Options

Scammers telephoning

13»

Comments

• Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    PJ_Soul said:
    I answer all calls unless the number is obviously a junk number because I really don't see the point in not answering them. People act like not answering somehow makes a difference, but I don't see how, unless you are concerned about the possibility of falling for a scam yourself. I'm personally not worried about that at all. So either they are scam calls and I hang up and block the number, or they are legit calls. And I want those legit calls - I've found that not answering some of those can be a way bigger pain in the ass that answering them is.

anxiety is why i dont answer unrecognisable numbers. ive kept my life small enough that i know who it is that im likely to get a call from. 
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    I don't have caller ID.  I'm o-o-o-o-o-o-o-old school landline.  I have a cell phone but  I only use it when I'm on the road (not often).  I have no idea if that phone ever gets scammers but I suspect the text messages it gets might be scammers.  But I don't know because I don't know how to text message.

I know what you're thinking so don't say it...  :lol:
    No Caller ID ,,, get with the times ...
    No need to, really.  I've never felt the need for caller I.D., nor for an iPhone or a GPS or HDTV or an MP3 player or a Nintendo (although I do have an early 90's GameBoy that works great) or a Kindle.  I have none of those things and am quite happy without them.  As for getting with the times, I prefer to live on the edge of time or even out of time.  It's all a continuum anyway.  There is no time.
    I was being sarcastic ... good for you that you never felt the need to own all those fancy gadgets.  My phone contract is up in in a year, I'm seriously considering getting rid of a cell phone ... 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,469
    Not sure if anyone else does this, but do any of you fuck with the scammers? I only do this sometimes and usually have to be in right mood (1/2 in the bag) I give them all kinds of wrong information, ask them dumb questions that have nothing to do with why they calling and generally gets to the point where they hang up on me :) 
    you know how they always tell you the conversation is being recorded for future training purposes, I want to be that training message/call. I mean if I can get them to hang up, that has to be in the next training session...right? 
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Thankfully, I don't get scammers calling my cell phone. I do get a lot of wrong numbers because my number is 1 digit different than a local auto parts store. I don't answer numbers that I don't recognize and more than half of them leave a voice mail looking for some part. Delete delete delete.

Still have a landline (for some reason my wife is very hesitant to give that up) and we get 2 scammers in particular. The first is "Windows" calling to tell me that my computer is racked with viruses, malware, etc. I'm in IT and wanted to know exactly what they were trying to do. I figured they would tell me to download their antivirus, which, of course would be a virus itself. Turns out they were getting people to turn on remote access so they could take over your machine. When i had enough and busted the scammer for being a POS and preying on people that don't know better, he got extremely pissed off and almost violent sounding. The second call is the "IRS" telling me I'm behind 5 years on paying taxes and will go to jail if I don't settle it right then or there. I tell them to send the authorities to come get me and hang up.
    We get the same calls here.
    I've had the Windows calls, funny that I don't have Windows.
    Also, we get people claiming to be from the ATO (our version of the IRS) threatening people with jail if they do not pay up.
    so many people freak out about the ATO. they second guess themselves and lets face it who wants to owe the tax man money(even if they dont). but the ATO dont threatened.  theyre more into having a chat and sorting out the issue and how, if you do owe taxes, how that debt can be paid off.  
    What about the scams where the caller pretends to be the victims bank and they need him/her to provide their pin number/net bank password to deal with an issue.
    "oh ok thanks for the call. I'll go into  my branch tomorrow and sort it out. thanks for calling. " *click*  ;):)
    When that person from the "Telstra Internet Security Department" called me a few times last week, I told her that I'd call Telstra to confirm what she said because I don't trust her and she said that I cannot do that because I'd be put through to some billing team who won't help. 
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    edited May 2018
    BLACK35 said:
    Not sure if anyone else does this, but do any of you fuck with the scammers? I only do this sometimes and usually have to be in right mood (1/2 in the bag) I give them all kinds of wrong information, ask them dumb questions that have nothing to do with why they calling and generally gets to the point where they hang up on me :) 
    you know how they always tell you the conversation is being recorded for future training purposes, I want to be that training message/call. I mean if I can get them to hang up, that has to be in the next training session...right? 
    I love fucking with them. This idiot that called me last week, I played along pretending to be on my macbook going to the website she was telling me to go to. She kept asking what I see next to the control key on my mac and I kept saying "the any key" (reference to Homer Simpson trying to find the any key" and she got frustrated at my "lack of computer skills". 

When I was playing Luke Skywalker sound bits she kept getting confused haha
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014