Europe Tour Routing/Transportation

Comments

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    Red Lukin said:
    Here's my options in order:

1) wait to buy a direct day train ticket
    2) over night train ticket

If none of those pan out, I may

3) rent private transportation (maybe the 8 seater and get 6 others to split)
    4) or rent my own van.  I'd go this route but with the drop off fee it's cheaper to just go the private transportation route.
    You still up for option #3? I think you said you reserved a seat with out a ticket for the direct train. I have been trying to get a hold of Flixbus to ask them why there night bus option has not updated past the 14th of June but they are not responding. 
  • Gingerlou77Gingerlou77 Posts: 429
    The Rock said:
    The Rock said:
    Options for Krakow to Berlin are pretty crap right now.
    Overnight train departs at 17:30, has two changes and gets to Berlin at 10:48am which is later than I'd like to be arriving on the day of the show.

So, the other options are day trips via train or bus, leaving at 09:20 on July 4th and arriving in Berlin at 17:15 which takes out our plans to go to Auschwitz.  I don't know what to do.
    What about overnight travel from Prague to Krakow on 2nd. Auschwitz on 3rd, travel to Berlin on 4th...? 
    I would do that, but my friend who has never seen the band before wants to queue so we can be close to the front on the 3rd. So no time for Auschwitz!
    I hear ya, I'm lining up on 3rd too!
  • The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,355
    The Rock said:
    The Rock said:
    Overnight train departs at 17:30, has two changes and gets to Berlin at 10:48am which is later than I'd like to be arriving on the day of the show.

So, the other options are day trips via train or bus, leaving at 09:20 on July 4th and arriving in Berlin at 17:15 which takes out our plans to go to Auschwitz.  I don't know what to do.
    What about overnight travel from Prague to Krakow on 2nd. Auschwitz on 3rd, travel to Berlin on 4th...? 
    I would do that, but my friend who has never seen the band before wants to queue so we can be close to the front on the 3rd. So no time for Auschwitz!
    Excellent! We'll bring drinks :)

So yeah, still stuck on how to get to Berlin.  There is a direct overnight train to Berlin overnight, but it's from Warsaw. So we'd have to get the train from Krakow to Warsaw which is 2.5 hrs. We would have to get the 18:49 train to arrive at Warsaw at 21:04, and then the train to Berlin is 22:10 I think. 

It's an option, but still cuts into our day plans for Auschwitz.
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
  • Cal.PJ.CCal.PJ.C Posts: 180
    PJNB said:
    Cal.PJ.C said:
    So the first minute tickets are sold out?
    I am hitchhiking with you. 
    Its only 280 miles...ha

So you can book a full price ticket for the 10.24 train but not an advance ticket...

I'd rather do the night bus then pay €53 for a train
  • SpinTheLastExitSpinTheLastExit Edinburgh, Scotland Posts: 398
    The Rock said:
    The Rock said:
    The Rock said:

Excellent! We'll bring drinks :)

So yeah, still stuck on how to get to Berlin.  There is a direct overnight train to Berlin overnight, but it's from Warsaw. So we'd have to get the train from Krakow to Warsaw which is 2.5 hrs. We would have to get the 18:49 train to arrive at Warsaw at 21:04, and then the train to Berlin is 22:10 I think. 

It's an option, but still cuts into our day plans for Auschwitz.
    I'm a bit stuck on what to do to get to Berlin as well. There's a bus during the day, apparently takes 6-7 hours. Might do that but I hate buses so much.
    2012 – Manchester II
    2014 – Amsterdam I & II, Gdynia, Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2016 – Wrigley I & II
    2017 – Amsterdam III [EV]
    2018 – London I, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Wrigley I & II
    2019 – Dublin [EV]
    2022 – Copenhagen, Hyde Park I, St. Louis
    2023 – Chicago I & II
    Cal.PJ.C said:
    PJNB said:
    Cal.PJ.C said:
    So the first minute tickets are sold out?
    I am hitchhiking with you. 
    Its only 280 miles...ha

So you can book a full price ticket for the 10.24 train but not an advance ticket...

I'd rather do the night bus then pay €53 for a train
    Flixbus got back to me and it was pretty much your standard answer that did not help at all. There is a day bus that leaves at 9:15 - 17:30 and is direct if anyone is interested in that option. 

With regards to Krakow to Berlin. I know it is not for everyone but there is a Lufthansa flight that leaves at 6:00am on the 4th with a stop in Munich. It gets into Berlin at 9:00am and costs 115 Euros/$180 Canadian when you book a return (I will not be using that part). If a couple of others are interested I would book that for sure and we could watch out for each other at the airport and get a quick sleep on the short plane ride hopefully. Not ideal for most but I do not need much sleep
    ^ It looks like we'll have to do some sort of day travel, but it just means we won't get to do Auschwitz :/
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    PJNB, I'm pretty sure I booked the tickets. Not just a reservation.  I paid like 700 CZK not the 70 is showed for the reservation.

I made a couple of posts regarding private transportation but didn't get enough interest.  I didn't wanna work too hard for it.  I still may do auschwitz on the 3rd before the show.

Toughest decision is I hear Krakow is a great city to visit so with spending a day in auschwitz will I regret not seeing the city more?
  • dogrockitdogrockit Posts: 115
    Hey all. I reserved on the PJ car #349 in the empty seat next to michaeljam's wife. Didn't get a first minute ticket so will be paying full freight. #$%&! I noticed that the train stops in Oswiecim (Aushwitz) around 14:45 so I intend to get off there, tour Auschwitz (3.5 hrs) then take a train or bus to Krakow afterwards. Apparently there is a bag check at the Auschwitz museum. Let me know if anyone wants to join.
    04:24 train is going to be up in a couple of weeks. Anyone interested in that one or is everyone on the direct train but me :lol:  

• BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    edited May 2018
    I'm in Car 349 also, with the wife. Seats 105 and 96 (I think).

Apologies if this has been brought up earlier, but do we know when Krakow to Berlin train tickets will become available?
    Krakow to Berlin train tickets became available today but they seem to be sold out already. No matter what price/seat I choose the DB site says seats are no longer available. I was able to secure seats on the bus though.

https://www.bahn.com/en/view/offers/bus/krakow-berlin.shtml

The bus is actually a shorter trip then the train, there are no transfers, and it is pretty damn cheap. Looks like there is wifi as well. 

Another plus is that the bus leaves at 9:20 AM as opposed to 6:40 AM so you don’t have to wake up so early after the Krakow show.
    Post edited by BS44325 on
  • SpinTheLastExitSpinTheLastExit Edinburgh, Scotland Posts: 398
    Re: Krakow to Berlin.

I think I'm going to get that 9.20am to 5.15pm bus. Seems like the best way to do it and it's not that expensive.
    2012 – Manchester II
    2014 – Amsterdam I & II, Gdynia, Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2016 – Wrigley I & II
    2017 – Amsterdam III [EV]
    2018 – London I, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Wrigley I & II
    2019 – Dublin [EV]
    2022 – Copenhagen, Hyde Park I, St. Louis
    2023 – Chicago I & II
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    PJNB said:
    04:24 train is going to be up in a couple of weeks. Anyone interested in that one or is everyone on the direct train but me :lol:  

I'm not on that direct train either.

I may have to Hitchhike to Krakow.

I'm just glad i have transportation all setup from Krakow to Berlin.
    Where are you guys booking these tickets every site I go on it says they're not on sale 
  • CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,989
    Cal.PJ.C said:
    Where are you guys booking these tickets every site I go on it says they're not on sale 
    There were "first minute"' tickets available.  They sold out.  There are still seats available, but not yet for sale.
    edited May 2018
    Here are the best options so far to go to Berlin imo. The bottom option is the bus. 

Got Krakow to Berlin booked now just need Prague to Krakow 
    Cal.PJ.C said:
    What did you decide with for Krakow to Berlin?
    PJNB said:
    Cal.PJ.C said:
    Overnight train on the Wednesday...leaves Krakow at 23:55 and gets to Berlin for 12:00 the day of the gig

That way I get at least one whole day in Krakow
    Cal.PJ.C said:
    PJNB said:
    Cal.PJ.C said:
    Overnight train on the Wednesday...leaves Krakow at 23:55 and gets to Berlin for 12:00 the day of the gig

Nice option. I am really kicking myself for not adding an extra day to my trip on the end. I could of done something similar and explored Berlin on the 6th. 

There is a lot of day bus options from Prague to Krakow. Are you interested in any of those? Still holding out hope of a night bus...
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,413
    PJNB said:
    Cal.PJ.C said:
    PJNB said:
    Cal.PJ.C said:

Nice option. I am really kicking myself for not adding an extra day to my trip on the end. I could of done something similar and explored Berlin on the 6th. 

There is a lot of day bus options from Prague to Krakow. Are you interested in any of those? Still holding out hope of a night bus...
    You are out for the morning train??
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
    23scidoo said:
    PJNB said:
    Cal.PJ.C said:
    PJNB said:
    Cal.PJ.C said:

No not at all. I was unable to book during the early sale and just keeping my options opened. You guys have a seat reserved but not payed for? 
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,413
    PJNB said:
    23scidoo said:
    PJNB said:
    Cal.PJ.C said:
    PJNB said:
    Cal.PJ.C said:

No not at all. I was unable to book during the early sale and just keeping my options opened. You guys have a seat reserved but not payed for? 
    Yes..Cutz got nothing..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
    PJNB said:
    Cal.PJ.C said:
    PJNB said:
    Cal.PJ.C said:

Where are you travelling from? I'm hoping for a night bus to Krakow don't want to waste a day on trains 
    Cal.PJ.C said:
    PJNB said:
    Cal.PJ.C said:
    PJNB said:
    Cal.PJ.C said:

Where are you travelling from? I'm hoping for a night bus to Krakow don't want to waste a day on trains 

Landing into Prague from Canada on the 1st and was hoping for a night bus after the show to Krakow. There is an option that is available until June 14th but it does not update after that. I asked them about it and they had no info on it. There is a night train but it leaves too early and the show would still be on and I do not want to arrive in Krakow the day of the show. 
    So the only direct route Krakow to Berlin is the bus? The price has gone up since I last checked, too :anguished:

PJNB said:
    Cal.PJ.C said:
    PJNB said:
    Cal.PJ.C said:
    PJNB said:
    Cal.PJ.C said:

Landing into Prague from Canada on the 1st and was hoping for a night bus after the show to Krakow. There is an option that is available until June 14th but it does not update after that. I asked them about it and they had no info on it. There is a night train but it leaves too early and the show would still be on and I do not want to arrive in Krakow the day of the show. 
    Hopefully that night bus comes through 
  • ajdolan1ajdolan1 Chicago Posts: 5
    Booked the overnight train 10:19 on 7/2 getting in at 638am on the 3rd (Prague to Krakow). there are 4 of us so we booked two sleeping cars w showers, we used RailEurope.com and actually called the company  - they are mailing tickets to us. Not sure if anyone else did or is going to do this but seems speaking to a human and getting a ticket order # with delivery will put the mind as ease if going this route considering so many different aspects of this are in the air.
  • Gingerlou77Gingerlou77 Posts: 429
    ajdolan1 said:
    Booked the overnight train 10:19 on 7/2 getting in at 638am on the 3rd (Prague to Krakow). there are 4 of us so we booked two sleeping cars w showers, we used RailEurope.com and actually called the company  - they are mailing tickets to us. Not sure if anyone else did or is going to do this but seems speaking to a human and getting a ticket order # with delivery will put the mind as ease if going this route considering so many different aspects of this are in the air.
    Hey, I booked this direct and have my eticket to print. I think you do pay more through an agent, thats the only thing. 
    Another option for those that have not booked yet is to book directly with Lufthansa. You can do a multicity Prague to Krakow - Krakow to Berlin search and get it all in for 210 Euro/326CAD/250USD. 

The options are as follows for times to fly. Each flight has a stop though but still fairly fast. Anyone crazy enough to choose one of these options with me?