Options

LONDON O2 shows - handy hints and local knowledge!

webbowebbo London, UK Posts: 104
edited February 2018 in The Porch
Hey all,

Looking forward to the London shows and been helped out here with tickets which I'm incredibly grateful for (this forum just highlights how awesome Pear Jam's fans are!!) so as a native I thought I'd start a handy hints type post for those that haven't been to the O2 before, especially for those travelling from overseas.

Getting there
https://www.theo2.co.uk/visit-us/getting-to-the-o2

Really easy, the North Greenwich station is right outside the O2. If you're driving there you have event parking and non event parking (the o2 is a big complex with cinemas and restaurants as well as the arena itself). I used to live nearby and on gig nights the parking was really expensive (20 quid I think) BUT a trick Ive used is when asked what you're going to see, say the cinema and you get directed to the cheap car park (a few quid). Now I haven't done this for a while so someone else may be able to confirm but it always worked for me

If using tube for travel best option for UK travellers on a short stay is contactless debut card (just scan it in at the beginning and end of your tube ride, important to scan out or you may get charged the full fare). For overseas visitors check this out

https://www.londontoolkit.com/briefing/travelcard_oyster.htm

Also note that the daily travel limit is capped so after a couple of journeys you can ride the tube/bus/some overground for free for the day so useful for sightseeing!
My new Youtube channel - learn how to play every guitar part for every PJ song! https://www.youtube.com/letsplayall
My tribute band's facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pearljammband/
Post edited by webbo on

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Ok tip 2 (original post kept losing my updates!) 10c ticket collection
    I spoke to the venue yesterday and they couldn't confirm early entry for 10c BUT the O2 always has a priority queue which is way quicker to get in as long as you're an O2 customer or have an O2 phone in your group!

The box office is also separate from the main queue to get into the arena and as AXS tickets show door time of 6.30pm the box office will either open at 3pm OR 2 hours before, again will try and get confirmation nearer the time,

hope that helps for starters!
    Post edited by webbo on
    My new Youtube channel - learn how to play every guitar part for every PJ song! https://www.youtube.com/letsplayall
  • Options
    webbo said:
    Ok tip 2 (original post kept losing my updates!) 10c ticket collection
    I spoke to the venue yesterday and they couldn't confirm early entry for 10c BUT the O2 always has a priority queue which is way quicker to get in as long as you're an O2 customer or have an O2 phone in your group!

The box office is also separate from the main queue to get into the arena and as AXS tickets show door time of 6.30pm the box office will either open at 3pm OR 2 hours before, again will try and get confirmation nearer the time,

hope that helps for starters!
    Thanks, I was wondering how the O2 priority is going to stack up against 10c early entry? Surely 10c will trump O2?
  • Options
    No worries, i’ll contact the venue nearer the gig they should have more info then. There are multiple entrances to the arena so they could funnel people in with different queues (like they do with o2 priority). Have to wait and see on that. Seeing as AXS ticket holders don’t have to queue to collect as well it’s a interesting one!
  • Options
    guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    Don't bother to go on the eye unless you have time.. Better to go up tower bridge and walk along the top.. I've not done  that but intend to this time.. Get an oyster card saves you money on transport.. Even though it is quite safe just a careful and stay safe 
  • Options
    You can use debit/credit cards, so you're spending the exact amount and not having to top up your Oyster card and lose the remaining balance leftover. Not sure if you're charged more this way or not.
  • Options
    Both good points! I’ve been on the eye and the tower bridge, both are good but Tower bridge is less than half the height of the eye so you do get a better view on the eye. There’s the Emirates cable car (called the Air Line) too which is supposed to be good, across the Greenwich peninsula (view of the O2 from 90m up!)

You can use debit cards if they’re contactless and this is the best way to go for UK peeps on a short stay. You have to pay a £5 deposit for Oyster cards that you need to top up (or put money on them) and whilst you can claim that and any unused money back it’s a hassle. For overseas visitors though they’d get currency fees. Here’s a good run down;

https://www.londontoolkit.com/briefing/travelcard_oyster.htm

• Options
    Cable car is very good
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,071
    Whats a quid??!
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • Options
    vant0037 said:
    Whats a quid??!
    Ha. A pound. £1.
  • Options
    Daily lurker here.. going with my wife to both O2 shows, flying in and out of heathrow... have an early flight on Wednesday morning... would you all stay closer to O2 for convenience for the shows and deal with a longer trip to the airport or would you stay closer to the airport and deal with getting to and from O2?

cheers!  Can’t wait 
  • Options
    Barbato14 said:
    Daily lurker here.. going with my wife to both O2 shows, flying in and out of heathrow... have an early flight on Wednesday morning... would you all stay closer to O2 for convenience for the shows and deal with a longer trip to the airport or would you stay closer to the airport and deal with getting to and from O2?

cheers!  Can’t wait 
    Closer to the airport for sure bud, especially with your early flight. O2 is easy access so you'll have no troubles on the day of the shows, Greenwich is the tube station you need and it's bang outside the O2, on the Jubilee line. Heathrow is on Picadilly line. I go to London quite often so hit us up if you need any advice!
  • Options
    rw160510rw160510 Posts: 909
    Barbato14 said:

cheers!  Can’t wait 
    That
     really depends on the time of your flight. Personally I would not want to be trying to get to Heathrow from the 02 after a show. It's way over the other side of London. I'd advise having a look at transport for London's website tfl.gov.uk and it should be able to help you plan. Also try nationalrail.co.uk for train times.
  • Options
    Barbato14 said:

cheers!  Can’t wait 
    Check out some of these links:  
    https://www.heathrow.com/transport-and-directions/underground 
    https://www.theo2.co.uk/visit-us/getting-here/tube 

But true Heathrow is a little out of the way, the late night tubes should work fine in terms of the show ending times. 
  • Options
    Question about GA tickets.  I was able to get 2 GA tickets to each show through the additional presale for members that didn't get chosen in the 10C lottery.  When I purchased the tickets it stated that anyone under the age of 16 needed to be with an adult.  Now that I have the tickets in hand, it is printed on the tickets that no one under 16 is permitted on the floor/GA section even with an adult.  Being that I am traveling and attending the shows with my 13 year old son I am now concerned that he will not be allowed on the floor.  I would have selected regular seats had this been disclosed when making my purchase.  I have emailed the venue but have yet to get a response.  Does anyone know how strictly that this is enforced?
    107 Shows and counting
  • Options
    Question about GA tickets.  I was able to get 2 GA tickets to each show through the additional presale for members that didn't get chosen in the 10C lottery.  When I purchased the tickets it stated that anyone under the age of 16 needed to be with an adult.  Now that I have the tickets in hand, it is printed on the tickets that no one under 16 is permitted on the floor/GA section even with an adult.  Being that I am traveling and attending the shows with my 13 year old son I am now concerned that he will not be allowed on the floor.  I would have selected regular seats had this been disclosed when making my purchase.  I have emailed the venue but have yet to get a response.  Does anyone know how strictly that this is enforced?
    I remember getting something a month or so back regarding this from 10c so I'd get in touch with them, it's worth a shot even if it's not 10c tickets they might still help. 
  • Options
    I remember getting something a month or so back regarding this from 10c so I'd get in touch with them, it's worth a shot even if it's not 10c tickets they might still help. 
    Good suggestion. I will email them. Thanks.  
    107 Shows and counting
  • Options
    rw160510 said:
    Barbato14 said:

cheers!  Can’t wait 
    That
     really depends on the time of your flight. Personally I would not want to be trying to get to Heathrow from the 02 after a show. It's way over the other side of London. I'd advise having a look at transport for London's website tfl.gov.uk and it should be able to help you plan. Also try nationalrail.co.uk for train times.
    I agree. Heathrow is quite a way out for journeys in and out of town. If it were me i'd  stay on town for the shows and just journey in and out for the airport. 
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Options
    Barbato14 said:
    Thanks everyone!
    As per previous posters would depend on the time of your flight. You'd probably have time after the show (events usually finish at the O2 no later than 11pm) but it takes a little while to filter out of the arena and get a tube. It's pretty good though so you won't be waiting for ages, but would allow 20-30mins or so to get to the tube and get on one. Last tubes are just after midnight in the week but to get from O2 to Heathrow is going to be about 45-50mins if you use the Heathrow Express (fast train from Paddington but exepensive) or about 1hr 10 if you just go on the tube, so if you're trying to get all the way to heathrow it could be a stressful end to the gig. Another option is rather than staying around the o2 you stay somewhere like Green Park (20 min tube ride from O2) and then it's a tube direct to Heathrow in the morning (50mins on tube). Really nice area of London too. 

This is a good route planning website for options: https://www.rome2rio.com/ 
  • Options
    Great stuff! 
  • Options
    Green park is a really good idea. Heathrow is not really a nice place to stay for a London visit!
  • Options
    cd21millercd21miller Columbia, MO Posts: 302
    Hey Londoners - trying to work out a quick trip in for the show(s) and would be coming into Stansted. Flights leave early in the morning...should we head back toward Stansted after the show? Let's put it this way - let's say you're coming in to Stansted early on the 18th...may do both shows (if tix work out) and then would leave on the 20th at 0730. Where would you stay or how would you do the trip logistics? I've only been to London once and just for a day, so not real familiar with it all. Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,527
    Pre Party at Hollywood bowl O2. Reserved space for 50 or so. No need to fight all the bars :)
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• Options
    Gingerlou77Gingerlou77 Posts: 429
    Hey Londoners - trying to work out a quick trip in for the show(s) and would be coming into Stansted. Flights leave early in the morning...should we head back toward Stansted after the show? Let's put it this way - let's say you're coming in to Stansted early on the 18th...may do both shows (if tix work out) and then would leave on the 20th at 0730. Where would you stay or how would you do the trip logistics? I've only been to London once and just for a day, so not real familiar with it all. Thanks in advance!
    Stansted is a bit of a pain.... i think if it were me I'd stay centrally after the first gig and then head straight to the airport after the second and just crash there. how long is your flight? 
  • Options
    dannyfletcherdannyfletcher Posts: 120
    edited May 2018

Not from the O2, but this is from the O2 website for its smaller venues across the UK. My partner has taken her niece when 14, and got in ok, but she got her to dress up more than she would, make up to look a bit older. Prior to that she had to go in the seated section.

Below from O2 website -------------------------------

It’s always best to check the age restrictions for each event in advance as they vary from show to show.

A few obvious ones:

No under 8s please (think about it), but feel free to contact us if you’re unsure and avoid disappointment.

8-13 years, you’ll need to attend with an adult (18+).

Some shows are 14+ but if you're under 16 – we’ll translate – that means if you’re between 14 years and 16 years, you’ll need to come with an adult (someone 18+) and only book balcony tickets please. 

Always look for admission age policies and signs such as 14+, 16+, 18+, 21+  before you book and remember to carry proof of age if you need it.

We have a breathalyser policy in place at the front doors and anyone under 18 suspected of consuming alcohol will be refused entry. 

Find out more about age restrictions and what we accept as ID in our

Edit - This from the O2 arena

Children under 15 must be accompanied by an adult aged 18 or over. Children under 16 cannot enter the standing area.

Sorry - i am sure you will be able to get swapped easy enough :)
    Post edited by dannyfletcher on