Of the frequent commenters here, What is your education level?

Be honest.

Of the frequent commenters here, What is your education level? 38 votes

High school graduate
5%
BLACK35tempo_n_groove 2 votes
Never went to college
0%
Some college
13%
KC138045LT150045riley540HughFreakingDillondrakeheuer14 5 votes
Graduated with an undergrad
42%
bootlegger10The JugglerMakingWavesmfc2006PJPOWERThoughts_ArriveSmellymanGern BlanstenMerkin BallerRoleModelsinBlood31mattsl1983jeff2040PJ_SoulSmallestOceansbbiggsGingerlou77 16 votes
Post grad
34%
cincybearcatgimmesometruth27mcgruff10vaggar99fifeNamicurmudgeonessmace1229OnWis97Kev - Coat and Keysbrianluxriotgrljnimhaoileoin 13 votes
I read on my own
5%
Drowned Outrgambs 2 votes

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Post grad
    AA followed by certificate in Human Services
    BA with one year post grad classes and Teaching Certificate.
    Lots of other college classes ranging from business to ecological sciences to art classes to fuck knows what.

This does NOT necessarily make me smarter, kinder, better, more wise or wealthier than some people with less than a high school education.  I have a wonderful family member who never graduated from high school but bought their first house at age 24 and can any piece of junk into something very functional.  An amazingly skilled individual.  There are numerous other example of people with far less education than I have who are more skilled or more intelligent or more wealthy or more physically fit or more mentally fit or more wise (or any combination of those) than I am. 

I'm just a simple education junky.  I think I have something like 220 college credits.  I've lost count. But big whoop, right? :tongue:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    edited May 2018
    Bachelor of Business (Marketing) - that was a waste of money. Wish I never did that degree. Still paying off my debts.
    Now studying psychology at an undergrad level. Hoping to get into postgrad. Honours then either Masters or phD or both.
    Post edited by Thoughts_Arrive on
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • mattsl1983mattsl1983 Posts: 711
    brianlux said:
    Lots of other college classes ranging from business to ecological sciences to art classes to fuck knows what.

This does NOT necessarily make me smarter, kinder, better, more wise or wealthier than some people with less than a high school education.  I have a wonderful family member who never graduated from high school but bought their first house at age 24 and can any piece of junk into something very functional.  An amazingly skilled individual.  There are numerous other example of people with far less education than I have who are more skilled or more intelligent or more wealthy or more physically fit or more mentally fit or more wise (or any combination of those) than I am. 

I'm just a simple education junky.  I think I have something like 220 college credits.  I've lost count. But big whoop, right? :tongue:

Why did I have a feeling you would be one of the more educated people around these parts??  Maybe because I’ve never seen you stoop to talking points, name calling, or be dismissive of ideas, You’ve always kept it civil whether you agreed or not.  I can’t recal anytime you’ve just posted sensationalistic responses.  It all makes sense now lol.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    brianlux said:

I love studying, Brian.
    I feel like such a nerd at university, always sitting up front and contributing to lecture/tutorial discussions.
    Part of the reason I'd like to work as a lecturer in psychology one day.
    I don't think I am smarter than others, I just try my best and work very hard to get the grades I want.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    edited May 2018
    AA Computer Information Systems

BS Wildlife Biology

Certificate Teaching English as Second Language.

A crap ton of computer related certs/courses and other things like Spanish and Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese).
    Post edited by Smellyman on
    Post grad
    brianlux said:

Why did I have a feeling you would be one of the more educated people around these parts??  Maybe because I’ve never seen you stoop to talking points, name calling, or be dismissive of ideas, You’ve always kept it civil whether you agreed or not.  I can’t recal anytime you’ve just posted sensationalistic responses.  It all makes sense now lol.
    Well, thank you matts but the dirty truth about me is that at one time or another, I have done some of or all of those very things here- once so egregiously that I banned myself from the forums for six months.  I've learned a lot here and hope I've become a better person for it, mostly due to the fine folks who frequent this place and the kindness of Mods who let me off by the skin of my teeth.  I know of no better place anywhere on the internet.  :smile:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Gingerlou77Gingerlou77 Posts: 429
    I recently got my degree at age 38, BSc in Physiotherapy. I dropped out of uni twice before in the 90s.... It was a whole lot harder doing it with 2 small kids.  I'm thinking about doing some more study though, there's a Masters i like the sound of
  • mattsl1983mattsl1983 Posts: 711
    I recently got my degree at age 38, BSc in Physiotherapy. I dropped out of uni twice before in the 90s.... It was a whole lot harder doing it with 2 small kids.  I'm thinking about doing some more study though, there's a Masters i like the sound of
    Man, that’s awesome.  My old lady graduates Saturday with a political science major, and she’s 32.  We both worked hard, but it’s never too late.  Set goals and achieve them.
    Post grad
    Congratulations, Gingerlou! College with two kids- no easy feat!

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    why does it matter?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Damn, no Alternative High School option. I didnt learn any grammer skills there, but i did learn how to roll some killer joints. 
    Now im working on a degree from Cut 2x4s and Plywood University.
    I did find the comment before the poll,
    Be Honest, very bizarre. 

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    Post grad

d'oh, thought I had undergrad selected when I hit submit oh well... that's why I need a post grad...hahaha

business with accounting.....expensive piece of paper. 

Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Only high school for me ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    Gramer skol drop owt
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Scool ov hrd noks
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    I have a BS in BS (bachelor of science in behavioral science ;)).  Majored in Sociology and minored in psych.  I have moved away from these fields career wise, but still try to keep up with the latest research.  I have thought about going back to school, but am not interested in going back into debt to do so...
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I read on my own
    Mean streets.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    mickeyrat said:
    why does it matter?
    Amen.

One semester of college and I'm doing just fine in life.

Fuck knows that lacking a degree doesn't make me feel dumb or uneducated.  Life'll learn ya!

(gambo - :peace: )
    Post grad
    hedonist said:
    mickeyrat said:
    why does it matter?
    Amen.

Fuck knows that lacking a degree doesn't make me feel dumb or uneducated.  Life'll learn ya!

Heck yeah!  My wife only has a few college credits to her name but she is smarter and more successful than I am.  But then, I did marry her, so I guess I get some smarts credit for that.  :smile:

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Post grad
    hedonist said:
    mickeyrat said:
    why does it matter?
    Amen.

You uneducated bunch sure are sensitive ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    hedonist said:
    mickeyrat said:
    why does it matter?
    Amen.

You uneducated bunch sure are sensitive ;)
    :cowboy:
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Some college
    went to university for a year. hated it. 
    went to one of those "quicky" colleges and got my "degree" (completely useless). I was young and naive and the government hands out student loans like candy. 

spent most of my time in my 20's partying and playing in a band that never got out of the garage. in hindsight, it was fun, but I fell into a job that doesn't pay much but I don't hate it, it's low stress, and the people I work with have loads of fun (think of The Office without the idiot boss). 

university is a crapshoot. it can mean absolutely zero. it can be a learning experience, educationally and socially/emotionally. it can give you a career. it can give you all of those things or nothing. 

the only thing I think about sometimes is that my kids won't respect me. In my day, our dads were professionals who went to school to get an office job and move up the corporate ladder. or you were a labourer that worked hard and taught your kids the value of that hard work. 

I am neither. I am fine with that on a personal level, but I hope my kids are able to do something better if they want it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    I also did a two-year professional certificate program after graduation.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited May 2018
    Post grad
    ba in history
    ba in teaching
    masters admin
    i think 9 grad credits in history (I ll never finish)
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Some college
    on-going Global Ethics and Political Science studies at AMT. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175

what'cha looking at?

Image result for angry goat

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    Post grad
    BA - chemistry
    MA - secondary education
  • DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    I'm wondering why you are interested in knowing this. If you see that I have an associates degree, would that make my opinion or points any more or less valid than someone with a degree in your mind? 

I'm not trying to bust your balls, I just find it strange that you would want to know this info. 
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
    Post grad
    There are people with advanced degrees who believe in anthopogenic global warming and people with advanced degrees who do not believe in anthropogenic global warming.  So the fact is, college degrees "don't mean shit to a tree*".

*I believe it was Grace Slick who came up with that great line.

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    brianlux said:
    There are people with advanced degrees who believe in anthopogenic global warming and people with advanced degrees who do not believe in anthropogenic global warming.  So the fact is, college degrees "don't mean shit to a tree*".

*I believe it was Grace Slick who came up with that great line.
    Lol, I like that line!!!