Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

Comments

• curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    Thyroid problems can have a real effect on what you can do! I've had thyroid disease for 10+ years; things went off the rails and I went hyperthyroid during the taper for my first marathon. That was ugly. :-( And I remember when I first got sick, before I knew what was happening, I would work out every day, and each day I was weaker than the day before. So try to be patient with yourself.
    Thyroid issues do affect your sleep, too, so, yeah, it all builds up. I'm guessing you are hypothyroid, since that's more common than hyperthyroid; when I've been hypo, I've really had to force myself to get up and get moving and do the exercise, but I've always been glad that I made the effort. If you're struggling with that, maybe work on developing your "showing-up muscle"? Once you get moving, it's not too hard to keep moving.

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    I've completed 3.5 hours of pretty intense exercise thus far today. (Ran 10.5 miles, ju-jitsu, leg day) I have one more hour to do, although if I sit here for much longer I might fall asleep. My challenge will be refueling; this looks like it is going to be, literally, a 4,000 calorie day for me. I don't know that I am capable of eating that much. Good thing I have lots of eating scheduled for tomorrow, I guess? LOL
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I've completed 3.5 hours of pretty intense exercise thus far today. (Ran 10.5 miles, ju-jitsu, leg day) I have one more hour to do, although if I sit here for much longer I might fall asleep. My challenge will be refueling; this looks like it is going to be, literally, a 4,000 calorie day for me. I don't know that I am capable of eating that much. Good thing I have lots of eating scheduled for tomorrow, I guess? LOL
    Have some nice Italian bread dipped very liberally in olive oil.
    Eat chocolate.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    I wish that I was in a place where I could say, hey man you should eat some chocolate. Sadly this is not the case at the moment. I really packed on the kgs while I was in North America. Thankfully it wasn't as bad as it could have been though because I had to walk most places there.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
    I wish that I was in a place where I could say, hey man you should eat some chocolate. Sadly this is not the case at the moment. I really packed on the kgs while I was in North America. Thankfully it wasn't as bad as it could have been though because I had to walk most places there.
    I read an article about Europeans moving to America and getting fat very quickly.  Hectic schedules due to our insatiable consumerism coupled with ridiculous amounts of junk food in your face all day, it's tough.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    rgambs said:
    I read an article about Europeans moving to America and getting fat very quickly.  Hectic schedules due to our insatiable consumerism coupled with ridiculous amounts of junk food in your face all day, it's tough.
    Plus our portion sizes are massive compared to Europe. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    Thyroid problems can have a real effect on what you can do! I've had thyroid disease for 10+ years; things went off the rails and I went hyperthyroid during the taper for my first marathon. That was ugly. :-( And I remember when I first got sick, before I knew what was happening, I would work out every day, and each day I was weaker than the day before. So try to be patient with yourself.
    Thyroid issues do affect your sleep, too, so, yeah, it all builds up. I'm guessing you are hypothyroid, since that's more common than hyperthyroid; when I've been hypo, I've really had to force myself to get up and get moving and do the exercise, but I've always been glad that I made the effort. If you're struggling with that, maybe work on developing your "showing-up muscle"? Once you get moving, it's not too hard to keep moving.

Yes, I have hypothyroidism. I make it to the gym after work, although it's definitely been more forcing myself to go instead of wanting to go. The whole tired and no energy thing is the root of the crappy workouts. After some research, I think I need to change my diet, especially being mindful about limiting carbs. Thanks for the encouragement though! I'm gonna stick with it and hope I start to feeling normal again soon.

Yes, I have hypothyroidism. I make it to the gym after work, although it's definitely been more forcing myself to go instead of wanting to go. The whole tired and no energy thing is the root of the crappy workouts. After some research, I think I need to change my diet, especially being mindful about limiting carbs. Thanks for the encouragement though! I'm gonna stick with it and hope I start to feeling normal again soon.
    Switch up your music to something different than usual.  I'm not much of a rap or hip-hop guy, but I heard an Eminem song I hadn't heard for a few years, since I was a surgical assistant.  Now I'm cranking that angry shit and powering through.  I should have been bottomed out today but I crushed it, went to work, and then went back and crushed for another hour, all thanks to new tunes at select points in the workout.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    I like reading the progress on here!!!

So here is my update.

3 weeks in and I've lost 9lbs.

My blood pressure has gone down so significantly that my doctor told me no BP medicine and to "keep doing what you are doing, it's working"

No more back pains or numbness.

My body is getting it's definition back.

#gome
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    #goyou!
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    #goyou!
    TY!

Current weight is 211.  I'm shooting for 200 so I have some more pounds to shed.  I'm 6' tall so that should be a nice living weight but if I can go lower I will do so.

Thanks again @oftenreading
    You’re welcome. I’ve got to admit, it took me a second to figure out what “gome” meant. Gnome, misspelled, came to mind. 
    I am also back in the climbing gym more regularly now, and it’s a ton of fun. Crossing my fingers and toes that no new disasters unfold in my life that take me out of the gym again. 

So here is my update.

My blood pressure has gone down so significantly that my doctor told me no BP medicine and to "keep doing what you are doing, it's working"

#gome
    Awesome! Great job!
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810

So here is my update.

#gome
    Awesome! Great job!
    I concur!!
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
    T&G great work!
    That's some serious life improvement!  Congrats and keep up the hard work, it pays off.  
    I love that even though you may take steps backwards or stall out at times, it's a linear path to improvement.  It's so simple it's stupid.
    Move forward.  Repeat.  

Good work.
    rgambs said:
    Killing it so far this year, hope y'all are too!

I've come a long way and I've got even further to go, just gotta keep at it!
    Geez Louise progress is slow lol

• Miss.SnowdropMiss.Snowdrop Scotland Posts: 192
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    Also our diet is often based on carbs while in Asia many meals are based on veggies and proteins. And many of the carbs we consume are empty coming from white flour and refined sugar...
    That is what I am currently working on - changing my eating habits. 
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    Also our diet is often based on carbs while in Asia many meals are based on veggies and proteins. And many of the carbs we consume are empty coming from white flour and refined sugar...
    Me too! I hate I have to bake myself now.
    FoxyRedLa said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    On one hand yes, it is annoying not being able to just buy and eat whatever you want from the shop. And it takes time an effort to make it yourself but on the other hand whenever I see people with shopping baskets full of unhealthy stuff, I think "thank god, that's not me anymore. I don't want to do this to my body anymore". It is hard to say no, especially when you live with people who don't feel the same way or don't care that you are trying to take care of yourself. And it is okay to fall off the wagon, the important thing is to climb back on. Every day that you don't give in to all the bad stuff, is a win!
    FoxyRedLa said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    I love getting baked. Wait, that's not what you meant :lol:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Killing it so far this year, hope y'all are too!

I've come a long way and I've got even further to go, just gotta keep at it!
    Geez Louise progress is slow lol

Are you at a Plateau @rgambs ?!?
    FoxyRedLa said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    I love getting baked. Wait, that's not what you meant :lol:
    :rofl:
    He can't hate that plateau! Right? :smiley:
    FoxyRedLa said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    On one hand yes, it is annoying not being able to just buy and eat whatever you want from the shop. And it takes time an effort to make it yourself but on the other hand whenever I see people with shopping baskets full of unhealthy stuff, I think "thank god, that's not me anymore. I don't want to do this to my body anymore". It is hard to say no, especially when you live with people who don't feel the same way or don't care that you are trying to take care of yourself. And it is okay to fall off the wagon, the important thing is to climb back on. Every day that you don't give in to all the bad stuff, is a win!
    I agree, however, I'm so new to this lifestyle that I just hate some inconviences.
    You know, @rgambs , I can relate. According to the scale, I've only lost five pounds or so over the last few years. But I've dropped more than a full dress/clothing size, as I lost a lot of body fat and added muscle. I look different. So I found a photo from two years ago that my husband took when he thought I was looking good, and I had him take another one, with me wearing the same shirt, in the same pose. This will be amazing, I thought. The contrast will be striking.

Or maybe not.

[I'm old -- I don't know how to make that pic less annoyingly large. Sorry!]
    ["Now" is above and on the left; "then" is on the right.]
    I think lighting and a knowledgeable photographer would have made a big difference. Because I DO look markedly different now.
    FoxyRedLa said:
    FoxyRedLa said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    I agree, however, I'm so new to this lifestyle that I just hate some inconviences.
    What helps me a lot is a little meal planning. 
    I don't go so far and plan out every single day of the week but I often make bigger meals, so I don't have to cook the next day. It makes life so much easier. 

FoxyRedLa said:
    FoxyRedLa said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    I don't go so far and plan out every single day of the week but I often make bigger meals, so I don't have to cook the next day. It makes life so much easier. 

Me too! Same lunches all week but different dinners. No breakfast nor snacking so I don't have to worry about those. 
    FoxyRedLa said:
    FoxyRedLa said:
    FoxyRedLa said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:

Me too! Same lunches all week but different dinners. No breakfast nor snacking so I don't have to worry about those. 
     All the "health experts" I've come across say that breakfast is actually pretty important. As far as I understand it your body tends to store fat more easily, if you have periods where you starve it, because it wants to make sure there is enough energy to burn during those times. 
    Something small like a banana or oatmeal can do the trick. And you can easily prepare the oatmeal the night before. 
    FoxyRedLa said:
    FoxyRedLa said:
    FoxyRedLa said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:

All the "health experts" I've come across say that breakfast is actually pretty important. As far as I understand it your body tends to store fat more easily, if you have periods where you starve it, because it wants to make sure there is enough energy to burn during those times. 
    Something small like a banana or oatmeal can do the trick. And you can easily prepare the oatmeal the night before. 
    I agree! I may change my routine once I hit my maintenance goal. Not sure I feel breakfast is the most important. But I'm intermittent fasting. I fast till noon every day and stop at 8pm. Weekends typically are one meal a day. That allows my different hormones to do their thing! BUT I do know my WAY of eating MY food choices got me in trouble not when I ate during the day. So again I may change things later.