I have a question about guns

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    my2hands said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Anyone following the Laura Ingraham story over the last couple of weeks will know the American right doesn't understand the first amendment, so why do you assume they get the second correct?

Also America 'deserving' guns ain't working out for you, try changing that?
    Nice broad stroke right there.  
    Who says America is “deserving” of guns?  It is a constitutional right. 
    Not all gun ownership is protected by the 2A... Connecticut successfully banned sales of all AR 15 style weapons after Sandy Hook and it was held up and passed over by the SCOTUS... 

I don't think this is talked about enough
    This I know but it is still a constitutional right. Maryland also has an assault weapons ban upheld. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    Anyone following the Laura Ingraham story over the last couple of weeks will know the American right doesn't understand the first amendment, so why do you assume they get the second correct?

The GOP is currently putting forward an amendment to the Constitution. This one requires that the budget be balanced, a particularly amusing irony, given the budget they just passed. 

If if they can make one amendment, they could make another. In fact, once the Constitution had the first amendment, you completely lost the argument that the document is inviolable. 
    I never said it couldn’t be changed; the constitution is a living breathing document that can be amended at any time but it sure is tough to do so. Only 17 amendments have been added in over 200 years. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    mcgruff10 said:
    my2hands said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Not all gun ownership is protected by the 2A... Connecticut successfully banned sales of all AR 15 style weapons after Sandy Hook and it was held up and passed over by the SCOTUS... 

This I know but it is still a constitutional right. Maryland also has an assault weapons ban upheld. 
    ok, but saying "it's a constitutional right" is the same to me as my kid asking why they can't do something and me saying "because I said so". it's not really an answer. it's a non-answer. 

there are valid reasons fo other ammendments, like free speech, voter equality, etc. those can be easily explained by all people. the right to bear arms is only justified by the ammendment itself, not the reason for the ammendment. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    mcgruff10 said:
    my2hands said:
    mcgruff10 said:

ok, but saying "it's a constitutional right" is the same to me as my kid asking why they can't do something and me saying "because I said so". it's not really an answer. it's a non-answer. 

there are valid reasons fo other ammendments, like free speech, voter equality, etc. those can be easily explained by all people. the right to bear arms is only justified by the ammendment itself, not the reason for the ammendment. 
    Which, we all should know, is grossly antiquated given the types of arms available today vs 200 years ago, and utterly irrelevant for the times.
    mcgruff10 said:
    my2hands said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Which, we all should know, is grossly antiquated given the types of arms available today vs 200 years ago, and utterly irrelevant for the times.
    I disagree; one could argue the 1st amendment is antiquated as well since the internet was not around in the 1700's.  
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    mace1229 said:
    Smellyman said:
    mace1229 said:

I don’t follow her story because I don’t like her. But what makes you think she’s the spokeswoman for the right?
    Do you think that she’s not? 
    It's like when people say 'why don't Muslim leaders speak out against terrorism more and stand up to crazy fundamentalists'.  The entire right wing mouthpieces are crazies at fox, breitbart, infowars and so much more psycho sources, but they won't speak out against them because that is actually what they watch and where they get their 'news'.  Or internet memes.
    So now your comparing Laura Ingraham to Muslim Terrorists? Why do we need to speak out against her? Does the left speak out against anything crazy they talk about on The View?   They’ve said some weird stuff on that show, but t I don’t consider them spokeswomen for anyone.
    funny how you think all conservatives watch only fox and bow down to anyone on that channel. Not really accurate, when you consider that 3 million views is a big night for that program and roughly half the country is conservative.
    Only about 40% of the country is conservative. (Hair splitting, I know)
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I for one do not need a document to tell me what is right or wrong.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

The left sometimes doesn’t understand the first amendment either:

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    mcgruff10 said:

That's a crappy thing to tweet, but what about it demonstrates that "the left" doesn't understand the first amendment?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    mcgruff10 said:

That's a crappy thing to tweet, but what about it demonstrates that "the left" doesn't understand the first amendment?
    Kev,Coat and Keys suggested the right doesn't understand the first amendment because of what Laura Ingraham said, seems like Joy did the same thing.  I was just showing both sides do and say stupid things.  And yeah it 's a pretty crappy thing to tweet. 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited April 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    Is it “responsible” for a “responsible” gun owner and NRA board member, Ted Shithead Nugent, to openly advocate for the shooting of dems onsite like rabid coyotes? Is that fucking “responsible” advocacy for gun rights? Further, where are all the “responsible” repubes and gun owners condemning such talk, on a mass media platform no less? Where are the “responsible” ones? The gun rights crowd and the NRA are the most irresponsible advocates out there. “Responsible” my fucking ass.
    He's one asshole that ran his mouth.  I' m not sure how he represents the masses.
    I feel like the NRA definitely does represent the masses (as evidenced by the fact that voters vote for politicians who are controlled by the NRA), and Nugent is an NRA board member, so that would be how Nugent represents the masses, like it or not. American democracy at work!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Kev,Coat and Keys suggested the right doesn't understand the first amendment because of what Laura Ingraham said, seems like Joy did the same thing.  I was just showing both sides do and say stupid things.  And yeah it 's a pretty crappy thing to tweet. 

No, I don't think that's what KCKs meant. I assumed s/he was referring to the reaction of the right. 

Just on the face of it, I don't see any connection to the first amendment with Behar's tweet. Seems a complete non sequitur. 
    Got ya. That makes much more sense. Thanks for clarifying. 

mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    my2hands said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I disagree; one could argue the 1st amendment is antiquated as well since the internet was not around in the 1700's.  
    what does the first ammendment have to do with the internet?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited April 2018
    mcgruff10 said:

It was a "crappy" think to tweet just for herself I guess. More stupid than crappy really ... I mean... it's honest. I think a LOT of people would be glad if they woke up to the news of Trump's death (just saying Kat, not wishing death upon anyone here! ;) ). I guess it's just a matter of attitude. I have noticed that a lot of people are conditioned to get really offended any time someone says anything about hoping someone is dead. They think it's just horrific. But since such thoughts have literally no impact on anything, and it's just thoughts, I personally don't find it offensive. I also think people have such thoughts (not just about Trump) a lot more often than they are willing to admit. I also think that plenty of people will feign offense because that is what they're supposed to do, when inside they really were kinda thinking the same thing. But anyway, anyone is an idiot for tweeting anything about the POTUS dying. It never goes well. One has to wonder how Joy Behar thought that was anything other than a terrible idea.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

It was a "crappy" think to tweet just for herself I guess. More stupid than crappy really ... I mean... it's honest. I think a LOT of people would be glad if they woke up to the news of Trump's death (just saying Kat, not wishing death upon anyone here! ;) ). I guess it's just a matter of attitude. I have noticed that a lot of people are conditioned to get really offended any time someone says anything about hoping someone is dead. They think it's just horrific. But since such thoughts have literally no impact on anything, and it's just thoughts, I personally don't find it offensive. I also think people have such thoughts (not just about Trump) a lot more often than they are willing to admit. I also think that plenty of people will feign offense because that is what they're supposed to do, when inside they really were kinda thinking the same thing. But anyway, anyone is an idiot for tweeting anything about the POTUS dying. It never goes well. One has to wonder how Joy Behar thought that was anything other than a terrible idea.

Well, you know.... part of a civilized society is that we don't voice every thought that pops into our heads, justified or not. 
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,476
    Who is Joy Behar and why would anyone follow her on Twitter?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Well, you know.... part of a civilized society is that we don't voice every thought that pops into our heads, justified or not. 
    Fine, but that doesn't mean everyone has to pretend to be offended by it.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I agree. I have been skewered in the past by voicing my truth about someone who has passed away. not that I wished for their death, just that I....um.....wasn't particularly saddened by it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Excuse my ignorance in the matter but, regarding images of tweets we see fairly often in these threads, how do we know they are real.  I mean, they can be easily faked, right?  I'm guessing it happens often.  Yes? No?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

edited April 2018
    brianlux said:
    Excuse my ignorance in the matter but, regarding images of tweets we see fairly often in these threads, how do we know they are real.  I mean, they can be easily faked, right?  I'm guessing it happens often.  Yes? No?
    All it takes to confirm they're real is to go on Twitter and check if the Tweet exists. And if it's been deleted, there are plenty of mainstream media sources that you can trust about whether or not a Tweet is real. But good job Brian for asking, because as it turns out, this Tweet was NOT real... I forgot to check! ;)
    But my comments about these kinds of comments still stands.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    The Behar tweet is fake. Please do some research before you post such things to try and prove "both sides".

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/joy-behar-trump-tower-fire/
    It's a hopeless situation...
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    All it takes to confirm they're real is to go on Twitter and check if the Tweet exists. And if it's been deleted, there are plenty of mainstream media sources that you can trust about whether or not a Tweet is real. But good job Brian for asking, because as it turns out, this Tweet was NOT real... I forgot to check! ;)
    It's the skeptic in me!  I stand by Lou Reed's words:  "You can't believe half of what you see and none of what you hear." 

Not to distract too much from the subject at hand (because, lord knows, we rarely have threads about guns on AMT), but I get the feeling that one result of social media and internet "news" is that we are living in a world fraught with false information.  Sometimes I have to ask, WTF is really going on in the world?  Is it all smoke an mirrors and deception? 

Oh how wearisome to be such a cynic!  Sorry!

Oh, and not meaning to dis your comments at all Alison!

edited April 2018
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    It's the skeptic in me!  I stand by Lou Reed's words:  "You can't believe half of what you see and none of what you hear." 

Not to distract too much from the subject at hand (because, lord knows, we rarely have threads about guns on AMT), but I get the feeling that one result of social media and internet "news" is that we are living in a world fraught with false information.  Sometimes I have to ask, WTF is really going on in the world?  Is it all smoke an mirrors and deception? 

Well, yeah. I think the fact that we're living in a world fraught with false information is one of the biggest stories of our time, right? Fake news is a very real thing... Not Trump's fake news. His fake news is real news, lol. But actual fake news is rampant, and there is almost always a sinister purpose behind it... just like that fake tweet most of us just fell for (at least it made us think about a valid issue I guess).
    And *ahem!* That's 2 L's to you Brian! ;)
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I agree. I have been skewered in the past by voicing my truth about someone who has passed away. not that I wished for their death, just that I....um.....wasn't particularly saddened by it. 

I think there's a difference between not being saddened by the news that someone died, and saying "hey, I hope this person I don't like dies!" In my opinion, that's in pretty poor taste, no matter who it is. 
    tbergs said:
    The Behar tweet is fake. Please do some research before you post such things to try and prove "both sides".

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/joy-behar-trump-tower-fire/
    Damn I broke my own rule lol. My bad!! I could have sworn it was real. 
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

Well, yeah. I think the fact that we're living in a world fraught with false information is one of the biggest stories of our time, right? Fake news is a very real thing... Not Trump's fake news. His fake news is real news, lol. But actual fake news is rampant, and there is almost always a sinister purpose behind it... just like that fake tweet most of us just fell for (at least it made us think about a valid issue I guess).
    And *ahem!* That's 2 L's to you Brian! ;)
    Spelling was never my strong suit, Allison,  Sorry! :lol:

PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I think there's a difference between not being saddened by the news that someone died, and saying "hey, I hope this person I don't like dies!" In my opinion, that's in pretty poor taste, no matter who it is. 
    Yeah, but why should it matter if it's in poor taste? So what? It's the same with everyone being offended all the time... SO WHAT?