Alice in Chains 2018 Tour

Comments

• Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,249
    Mike D88 said:
    AIC is still putting out some fucking great music. I was lukewarm on Black Gives Way to Blue, but loved the last album and can't wait for the next one.
    Same here dude, the last album got pretty shitty reviews but I thought it was great. Much more consistently good than BGWTB. Hoping for good things from this new one.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    edited May 2018
    Another killer rock song by AIC. Love their sound and guitar riffs. This songs makes the new PJ song seem glaringly weak in comparison.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Thierry HenryThierry Henry Posts: 2,654
    Last album I bought was Black gives way to blue. Enjoyed it.  Will have to give the last one a go. 

New song is great. 
    Dublin '96, '00, '06, '10
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    tbergs said:
    Another killer rock song by AIC. Love their sound and guitar riffs. This songs makes the new PJ song seem glaringly weak in comparison.
    Totally. PJ really needs to step it up on this next album. The last 2 AIC albums were so much better than the last 2 PJ albums.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 722
    The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here has a monster backend. It's one of those albums that didn't impress right out of the box but grew and outlasted others that did. Really gotta give it several listens to do it justice.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    Dayumm...that new track. Just gave it a first listen. Feeling it. Hope they play it next Thursday. Nowww I'm getting pumped!!
  • manitoumanmanitouman In My Head Posts: 1,073
    Great song. Damn, I want to see them live.
    Soldier Field, Chicago, IL 7-11-1995; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-29-1998; MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV 10-22-2000 ~PJ10~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 4-1-2003; Cricket Pavilion, Phoenix, AZ 6-7-2003; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-18-2003; Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI 6-21-2003; Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO 10-5-2004; The Gorge, George, WA 9-1-2005; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-16-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-17-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-2-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-3-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-23-2009; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-24-2009; Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC 12-4-2013; Key Arena, Seattle, WA 12-6-2013; iWireless Arena, Moline, IL 10-17-2014 ~No Code Show~; Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014; Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI 10-20-2014 ~Yield Show~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 10-22-2014 ~PJ24~: Wrigley Field 1 & 2, 2016; Safeco Field, Seattle Home Shows 1 & 2; Wrigley Field, Chicago Away Shows 1 & 2....
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited May 2018
    tbergs said:
    Remember thinking this when Soundgardens King Animal was released. I guess it would be the same with AiC. Haven't heard the new single yet.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Every new Alice in Chains song siunds the same. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Thierry HenryThierry Henry Posts: 2,654
    False. 
    Dublin '96, '00, '06, '10
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
    Da whaaaa?
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

They’ve been playing the new song live. So pumped!
    Central Park 15

• uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    I caught them in Toronto last week. My seat was alright:

• mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,275
    If they did a show with just Duvall era music I would be ok with it.  That's the best compliment I could give a band with a new lead singer.
  • jazzbo26jazzbo26 Framingham, MA Posts: 674
    I caught them in Toronto last week. My seat was alright:

Fuuuuccckkk.....
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    The show in Vancouver is right after my vacation, and only 2 weeks after the PJ shows in Seattle.  It's a midweek show too, which means I'd have to missing 2 days of work to go....

I was lucky enough to see them open for GNR 2 years ago, and a few years before that at GM Place in Vancouver.  Also saw Duvall front Jerry Cantrell's solo shows before they merged into a lineup (which were damn fine shows too).
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,873
    For those of you that have been to a recent AIC show, what was the merch situation like?  
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    They had t-shirts, just 2 or 3 designs when I saw them. They also had a keyring, which was of the Facelift, Dirt era logo. I think that was last time.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
    The show start time on 5/10 has been pushed back from 8 to 7:30pm. Doors open at 7.
    Central Park 15

edited May 2018
    False. 
    Da whaaaa?

(nice song)
    Central Park 15

Love Hate Love opener two nights ago \m/
    Central Park 15

The new single has 3 times the views on youtube as Cant Deny Me. Interesting.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,833
    3 times better, hmmmm.  I like Can't Deny Me, as a throwaway song, but The One You Know is far stronger as a single.
    3 times better, hmmmm.  I like Can't Deny Me, as a throwaway song, but The One You Know is far stronger as a single.
    Was gonna say this...
    Central Park 15

Been listening to Carnival of Souls a bit, and damn how KISS stole the Alice in Chains "sound" wholesale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoU3hPwHAQE
  • FactoryMan93FactoryMan93 Posts: 714
    Being a fan of Alice for so long and being such a fan of Layne's I don't know if I could see them. Duvall is great, and he really tried to old Alice justice, and I believe he does. Here is my problem... I can play the record if I want to hear the song, but when I show up at the show, Layne. and Mike for that matter, will not be there. Would you see Soundgarden without Chris? I could not even imagine it.
    edited May 2018
    Being a fan of Alice for so long and being such a fan of Layne's I don't know if I could see them. Duvall is great, and he really tried to old Alice justice, and I believe he does. Here is my problem... I can play the record if I want to hear the song, but when I show up at the show, Layne. and Mike for that matter, will not be there. Would you see Soundgarden without Chris? I could not even imagine it.
    You're not watching Alice in Chains with Layne. Youre watching Alice in Chains with Duvall. A seperate entity. 

It's not meant to replace what you have seen/heard before or the albums you own. Just like John Carpenters The Thing doesn't replace the original film. 

In my world I hate more when new bands play former bands hits (Audioslave for example playing RATM and Soundgarden songs) and don't trust the creative integrity of the new band, than band members having to be replaced. Or when a band like KISS hires new guys and forces them to imitate (makeup and style) former members.

But I would prefer if AiC trusted their new material more and the things they have created together. That would also solve the thing with someone singing Laynes lyrics somewhat, because it would be less of it during their setlists.

And if Soundgarden went out and toured with Tori Amos on vocals, I'd watch it. It wouldn't be that Soundgarden, but instead this Soundgarden. And the love for that Soundgarden wouldn't disapear, and the this could be ignored they sucked, or not ignored if Tori Amos delivers and they make something creative out of it. 

I think AiC are doing it in a pretty classy way, but as I said - I wished they trusted their stuff more and not toured as much as a nostalgia act with a new singer. You can't reject your entire history ofcourse, then you might as well change bandname. But yes.
  • FactoryMan93FactoryMan93 Posts: 714
    You're not watching Alice in Chains with Layne. Youre watching Alice in Chains with Duvall. A seperate entity. 

It's not meant to replace what you have seen/heard before or the albums you own. Just like John Carpenters The Thing doesn't replace the original film. 

In my world I hate more when new bands play former bands hits (Audioslave for example playing RATM and Soundgarden songs) and don't trust the creative integrity of the new band, than band members having to be replaced. Or when a band like KISS hires new guys and forces them to imitate (makeup and style) former members.

But I would prefer if AiC trusted their new material more and the things they have created together. That would also solve the thing with someone singing Laynes lyrics somewhat, because it would be less of it during their setlists.

And if Soundgarden went out and toured with Tori Amos on vocals, I'd watch it. It wouldn't be that Soundgarden, but instead this Soundgarden. And the love for that Soundgarden wouldn't disapear, and the this could be ignored they sucked, or not ignored if Tori Amos delivers and they make something creative out of it. 

I think AiC are doing it in a pretty classy way, but as I said - I wished they trusted their stuff more and not toured as much as a nostalgia act with a new singer. You can't reject your entire history ofcourse, then you might as well change bandname. But yes.
    What I meant was that I go for who is onstage now, I don't go just to hear the songs. When a member is replaced or, in this scenario, members, it changes the meaning of band for me. I have seen the current Alice and they were great. Duvall sounds just like Layne in many songs. I am just expressing my opinion saying certain past members have more meaning than current members. I am not saying Duvall or any other replacement can't cut it.

What I meant was that I go for who is onstage now, I don't go just to hear the songs. When a member is replaced or, in this scenario, members, it changes the meaning of band for me. I have seen the current Alice and they were great. Duvall sounds just like Layne in many songs. I am just expressing my opinion saying certain past members have more meaning than current members. I am not saying Duvall or any other replacement can't cut it.
    Haha. And I don't know what I'm saying. But the bolded is something I don't like. Would rather someone come in with their own perspective and creativity to a "cover" than try to copy someone else. Not saying that Duvall copies Layne, i don't really remember how Duvall sounds live on the old songs.

But that extends to bands playing covers too. 

Rather hear Ryan Adams acoustic take on Taylor Swifts Shake it off than some rock band do another tired "1:1" cover of All along the Watchtower.