Expert Opinions please! (Naming a puppy)

AstaakAstaak Connecticut Posts: 45
So my husband and I are adopting a little beagle mix puppy (female) this weekend and we decided on Kille Pearl for the name. Kille after PJ’s lighting director because whenever we are listening to a show and you hear Eddie calling out to Kille for the lights it just makes us smile for some reason. We were at the Beacon the other night at a Brandi Carlile show sort of throwing out puppy names back and forth when Brandi called out to have the house lights turned on and we both were like Kille!!! That’s the name!

Anyway, my husband is concerned that since it is a pretty uncommon name, and odd spelling that he assumes people will mispronounce it...so we should change the spelling to something more phonetic like Keely. I argue that it doesn’t matter, we will still have to spell it out from time to time and if we want to honor the human Kille and our love of PJ, we should keep the original spelling!

thoughts? Opinions? Other PJ names people want to share? 

Comments

• drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    I ask myself sometimes if I would appreciate someone naming their pet after me. I still havent decided. It is a cool name though.

Spell it however makes you happy. How many people are actually seeing your dogs name written out anyways? 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • AstaakAstaak Connecticut Posts: 45
    We have a long list that is mostly music inspired, Joni after Joni Mitchell was a close second, lots of Grateful Dead ones too. I suppose until we meet the pup, the name is still up in the air. Not having children ourselves, naming a pet is the most exciting thing for us. Lol
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    I think "Bob Barker" is the best name ever for a puppy.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Name it and spell it however you want. It's up to other people to adjust.

The only advice I've heard repeatedly is to name it something with at least two syllables that doesn't sound similar to a command you would frequently use. That way, you can provide inflection when saying their name and they won't ever confuse their name with something else.
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    edited April 2018
    Having a child with the same name, not named after Kille though, everyone will get it wrong, misspell it, mispronounce it, never remember it... Spell it however you would like.  It won't matter.  My child answers to anything that starts with a K. :smile:

It's an old Irish-Gaelic name that means beautiful. Traditional spelling is Keeley. It was too many e's in a row for me.  A lil visually jarring.  We changed the spelling a lil. :smiley:  

K does love the occasional EV shout out, though.  
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,275
    That's awesome.  My wife and I named our cat Lukin
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Oh, and definitely post pictures in the doggie thread
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    Django Funkhouser will be the name of my next dog. I’m expecting that to be misspelled and I’m at peace with that. 
    Thanks for the responses!

deadendp, I was wondering about the name’s origin and meaning...thanks!

i will certainly post a picture when we get her. We have to drive to PA (about 6 hours) to get her...fingers crossed that she handles the ride well. A good friend of mine is a foster mom for a rescue called Bridge to Home in Eighty Four, PA. They are amazing if anybody is interested. They are all volunteer and have no facility other than their volunteer homes. They are on facebook and currently have a slew of puppies and adult dogs. 

Originally we were interested in a little male puppy called Rex, who had surgery to repair a broken jaw. The poor thing is doing well and is beautiful but we have learned it will be too large for us (boxer, hound, australian shephard mix) as we have a very small home. But we were planning to call him Eddie...a wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw.
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    We named our puppy Eddie, but the EV connection is coincidental.

Love the name you guys chose!
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • jpdannabellejpdannabelle T. Posts: 831
    Gremmie !!! B)
    ...........and Evelyn 

• lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,694
    jeff
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • moozeekfanmoozeekfan Posts: 194
    Steve The Cat.
    Target Center - Jun 30, 1998
    Allstate Arena - Oct 09, 2000
    Xcel Energy Center - Jun 16, 2003
    United Center - Jun 18, 2003
    Fort William Garden - Sep 09, 2005
    Xcel Energy Center - Jun 27, 2006
    United Center - Aug 23, 2009
    Xcel Energy Center - Oct 19, 2014
    Xcel Energy Center - August 31, 2023
    Xcel Energy Center - September 2, 2023
  • Massara133Massara133 Stettler AB Canada Posts: 430
    Our puppy (now 7 years old!) has a white stripe on her nose, so we named her Meg. If we ever got a male puppy we were gonna name him Jack but it never happened
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,850
    Name it"
    phonetically sounding

Dee Oh Gee
  • OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    Bootsy Collins. I think it can work for a female. You'll just have to set an allowance limit for sunglasses beforehand. 

• VOLAREVOLARE Posts: 313
    Steve The Cat.
    I had a buddy with a cat named Steve in Mn. Coolest cat I ever met. I always thought it was because he had a persons name that he acted like a little human.
    8-28-92 Harriet Island
    6-16-93 University Theatre, UM
    2-8-95 Adams Field House
    6-20-98 Washington-Grizzly Stadium
    5-28-03 Adams Field House
    8-29-05 Adams Field House
    7-22-06 Gorge Amphitheater
    9-3-11 Alpine Valley
    9-30-12 Adams Field House
    10-31-12 The Pearl - Eddie Vedder
    11-01-12 The Pearl - Eddie Vedder
    9-6-13 Key Arena
    6-20-14 Milan
    6-22-14 Trieste
    11-28-15 Mexico City
    She hasn’t woken up much during the drive to her new home. Kille Pearl seems relatively comfortable with us! 
  • OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    Congrats! She's a beauty all right. :)
    Thanks! She was great during the 5 hour car ride, only one accident toward the end...while we waited to cross the GW bridge. Which is usually when I need to pee too haha!