Every day is Earth Day. Let's talk about ways to make it better.

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Yes Brian. Support Saudi Arabia, but also why they have their hands in the Middle East in general, either with support or aggression or as world police, and obviously why they keep up their relationship with Israel no matter what.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yes Brian. Support Saudi Arabia, but also why they have their hands in the Middle East in general, either with support or aggression or as world police, and obviously why they keep up their relationship with Israel no matter what.
    Yeah, what a mess, huh?  Will it even end (before the gas runs out)?  Seems like not.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    I read this in an German article. 
    I searched for one in English and that's what I found. 

If we don't stop mistreating our nature, nature will someday stop us...
    http://www.canindia.com/scientists-confirm-growing-oxygen-less-dead-zone-in-gulf-of-oman/
    kce8 said:

http://www.canindia.com/scientists-confirm-growing-oxygen-less-dead-zone-in-gulf-of-oman/
    So true, kce. Several decades ago, Jacques-Yves Cousteau warned us that if the seas die, we die.  We seem to not be heeding that warning.  Very sad.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Best thing to happen to the planet would be for humans to go extinct ... there are just way too many people on this planet at point for any environmental initiatives to solve much.  Look, yesterday ford announced they will only be building 2 models of cars, they will only be building crossovers, suvs, light trucks and trucks...and Ford didn't make this decision because they hate the planet...their customers are demanding these vehicles...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    brianlux said:
    kce8 said:

So true, kce. Several decades ago, Jacques-Yves Cousteau warned us that if the seas die, we die.  We seem to not be heeding that warning.  Very sad.

And there is always the same question: 
    What more or how long does it take to make us get the fuck up and do something all together? 

... ahh but hey "There is no global warming!" and "Lets sent a floating nuclear power station around the world" or "Go on fracking and pumping millions of toxics into the earth... Naa, it's not men made... all the scientists are getting paid to make people fear...  psss
    (can't handle my anger without sarcasm when it comes to stuff like that :( )
    Best thing to happen to the planet would be for humans to go extinct ... there are just way too many people on this planet at point for any environmental initiatives to solve much.  Look, yesterday ford announced they will only be building 2 models of cars, they will only be building crossovers, suvs, light trucks and trucks...and Ford didn't make this decision because they hate the planet...their customers are demanding these vehicles...

kce8 said:
    brianlux said:
    kce8 said:

And there is always the same question: 
    What more or how long does it take to make us get the fuck up and do something all together? 

... ahh but hey "There is no global warming!" and "Lets sent a floating nuclear power station around the world" or "Go on fracking and pumping millions of toxics into the earth... Naa, it's not men made... all the scientists are getting paid to make people fear...  psss
    (can't handle my anger without sarcasm when it comes to stuff like that :( )
    I totally get the feeling that we're screwed, that humans probably won't stop self destructing, the angry reactions, the futility, all of it.  I often feel that way myself.  But I still follow the notion that it's worth trying to get the word out, trying to make push a little against the mountain of resistance and stupidity, if for no other reason than to lessen the damage a little and try not leave the world inhospitable for those who follow after.

Good luck ... as long as people continue to over populate the planet, the planet is screwd.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Good luck ... as long as people continue to over populate the planet, the planet is screwd.  
    Thanks, we need it, haha!  Yes, overpopulation is one of (maybe THE) root  cause of the problem.

edited April 2018
    brianlux said:
    Thanks, we need it, haha!  Yes, overpopulation is one of (maybe THE) root  cause of the problem.
    Here's the way I see it.  The vast majority of earths population are likely poor people.  We all no oil and coal is bad for the planet, but they are also attainable for even poor people/countries to afford electricity, fuel, natural gas...I think you get the point.  If electric vehicles were on the verge of taking off I have no doubt the big automakers would be pushing this...once again I'n no expert, but the major auto companies sell to the masses...most of the masses can only afford reasonably priced autos...however, I am beginning to wonder what reasonably priced is these days.  Species go extinct constantly, probably from the beginning of time ... new species are found.  What make humans think they can not go extinct ... and if we do, so what...maybe that the circle.  We are no more special than my pet Dog...we are arrogant enough to think we are...that the mistake we are making.
    Post edited by Meltdown99 on
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:
    Here's the way I see it.  The vast majority of earths population are likely poor people.  We all no oil and coal is bad for the planet, but they are also attainable for even poor people/countries to afford electricity, fuel, natural gas...I think you get the point.  If electric vehicles were on the verge of taking off I have no doubt the big automakers would be pushing this...once again I'n no expert, but the major auto companies sell to the masses...most of the masses can only afford reasonably priced autos...however, I am beginning to wonder what reasonably priced is these days.  Species go extinct constantly, probably from the beginning of time ... new species are found.  What make humans think they can not go extinct ... and if we do, so what...maybe that the circle.  We are no more special than my pet Dog...we are arrogant enough to think we are...that the mistake we are making.
    I would definitely put homo sapiens on the "endangered species" list.  Without a doubt.

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    I would definitely put homo sapiens on the "endangered species" list.  Without a doubt.
    I for one don't law wake worrying about the planet, it's out of my control...

Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I don't either.  Truly.  I don't worry about the really big things.  That's a waste of time.  I do try to do my little minuscule part to make a difference in the big things, that's all.

No, what I lay awake for (when I do) are the little things.  Will the mice come back into my attic or the rats into my car's engine?  Will my neck still be sore in the more (yes, its is)?   Will my neighbor cut down the bushes that provide a little privacy between our houses (yes, he did)?  That kind of thing.

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I don't either.  Truly.  I don't worry about the really big things.  That's a waste of time.  I do try to do my little minuscule part to make a difference in the big things, that's all.

No, what I lay awake for (when I do) are the little things.  Will the mice come back into my attic or the rats into my car's engine?  Will my neck still be sore in the more (yes, its is)?   Will my neighbor cut down the bushes that provide a little privacy between our houses (yes, he did)?  That kind of thing.
    I hear about the rats.  Had a rat problem last winter as well.  I tried everything, then I noticed a couple stray cats ... have not seen a rat in a while...well that's not totally true, turn on the news and the rats are disguised a politicians brainwashing people that they care.

When it comes to the environment ... I just try to do my part.  I got reasons why I will not get behind the politicians and their cap n trade or carbon tax scam...partly because in Ontario the current front runner in the up coming election  has vowed to get rid of the cap n trade scam...our current premier who's is less popular than Trump, has stated that getting rid of the cap n trade scam will cost 40 000 public sector jobs...I thought carbon taxes and cap n trade was intended to fund environmental initiatives.  It appears that in Ontario, it's just another tax...We could use to shed some of the bloated public sector.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    My step-daughter made a wonderful post of FB today that was super inspiring.  I've been trying to do my little part for decades and at times, when I see the mess we're in, I just get plain discouraged.  So her words were a real inspiration and I learned something so simple I can't believe I didn't know (or at least remember) it- bamboo straws.  She carries one with her because she likes to drink with a straw and bamboo is so much better than plastic.  She going to give me one when I see her this week end.  One little thing like that times a few billion could really make a difference.  I'm so happy to be re-inspired!

Banning straws is another ill conceived plan ... a quick google search revealed 6 bamboo straws $9.50, now that was a quick search...but hospitals, nursing/seniors home, disabled people needs the of use of straws...and these places need the use of re-usable straws...once again for the masses it comes down to cost effectiveness...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Banning straws is another ill conceived plan ... a quick google search revealed 6 bamboo straws $9.50, now that was a quick search...but hospitals, nursing/seniors home, disabled people needs the of use of straws...and these places need the use of re-usable straws...once again for the masses it comes down to cost effectiveness...
    If we take the negative approach by using the phrase it "banning" people are going to get turned off.  I'd rather take the positive approach and encourage people.  Sure, bamboo is more expensive but they are reusable.  In the long run, that means less expensive.  It's also useful to consider that creating a healthier environment is going to cost in the short run, save (in more ways than one!) in the long run.

Kurt Vonnegut once said:

“If flying-saucer creatures or angels or whatever were to come here in a hundred years, say, and find us gone like the dinosaurs, what might be a good message for humanity to leave for them, maybe carved in great big letters on a Grand Canyon wall? “Here is this old poop’s suggestion: WE PROBABLY COULD HAVE SAVED OURSELVES, BUT WERE TOO DAMNED LAZY TO TRY VERY HARD… We might well add this: AND TOO DAMN CHEAP.”

brianlux said:
    If we take the negative approach by using the phrase it "banning" people are going to get turned off.  I'd rather take the positive approach and encourage people.  Sure, bamboo is more expensive but they are reusable.  In the long run, that means less expensive.  It's also useful to consider that creating a healthier environment is going to cost in the short run, save (in more ways than one!) in the long run.

Kurt Vonnegut once said:

“If flying-saucer creatures or angels or whatever were to come here in a hundred years, say, and find us gone like the dinosaurs, what might be a good message for humanity to leave for them, maybe carved in great big letters on a Grand Canyon wall? “Here is this old poop’s suggestion: WE PROBABLY COULD HAVE SAVED OURSELVES, BUT WERE TOO DAMNED LAZY TO TRY VERY HARD… We might well add this: AND TOO DAMN CHEAP.”
    Yes they are renewable ... I just do not see hospitals, nursing homes/senior homes, people who work with the disabled or even restaurants switching over to re-usable  straws just because of risk of improper sterilization happening...I do find it humorous that many of these politicians who want straws banned, seem to never mention all the other unnecessary plastic that could easily be banned ... like bottled water/pop...hmmm...could it be these politicians are bought off by the water/plastic industry...the straw industry needs better lobbyist...the poor old straw, probably never saw this ill conceived attack coming...time to hire lobbyist, donate a few buck to the right politicians and plastic straws live on in infamy...happily ever after.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:

Kurt Vonnegut once said:

Yes they are renewable ... I just do not see hospitals, nursing homes/senior homes, people who work with the disabled or even restaurants switching over to re-usable  straws just because of risk of improper sterilization happening...I do find it humorous that many of these politicians who want straws banned, seem to never mention all the other unnecessary plastic that could easily be banned ... like bottled water/pop...hmmm...could it be these politicians are bought off by the water/plastic industry...the straw industry needs better lobbyist...the poor old straw, probably never saw this ill conceived attack coming...time to hire lobbyist, donate a few buck to the right politicians and plastic straws live on in infamy...happily ever after.
    Problem solved: disposable bamboo paper straws, $3.29 for 24.  Reusable when possible is best of course, but at least these are not going to add more plastic to our oceans. 

When it comes to environment, there is always a reasonable solution.  Always.  We just need to look for them and want them.  They are there.

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Kurt Vonnegut once said:

Problem solved: disposable bamboo paper straws, $3.29 for 24.  Reusable when possible is best of course, but at least these are not going to add more plastic to our oceans. 

When it comes to environment, there is always a reasonable solution.  Always.  We just need to look for them and want them.  They are there.

How is 3.29 reasonable for 24 straws when you are dealing with thousands of patients.  Ontario hospital budgets are at their limits.  Straws are not a priority...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Kurt Vonnegut once said:

How is 3.29 reasonable for 24 straws when you are dealing with thousands of patients.  Ontario hospital budgets are at their limits.  Straws are not a priority...
    That's retail for customers like you and me.  If the hospitals said, "Look, we're gonna start ordering these by the thousands.  Make us a deal."  If the product is in demand, the price would drop, right?  Of course.

OK, so lets stop here a minute and let me ask you a question.  Are we just doing this as a practice in debate or is this about making the world a better place?  Because, look, with all due respect man, I'm not really interested in a debate here.  I'm interested in getting the plastic out of the ocean, slowing climate change, reducing pollution, slowing human caused species loss.  If none of this is of interest to you fine, let me know, I'll butt out of this discussion.  If these things do interest you, then please come up with some viable solutions with me instead of just shooting down every suggestion I make.  OK? Thanks.

Knock yourself out it you think it'll make a difference ... 

I imagine hospitals/restaurants/seniors homes will never switch due to the risk of improper sterilization...
    Give Peas A Chance…

I imagine hospitals/restaurants/seniors homes will never switch due to the risk of improper sterilization...
    OK, so you just want to deride my comments or argue.  Fine.  It looks like we are done here.  I am.  Adios.

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    edited May 2018
    earth day, or the worship of the earth ceased when the patriarchy took over.  they thought they were right.. turns out they were so very wrong. 

#chicksrule
    Post edited by catefrances on
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Hospitals far over use straws. The default is to give every patient drinks in plastic cups with lids and straws even when there is no medical need for it. Its just habit, and can and should be shaken up. Same with nursing homes. 

For those who really do need to use straws, if for some reason they needed to be plastic and disposable then that could be accommodated. Almost every “ban” has exceptions where need is proven. The key is not to automatically insist that nothing changes just because that’s the easy route. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    Hospitals far over use straws. The default is to give every patient drinks in plastic cups with lids and straws even when there is no medical need for it. Its just habit, and can and should be shaken up. Same with nursing homes. 

For those who really do need to use straws, if for some reason they needed to be plastic and disposable then that could be accommodated. Almost every “ban” has exceptions where need is proven. The key is not to automatically insist that nothing changes just because that’s the easy route. 
    I don't know about hospitals in BC but here in Ontario hospital staff are too busy to worry about who gets a drink with a plastic straw or not, same with senior/nursing homes...not to mention many hospitals have out sourced their food services...
    Give Peas A Chance…

brianlux said:

OK, so you just want to deride my comments or argue.  Fine.  It looks like we are done here.  I am.  Adios.
    Who's arguing ... the earth is overpopulated with mostly poor people.  Poor people will always choose the cheaper option.  Can you fix those problems?  Because unless those problems are solved, the earth is doomed.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    Like the new thread title. And the bamboo straws. Going to order some of those.

brianlux said:

Who's arguing ... the earth is overpopulated with mostly poor people.  Poor people will always choose the cheaper option.  Can you fix those problems?  Because unless those problems are solved, the earth is doomed.  
    OK, so you say we're doomed.  Fine.

Look, I think this thread is worth saving not because I made it but because the Earth which feeds and sustains us deserves it. 

No, of course I cannot fix the problems that are harming the planet.  No ONE person can do that.  Saying we're doomed will not make it better either.  Anyone here can insist on being negative and pessimistic, that's their right.  But that is not the intent of this thread.  Maybe doomsdayers could create a "The World is Doomed" thread for those with that view who don't want to talk about solutions on this one. 

Like the new thread title. And the bamboo straws. Going to order some of those.
    Nice!  Kudos, OSG!

My step daughter is going to give me some this weekend.  I'm so stoked to see a young person such as herself get involved.  I love that kind of positive action.