Options

Bowie is OK, but there is more

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,513
    rgambs said:
    I just don't care for schmusic, it sounds amateurish every single time, Heyfoxymophandlemama certainly included.
    Station to Station sounds like "schumusic" to you?? ... Maybe you didn't get through the whole thing? Or our ideas of what "schmusic" is might be very different... But I like Foxymop too, so... yeah. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    edited April 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    I just don't care for schmusic, it sounds amateurish every single time, Heyfoxymophandlemama certainly included.
    Station to Station sounds like "schumusic" to you?? ... Maybe you didn't get through the whole thing? Or our ideas of what "schmusic" is might be very different... But I like Foxymop too, so... yeah. ;)
    It's like four different (not very good) songs smashed together and it's filled with sound effects like Ross playing keyboard on Friends.
    It's a 10 minute song, if you skipped ahead in 2 minute intervals and played it for someone who never heard it, there is no way they would think it's all one song.  It reminds me of how amateur musicians always have bits and pieces of songs but not complete songs.  Then someone decided it would be a good idea to just mash them together and call it a song, it's art so it doesn't need to actually sound good.
    Post edited by rgambs on
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    And Foxymop is a mess.
    It's fine to appreciate it for what it is, but what it is is not a good song.
    I wish I had a thousand dollars for every time a good vibe was spoiled by that earsore.  Sex, parties, dinner, anytime you have guests...that "song" comes on and whatever good feelingsfeeli in progress are crushed instantly.
  • Options
    My comments on station to station are a bit exaggerated to make a point, in case that wasn't obvious.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    I think they're both good songs (the Bowie one is way better though, obviously) ... so they are indeed good songs. ;)
    I also have no issue with sound effects at all, assuming they're well-used, and in this case I think they are. Nothing amateurish about either of those songs IMHO!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,675
    Bowie was not my favorite singer but I thought he was a good singer.  But Bowie was more than a singer- he was a composer, a fine actor and a talented multi-instrumentalist.  It's the sum of all he did that made him great.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think they're both good songs (the Bowie one is way better though, obviously) ... so they are indeed good songs. ;)
    I also have no issue with sound effects at all, assuming they're well-used, and in this case I think they are. Nothing amateurish about either of those songs IMHO!
    I just kept waiting for the didgeridoo.
    An army of them, 50,000 didgeridoos!
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I just kept waiting for the didgeridoo.
    An army of them, 50,000 didgeridoos!

Out of curiosity, I just looked up when the most didgeridoos played at one time was - no mention of Bowie at all - and look at what the search revealed. :lol:

• Options
    Hahaha ok that's just crazy!  Skynet is online apparently.
    I'm assuming you have seen Walk Hard and get the reference?
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    brianlux said:
    Bowie was not my favorite singer but I thought he was a good singer.  But Bowie was more than a singer- he was a composer, a fine actor and a talented multi-instrumentalist.  It's the sum of all he did that made him great.
    Very well put.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,177
    I prefer Marc Bolan to Bowie...

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    2 ways in
    1) recognizing his absolute genious over decades of releases, especially focusing on the early stuff
    2) coming to terms there are better "singers" out there....like van morrison in his prime(way better than chris imo)
    work with # 1 and # 2 will fall into place and you will find you r nit picking  lol
    enjoy the ride!!
  • Options
    It's funny to me to think that I said something about how I said Bowie was a good singer (implying he was not a great singer), because when I stop to think about some singers that I really like--

J Mascis
    Bob Dylan
    Lou Reed
    Captain Beefheart
    D Boon
    David Johnason

-- I wonder if anyone is going to take me seriously?  :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    BinFrog said:
    One of my favourite songs of his. 
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Anyone who says he cannot sing should listen to Wild is the Wind.
    Since when do singers have to have these perfect voices? 
    Look at Dylan, Cobain, Corgan, they're not these mega voices but their voices suit their music and their music is awesome.
    If you want that singing perfection then go and watch The Voice.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Look at Dylan, Cobain, Corgan, they're not these mega voices but their voices suit their music and their music is awesome.
    I totally agree.  To my ears, the feeling behind the voice counts more than the technical  perfection of some singers.  In fact, singers with technical perfection who lack the feeling bear no interest for me.

• Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,420
    Plain and simple, Bowie was a true artist, and produced one of the all-time great bodies of musical works.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    I totally agree.  To my ears, the feeling behind the voice counts more than the technical  perfection of some singers.  In fact, singers with technical perfection who lack the feeling bear no interest for me.
    Exactly.
    All these The Voice contestants who go on to make albums, sure they can sing very well but they don't sound unique and there is no feeling to me.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I thought he sings well on Let's Dance (the song).
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    Just was back in NYC and saw the Bowie exhibit at Brooklyn Museum for the 2nd time.  This time I didn't have my daughter with me so I could really stop and read/look at/listen to every.single.thing that is there.

He really was a true artist, SO MANY TALENTS and skills!  And literally genre-defining, at multiple stages of his career.

Me, I don't really care what anyone thinks of his voice compared to any other artist, or even of his whole body of work.  I think both his voice and his body of work are stunning and there is abundant evidence that he changed lives and inspired other artists I have tremendous respect for as well.

And he was a really good mime too, who knew? LOL!  (I'm serious about the mime part!)
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    Plain and simple, Bowie was a true artist, and produced one of the all-time great bodies of musical works.
    A true artist, and one of the all-time unique bodies of musical works, but all-time great??  
    That's quite a stretch.  
    Putting Bowie up there with Bach, Beethoven, the Beatles, Zeppelin, Neil Young, Pearl Jam, etc etc shows how weak his catalogue is, not how strong.

I don't hate DB, and I don't think his body of work sucks or anything, but I agree with the central premise of this thread, that he's very much overrated by his diehard fans.
    Novelty isn't automatically equal to quality.

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    But couldn't the same thing be said about Pearl Jam? We're biased, so I think we could be accused of "overrating" them. They haven't put out an great album for over a decade (12 years ago today, to be exact), on many of their "great" albums there is still filler and throw away music, and Vedder's vocals fell off a cliff post-2000 when he changed up his technique after the abuse his voice was subjected to in the early years due to his raw technique/style. Look, I'm obviously a big fan of PJ, but if you go to a general rock board, or to a different band's site, you won't find the universal love and adoration for this band that you find here. I think objectivity in art critique is fairly impossible, so I understand the love and respect that Bowie receives, and understand the love and respect PJ receives. I wouldn't say PJ is higher or lower in the "great body of work" category than Bowie. They're both Hall of Fame inductees for a reason. Not that the RRHOF is the sole arbiter of greatness, but it is indicative of their pioneering, influence, impact and popularity.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    rgambs said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    A true artist, and one of the all-time unique bodies of musical works, but all-time great??  
    That's quite a stretch.  
    Putting Bowie up there with Bach, Beethoven, the Beatles, Zeppelin, Neil Young, Pearl Jam, etc etc shows how weak his catalogue is, not how strong.

I don't hate DB, and I don't think his body of work sucks or anything, but I agree with the central premise of this thread, that he's very much overrated by his diehard fans.

I'm not a die hard fan, and I 100% agree he's one of the all-times greats, and absolutely belongs in that list of yours, and not as a weak addition at all. He's better than Neil Young, who I love, and much more creative than The Beatles. Bowie was truly groundbreaking. Also, I think Bowie has Pearl Jam beat by a lot in this context. I don't think PJ belongs in that list at all TBH, even though I love them. Do you really think that PJ belongs up there with Zeppelin and Beethoven??
    I sincerely have no clue why you are suggesting Bowie somehow lacks quality.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    Time will tell, of course, but I believe David Bowie will go down in rock history as one of the great major players.  I would bet on it.  I'll collect your cash in the afterlife.  :smile:

• Options
    brianlux said:
    Time will tell, of course, but I believe David Bowie will go down in rock history as one of the great major players.  I would bet on it.  I'll collect your cash in the afterlife.  :smile:
    I think he already has gone down in rock history as one of the great major players.... I'm surprised there is any debate going on here. We may as well be debating whether or not The Beatles or Elvis or Hendrix will go down as one of the great major players in rock history IMO.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    rgambs said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    That's quite a stretch.  

I agree with all above who have raised several eyebrows at this statement.  But honestly it is more than anything just a sign of how some PJ fans (and really every band has these fans) are blinded by their own love of an artist or several artists, OR by their determination NOT to like another artist.  There is subjective opinion "I like his voice/I don't like his voice", but then there is looking at the evidence out there of the impact an artist had, whether you like them or not or you adore them or not.

It's actually stunning that anyone would say that putting Bowie up there with those on your list shows how weak his catalogue is.  I'm really curious about the criteria you're using to judge this: let's look at your list and take Neil Young and Pearl Jam.  What is it about their catalogues and more importantly their IMPACT that you think proves that they are "all-time greats"?  And what is lacking in Bowie's catalogue that you think proves he is NOT an all-time great?
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    I think he already has gone down in rock history as one of the great major players.... I'm surprised there is any debate going on here. We may as well be debating whether or not The Beatles or Elvis or Hendrix will go down as one of the great major players in rock history IMO.
    Totally agree.  Brianlux you'll only be collecting from a few in this convo, and then you can buy the rest of us drinks in that great Afterlife Bar (or cafe)!
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    For sure! 

Anyone in doubt of Bowie's excellence would do themselves a favor to start with Ziggy and work up through the years and really listen.  His influence in sprung far and wide and his creative brilliance is excellent.

JH6056 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    Totally agree.  Brianlux you'll only be collecting from a few in this convo, and then you can buy the rest of us drinks in that great Afterlife Bar (or cafe)!
    First round's on me regardless!  :plus_one:

• Options
    Rate him, don't rate him
    Like him, don't like him
    Think he's a great, don't think he's a great
    Noooo
    Beep! Beep!

• Options
    Rate him, don't rate him
    Like him, don't like him
    Think he's a great, don't think he's a great
    Noooo
    Beep! Beep!

Turn to the left
    Turn to the right!