't mean players can bet on or against their own teams though....
    chinese-happy.jpg
    rgambs said:
    Wow people actually have bookies?
    I thought that was just in mob movies lol

It's actually really common
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    brianlux said:

LOL, perfect.  I was thinking about Rose when I heard about this.  But I've always thought he should be in the BBHOF anyway.

Well....it doesn't mean players can bet on or against their own teams though....
    True.  I just wish they had fined the guy instead of giving him what amounts to a life sentence.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

True.  I just wish they had fined the guy instead of giving him what amounts to a life sentence.
    A life sentence which he agreed to based on breaking the cardinal sin of baseball.
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Does this allow for single game sports betting?  A local politician has been trying to get single game betting in Canada for years...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Rose agreed to the suspension ... 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    MayDay10 said:
    I like it.  Im a supporter of legal and regulated gambling, prostitution, and also certain drugs.

I just hope it doesnt alter the live game experience where we have live gambling, teller windows, everyone in attendance focused only on their bets and cheering/rooting accordingly.  All I can picture is live sports becoming similar to attending horse racing.  

I also hope it doesnt increase the perceived "need" to dissect every millimeter with instant replay.  

I stopped online gambling.  Too much of a pain funding my account as well as taking funds away.  When GW Bush put his ignorant foot down on online poker, I lost over a hundred bucks (actually got lucky as I made a withdrawal before it happened).... so I never liked to keep funds in my account for long.  Paying international charges on my CC.... bad/clunky interfaces.  Security concerns, etc.

Legal domestic gambling, I will certainly participate in
    Really? I feel like this is just one step closer to the utter collapse of decency and makes Back to the Future II's future more possible. We already have President Biff and the continued push for sex, drugs and money in our society just seems to be getting more extreme.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Does this allow for single game sports betting?  A local politician has been trying to get single game betting in Canada for years...
    yes. currently only Vegas has it legally in the US but each state can now make their own decision on offering it.  At least 5 states already have laws on their books allowing it now that the federal ban has been lifted.  New Jersey should have it rolling within a month or two.  Others states to follow.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    rgambs said:
    Wow people actually have bookies?
    I thought that was just in mob movies lol
    Haha, me too!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    tbergs said:
    MayDay10 said:
    I like it.  Im a supporter of legal and regulated gambling, prostitution, and also certain drugs.

I just hope it doesnt alter the live game experience where we have live gambling, teller windows, everyone in attendance focused only on their bets and cheering/rooting accordingly.  All I can picture is live sports becoming similar to attending horse racing.  

I also hope it doesnt increase the perceived "need" to dissect every millimeter with instant replay.  

I stopped online gambling.  Too much of a pain funding my account as well as taking funds away.  When GW Bush put his ignorant foot down on online poker, I lost over a hundred bucks (actually got lucky as I made a withdrawal before it happened).... so I never liked to keep funds in my account for long.  Paying international charges on my CC.... bad/clunky interfaces.  Security concerns, etc.

Really? I feel like this is just one step closer to the utter collapse of decency and makes Back to the Future II's future more possible. We already have President Biff and the continued push for sex, drugs and money in our society just seems to be getting more extreme.
    how is betting on a sporting event indecent?
    pharmaceuticals prescribed from your doctor are just as harmful as most recreational drugs.
    maybe legalizing prostitution is heading down that indecency path, but i don't think that will ever be close to legal  on a national basis in this country.

tbergs said:
    MayDay10 said:

You are forgetting one of the most important parts of Back to the Future if you think legalizing sports gambling brings society closer to that kind of future, lol.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    tbergs said:
    MayDay10 said:

Do you feel that way about Europe? It's been legal there for as long as I can remember.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    pjhawks said:
    tbergs said:
    MayDay10 said:

pharmaceuticals prescribed from your doctor are just as harmful as most recreational drugs.
    maybe legalizing prostitution is heading down that indecency path, but i don't think that will ever be close to legal  on a national basis in this country.

Call me an old curmudgeon, but I don't associate anything positive with betting. It is just another way for the rich to get richer and ensnare the low income people with a fantasy of hitting it big with that long shot bet. I understand that it already happens and much like drugs and sex, is already occurring illegally with limited controls in place, but that doesn't make it any better. We seem to have so many vices and nothing is going to make betting go away so I guess this is a best case scenario. It doesn't ever seem like anything is considered besides the money when things like this are passed. 

I know how bad legal drugs are and I'm not opposed to marijuana being legal because we already have gone down that path with all the bad shit that is prescribed.
    edited May 2018
    tbergs said:
    MayDay10 said:

Do you feel that way about Europe? It's been legal there for as long as I can remember.
    Their sports are also extremely crooked, so not sure it's the best example.  Soccer, tennis, etc.  All have significant match fixing.

I like this being up to the states, but I don't know about how great of an idea it is extremely wide spread.
    tbergs said:
    MayDay10 said:

I don't think about it in terms of countries. To me, it's a sign of our society and what we are willing to legalize because it is a money maker. I find it disappointing that it seems to be how we are wired in general.
    tbergs said:
    pjhawks said:
    tbergs said:
    MayDay10 said:

Call me an old curmudgeon, but I don't associate anything positive with betting. It is just another way for the rich to get richer and ensnare the low income people with a fantasy of hitting it big with that long shot bet. I understand that it already happens and much like drugs and sex, is already occurring illegally with limited controls in place, but that doesn't make it any better. We seem to have so many vices and nothing is going to make betting go away so I guess this is a best case scenario. It doesn't ever seem like anything is considered besides the money when things like this are passed. 

I know how bad legal drugs are and I'm not opposed to marijuana being legal because we already have gone down that path with all the bad shit that is prescribed.

you're an old curmudgeon
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I don't see it as an immoral or indecent act, but it makes me think of immature frat boys and grizzled old skanks.
    But, then again, I smoke weed and jerk off a bunch so plenty of people would judge me just the same lol

Side note, I came up with this theory a while back and it goes something like this...
    When something appeals overwhelmingly to only one sex, that should be a red flag that it's not so great.
    Sports gambling would fall under that category for me.
    I don't mean it as a harsh rule written in stone, more like an observation on things that appeal to our baser selves.  
    I think it was heavy metal and paperback romances that spawned the idea.  
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    tbergs said:
    MayDay10 said:

Their sports are also extremely crooked, so not sure it's the best example.  Soccer, tennis, etc.  All have significant match fixing.

I like this being up to the states, but I don't know about how great of an idea it is extremely wide spread.
    legalizing gambling has no baring on whether someone will fix a match or not. most matches are fixed by low life on the illegal side of things anyways.  plus (almost?) every major betting scandal in this country has been uncovered by Vegas noticing strange betting patterns in games. 
    pjhawks said:
    tbergs said:
    MayDay10 said:

legalizing gambling has no baring on whether someone will fix a match or not. most matches are fixed by low life on the illegal side of things anyways.  plus (almost?) every major betting scandal in this country has been uncovered by Vegas noticing strange betting patterns in games. 
    So there is no correlation to the fact that sports gambling has been legal for years in Europe (juggs point) and the fact that their sports are often the main targets of fixing?  Seems like a stretch to me.
    pjhawks said:
    tbergs said:
    MayDay10 said:

So there is no correlation to the fact that sports gambling has been legal for years in Europe (juggs point) and the fact that their sports are often the main targets of fixing?  Seems like a stretch to me.
    i don't know the exact answer to that but to me it's hard to see a correlation from the outside based on what has occurred here.  sports gambling has been illegal in this country forever and no 10-year period goes by without a gambling scandal. it wasn't very long ago an NBA official was fixing games. college hoops and college football have had numerous players implicated over the years.  my point is that those fixing games are fixing them whether it's legal or not in my opinion.  
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    tbergs said:
    pjhawks said:
    tbergs said:
    MayDay10 said:

The lottery is 50 times worse than anything to do with sports betting.  That along with casinos, OTBs and horse tracks everywhere and there is already a shitload of legal gambling taking place every single day all over the country.  It's estimated $150 billion is bet on sports illegally every year so why not regulate it???
    edited May 2018
    tbergs said:
    pjhawks said:
    tbergs said:
    MayDay10 said:

If you don't associate anything postive with betting, are you perhaps forgetting about where the proceeds from gambling go? They are very useful and helpful in your society that you're concerned about protecting. Also, what about fun?? Most people who gamble are just regular, decent people who are spending a bit of money for entertainment. It's not different than dropping $100 on a night out. Most people just have a nice regular time. And a few alcoholics blow all the money on booze, get trashed, and smash something. Are you a tee-totaller too?
    PJ_Soul said:
    tbergs said:
    pjhawks said:
    tbergs said:
    MayDay10 said:

If you don't associate anything postive with betting, are you perhaps forgetting about where the proceeds from gambling go? They are very useful and helpful in your society that you're concerned about protecting. Also, what about fun?? Most people who gamble are just regular, decent people who are spending a bit of money for entertainment. It's not different than dropping $100 on a night out. Most people just have a nice regular time. And a few alcoholics blow all the money on booze, get trashed, and smash something. Are you a tee-totaller too?
    Ok, yes, the regulation can allow for taxes to be used for good, but in the end I wonder the balance of pro to con? Not something we would ever really be able to determine. Maybe 1,000 people get addicted, go in to debt and either commit suicide or completely destroy their life, but the taxes allowed us to build a new school. Is that better? I really don't know. Like I said, I think there is a line we are walking where it comes down to what we really value and betting doesn't seem to promote the common good, at least to me.

A question I have been pondering, when does the common interest of people who find something fun make it an acceptable form of entertainment? There are a lot of things that people find entertaining, but that doesn't mean we should support or legalize it.
    tbergs said:
    pjhawks said:
    tbergs said:
    MayDay10 said:

The lottery is 50 times worse than anything to do with sports betting.  That along with casinos, OTBs and horse tracks everywhere and there is already a shitload of legal gambling taking place every single day all over the country.  It's estimated $150 billion is bet on sports illegally every year so why not regulate it???
    Completely agree. The lottery is a shit show. I grew up low income and my parents bought scratch offs and powerball tickets. It's not that they are/were dumb, but they bought in to the I could be the one in a million to hit it rich. I absolutely can't stand casinos.

As for the reason to regulate, then why not make everything legal because there is a huge pile of money in cocaine, heroin, human sex trafficking, kiddie porn, etc. I know those are extreme examples, but we could be making lots of money if we regulated those recreational activities we know people have fun doing.
    edited May 2018

tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    tbergs said:
    pjhawks said:
    tbergs said:
    MayDay10 said:

Ok, yes, the regulation can allow for taxes to be used for good, but in the end I wonder the balance of pro to con? Not something we would ever really be able to determine. Maybe 1,000 people get addicted, go in to debt and either commit suicide or completely destroy their life, but the taxes allowed us to build a new school. Is that better? I really don't know. Like I said, I think there is a line we are walking where it comes down to what we really value and betting doesn't seem to promote the common good, at least to me.

A question I have been pondering, when does the common interest of people who find something fun make it an acceptable form of entertainment? There are a lot of things that people find entertaining, but that doesn't mean we should support or legalize it.
    Are you anti-choice? I'm just asking because part of the pro-choice perspective is that abortion needs to be legal because making it illegal doesn't stop abortions, it just makes them dangerous. I would say the same about gambling. People aren't going to stop gambling just because it's illegal. They will just gamble under greater risk and greater losses. Same can be said about alcohol. The US already knows what happens when you make it illegal in an effort to make society more moral. It doesn't work so well! Regulation is always better than prohibition IMO (with the personal exception of monetizing/buying and selling actual human beings, which is why I'm anti-slavery and anti-prostitution... although even I still fully acknowledge the arguments for legalizing prostitution as valid and reasonable and hard to counter).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    pjhawks said:
    yes. currently only Vegas has it legally in the US but each state can now make their own decision on offering it.  At least 5 states already have laws on their books allowing it now that the federal ban has been lifted.  New Jersey should have it rolling within a month or two.  Others states to follow.
    That's great.  I assume Casinos in Detroit will beloved single sports betting.  A great reason to head to Detroit.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited May 2018
    Sorry, I don't think I've read this whole thread. Has everyone already discussed how the NBA is claiming they have a right to some of the proceeds of gambling on the NBA now? What do you folks think about that? I think it's absolutely fucking stupid myself. I'm curious to hear arguments for it though.
    PJ_Soul said:

tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    tbergs said:
    pjhawks said:
    tbergs said:
    MayDay10 said:

Are you anti-choice? I'm just asking because part of the pro-choice perspective is that abortion needs to be legal because making it illegal doesn't stop abortions, it just makes them dangerous. I would say the same about gambling. People aren't going to stop gambling just because it's illegal. They will just gamble under greater risk and greater losses. Same can be said about alcohol. The US already knows what happens when you make it illegal in an effort to make society more moral. It doesn't work so well! Regulation is always better than prohibition IMO (with the personal exception of monetizing/buying and selling actual human beings, which is why I'm anti-slavery and anti-prostitution... although even I still fully acknowledge the arguments for legalizing prostitution as valid and reasonable and hard to counter).
    Yeah, I see your point. I am pro-choice. My problem is that the world is one way and I want it to be the other (Partially stolen line from Marlo Stanfield) :lol:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Sorry, I don't think I've read this whole thread. Has everyone already discussed how the NBA is claiming they have a right to some of the proceeds of gambling on the NBA now? What do you folks think about that? I think it's absolutely fucking stupid myself. I'm curious to hear arguments for it though.
    Yes I believe they deserve to take a cut. i think they are asking for 1%. I find that reasonable. it's their game they should benefit from it. secondly it will force them into more oversight into doing everything they can to keep the integrity of the game as fair as possible.   
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    cutz said:
    Guess they were tired of all the money being spent on illegal gambling and decided to finally take their piece of the pie. 
    It won't get rid of illegal gambling, far from it.

Why am I going to go to a legal place out of my way when I can head to my local watering hole and just fill out a ticket?
    I never said it would get rid of illegal gambling, just that the federal and state governments will want their cuts now.
    Exactly the reason that illegal gambling will remain king.

Don't forget that the leagues are going to want a piece too!
    Agree, but i also think another reason illegal gambling will still be rampant, is that you bet with a Bookey on credit, unlike legal gambling.

Agreed. I don't think it's going to change the way I bet unless I'm in AC. Why would I want to pay taxes on my winnings if I don't have to?

But AC trips just got a lot more entertaining. 
    Yeah, IMAGINE how AC would've been with  the Eagles in the Super Bowl? I think it may have sold out every Hotel with people making it a Party weekend.