Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    I would give my left toe to be in the building right now
  • Chris1401Chris1401 Posts: 354
    brianlux said:
    Chris1401 said:
    Looking forward to tonight and tomorrow. 
    Are you going?  Wish I were!
    Yes sir. Just got down to the venue. A good vibe. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Chris1401 said:
    brianlux said:
    Chris1401 said:
    Looking forward to tonight and tomorrow. 
    Are you going?  Wish I were!
    Yes sir. Just got down to the venue. A good vibe. 
    Excellent!  Would love to hear anything you care to share about the show!  I'll bet you're roickin'g hard down there in Bakersfield!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

edited May 2018
    Great show. Seemed liked the longest set of the pop up shows. Crowd was good and Neil seems like he just wants to let loose. First two song encore of the recent shows. Highlights for me were Fuckin Up, Like a Hurricane and Love to Burn. 
    Post edited by Chris1401 on
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    goldrush said:
     Neil was heard saying “fuck this, pack it up boys” at one point 
    Haha. Made me laugh.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited May 2018
    Neil and the guys are going after it tonight. Something is up for the last show. 

1. Love to Burn
    2. Mansion on the Hill
    3. Country Home
    4. Don’t Cry No Tears
    5. Winterlong 

.....and i stopped counting.

they pulled out Hey Hey My My and the encore was a long Down by the River.

Bill Walton, Daryl Hannah and Elliot Roberts were in the house. 

Great freakin show! 
    Post edited by Chris1401 on
    What the hell is Love to Give and Wintertime ? :D 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    What the hell is Love to Give and Wintertime ? :D 
    haha! My exuberance got to me! It’s been updated. 
    Anyone know what the deal with these shows were? Warm up? One offs? 
    Chris1401 said:
    Great show. Seemed liked the longest set of the pop up shows. Crowd was good and Neil seems like he just wants to let loose. First two song encore of the recent shows. Highlights for me were Fuckin Up, Like a Hurricane and Love to Burn. 
    Great to hear! 
    Excellent question.  Somewhere, I read Neil said something about him believing this was the beginning a wonder new phase for Crazy Horse.  I hope so!  I sure hope an album and/or DVD is released from these shows.  That would be most excellent!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

They were filming both nights. Just looked like one camera guy. 
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    There may not be that much variation, but these have been some great-looking Crazy Horse set lists that's for sure.

1.            Love To Burn

2.            Mansion On The Hill

3.            Country Home

4.            Don't Cry No Tears

5.            Winterlong

6.            The Losing End

7.            Speakin' Out

8.            World On A String

9.            Scattered (Let's Think About Livin')

10.          F*!#in' Up

11.          Too Far Gone

12.          Only Love Can Break Your Heart

13.          Cinnamon Girl

14.          Cortez The Killer

15.          Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black)

16.          Roll Another Number

---

17.          Down By The River

I keep re-watching World On A String from Fresno night 1. It's probably my favourite TTN song, it sounds great on the Roxy album, and it was great to see it played (on a small screen anyway) this week.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    edited May 2018
    brianlux said:
    Chris1401 said:
    Great to hear! 
    Excellent question.  Somewhere, I read Neil said something about him believing this was the beginning a wonder new phase for Crazy Horse.  I hope so!  I sure hope an album and/or DVD is released from these shows.  That would be most excellent!

“We hope to see you down the road somewhere...”

So there’s always hope...

Post edited by goldrush on

(Tim Rogers)

Interesting story on Yahoo today...

Neil Young to finally release animated 'Trans' film: 'People will hear the album the way I wanted'

Last week, Neil Young reunited with Crazy Horse at intimate Fresno and Bakersfield gigs, his first performances with the band in four years. Young tells Yahoo Entertainment that his sprawling Neil Young Archives site, which will include almost everything the prolific rock icon has recorded over the past five decades, will soon feature “four or five Crazy Horse albums that have never been heard, that are sitting there ready to come out.” But Young seems even more excited about another imminent archives addition: one of his most polarizing, fascinating, and misunderstood releases, 1982’s Trans.

First, a little background: In the early ’80s, Young left his longtime label Reprise to sign with Geffen, which guaranteed him $1 million per album and complete creative control. Young’s first Geffen effort was the wildly creative Trans, a Kraftwerkian, vocoder- and synthesizer-heavy electronic album that couldn’t have been more different from his classic Harvest album released a decade earlier. Trans was a true passion project for Young, as it was recorded as a way for him to communicate with his son Ben, who was born with cerebral palsy. But Geffen execs were less than thrilled with Young’s radical new direction, and in 1983 the label filed a lawsuit against the singer-songwriter, claiming he’d produced deliberately “uncommercial and unrepresentative work.”

“Some people loved Trans; a lot of people, they were just lost,” Young says with a shrug. “But without the [accompanying planned] video, it’s like really half of a letter, cut down the middle.” According to Jimmy McDonough’s Neil Young biography, Shakey, at the time Young wanted to make the long-form Trans video, depicting “electronic-voice people who were working in a hospital, and the one thing they were trying to do is teach this little baby to push a button,” which would have clarified what the album was about. “It didn’t come out because Geffen Records pulled the funding for the videos because they didn’t like the record,” Young tells Yahoo. “I’d never had anything like that happen. Because it didn’t sound like Harvest, and they wanted me to make Harvest, they ultimately ended up suing me for not making Harvest.”

But now, via the Neil Young Archives, the 35-minute Trans film, “a very touching and moving story about artificial intelligence and communication disorders,” will finally get the green light.

“I can’t wait until that comes out, because then people will hear Trans the way I wanted them to hear it in the first place,” Young says enthusiastically. “The original Trans album will be part of the archives, but the real thing about Trans is, [son of Willie Nelson and frequent Young collaborator] Micah Nelson and I are doing an animated video of the story of Trans, so that you can see all the characters. Every song has got characters; a lot of the characters go from song to song. There’s a factory where they’re making people, and they’re making like clones of people, and computerized versions. When I sing, it’s me but it’s not me, it’s my ‘Neil 2’ that’s singing ‘Mr. Soul’ and other songs.

“This is what I wanted to do in the first place, and then the record company made me put it out without the videos, because they didn’t believe in the record, because it wasn’t Harvest. It would’ve been great [if the Trans video had come out in ’82], but it wasn’t to be. But we’re doing it now.”

(Tim Rogers)
  • Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,249
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:
    Setlist from night 3. Love And Only Love in as the opener:

Love And Only Love
    Big Time
    Don't Cry No Tears
    Winterlong
    Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
    The Losing End
    World On A String
    Scattered
    Fuckin Up
    Cinnamon Girl
    Cortez The Killer
    Too Far Gone
    Country Home

Encore:
    Roll Another Number

Apparently the crowd wasn’t too great for this one. Neil was heard saying “fuck this, pack it up boys” at one point 
    I heard similar remarks on the Hoffman forums site.  Apparently several in the crowd in attendance were old timers with puzzled looks on their faces like they were expecting a quiet night of acoustic stuff from Harvest or something.  How ON EARTH could a crowd at a NY and CH show not be supportive?  That blows my mind. 
    I experienced the same thing at a NYCH gig in Dublin, Ireland a few years back. Huge amounts of grumbling that there was no Old Man or Harvest Moon in the set. I don't know what people expect but if you want to hear that stuff you shouldn't be at a Crazy Horse gig.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
    Few unreleased Horse albums on the way according to Neil:

https://www.spin.com/2018/05/neil-young-five-unheard-crazy-horse-albums-trans-film/
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    We assuming they recorded before the shows seeing as it was just after a full moon?
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:
    Chris1401 said:
    Great to hear! 

“We hope to see you down the road somewhere...”

So there’s always hope...

Sounds like some more NYCH dates are coming
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    Neil is doing 6 solo shows in June-July.

June 28 ST LOUIS
    June 30 July 1 CHICAGO 
    July 3 DETROIT
    July 11/12 BOSTON
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com

(Tim Rogers)
    edited May 2018
    The Visitor, with POTR
    Homecoming solo show
    The Archives launch
    Paradox movie and soundtrack
    Roxy archive release
    Crazy Horse shows, with Nils
    Trans animated film announced
    Buffalo Springfield box set announced
    Solo tour announced

That’s just the last 6 months! Even by Neil’s standards, he’s been crazy busy this year.
    Post edited by goldrush on

(Tim Rogers)

Muddy Track is streaming now in NYA Movie Night. It’s interesting to watch, but you can tell why it was never released!

(Tim Rogers)
    Ouch!  He's got the main riff at the beginning wrong.  Back to the drums, Dave! 

A long post on Neil’s Facebook page today, including confirmation of the pricing for the Archives subscription after June 1st:

“I want to share with you that I have made a place for my music to live.

It will also be the place where I live on the web. I won’t be here.

I wanted a place where I could hear my music from the very beginning, from the high school bands I was in, to my latest recordings-audio and visual. I wanted to be able to hear it all, all the sound, all the sound I heard when I made those records and poured my heart and soul into every one, the good and the bad, the great and the ‘should be gone’. They are all there in the new place.

A giant time machine cabinet.

There are files and files for years and years, all full of music. Albums and tracks, bits and pieces, manuscripts and art, film and video. I live there.

Each song is being backed up with the archival material that relates to it and to the creation of it, from song writing to band jams, the history of this music is there. It’s never finished, it is huge and growing. We work night and day expanding the window you can see this archival stuff through.

Come and visit the cabinet and take a look inside. If you like my music, this should be a good place to wander and spend the light and dark hours.

I am here now, reaching out to you, but I wont be here for long, I’ll be there at NYA with my music, new and old. I’ll be on the Timeline. Every day, I will be choosing the song of the day. I will be there writing, ruminatIng and ramblIng. We have a newspaper ( The Times-Contrarian ) full of updates, projects and upcoming events related to my music.

If you want to hear my music and would like to have the option to listen to it with all the depth and glory of high resolution,  it will be there. All my new records can be  heard there first, before they get released anywhere else. New unreleased albums from the archives, old unreleased albums from the archives. Will always be heard there first.

Our machine is a monster.

Tickets to all our shows will be offered there first, and occasionally we will have surprise live streams from our Hearse Theatre, for those who can’t attend. We just streamed the 5/5/18 NYCH Reunion. Right now we are offering the best seats in the house for a short series of SOLO shows in Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis and Boston to our NYA Community friends and members first, before tickets are made available to the public. After June 1, our presale tickets will be available to members only, so join us if you can.

The place is called NYA.

It stands for neilyoungarchives.com, in the language of the day.

It’s free to everyone now.

As of June 1 there will be memberships available at $1.99 a month, or $19.99 per year.

Parts of NYA will always be free.

You can always be there.

This place is made for you to get the best of me. I appreciate you and want you to always have the first choice.

Hope to see you there.

NYA
    neilyoungarchives.com

portable this fall. on the web now”

(Tim Rogers)
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Neil hasn't had much of a presence on facebook at all, so it seems little bit strange that he's acting like it was taking time away from anything. But whatever.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    $20 a year seems like a good deal (keep the penny, Neil).

I need Neil in my life right now... 
    Running through some Neil stuff on Spotify today - Ragged Glory, Weld, Broken Arrow and some random stuff on YouTube. Christ that man is a legend.