The Concept of God

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    RYME said:
    If there is a god, why does he/she allow the horrors of this world to occur?
    God is not at all happy about the horrors and wickedness that occur in this world.  Jesus came the first time with the purpose of being crucified.  He did it for you and I and all (yes all)  who will accept Him, and the price He paid on the cross, for our sins.  He paid our sin debt in full if we will just accept that, that's all He's asking.  It's very hard for a lot of people to comprehend that all he really wants from us is love.  He's having a hard time getting it from lot of folks.
    John 3:16
    For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever, believeth in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life.
    Jesus is coming back again.  I think it's going to be sooner rather than later.  And it will only take about 15 minutes, and all the horrible and wickedness of this world are going to be overturned in a big big way.  This is what Christians are looking forward to.  Justice will be done.  All the terrible people of the world are going to be put in their place and and it's going to be a great day. 
    Jesus is not coming back again as a baby to be crucified again, that has been done already.  This time He's coming back to rule as King of Kings and Lord of Lords.  The wicked are going to feel the full weight of God's Wrath.
    Those who love him will not have 1 hair on their head singed.  Nothing to fear.
    Some people might scoff at this and that's fine with me, I have no problem with that.
    But if there is even one or two out there who gain some comfort from this, that's what I hope for, the more the merrier.
    This song by Johnny Cash sums it up pretty well.  When The Man Comes Around.
    https://youtu.be/k9IfHDi-2EA
    You didn't even come close to answering the question you quoted.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    KC138045 said:
    What if God was one of us?
    Just a slob like one of us?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPDaz6uO9Ps
    Hahaha. I love that scene.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    RYME said:
    God is not at all happy about the horrors and wickedness that occur in this world.  Jesus came the first time with the purpose of being crucified.  He did it for you and I and all (yes all)  who will accept Him, and the price He paid on the cross, for our sins.  He paid our sin debt in full if we will just accept that, that's all He's asking.  It's very hard for a lot of people to comprehend that all he really wants from us is love.  He's having a hard time getting it from lot of folks.
    For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever, believeth in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life.
    Jesus is coming back again.  I think it's going to be sooner rather than later.  And it will only take about 15 minutes, and all the horrible and wickedness of this world are going to be overturned in a big big way.  This is what Christians are looking forward to.  Justice will be done.  All the terrible people of the world are going to be put in their place and and it's going to be a great day. 
    Jesus is not coming back again as a baby to be crucified again, that has been done already.  This time He's coming back to rule as King of Kings and Lord of Lords.  The wicked are going to feel the full weight of God's Wrath.
    Some people might scoff at this and that's fine with me, I have no problem with that.
    But if there is even one or two out there who gain some comfort from this, that's what I hope for, the more the merrier.
    If you actually believed any of that you wouldn't be a Trump supporter and neither would Jesus
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Smellyman said:
    RYME said:
    If you actually believed any of that you wouldn't be a Trump supporter and neither would Jesus
    “Prosperity gospel”, don’t ya know?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    Smellyman said:
    RYME said:
    Trump has got nothing to do with it.
    With regards as to why there is suffering, that is a good question, and difficult to answer.  I certainly don't have all the answers.  You are right everything i said didn't address the question.  Sorry.  I was trying to point out that all of the pain, suffering & horror is going to come to an abrupt end soon.
    It's a question that is asked all the time.
     This here, explains it better than I can.
    https://www.premierchristianity.com/Past-Issues/2016/July-2016/3-reasons-why-God-allows-suffering

edited May 2018
    Have a great weekend to all y'all... :)
    Post edited by RYME on
    In the middle of reading a chapter of a book and it says 9/10 Americans believe in God.
    Dear me. 
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    In the middle of reading a chapter of a book and it says 9/10 Americans believe in God.
    Dear me. 
    Our national motto is "In God we trust."  I can see why people like that thought- to be able to rely on an omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent and benevolent power that has our best interest in mind.  But that fact of that matter is, this is at best wishful thinking.  There's no way we can verify such a being.  What we can verify, what is visible and tangible and consistent with the basic laws of physics and nature as we know them is what we often refer to as Mother Nature.  If we understand the basic concepts of how she works and live within those parameters, we would have something far more dependable on which to trust.

I think we need to change our motto to "In Mother Nature we trust" and then start living like we mean it.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    RYME said:
    If you were born and raised in Riyadh or Tokyo you would NOT be a Christian, therefore you would not accept Jesus as your lord and savior, and you would be burning in hell with me... 

Have a great weekend :)
    Also, Jesus isn't coming back, so dont hold your breath! lol
    Caliban Upon Setebos by Robert Browning

I'm sure I must have posted at least a piece of it in this thread, it's a bloody brilliant musing on the nature of God.  
    I was thinking of it today as I was dispatching chickens and wondering if I seem like a God to them.  
    my2hands said:
    RYME said:
    If you were born and raised in Riyadh or Tokyo you would NOT be a Christian, therefore you would not accept Jesus as your lord and savior, and you would be burning in hell with me... 

I never said that you or anyone else is going to hell.  Show me where I said that.
    There are Christians in many parts of the world where Christianity is not at all popular, & or there is not freedom of religion.  Declaring your self a Christian in some parts of the world will get you & your family killed.  So the Christians in those places can't wear it on the're sleeve or be open about it.  But they are around.
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    RYME said:

Setting aside whether or not people really believe this, logistically, how would this even be possible? There are over 7000 different languages spoken in the world today - could Jesus communicate with every one of them?
    Not to mention that there are over 4000 recognised ‘religions’ (or belief systems, or faiths, whichever phrase you choose) - is everyone who has a religion going to just change their beliefs or suffer “the full weight of God’s Wrath”? If Christianity accounts for roughly 31% of all believers, what will happen to the rest of us?

Not trying to be facetious, or argumentative, just playing a little (for want if a better phrase) devil’s advocate with some of your assertions that I can’t get my head around.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    RYME said:
    my2hands said:
    RYME said:

I never said that you or anyone else is going to hell.  Show me where I said that.
    There are Christians in many parts of the world where Christianity is not at all popular, & or there is not freedom of religion.  Declaring your self a Christian in some parts of the world will get you & your family killed.  So the Christians in those places can't wear it on the're sleeve or be open about it.  But they are around.
    You dont have to say it, your religion says it, and is centered on this belief 

And you said... in regards to the return of Jesus..

"The wicked are going to feel the full weight of God's wrath. Those who love him will not have 1 hair on their head singed. Nothing to fear"

You and your religion look down on non-christians... so my job as a non-Christian in a majority Christian country is to let you know that your religion and its hypocritical and judgemental believers are full of shit... You're not special, or better than anyone... 

Also... Jesus would have despised your boy Donsld Trump... and likely would have voted for Bernie :)
    brianlux said:
    Dear me. 
    Our national motto is "In God we trust."  I can see why people like that thought- to be able to rely on an omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent and benevolent power that has our best interest in mind.  But that fact of that matter is, this is at best wishful thinking.  There's no way we can verify such a being.  What we can verify, what is visible and tangible and consistent with the basic laws of physics and nature as we know them is what we often refer to as Mother Nature.  If we understand the basic concepts of how she works and live within those parameters, we would have something far more dependable on which to trust.

I think we need to change our motto to "In Mother Nature we trust" and then start living like we mean it.
    I cringed when watching the celebrations to the recent Superbowl, too many "thanks/praise to god bla bla bla" by the players and coach.
    edited May 2018
    goldrush said:
    RYME said:

Setting aside whether or not people really believe this, logistically, how would this even be possible? There are over 7000 different languages spoken in the world today - could Jesus communicate with every one of them?
    Not to mention that there are over 4000 recognised ‘religions’ (or belief systems, or faiths, whichever phrase you choose) - is everyone who has a religion going to just change their beliefs or suffer “the full weight of God’s Wrath”? If Christianity accounts for roughly 31% of all believers, what will happen to the rest of us?

Not trying to be facetious, or argumentative, just playing a little (for want if a better phrase) devil’s advocate with some of your assertions that I can’t get my head around.
    There is a lot to unpack there, good questions.  I appreciate your politeness about it.  I'll take a swing at it.
    I certainly don't claim to know it all.  There are some questions that no one but God Himself can answer.  (Wouldn't you just love to have a sit-down with Him just asking everything you would like to have answers to.  A lot of the answers to Life's most probing questions are in the Bible.  I saw that "academic video" posted above,,, the Bible clearly states that we are to be careful if you live along the isles.(coastal regions and waterways). The earth quakes once in a while, and rivers swell.  (Don't blame God for that tsunami that hit Japan.  There was a big quake out in the ocean and it  sent a big big wave that direction it's unfortunate, but God didn't do it to them. Sometimes people are in the wrong place at the wrong time) 
    God is very intelligent.  
    1.  Yes He created all the different languages.  The Tower of Babel which would take too long to explain here, is when He twisted the toungs/languages, originating all the different languages.  I think there were 5 root languages, and about 7000 whatever languages spun off from there.  Prior to that they pretty much all spoke the same language.  (I think all of this cloning business that we hear about, is the modern day version of the Tower of Babel, but that's a discussion for another day.)
    The cloven toung or Pentecostal toung (Pente - 5) is when words are spoken by the Holy Spirit, which is Christ's Spirit but then the words are simultaneously, universally understood right down to the dialect of the county you (individuals around the world) were born in.  It will be crystal clear in all ears.
    2.  God did not intend for there to be 4000+ different religions to emerge.
    Christianity is not a religion, it's reality.
    All the other religions, divisions, denominations, we're invented, twisted, and morphed into the 4000+ different religions by mankind.  (Traditions of men)
    So the people that say religion was invented by mankind are correct.
    God is very fair.  
    The truly wicked, evil, and vile ones will feel the full wrath.  
    Satin hates people like me who are out here, attempting to blow his cover.  Satin would like to go unnoticed, untalked about, always in the shadows out of sight out of mind.  Satin is at the root of everything Godless.  Satin the devil, wants as many people as possible to follow anyting and everything but God.  Any shiny objects he can find to keep people's eyes off the ball,  to, get them to follow anything as long as it's not Jesus Christ.
    Many, many people around the globe have never had the chance to hear the full unfiltered truth. 
    That's what the millennium is for.
    The millennium is the 1,000 year period starting the day Christ returns.  (Otherwise known as the 2nd advent)
    The return of Jesus is going to be awesome enough to convert a lot of folks right then and there.  Apon His return all knees shall bow.  That's how awesome it's going to be.  The Good The Bad and The Ugly everyone of God's roughly 12 billion souls/children will bow simultaneously it's going to be an awesome awesome sight.
     The day Christ returns isn't judgement day.  Judgement day is the last day of the millennium.
    I don't know what the number is.  So I'll take your number. 31%
    I'm talking about during the Millennium now, 
    Let's say it's 31% are Christians, 69% are other.  We have 1,000 years to teach the the others what they need to know, and what the real truth is with out satin there to confuse and trip up everybody.  During the millennium, satin is going to be locked up in such a way that not even his evil spirit can get out and and wreak havoc on people like he's doing all over the world right now.
    At the end of the Millennium Satan will be released again, one more time, for a short time.  Those people say 69% that never had the chance, or were blinded to the truth, while in the flesh, at the end of the millennium (the 1,000 year period) will have had every opportunity, to learn and know the truth and come to the Lord.
    If they still reject Jesus and still choose to follow Satan after all that, that's when it's over for them.  Hell is not some place of eternal fiery torture where they fry like a piece of bacon as many would have you believe.  Rather it's a state of non-existence blotted out.
    Judgement day is the last day of the millennium. It's payday for those who love Christ, Our Father and all that is good, those who have overcome
    pre-millennium and during, the millennium.  The bible says many many will overcome during the millennium. (what a great thing).I don't know how far I should try to go into this.  But I feel it's worth a try to explain our existence in the first place.
    There are 3 World ages.  One before this one, this one, & one to come.  If you can wrap your head around this concept, things will make more sense to you.  I don't know why but most Christian preachers never get around to explaining this.  Either they are avoiding it because they think it's to complicated, or they don't understand it themselves.
    What I'm about to explain here is in the Bible, but . it takes a deep study to get it.
    It's going to take me a little while to explain this, so I'm going to finish here and star a new "comment"
    This thread went dormant for a while, I thought I wasn't going to worry about it anymore.  But somebody brought it back up.  And I was going to stay out of it this time.  But I can't help it.  I think the concept of God thread comes about for a reason.  I think someone is interested at least, wants to know about God.  It's going to take me a little while.  But I'm going to attempt to explain the three World ages.
    Post edited by RYME on
    edited May 2018
    RYME said:
    goldrush said:
    RYME said:

If they still reject Jesus and still choose to follow Satan after all that, that's when it's over for them.  
    So if you reject Jesus you follow satan?  that's total horseshit.... you look down on non-christians... you think you are somehow superior to non-christians... that's what your religion and its followers does...  it's the foundation of your beliefs... you are no better than a white supremacist or someone who believes males are superior to females... 

And you want me to be polite? Lol, get the fuck outta here... I'm more polite,  have more empathy,  and judge people far less than any Christian I know... maybe YOU guys need to mind YOUR manners

Your religion and its followers are judgemental fools... don't get your feelings hurt when I let you know... because us non-believers have been judged and looked down upon for far too long in this country... time to start calling out your bullshit

https://youtu.be/DhODYyZVL6Y
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • brianlux said:
    Dear me. 

I cringed when watching the celebrations to the recent Superbowl, too many "thanks/praise to god bla bla bla" by the players and coach.

A friend of mine who played professional football told me of 'The God Squad': religious guys from both teams who would meet on the field, join hands, and pray after games.

Thing is... The God Squad was rife with thugs- some of the worst human beings the league had to offer.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    One of my greatest childhood memories is when my Mom finally stopped waking me up for church on Sunday. Thanks Mom and Happy Mothers Day!

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

My 2 Hands, I didn't ask anyone to be polite to me.  I thanked goldrush for the polite questions.  He or she asked me to answer a few questions.  Everything I said is in the Bible.  The bible isn't politically correct.
    I understand your anger at me though.
    I was going to continue about the 3 world ages.  But I think I'll hold off on that.  

Personally, I wouldn't demand shows of fealty from my son, because I love him truly and unconditionally, like a REAL father does.  None of this "fawn over me or I will burn you forever" bulkshit.
    Why allow Satan?? (Satin is a fabric, btw)

Would you send men to try to seduce your wife to test her loyalty?  No, because that's fucked up, psychotic behavior.  Would you hire someone to try to get your kids to turn on you so you could torture them?  No, because that's fucked up, psychotic behavior.

"Hell is not some place of eternal fiery torture where they fry like a piece of bacon as many would have you believe." 
    Bullshit, that's exactly what the Bible says it is.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    rgambs said:
    Personally, I wouldn't demand shows of fealty from my son, because I love him truly and unconditionally, like a REAL father does.  None of this "fawn over me or I will burn you forever" bulkshit.
    Why allow Satan?? (Satin is a fabric, btw)

Would you send men to try to seduce your wife to test her loyalty?  No, because that's fucked up, psychotic behavior.  Would you hire someone to try to get your kids to turn on you so you could torture them?  No, because that's fucked up, psychotic behavior.

"Hell is not some place of eternal fiery torture where they fry like a piece of bacon as many would have you believe." 
    Bullshit, that's exactly what the Bible says it is.
    I think hell is life on earth... some of the time anyway, and more so for some than others.   To me, the trick to staying out of hell is to acknowledge when you're in it, get by as best you can while you are in it, and keep in mind that better days are ahead and that some of those days will be quite heavenly.  I sometimes wonder if we invented hell because we don't know how else to deal with people who are evil in nature.  We don't want to accept the idea that when Hitler or Caligula or Pol Pot died they just died and didn't suffer some kind of eternal retribution.  Yes, that is too bad but I suppose the retribution is infamy.  Besides, most people are benign, many are good, some are great.  What is their reward?  Probably just knowing they did the right thing as often as possible.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    Dear me. 

A friend of mine who played professional football told me of 'The God Squad': religious guys from both teams who would meet on the field, join hands, and pray after games.

Thing is... The God Squad was rife with thugs- some of the worst human beings the league had to offer.
    Typical of most religious people, biggest hypocrites. 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Why waste so much time talking about something you don’t believe in? Especially if you have a closed mind on the subject. 
    What an ironic question.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited May 2018
    Dear me. 
    Yeah, the USA is pretty darn religious compared to a lot of the developed world, but it still doesn't even rank in the top 50 most religious nations (i.e. the highest percentage of population that identifies as religious). In a lot of countries the number is up at 95 - 99%. I don't really see that as the most relevant stat though. What I think is much more relevant would be stats related to the level of fanaticism or evangelicalism of those religious people. I feel like the US might not rank super high there, but the problem is that those who are fanatics have a very disproportionate amount of power and influence in the USA compared to most other developed countries, because conservatives aren't together enough (or too fearful) to acknowledge the value of the separation of church and state, even if they aren't fanatics. If history is any indication, fanatical minorities often exert more power than seems reasonable, and I think it's because fanatics are willing to do shit that decent folks aren't filling to do. The terrible divisiveness in the USA keeps non-fanatic conservatives choosing religious influence in politics over less conservative governance. It's a real shame.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    Dear me. 
    Yeah, the USA is pretty darn religious compared to a lot of the developed world, but it still doesn't even rank in the top 50 most religious nations (i.e. the highest percentage of population that identifies as religious). In a lot of countries the number is up at 95 - 99%. I don't really see that as the most relevant stat though. What I think is much more relevant would be stats related to the level of fanaticism or evangelicalism of those religious people. I feel like the US might not rank super high there, but the problem is that those who are fanatics have a very disproportionate amount of power and influence in the USA compared to most other developed countries, because conservatives aren't together enough (or too fearful) to acknowledge the value of the separation of church and state, even if they aren't fanatics. If history is any indication, fanatical minorities often exert more power than seems reasonable, and I think it's because fanatics are willing to do shit that decent folks aren't filling to do. The terrible divisiveness in the USA keeps non-fanatic conservatives choosing religious influence in politics over less conservative governance. It's a real shame.
    It sucks. Church and state are scary.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    I don't see how anyone calling themselves a Christian could support tRump.  Makes absolutely no sense.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    I don't see how anyone calling themselves a Christian could support tRump.  Makes absolutely no sense.
    Yes. I could see if they were open about it being a "hold your nose and vote" sort of thing, in order to reach the holy grail of no abortion, but it isn't even that. Most seem downright enthusiastic, despite the fact that Trump is the antithesis of all that Christians are supposed to hold dear. Greedy, vain, insulting, and without a charitable bone is his body.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Yes. I could see if they were open about it being a "hold your nose and vote" sort of thing, in order to reach the holy grail of no abortion, but it isn't even that. Most seem downright enthusiastic, despite the fact that Trump is the antithesis of all that Christians are supposed to hold dear. Greedy, vain, insulting, and without a charitable bone is his body.
    Doesn't go to church...cheats on his wife, hardly visits her in the fucking hospital, treats disabled and poor people like dogshit, etc.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville