Jobs at risk due to automation - what to do?

Comments

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    PJPOWER said:

PJ_Soul said:
    Starbucks is doing it too - you can just order and pay online via their app shortly before you get there, walk in and pick up your order. Some Tim Horton's outlets are doing it as well.
    Wouldn't know about Starbucks ... I know Tims is doing that, Dominoes does that as well, with dominos you get the option to pay in-store, which I always choose...
    I often pay in-store when ordering pizzas just because I like taking a look at the pie before actually purchasing it.  If it’s a shitty looking job, you can either say “fuck it, i’m going elsewhere” or just ask them to fix whatever mistake was made before finalizing the purchase.  Maybe i’m a bit of a pizza snob, lol
    21st century problems...haha
    Yeah, I'm against paying for stuff like that before you receive it, if something is wrong it's a lot easier to just walk away if you haven't paid for it. I've never had to do that, but seems like it would be more common if everything was prepaid. 
    What I really hate are those casual dining restaurants where you still wait in line to order, but are a little fancier than fast food. WHat I hate is they ask for a tip with the order, before you even see the food. I used to feel bad not tipping, but not anymore, why tip for something that hasn't even happened yet? I don;t know if my food isn't going to be burned. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    benjs said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    I refuse to use the automatic ordering system at McDonalds.  It's also not faster, I've seen people start their order before me and I've got my food before them.  It's far easier to tell a person what I want than a machine. 
    Same thing for me at the check out stand at the grocery store.  I like having real people to talk to instead of some dumb machine saying, "Welcome to Raleys, have you inserted you club card yet?" 
    I find I’m way more capable then most of the people doing that job, so I prefer self checkout 
    I like self checkout because I don't bag my groceries like an idiot, as some cashiers do. Although when a cashier does bag my stuff properly, I am happier having gone with the human.
    I am often disappointed in myself in how poorly I bag my own groceries. 
    Amen. Not to stereotype, but I think it's because I'm a man. I've rarely seen a man who has natural instincts in spatial awareness or strategizing the way women do. Just one of many skills I feel women are more likely to possess than men!
    I'm awesome at it. 

one of my few incrediby useless skills. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    I somehow can not see the drive thru being automatic?  And from my observation most people prefer the drive thru...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    I somehow can not see the drive thru being automatic?  And from my observation most people prefer the drive thru...
    There certainly doesn't need to be anyone taking drive thru orders. That part is very easily automated - it just requires good voice recognition software. Really the only part that will be hard to automate is the actual preparation of the food and moving to the hands of the customer ... if that. Honestly, given what technology can do, having fast food preparation completely automated (aside from the people who I guess would have to stock the machines with the ingredients) isn't very out there at all. It would just take some machinery, likely similar to what you already see in manufacturing plants. 
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited April 2018
    There certainly doesn't need to be anyone taking drive thru orders. That part is very easily automated - it just requires good voice recognition software. Really the only part that will be hard to automate is the actual preparation of the food and moving it into the hands of the customers ... if that. Honestly, given what technology can do, having fast food preparation completely automated (aside from the people who I guess would have to stock the machines with the ingredients) isn't very out there at all. It would just take some machinery, likely similar to what you already see in manufacturing plants.  I'm not saying I think this is what will be done in the next 10 years or whatever - I'm just saying this idea isn't crazy by any means, and if humanity can ever pull its collective head out of its ass and manage to make shitty jobs like putting burgers together at McDonald's obsolete because nobody is considered lowly enough to do that kind of work and nobody has to in order to make ends meet, this sort of food prep automation wouldn't be hard to manage.... And unfortunately, it wouldn't even be so hard as to make it a possibility just as a way for corporations to save money. I'm sure it would also be much faster than humans, as well as absolutely consistent in terms of quality.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    In Asia there are many highly automated food preparation kiosks/vending machines that make things much more complex than a hamburger. This technology already exists. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf

In Asia there are many highly automated food preparation kiosks/vending machines that make things much more complex than a hamburger. This technology already exists. 
    Oh really? Well, there you go. I knew the technology was more than possible given how things are made in factories, but didn't know that it was in use for fast food prep yet.... although I have seen videos of those automated sushi joints in Japan, where the food comes out from some mysterious back room, past your table and around the whole restaurant on a conveyor belt, and you just grab whatever you think looks good.... Doesn't seem hygienic though, lol.
  • Kev - Coat and KeysKev - Coat and Keys Earth Posts: 357
    My thoughts on this conversation... It sucks people losing jobs as giant corporations cut costs for profits,
    but as it seems so many people still think McDonald's is food... I can't wait for our robot overlords.
    Bring on the future, humanity is failing, what next?
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Anyone see that xfiles episode last month?  The one about automation?  
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I ran into a guy who agreed with my theory that A.I. is turning people into machines.  Now that I think about it, he sounded exactly like HAL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhyFPKRuWX4

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    Slightly OT, but did everybody watch Ex Machina?  Good AI show.

To fix automation taking jobs, quit breeding so much!  Problem is like Idiocracy, ignorant Trump voters will outbreed us.
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    PJ_Soul said:
    There certainly doesn't need to be anyone taking drive thru orders. That part is very easily automated - it just requires good voice recognition software. Really the only part that will be hard to automate is the actual preparation of the food and moving to the hands of the customer ... if that. Honestly, given what technology can do, having fast food preparation completely automated (aside from the people who I guess would have to stock the machines with the ingredients) isn't very out there at all. It would just take some machinery, likely similar to what you already see in manufacturing plants. 
    LOL...Why. The same person who takes my McDonald’s drive thri order also is the cashier.  There’d be no savings...Lol
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,476
    I can’t wait for the lawsuits from the hacked AI order taker food server bot telling the driver, and their kids, that they could afford to skip a meal and be given a bag of carrots and celery instead. Maybe even weigh the vehicle at the window and do the math to sell data based on your license plate to health and life insurance companies? 
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    Smellyman said:
    Slightly OT, but did everybody watch Ex Machina?  Good AI show.

To fix automation taking jobs, quit breeding so much!  Problem is like Idiocracy, ignorant Trump voters will outbreed us.
    Will check out Ex Machina.

Bolded part, right on.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

edited April 2018

PJ_Soul said:
    LOL...Why. The same person who takes my McDonald’s drive thri order also is the cashier.  There’d be no savings...Lol
    But it would cut down on the amount of work a person has to do in general. When there is less work to do in any given position, that necessarily amounts to fewer positions filled overall. I.e., say nobody has to take those orders... that would free up half their time, which perhaps would lead to them filling that spare time by taking over some other work inside, which in turn takes that work from another staff member... Now that staff member has only half a workload, and it isn't hard at all to just create a few extra efficiencies to render that entire shift redundant. Whenever any amount of work is automated, there is a trickle down effect.
    Besides, it is beyond easy for them to just include a debit machine next to the microphone, eh. A cashier really isn't necessary either. Once you automate ordering, it only makes sense to automate payment.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    What would society be like if people don't have meaningful work, or a least gives them a sense of purpose?  We're already looking at a whole generation of millennials that are dealing with wide-spread depression an ennui.  Add to that listless, lacking purpose and too much spare time and we're looking at a disaster in the making.  

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    brianlux said:
    What would society be like if people don't have meaningful work, or a least gives them a sense of purpose?  We're already looking at a whole generation of millennials that are dealing with wide-spread depression an ennui.  Add to that listless, lacking purpose and too much spare time and we're looking at a disaster in the making.  
    It would be terrible, mostly.  But that is assuming that the people want meaningful work.  All just based on personal experience but it seems like less and less people are interested in meaningful work.  They are more interested in commenting on social media about how awful everyone and everything is while they stay in their pjs at their parents house well into their 30's.  

But seriously, as we have seen in the inner cities, if there isn't something productive to do and a sense of purpose....something fills that gap and it generally isn't good.
    hippiemom = goodness
    brianlux said:
    There would still be plenty of useful things for people to do Brian. Maybe read the article that cincybearcat posted closer to the beginning of this thread - it addressed this topic.
    The idea is that people couple spend their time on more admirable types of work, like self-betterment, education, volunteerism, creativity, variety, artistry, etc. The way we have it set up now is definitely not the best possible way of life, to say the least. Slaving away in a capitalist society just to keep our homes and comfort is not my idea of a meaningful existence, frankly. I find meaning despite the way society is arranged in capitalism, not because of it.

edited April 2018
    brianlux said:
    It would be terrible, mostly.  But that is assuming that the people want meaningful work.  All just based on personal experience but it seems like less and less people are interested in meaningful work.  They are more interested in commenting on social media about how awful everyone and everything is while they stay in their pjs at their parents house well into their 30's.  

But seriously, as we have seen in the inner cities, if there isn't something productive to do and a sense of purpose....something fills that gap and it generally isn't good.

PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    There would still be plenty of useful things for people to do Brian. Maybe read the article that cincybearcat posted closer to the beginning of this thread - it addressed this topic.
    The idea is that people couple spend their time on more admirable types of work, like self-betterment, education, volunteerism, creativity, variety, artistry, etc. The way we have it set up now is definitely not the best possible way of life, to say the least. Slaving away in a capitalist society just to keep our homes and comfort is not my idea of a meaningful existence, frankly. I find meaning despite the way society is arranged in capitalism, not because of it.

Good points both.  If menial work were supplanted with creative work, that would be healthy.  Creativity, done with purpose, meaning and/or effort can be good work.  Volunteerism and education- great work.   But if Cincy is right and everyone just sits around and comments on social media hanging out at their folks in their pajamas, we will have a whole generation or more of highly dissatisfied people.

Speaking of meaningful work, I must go attend to mine!  Catch ya'll later.

Edit:  Don't mean for that ^^^ to sound so arrogant.  I hope selling used books is meaningful work!  :smile:
    Post edited by brianlux on

• RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    Has anyone ever been to a Sonic?  My first time was down here in TX, we definitely didn't have them in NY.  It's about as simple an ordering system as I've seen.  You order from a touch screen that is at every car parking space, so there's probably like 30 of them.  You pay via same touch screen.  You continue to sit in car, fart, get fatter.  Minimum wage earning human walks or roller-skates your order over to you, gives food, gives napkin and ketchup and maybe a mint, walks away.  Fat American slams food into gaping maw, drips condiments onto clothes, farts, burps, drives away.

Theres probably like 2-3 people making food inside, 1 manager, 2 or three roller skaters.  I feel like their ordering system must eliminate about 3 humans.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
    Has anyone ever been to a Sonic?  My first time was down here in TX, we definitely didn't have them in NY.  It's about as simple an ordering system as I've seen.  You order from a touch screen that is at every car parking space, so there's probably like 30 of them.  You pay via same touch screen.  You continue to sit in car, fart, get fatter.  Minimum wage earning human walks or roller-skates your order over to you, gives food, gives napkin and ketchup and maybe a mint, walks away.  Fat American slams food into gaping maw, drips condiments onto clothes, farts, burps, drives away.

Theres probably like 2-3 people making food inside, 1 manager, 2 or three roller skaters.  I feel like their ordering system must eliminate about 3 humans.
    You’re pretty gassy when you eat.
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499

Wait, they don’t have Sonics in NY!?!?
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Within a few decades at most, Watson will be the best doctor at every hospital, big or small.  
    It isn't just burger jobs for sure, AI is changing everything and it's pretty intimidating.  It's a wild west scenario and there's no predicting where it leads.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    rgambs said:
    Within a few decades at most, Watson will be the best doctor at every hospital, big or small.  
    It isn't just burger jobs for sure, AI is changing everything and it's pretty intimidating.  It's a wild west scenario and there's no predicting where it leads.
    I couldn’t agree more. I talk with people about this who say things like, “we’ll still need humans to fix the robots, so that will provide job opportunity.” What happens when the robots know how to fix themselves? Then what? The technology is there already. Crazy stuff. 
    bbiggs said:
    rgambs said:
    I couldn’t agree more. I talk with people about this who say things like, “we’ll still need humans to fix the robots, so that will provide job opportunity.” What happens when the robots know how to fix themselves? Then what? The technology is there already. Crazy stuff. 
    I picture one of four scenarios:

-AI will develop an altruistic attitude toward humans such that machines will do whatever they can to make life comfortable for all life.

-AI will allow humans to maintain control and will simply serve as machines and have no concern for humans one way or the other.

-AI will see humans as destructive to the planet and will eliminate us in order to save the planet.

-AI will not have developed any sense of morality and will consider any life form to be a waste of resources that could be used to create machines and therefor will eliminate all life forms on earth in order to continue their own kind.

Far fetched?  Maybe.  But, seriously, is this a game we really want to play?  I dread the likelihood of AI being further developed.  It's the most insane thing humans have ever done next to polluting and destroying the planet.  We are an absurd species. 

edited April 2018
    brianlux said:
    bbiggs said:
    rgambs said:

-AI will develop an altruistic attitude toward humans such that machines will do whatever they can to make life comfortable for all life.

-AI will allow humans to maintain control and will simply serve as machines and have no concern for humans one way or the other.

-AI will see humans as destructive to the planet and will eliminate us in order to save the planet.

-AI will not have developed any sense of morality and will consider any life form to be a waste of resources that could be used to create machines and therefor will eliminate all life forms on earth in order to continue their own kind.

Far fetched?  Maybe.  But, seriously, is this a game we really want to play?  I dread the likelihood of AI being further developed.  It's the most insane thing humans have ever done next to polluting and destroying the planet.  We are an absurd species. 

I thought this was a joke at first. I think there is zero chance AI will turn into Skynet or the Matrix. AI will always be what it is programmed to be, developing any sort of feelings/morals  on their own I just don’t see as even a possibility.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    bbiggs said:
    rgambs said:

I thought this was a joke at first. I think there is zero chance AI will turn into Skynet or the Matrix. AI will always be what it is programmed to be, developing any sort of feelings/morals  on their own I just don’t see as even a possibility.
    There is military AI technology, either in the works or already there, that allows for AI “soldiers” to go into hostile situations, assess the situation and make determinations to shoot, detonate bombs, etc.  My understanding is that this is entirely automated without a human at the control center. That’s scary shit. What if the AI assesses the risk incorrectly? 
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    bbiggs said:
    rgambs said:

It is definitely a possibility.  Far-fetched maybe, but several large AI projects have already breached expectations on the limits of the behavior provided by programming.

https://futurism.com/a-facebook-ai-unexpectedly-created-its-own-unique-language/
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    bbiggs said:
    rgambs said:

No, not a joke.  Far from it.

First of all, who does the programming?  Are these people concerned with the well being of this planet's human occupants and other life?  How would we know what these programmers intend in developing AI?  What if even just one top-notch AI programmer turns out to be a sociopath? 

And why would we assume that AI, once it truly became AI, would adhere to it's initial programmers intentions (assuming they are beneficial in the first place) when the machines themselves become programmers (which to a certain degree they already are)?

I just don't have that much faith in the benefits of this kind of technology.  Technology has given us some good things, especially in field like medicine.  But it has also created weapons of mass destruction, altered the earth's climate, stripped the planet of resources, rapidly sped up species extinction and is breading generations of zombies glued to electronic social media devices. 

I'm not saying all technology is bad, but I will argue that it has gotten out of hand and I see no reason to believe it will not continue down that sketchy path.

bbiggs said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    bbiggs said:
    rgambs said:

There is military AI technology, either in the works or already there, that allows for AI “soldiers” to go into hostile situations, assess the situation and make determinations to shoot, detonate bombs, etc.  My understanding is that this is entirely automated without a human at the control center. That’s scary shit. What if the AI assesses the risk incorrectly? 
    Excellent point, bbiggs.