Shocked by Heart ICD! ouch...again! Oct '19

myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
edited January 2020 in A Moving Train
Ever seen the video of Anthony Van Loo go down on the field (pitch) and get shocked back by his cardiac ICD?

https://youtu.be/DU_i0ZzIV5U

Well, I had one of these implanted a couple years ago. Received my first "shock" the other morning. Around 6am I was sound asleep one second, then wide WIDE awake the next second. I sat right up.... thinking WTF!!!!... took me a second to realize what had happened.  Weird thing is I felt better than normal. haha,,, Except a sore feeling around the implant area. I scanned my implant, uploaded the data via wifi and doctor told me exactly what happened and how things looked now... crazy tech.

Bottom line...It may have saved my life..... I'M ALIVE!  Feeling great today... 

--------------------------- 
Shocked again - March 2019 
Wrote about it here--

Graveyard Hill Can Wait – Near Death at the Pixies
How a Device and The Pixies saved my Life
I know, I know…dark title. It’s, of course, a play on the Pixies first best-of compilation album, Death To The Pixies and the song “On Graveyard Hill” from the bands newly released ”Beneath the Eyrie” LP. The titles sort of engrained themselves on me after seeing, photographing, enjoying, and eventually surviving a recent Pixies show. 
Surviving? Yup, that’s what I said, surviving. Don’t worry, I won’t bore you with a lot medical jargon or sad stories....   
.........from article.........
The band had just finished playing fan favorite “Where’s Is My Mind?” and are now in the middle of song 21 of the night, “Gigantic”. That’s when I felt what can only be describe as a weird flutter feeling on the left side of my chest.......

Continue Reading over at ArtistWaves - here - https://artistwaves.com/graveyard-hill-can-wait-near-death-at-the-pixies/

------------------

Oct  2019 - Shocked again - This time 4 times! Still here!!!

"The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

Post edited by myoung321 on

Comments

• lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,708
    Wow great technology. Glad to hear it saved your life!
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Yes i have a couple of coworkers that have those incredible tech , glad your feeling good ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    My dad had one put in a few years ago.  I've never been around when he's been shocked, but he's had dozens if not hundreds of shocks over the years and he describes it the same way you did.  He feels better after, but really sore near the implant.
    I took a long time for his wife to understand that when it shocks him, it's doing what it's supposed to do.  I told her it's like an airbag going off in a car.  It's great if they never have to, but if they do it's obviously for a reason.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    That is amazing - I wasn't aware of this technology! What a great idea! Glad it saved you myoung321.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Good on you, OP. I’m glad you live to rock another day 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    Thanks guys I appreciate the kind words... and yes, it is a bit of a mind F***... Been dealing with this issue a few years now, but this was   a big wake up call to enjoy every day. PJ music sounds a little sweeter today! See ya at the shows!!!!!!

Denver '14

My offer still stands... as long as I'm here ;)... see yourself in one of images and I'll make sure you get a printable copy. 

Here's my PJ Fan page from a few recent shows - http://www.given2flyimages.com/Music-Tours-Fans/n-DGwJ4Q

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    Very cool, myyoung!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

edited March 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    That is amazing - I wasn't aware of this technology! What a great idea! Glad it saved you myoung321.
    Yeah its amazing...took some getting used to having an iPod sized device implanted... One messed up thing is they don't let patients have access to their own data. (lawsuits over it now)  Which seems ridiculous, if I could at least see the data I would know much more about how my heart/body responds to particular situations, like exercise, stress, food, jumping up and down in GA... or whatever .haha... As it is now, I scan and upload if I have an issue or a scheduled monthly scan, but never get actual info. 

Example - After my shock I scanned and uploaded. A Physician Assistant read it..called me and said, "Yes, the device activated a shock due to a sinus rhythm issue, the battery and diagnostics are good." ---  I ask " Did I have any other adjustments made by the device over the last week?"... ... I get... "Sorry we cannot discuss any other data points with you"...  

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    myoung321 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yeah its amazing...took some getting used to having an iPod sized device implanted... One messed up thing is they don't let patients have access to their own data. (lawsuits over it now)  Which seems ridiculous, if I could at least see the data I would know much more about how my heart/body responds to particular situations, like exercise, stress, food, jumping up and down in GA... or whatever .haha... As it is now, I scan and upload if I have an issue or a scheduled monthly scan, but never get actual info. 

Example - After my shock I scanned and uploaded. A Physician Assistant read it..called me and said, "Yes, the device activated a shock due to a sinus rhythm issue, the battery and diagnostics are good." ---  I ask " Did I have any other adjustments made by the device over the last week?"... ... I get... "Sorry we cannot discuss any other data points with you"...  
    Sounds like a way to get you to make appointments so you have to come in and pay them a copay and then they get a big check from your insurance company.  That's what pisses me off about health care the most.
    myoung321 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Sounds like a way to get you to make appointments so you have to come in and pay them a copay and then they get a big check from your insurance company.  That's what pisses me off about health care the most.
    That's for sure part of it. Obviously not in the best interest of the patient. A few months back they wanted me to take a "Stress test" I refused, because it's ridiculous. You want to hook me up and stress my heart and measure the response... UMMMMM I have a device that records every heart beat... why they hell do a stress test?  The answer I got was a canned response.. "That's what we do"

A week has gone by and no additional shocks!!...... what a mind F*** haha .. Guess I'll be around a few more days.

I hope they become more infrequent for you . Must be very hard not knowing when its coming. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    Thanks.. so far haven't had another. Hopefully it stays that way for a long while. :s

edited April 2018
    Well doc said yesterday, my ICD tried to pace my rhythm back to normal. When that failed, in the set time span, it applied the shock. Apparently my heart actually stopped! Nope... didn't see any bright lights, relatives or even...Kurt Cobain or Chris Cornell.. lol ... yes ..trying to laugh..

I just keep thinking......

Won't let the light escape from me.
    Won't let the darkness swallow me.

My photo of the day..

Taken outside Amsterdam's Ziggo Dome 2014

Keep being positive its really an inspiration
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

Just gotta try to live one day at a time.. 
    ---

Took this image at Wrigley 2016 (Aug 22nd)

Feel the path of every day
    Which road you taking?
    Breathing hard, making hay
    Yeah, this is living

Plaque on the wall says that no one's slept here
    It's rare to come upon a bridge that has not been around
    Or been stepped on
    Whatever the notions, we laced in our prayers
    The man upstairs is used to all of this noise
    I'm through with screaming
    "Faithful"

Photo taken in Amsterdam 2014-

• oceaninmyeyesoceaninmyeyes Posts: 4,646
    Amazing stuff. I lost a sister 6 years ago last month to a cardiac dysrhythmia. I'm glad you are still here.
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    ocean, I'm so sorry.

myoung, tough as it may be, keep that perspective going.

Beautiful Wrigley shot and accompanying lyrics :)
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    myoung321,
    Beautiful photos and quotes!
    Sending you positive thoughts
    edited April 2018
    Thanks guys I appreciate the positive thoughts...  The dark side would be easy to give into and harder to climb out. 

"Every inch between us becomes light years now
    No time to be void or save up on life
    You've got to spend it all"

Light Years...

Images taken from my back yard... really haha

Mike McCready - Image taken in Fort Lauderdale 2014

Oh yeah, can you see them, out the on porch?
    Yeah, but they don't wave
    I see them 'round the front way
    And I know, and I know I don't want to stay at all

• curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    Glad the equipment is doing what it's supposed to do! Thank an engineer or two for that technology. :-)
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    edited November 2018
    Glad the equipment is doing what it's supposed to do! Thank an engineer or two for that technology. :-)
    I agree... now if the corporate side would allow patients access to their own data generated by these devices it would be a great move.
    https://medium.com/quantified-self-public-health/hugo-campos-10-years-with-an-implantable-cardiac-device-and-almost-no-data-access-71018b39b938

Saved my life again March 23rd, 2019..... This time instead of waking me up from sleep, I was standing side-stage watching The Pixies when I felt what I can only describe as a “fludder” in my chest. The next thing I know I'm waking up and being asked questions by venue medics. One ask if I was epileptic?…. which automatically told me I had been shocked by my implanted cardiac defribulator ICD - 

I smacked my head pretty good on the floor when it happen, had a slight concusssion with headaches for a week or so, but much much better now. Data shows it was indeed a shock and it saved my life. Before the “Fludder” I had felt nothing out of the ordinary, I felt great! 

I'm Still Alive!!

• kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    :o  
    I'm glad that you are feeling better now! 
    Can't even wrap my head, how staggering that must have been for you! Fortunately nothing "more" happend to you when you  hit your head. 
    This stuff scares me like hell. 

But yes, You are Still Alive! That's all that counts! 

I had heart problems some time ago and tried to ignore it. Then I was really worried about what I was told was a weak heart and it skips beats. Now I know it was caused by stress. Massive stress I didn't even realise how bad it was for me at that time. It all came together. It still was bad for month after I could give up the reasons for it and then things slowly started to get better. 

But the feeling just makes you afraid to the bones. 
    So gladly there is this small rescue device and I hope it'll give you the feeling of security in future, so you do not worry all the time. I also hope you will not be shocked again soon!

Thanks for sharing your experiences here. Stay positive! 
    You are verily an inspiration! :)
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Glad you're alive and kickin'! What an amazing device you have. And what a spirit you possess as well. Stay positive, stay strong!
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    Thanks for the comments guys... much appreciated!

One day at a time! 

edited May 2019

Took this one of Ed at Fenway '18...

Still here!!!! ;) 2 Shocks and counting!