Every day is Earth Day. Let's talk about ways to make it better.

Comments

• OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    brianlux said:
    Like the new thread title. And the bamboo straws. Going to order some of those.
    Nice!  Kudos, OSG!

My step daughter is going to give me some this weekend.  I'm so stoked to see a young person such as herself get involved.  I love that kind of positive action.
       I'm glad you decided to post about it! She's spreading her positive influence. I'm sure I won't be the only one ordering those straws. :)
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    brianlux said:
    Like the new thread title. And the bamboo straws. Going to order some of those.
    Nice!  Kudos, OSG!

My step daughter is going to give me some this weekend.  I'm so stoked to see a young person such as herself get involved.  I love that kind of positive action.
       I'm glad you decided to post about it! She's spreading her positive influence. I'm sure I won't be the only one ordering those straws. :)
    Excellent!  :plus_one:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Banning straws is another ill conceived plan ... a quick google search revealed 6 bamboo straws $9.50, now that was a quick search...but hospitals, nursing/seniors home, disabled people needs the of use of straws...and these places need the use of re-usable straws...once again for the masses it comes down to cost effectiveness...
    Hospitals far over use straws. The default is to give every patient drinks in plastic cups with lids and straws even when there is no medical need for it. Its just habit, and can and should be shaken up. Same with nursing homes. 

For those who really do need to use straws, if for some reason they needed to be plastic and disposable then that could be accommodated. Almost every “ban” has exceptions where need is proven. The key is not to automatically insist that nothing changes just because that’s the easy route. 
    I don't know about hospitals in BC but here in Ontario hospital staff are too busy to worry about who gets a drink with a plastic straw or not, same with senior/nursing homes...not to mention many hospitals have out sourced their food services...
    Nah, it's no big deal.  It really wouldn't add an unreasonable burden, hospital staff have routine jobs just like anyone else, change the routine and the outcome changes.

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    edited May 2018
    I was looking for an environmental/conservation blog to gather ideas from and came across this massive list of ocean conservation blogs! Thought I would pass it along...
    http://www.upwell.us/big-blue-blogs-100-ocean-conservation-blogs-updated/
    Post edited by OffSheGoes35 on
    I was looking for an environmental/conservation blog to gather ideas from and came across this massive list of blogs! Thought I would pass it along...
    http://www.upwell.us/big-blue-blogs-100-ocean-conservation-blogs-updated/
    Very cool!  I'm a bit surprised to not see Sea Shepherd Conservation Society on the list but I guess they are not really a blog- although they are on FaceBook.  But regardless, it all starts and ends with our oceans.  The importance of oceans cannot be stressed too much.  All life started in the oceans.  Oceans have been described as the "lifeblood" of planet earth.  Over half the oxygen we breath comes from the oceans and much of the excess carbon is absorbed by them. 

Thanks for putting up this list, OSG.  It will be fun and interesting checking these out.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Here's a link to the SSCS blog...
    https://seashepherd.org/blog/

I'm really new to this, and have so much learning to do. That's probably one of the bad things about not being a Facebook user, I would be more up-to-date on these issues. I figure the ocean is a great starting point though, as you said, it all starts and ends there. :)

You're welcome. I'll post more in here, as I learn more. 
    Here's a link to the SSCS blog...
    https://seashepherd.org/blog/

I'm really new to this, and have so much learning to do. That's probably one of the bad things about not being a Facebook user, I would be more up-to-date on these issues. I figure the ocean is a great starting point though, as you said, it all starts and ends there. :)

You're welcome. I'll post more in here, as I learn more. 
    It's true, OSG, there's a lot of info in FB... but think of all the BS you have to dodge there to get even close to reality!  It really takes a lot of skepticism and critical thinking to glean what's worthwhile there. 

Thanks for putting up the SSCS site!

Another one of my favorite organizations is Wildlands Network.  Th focus of their work is to create natural corridors for wildlife to migrate in.  One very exciting and rather current project they are working on is to create a migratory corridor here in the western U.S. called The Pacific Wildway

Their site address is:
    https://wildlandsnetwork.org/

And the link for info on The Pacific Wildway:
    https://wildlandsnetwork.org/wildways/pacific/

This map gives a very generalized view of where the migratory paths are and where efforts are underway to create migratory corridors within them:

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    UK's Pledge to Ban Single-Use Plastics Includes Wet Wipes

https://www.ecowatch.com/wet-wipes-ban-uk-2566716761.html

Give Peas A Chance…

"As part of our 25-year environment plan we have pledged to eliminate all avoidable plastic waste, and that includes single-use products that include plastic such as wet wipes," the UK's Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs told  MailOnline in a statement.

That's great!  My only concern is that they follow through (i.e. "the best laid plans of mice and men") and "25 years".  I'll celebrate when it happens, keep up hope in the meantime.

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    brianlux said:
    Good luck ... as long as people continue to over populate the planet, the planet is screwd.  
    Thanks, we need it, haha!  Yes, overpopulation is one of (maybe THE) root  cause of the problem.
    i believe its management problem rather than an overpopulation problem.  
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    brianlux said:

"As part of our 25-year environment plan we have pledged to eliminate all avoidable plastic waste, and that includes single-use products that include plastic such as wet wipes," the UK's Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs told  MailOnline in a statement.

That's great!  My only concern is that they follow through (i.e. "the best laid plans of mice and men") and "25 years".  I'll celebrate when it happens, keep up hope in the meantime.

It's a disposal problem ... and who is responsible for proper disposal, humans.  Once again it just simply comes down over population ... 

I worked for 25 years in maintenance for a school board, I can tell you, being in as many schools as I've been in over the years ... well most of what the school recycled was contaminated and likely just went to the land-fills eventually, not to mention how many bottles/cans/paper ended up regular garbage.  And this is the generation that grew up with recycling, and they do a shit job of taking care of their own little piece of the world...

The town I live in about 2 years ago passed a hard sided garbage container by-law to supposedly keep the rodents away (not working), I've seen rodents coming out of the recycling, because no one properly rinses their recycling...in which case it just another garbage pail...last Friday on our recycling day, it was extremely windy, the recycling was blowing everywhere, what a mess ... now you think someone would realize this and design recycling containers with lids ... and maybe they have, you'd think recycling containers with lids make more sense.

I'm not one for more taxes and fees...so I don't believe in a user fee for excessive garbage.  I would prefer the town remove weekly garbage collection and open up depots where people can bring their garbage.  Adding user fees to garbage collection will not help much.  Now start inconveniencing people ... that will have a much greater impact.  Of course, then we need to strengthen illegal dumping and littering by-laws.  I propose heavy fines and community service for those people (the community service should be cleaning up trash).  Littering is a pet peeve of mine, which obviously why the plastic is getting into our waterways.  The community I live used to be a nice clean community, now I notice more and more garbage.  I live across from Detroit, we are taking on the appearance of Detroit in the 80's...

I just don't see the bigger problems being solved until people properly recycle, stop littering, walk every once in a while and make better decisions.

You should see how many people just in my neighbourhood who drive full size pickups, just for pleasure...makes no sense.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    brianlux said:

It's a disposal problem ... and who is responsible for proper disposal, humans.  Once again it just simply comes down over population ... 

I worked for 25 years in maintenance for a school board, I can tell you, being in as many schools as I've been in over the years ... well most of what the school recycled was contaminated and likely just went to the land-fills eventually, not to mention how many bottles/cans/paper ended up regular garbage.  And this is the generation that grew up with recycling, and they do a shit job of taking care of their own little piece of the world...

The town I live in about 2 years ago passed a hard sided garbage container by-law to supposedly keep the rodents away (not working), I've seen rodents coming out of the recycling, because no one properly rinses their recycling...in which case it just another garbage pail...last Friday on our recycling day, it was extremely windy, the recycling was blowing everywhere, what a mess ... now you think someone would realize this and design recycling containers with lids ... and maybe they have, you'd think recycling containers with lids make more sense.

I'm not one for more taxes and fees...so I don't believe in a user fee for excessive garbage.  I would prefer the town remove weekly garbage collection and open up depots where people can bring their garbage.  Adding user fees to garbage collection will not help much.  Now start inconveniencing people ... that will have a much greater impact.  Of course, then we need to strengthen illegal dumping and littering by-laws.  I propose heavy fines and community service for those people (the community service should be cleaning up trash).  Littering is a pet peeve of mine, which obviously why the plastic is getting into our waterways.  The community I live used to be a nice clean community, now I notice more and more garbage.  I live across from Detroit, we are taking on the appearance of Detroit in the 80's...

I just don't see the bigger problems being solved until people properly recycle, stop littering, walk every once in a while and make better decisions.

You should see how many people just in my neighbourhood who drive full size pickups, just for pleasure...makes no sense.

While rodents are obviously a problem, it’s a myth that recyclables need to be cleaned before being collected.  
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    brianlux said:

While rodents are obviously a problem, it’s a myth that recyclables need to be cleaned before being collected.  
    We do rinse bottles etc., before recycling and they should be but even if they aren't, I think you're right about them getting recycled anyway.  There's a lot of money in recycled goods.  There are certainly cases of recycling fraud but more often than not it works pretty well.  There's money in recyclables, not in garbage landfills. 

"I just don't see the bigger problems being solved until people properly recycle, stop littering, walk every once in a while and make better decisions.

You should see how many people just in my neighbourhood who drive full size pickups, just for pleasure...makes no sense."

Meltdown99 , those are good points.  Re. those bog trucks- it does vary somewhat depending on where you live.  I was visiting my step-daughter in San Francisco recently and I saw very few pick up trucks or SUVs.  In fact, I was impressed by how many power-assisted bicycles I saw in the neighborhoods- lots of them!  But in suburbia and semi-rural town like the one I live in, ROATS (ridiculously over-sized American trucks) and SUVs abound.  It's ludicrous what so many single driver's run around in in my area.

I also agree that overpopulation is a major part of the problem.  I've lived long enough to see the world go from 2.58 billion people to 7.3 billion.  And I've seen what that population increase has done.  No way could I be convinced that  a population that will soon be triple what it was when I was born is not harming this planet.  Triple.  Imagine that.  Terrible!

brianlux said:

Then it defeats the purpose of a hard sided garbage container if your just throwing containers with for remnants that attracts the rodents...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

We do rinse bottles etc., before recycling and they should be but even if they aren't, I think you're right about them getting recycled anyway.  There's a lot of money in recycled goods.  There are certainly cases of recycling fraud but more often than not it works pretty well.  There's money in recyclables, not in garbage landfills. 

"I just don't see the bigger problems being solved until people properly recycle, stop littering, walk every once in a while and make better decisions.

You should see how many people just in my neighbourhood who drive full size pickups, just for pleasure...makes no sense."

Meltdown99 , those are good points.  Re. those bog trucks- it does vary somewhat depending on where you live.  I was visiting my step-daughter in San Francisco recently and I saw very few pick up trucks or SUVs.  In fact, I was impressed by how many power-assisted bicycles I saw in the neighborhoods- lots of them!  But in suburbia and semi-rural town like the one I live in, ROATS (ridiculously over-sized American trucks) and SUVs abound.  It's ludicrous what so many single driver's run around in in my area.

I also agree that overpopulation is a major part of the problem.  I've lived long enough to see the world go from 2.58 billion people to 7.3 billion.  And I've seen what that population increase has done.  No way could I be convinced that  a population that will soon be triple what it was when I was born is not harming this planet.  Triple.  Imagine that.  Terrible!

All good points.  I'm careful not include SUV's ... because many SUV's are very efficient, 4 cylinder engines' some are hybrid.  Those big pick-up are not fuel efficient, but yes some SUV's are from from fuel efficient.  When I was growing up the only people that owned pickups were farmers and people who used them for their job.  Hardly anyone owned a truck who didn't need one.  At the end of my street we have Tim Hortons, plenty of my neighbours drive to the drive through, even though it's a 5-10 minute walk...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:

If rinsing is not necessary, then why are the  recycling instructions guiding people to rinse their containers...I'm not just making this up.  If it's an unnecessary step then why is it included in the recycling guide?  

Blue Box - Container Recycling

https://www.citywindsor.ca/residents/Waste-And-Recycling/Recycling/Pages/Blue-Box---Container-Recycling.aspx
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    brianlux said:

If rinsing is not necessary, then why are the  recycling instructions guiding people to rinse their containers...I'm not just making this up.  If it's an unnecessary step then why is it included in the recycling guide?  

Blue Box - Container Recycling

https://www.citywindsor.ca/residents/Waste-And-Recycling/Recycling/Pages/Blue-Box---Container-Recycling.aspx
    Difference of opinion in that. Certainly I keep reading that it’s not necessary. 

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/theconversation.com/amp/why-youre-almost-certainly-wasting-time-rinsing-your-recycling-78189

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
    tbergs said:
    The only thing I can figure here is that Mo Brooks was sitting around the gas grill the night before chatting with some of his cronies and said, "Let's make up some bullshit and see how many of our constituents will buy it."  I mean, really, can the guy be that fucking stupid?

• SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    edited May 2018
    Cars and trucks are worst purchase anybody makes.  Instead of making wise purchases and getting fuel efficient/electric cars so many have giant guzzling beasts and then complain about gas prices.

A colleague just bought a BMW after having a Lexus SUV thing of some sort.  He does not make as much money as us yet over the time we have known him (10 years) has wasted over 100,000 grand in cars.  Not to mention insurance maintenance etc.  He will also complain about gas prices and not having enough money.

People could make wise decisions and help themselves and the environment.  win win

edit:  My wife got in his new car and said "Nice new Camry"  pissed him off to no end.  :D
    Post edited by Smellyman on
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    I chuckle inwardly at my sister who’s been known to harangue other family members on their “non-environmental” habits. Yet they own more house than they need, and both their vehicles are gas-guzzlers. Given our cottage is literally a shack in the woods with no electricity and their other long-distance travels (coupled with inconsistent availability of charging stations in our home province) I don’t fault them for the first (non-electric/hybrid), but when they bought the second vehicle (a cute little new Beetle, lol) that was the perfect time for them to put their money where their mouth is.
    As a city dweller with access to a decent to good public transportation system, I made the conscious choice not to buy a car, despite the inevitable inconveniences (such as having to bum rides to the aforementioned cottage). Then being poor took that choice away, lol. Nothing reduces one’s carbon footprint like poverty, if we’re being honest here.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
    Smellyman said:
    Cars and trucks are worst purchase anybody makes.  Instead of making wise purchases and getting fuel efficient/electric cars so many have giant guzzling beasts and then complain about gas prices.

A colleague just bought a BMW after having a Lexus SUV thing of some sort.  He does not make as much money as us yet over the time we have known him (10 years) has wasted over 100,000 grand in cars.  Not to mention insurance maintenance etc.  He will also complain about gas prices and not having enough money.

People could make wise decisions and help themselves and the environment.  win win

edit:  My wife got in his new car and said "Nice new Camry"  pissed him off to no end.  :D
    Yep, cracks me up.  A few people have given me attitude about having a "yuppie" Prius but what they don't understand is it was not about the status.  We did a lot of research and found that car in 2008 got the best gas mileage and had the best rating for longevity. I see no reason that car won't last me a good 300,000 miles.  And over that time, the saving in gas will have saved at least $5,000 making the car quite affordable.  We also mark our "no drive days" on the calendar and ride share.  I'm not patting myself on the back, just saying, it's really not that hard to make a positive difference.

edited May 2018
    brianlux said:
    Smellyman said:

Yep, cracks me up.  A few people have given me attitude about having a "yuppie" Prius but what they don't understand is it was not about the status.  We did a lot of research and found that car in 2008 got the best gas mileage and had the best rating for longevity. I see no reason that car won't last me a good 300,000 miles.  And over that time, the saving in gas will have saved at least $5,000 making the car quite affordable.  We also mark our "no drive days" on the calendar and ride share.  I'm not patting myself on the back, just saying, it's really not that hard to make a positive difference.
    Yup.  So easy to make a positive difference.  I cut plastic pretty much out of my life. That is an easy one everybody can do that really takes little effort.  Yet, when I do use plastic for some reason, somebody will say, 'see you use plastic you hypocrite'.  (usually republicans)  That is not the effing point.  If everybody used 50% less, guess what?  that is 50% less fucking plastic in the world.  Would also force companies to use recyclables etc.

It's so  easy, but people are so fucking selfish.  People like Trump will be 'but China but China but China'  Be an f'ing leader for once.

End rant

But probably more to come LOL

One more, start by not drinking water from plastic bottles fools
    Post edited by Smellyman on
    Smellyman said:
    brianlux said:
    Smellyman said:

Yup.  So easy to make a positive difference.  I cut plastic pretty much out of my life. That is an easy one everybody can do that really takes little effort.  Yet, when I do use plastic for some reason, somebody will say, 'see you use plastic you hypocrite'.  (usually republicans)  That is not the effing point.  If everybody used 50% less, guess what?  that is 50% less fucking plastic in the world.  Would also force companies to use recyclables etc.

It's so  easy, but people are so fucking selfish.  People like Trump will be 'but China but China but China'  Be an f'ing leader for once.

End rant

But probably more to come LOL

One more, start by not drinking water from plastic bottles fools
    Hey, rant on.  I can dig it!

I never buy plastic zip lock bags for food storage.  They're everywhere.  Go to dinner at someone's house and they send you home with some string beans in a plastic zip lock bag.  OK fine, I'll eat the green beans and rinse the bag and use it over and over and over again.  A little rinsing or washing and they're good to go again and again.  There are so damn many of these things in the world no one need buy more for decades.  Something like 5 trillion of them are used each year.  At the very least, they should be recycled.  Far too often they end up in the garbage.  Not good!

Rant on, Smellyman!  LOL!

Exactly, I have had the same ziplock bags for ages.  Why do we just throw that away?  bugs me
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    brianlux said:
    EVERY DAY IS EARTH RUSEV DAY! >-
    fixed :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHmcIS8Rigc

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    brianlux said:
    EVERY DAY IS EARTH RUSEV DAY! >-
    fixed :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHmcIS8Rigc

Scary!  :lol:

• vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    grow some food and share it with your friends.
    vaggar99 said:
    grow some food and share it with your friends.
    Right on, vaggar.  Nothing better than sharing and nothing beats fresh ripened!