Options

R.I.P Cecil Taylor

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718
I don't know how many of you are familiar with Cecil Taylor's work, but I was really bummed to hear he has passed away.  He was 89 years old.  The first time I saw Taylor was on 5/15/87.   At the risk of sounding cliched, I'd have to say that show was transcendent. It was that great. His energy and creativity left the who room breathless, almost stunned.  So for those unfamiliar, here's a little taste of this great man's genius.  R.I.P. Cecil Taylor.

(The piece below is perfectly summed up by one of the folks who commented on YouTube saying: "There are a lot of guys who play free because they don't have the discipline, talent, and work ethic necessary to play tunes "straight." Mr. Taylor is NOT one of those guys. He can play anything and chooses to play like this."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EstPgi4eMe4

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    I didn't know of him before but he sounds amazing.  And given how many epic shows you've seen, the fact that you found him to be transcendent speaks VOLUMES!

Very sorry for his loss, especially for those who understood what a treasure he was.  Rest In Power Cecil Taylor...
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718
    JH6056 said:
    I didn't know of him before but he sounds amazing.  And given how many epic shows you've seen, the fact that you found him to be transcendent speaks VOLUMES!

Very sorry for his loss, especially for those who understood what a treasure he was.  Rest In Power Cecil Taylor...
    So glad you like that piece, JH.  I was so fortunate to be in the right place at the right time to catch the man a few times.  His music is definitely outside the mainstream but his creative mind and energy were so huge. The second time I saw Taylor was at Yoshi's in Oakland.  A buddy and I were sitting  pre-show at table having a drink and all of the sudden Cecil Taylor runs in from the front door, WOOSH! tears right through the crowd and practically leaps up onto the piano on the stage and goes right to work.  Powerful stuff, and the previous 5/15/87 show was even better.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.