Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited April 2018
    brianlux said:
    lolobugg said:
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:
    New Lou Barlow 7” just arrived :smiley:

“Love Intervene” b/w “Don’t Like Changes” on bottle green vinyl (nice picture of Lou with his busted collar bone on the cover too!)

COOL!  Lou Barlow is great! 
    Without googling, who is he?

Bassist for Dinosaur, Jr.

the man behind Sebadoh.

I think t_n_g  was kidding. 

You were kidding, right, t? :lol:
    Nope.  All bands I never listened to.

Thank you for the history lesson.  I have heard a riff or two from D Jr that I liked.
    I assume too much!

Here's a cool video of Dinosaur Jr with J wrecking his hearing, Murph keeping good beats, and some cool bass playing my Lou, subject at hand:
    (An even better version of "The Lung" can be found on the DVD, "Dinosaur Jr, Live in the Middle East".  I've never been able to find that on YouTube, but if I had to name one all-time personal favorite live-on-film  music performance, that would be the one.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMjQVRWxbPI

Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Feel the pain
    Feel the pain
    Yes!  Love that song!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Oh my, the vinyl gods have been so good to me lately.  Picked this one up for a paltry 3 dollars.  What a fine album!  Vince Guaraldi  and Bola Sete,  Live at the El  Matador.

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,851
    brianlux said:
    Oh my, the vinyl gods have been so good to me lately.  Picked this one up for a paltry 3 dollars.  What a fine album!  Vince Guaraldi  and Bola Sete,  Live at the El  Matador.

Didn't that guy write the Peanuts theme?
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    brianlux said:

YES!!
    One of my favorite records (Charlie Brown Christmas)..although only gets a few spins a year.  It's been remastered a few times and is excellent.
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

YES!!
    One of my favorite records (Charlie Brown Christmas)..although only gets a few spins a year.  It's been remastered a few times and is excellent.
    See, I have no idea who the F Lou Barlow is but I know that Guaraldi wrote the damn Peanuts theme, lol.
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    edited May 2018
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    lolobugg said:
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:

“Love Intervene” b/w “Don’t Like Changes” on bottle green vinyl (nice picture of Lou with his busted collar bone on the cover too!)

the man behind Sebadoh.

Thank you for the history lesson.  I have heard a riff or two from D Jr that I liked.
    I assume too much!

Here's a cool video of Dinosaur Jr with J wrecking his hearing, Murph keeping good beats, and some cool bass playing my Lou, subject at hand:
    (An even better version of "The Lung" can be found on the DVD, "Dinosaur Jr, Live in the Middle East".  I've never been able to find that on YouTube, but if I had to name one all-time personal favorite live-on-film  music performance, that would be the one.)

Lou is also one of the nicest guys you could ever hope to meet. If you go to a Sebadoh show he’s usually behind the merch desk, not just to meet fans and sign autographs, he’s the one doing the selling. He’s really down to earth and is always happy to chat.

Sebadoh are still such a lo-fi band, it’s great. Jason and Lou have both recently done solo ‘house’ tours, where they’ve asked fans to suggest places to play. You can tell they don’t make that much money out of it - after Lou bust his collar bone, his dad joined his tour to drive the van - so I’ll always try to turn people on to them any chance I get
    Post edited by goldrush on
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    lolobugg said:
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:

the man behind Sebadoh.

I assume too much!

Lou is also one of the nicest guys you could ever hope to meet. If you go to a Sebadoh show he’s usually behind the mercy desk, not just to meet fans and sign autographs, he’s the one doing the selling. He’s really down to earth and is always happy to chat.

Sebadoh are still such a lo-fi band, it’s great. Jason and Lou have both recently done solo ‘house’ tours, where they’ve asked fans to suggest places to play. You can tell they don’t make that much money out of it - after Lou bust his collar bone, his dad joined his tour to drive the van - so I’ll always try to turn people on to them any chance I get
    Nice!

brianlux said:

Yeah, he did the A Charlie Brown Christmas album and Jazz Impressions of a Boy Named Charlie Brown which are great because they so cool plus they opened up the door for a lot of kids to appreciate jazz as they grew up.  And as great as those are, Guaraldi did so much more.  He was often kind of relegated to a pop-jazz genre but really, I (and many others) think he was an underrated jazz artist. His sound was deceptively "easy".  I think a lot of jazz snobs haven't really listened to him all that well.  I think we was one of the best and that he is easy to get into is no detriment to my way of thinking/hearing. One of his finest non-Peanuts works is the fine album, Cast Your Fate to the Wind:  Jazz Impressions of Black Orpheus.

Here's a great cut from that LP:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym5R67fH7Dc

• Just broke down and bought the Clapton complete record day box set off ebay.

Had to have it.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Yeah, he did the A Charlie Brown Christmas album and Jazz Impressions of a Boy Named Charlie Brown which are great because they so cool plus they opened up the door for a lot of kids to appreciate jazz as they grew up.  And as great as those are, Guaraldi did so much more.  He was often kind of relegated to a pop-jazz genre but really, I (and many others) think he was an underrated jazz artist. His sound was deceptively "easy".  I think a lot of jazz snobs haven't really listened to him all that well.  I think we was one of the best and that he is easy to get into is no detriment to my way of thinking/hearing. One of his finest non-Peanuts works is the fine album, Cast Your Fate to the Wind:  Jazz Impressions of Black Orpheus.

Here's a great cut from that LP:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym5R67fH7Dc

I'll be on the hunt for that album now.  TY!
    Just broke down and bought the Clapton complete record day box set off ebay.

Had to have it.
    Most of it is very, very good.  But I noticed on that some of the 80's recorded stuff (Pretending, Forever Man, etc.) are sub par compared to the rest.  Maybe the master tapes were digital or just not that high of quality.  Either way, 4 records for 50 bucks is a steal.  
  • mrussel1 said:

Had to have it.
    Most of it is very, very good.  But I noticed on that some of the 80's recorded stuff (Pretending, Forever Man, etc.) are sub par compared to the rest.  Maybe the master tapes were digital or just not that high of quality.  Either way, 4 records for 50 bucks is a steal.  
    For $50... yes. That's not what I paid though.

Oh well. Win some lose some.
    mrussel1 said:

Had to have it.

The list was $49... damn.. I hope you didn't get it seocnd market.  My store still had two available the other day when I was there.  I was surprised.  
  • mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Had to have it.

The list was $49... damn.. I hope you didn't get it seocnd market.  My store still had two available the other day when I was there.  I was surprised.  

Gall darnit.

I paid. Oh I paid.
  • DC29940DC29940 Tucson, AZ Posts: 630
    Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
  • I'm the champ today for my garage sale haul:

A nice condition original Joshua Tree sounds very good, much better than the other 80's U2 originals, IMO.  
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    The National-Sleep Well Beast 
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,971
    Muddy Waters - Electric Mud (from the Third Man Records Truck)
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,643
    New Damien Jurado and Arctic Monkeys
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Ament—Heaven & Hell 

arrived today & im looking forward to spinning it!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    I love it when I come across obscure albums but this one really has me stumped.  I could not find a single reference to it on the internet.  It's basically a party record with someone singing and someone playing piano with laughter and chatter in the background between cuts.  It's called "Hapi House Presents Tom 'n' Tiny at the Clorox Party".  With a cover like this and a title like that, for $1.79 how could I resist?!

• timdwillitimdwilli Los Angeles, CA Posts: 294

Decent little score for $9
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    How much did you have to give for Broken Arrow and Dead man?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    goldrush said:

Broken Arrow!
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    By far their greatest album IMHO, as great as Hot Fuss is. I absolutely love Sam's Town, and I'm stoked to spin it finally.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata