Of the frequent commenters here, What is your education level?

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    brianlux said:
    There are people with advanced degrees who believe in anthopogenic global warming and people with advanced degrees who do not believe in anthropogenic global warming.  So the fact is, college degrees "don't mean shit to a tree*".

*I believe it was Grace Slick who came up with that great line.
    But for a tree, that would be a good thing, right? Fertilizer?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited May 2018
    Graduated with an undergrad
    I'm wondering why you are interested in knowing this. If you see that I have an associates degree, would that make my opinion or points any more or less valid than someone with a degree in your mind? 

I'm not trying to bust your balls, I just find it strange that you would want to know this info. 
    Yeah, it's kind of an odd poll. Especially the way it is aimed at only the frequent users in the AMT.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    I don't see an option on the poll for high school dropouts like Eddie Vedder... just sayin, Eddie may want to participate in this little charade  
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    and yet another poll where "none of your fucking business" isnt an option.......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Some college
    if you think it's none of his fucking business, then your option is to not answer and move on, right?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited May 2018
    Some of the options overlap. High school graduate and never went to college could be the same thing, and "I read on my own" could apply to any or all of the respondents. Also, there is no option for trade school or professional education. 

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Post grad
    mace1229 said:
    BA - chemistry
    MA - secondary education
    You teach high school?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Business Administration degree. Have considered going back for my MBA but never did it. Probably never will. 
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    Post grad
    hedonist said:
    mickeyrat said:
    why does it matter?
    Amen.

One semester of college and I'm doing just fine in life.

Fuck knows that lacking a degree doesn't make me feel dumb or uneducated.  Life'll learn ya!

(gambo - :peace: )
    You uneducated bunch sure are sensitive ;)
    :lol: was waiting for that one!
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    Post grad
    not using my master's degree. a long time ago i thought i wanted to be a collegiate athletic director. did an internship and fucking hated it. was too late to change masters' programs. i am so glad i am doing something else with my life. even though i hate that too. 
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    edited May 2018
    I read on my own
    I never finished HS. Did some tech school stuff later, on the company dime. 
    Post edited by Drowned Out on
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Post grad
    brianlux said:
    There are people with advanced degrees who believe in anthopogenic global warming and people with advanced degrees who do not believe in anthropogenic global warming.  So the fact is, college degrees "don't mean shit to a tree*".

*I believe it was Grace Slick who came up with that great line.
    But for a tree, that would be a good thing, right? Fertilizer?
    Ha ha!  Good retort!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Post grad
    Perfect example of a college degree not needed to be intelligent, educated (self, if not through  school), smart and wise.  You are all of these!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,587
    I have a bachelors in psychology and a masters in counseling. Both were invaluable and life altering, and I use them everyday. 
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I have a bachelors in psychology and a masters in counseling. Both were invaluable and life altering, and I use them everyday. 
    That is my fallback if I do not get accepted into postgrad in psychology.
    Do you currently work as a counsellor?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Your life is my fallback.
    :lol:
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Kev - Coat and KeysKev - Coat and Keys Earth Posts: 357
    Post grad
    I have a doctorate as part of my three mathematics based degrees, but I am not sure I am necessarily a frequent user here?
    I was a research scientist for a while, but sadly I have fallen back to some part-time teaching.

So I agree with the saying 'a PhD and $4 will get you a cup of coffee.' 
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    I read on my own
    brianlux said:
    Perfect example of a college degree not needed to be intelligent, educated (self, if not through  school), smart and wise.  You are all of these!
    Thanks Brian :). I enjoyed my teen years....a lot.  Didn’t like the structure of school.  Don’t like the structure of work, either :lol:
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Not sure I follow? 
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Not sure I follow? 
    Just thought it was comical that Go Beavers shared his education and how it has been invaluable/life altering, that he uses those learned skills every day...and that you stated his education was your fallback.

My buddy's dad has his Ph.D. hanging in his bathroom.  :lol:
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • MakingWavesMakingWaves Posts: 1,288
    BS in Mechanical Engineering. But I agree with a lot of the comments. I work with a bunch of people that are high school graduates and I learn stuff from them every single day and always value their opinions. 
    Seeing visions of falling up somehow.

Pensacola '94
    New Orleans '95
    Birmingham '98
    New Orleans '00
    New Orleans '03
    Tampa '08
    New Orleans '10 - Jazzfest
    New Orleans '16 - Jazzfest
    Fenway Park '18
    St. Louis '22
  • MakingWavesMakingWaves Posts: 1,288
    brianlux said:
    AA followed by certificate in Human Services
    BA with one year post grad classes and Teaching Certificate.
    Lots of other college classes ranging from business to ecological sciences to art classes to fuck knows what.

This does NOT necessarily make me smarter, kinder, better, more wise or wealthier than some people with less than a high school education.  I have a wonderful family member who never graduated from high school but bought their first house at age 24 and can any piece of junk into something very functional.  An amazingly skilled individual.  There are numerous other example of people with far less education than I have who are more skilled or more intelligent or more wealthy or more physically fit or more mentally fit or more wise (or any combination of those) than I am. 

I'm just a simple education junky.  I think I have something like 220 college credits.  I've lost count. But big whoop, right? :tongue:

I could have guessed this about you. You come across as very smart and constantly soaking up new knowledge. 
    Seeing visions of falling up somehow.

Pensacola '94
    New Orleans '95
    Birmingham '98
    New Orleans '00
    New Orleans '03
    Tampa '08
    New Orleans '10 - Jazzfest
    New Orleans '16 - Jazzfest
    Fenway Park '18
    St. Louis '22
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Not sure I follow? 
    Just thought it was comical that Go Beavers shared his education and how it has been invaluable/life altering, that he uses those learned skills every day...and that you stated his education was your fallback.

My buddy's dad has his Ph.D. hanging in his bathroom.  :lol:
    I picked up what you were laying down
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    edited May 2018
    Post grad
    mcgruff10 said:
    mace1229 said:
    BA - chemistry
    MA - secondary education
    You teach high school?

Yeah. I have a friend who graduated with her chemistry degree with me, wanted to go into teaching. But got a summer job at a lab because she was putting off getting her teaching credential. Didn't quit at the end of the summer and now makes like 3 times what I do. Teaching isn't what it was 15 years ago. 
    I think you mentioned Colorado before? That midnight vote to raise PERA contributions. I would second guess my decision purely for financial reasons. 
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    Post grad
    I have a doctorate as part of my three mathematics based degrees, but I am not sure I am necessarily a frequent user here?
    I was a research scientist for a while, but sadly I have fallen back to some part-time teaching.

So I agree with the saying 'a PhD and $4 will get you a cup of coffee.' 
    That sucks, its only about $3 if you have a BA.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Post grad
    I do find it funny that people seem to dismiss college education in some discussions and then we have threads about the importance of education and teacher's pay in others.

I for one do not think a college degree makes anyone a better person than someone without it.  I find that many without college degrees have some great hands-on experience and have learned plenty.  But I still believe a college education can be invaluable if you choose it and use it correctly.  

hippiemom = goodness
    Post grad
    brianlux said:
    AA followed by certificate in Human Services
    BA with one year post grad classes and Teaching Certificate.
    Lots of other college classes ranging from business to ecological sciences to art classes to fuck knows what.

This does NOT necessarily make me smarter, kinder, better, more wise or wealthier than some people with less than a high school education.  I have a wonderful family member who never graduated from high school but bought their first house at age 24 and can any piece of junk into something very functional.  An amazingly skilled individual.  There are numerous other example of people with far less education than I have who are more skilled or more intelligent or more wealthy or more physically fit or more mentally fit or more wise (or any combination of those) than I am. 

I'm just a simple education junky.  I think I have something like 220 college credits.  I've lost count. But big whoop, right? :tongue:

I could have guessed this about you. You come across as very smart and constantly soaking up new knowledge. 
    Thank you, I try.  The not-so-great truth though is that I am intrinsically rather mentally lazy.  At least I was all the way through high school and into my first few years of college.  I've always loved reading but I hated studying or having to challenge myself mentally.  It wasn't until I was 27 and went back to taking college courses after dropping out few a few years that I really started to push myself mentally.  I think a lot of it had to do with our educational system which, other than the few times where I had great teachers, was a system that did not inspire me to seek knowledge and understanding through formal education.  Once I became self-motivated that way, I never looked back.  There's so much to "life, the universe and everything" and I want to soak up as much of it as I can.

• Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,587
    That is my fallback if I do not get accepted into postgrad in psychology.
    Do you currently work as a counsellor?
    I was a therapist working primarily with teenagers and their families for a lot of years. Now I manage an office if a bunch of people working with people. 
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,705
    Where is the dunce catagory ?
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Skooool is grate.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com