Smashing Pumpkins!

Comments

• cmaliszecmalisze Posts: 2,625
    I have a pair for sale Chicago Monday 8/13 section 101 row 19 seats 1 and 2. 
    $295 is face value. 
  • RoeDawg13RoeDawg13 Posts: 246
    I took a look today at Pittsburgh and there's definitely seats available but nowhere near as many as I expected given all the "tour has failed" talk. Sure, Pearl Jam can sell it out in seconds and Radiohead just did too, but tickets have been on sale for 5 days now and the show is 5 months away. It's going to sell out at some point.
    I am wired and fading...
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    edited March 2018
    RoeDawg13 said:
    I took a look today at Pittsburgh and there's definitely seats available but nowhere near as many as I expected given all the "tour has failed" talk. Sure, Pearl Jam can sell it out in seconds and Radiohead just did too, but tickets have been on sale for 5 days now and the show is 5 months away. It's going to sell out at some point.
    Someone posted on the Pumpkins forum that big blocks of tickets randomly disappeared over night at many of the shows, and theorized they took out chunks to give away on the radio and stuff (or hold back for later to create more demand by selling out first).  Weird ticket patterns like complete rows being gone but ever other rows left completely in tact... like every other row, or every 3rd row randomly disappeared.  In Seattle every other row in the side sections back back randomly disappeared.

They're cooking something :)
    Post edited by Zod on
  • RoeDawg13RoeDawg13 Posts: 246
    Ah, gotcha. There's a good number of tickets being resold as well. So it'll officially be sold out but seats might be lacking people actually being there. I bought tickets the day they went on sale. It was a little pricey but I've never seen SP before. Billy solo once and with Zwan once too. I debated a little but then went back to how much I wished I'd ponied up the cash for scalper tickets to the TotD show and that was the final push
    I am wired and fading...
  • NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    I saw the Pumpkins in 2015 with what was essentially the same lineup as this tour's and they absolutely killed. Basically, as long as Billy's feeling it and Jimmy's behind him on the drums, they'll be fine (James isn't integral to this tour's success other than from a visual POV). I'm a little surprised they decided on a full-bore arena tour, though. I mean, Soundgarden's last two major North American tours (not counting the NIN co-headline - and besides, no Matt Cameron = no Soundgarden, right?) were in large clubs and theatres, and I'd argue Soundgarden at that point was bigger than the Pumpkins are right now. Anyway. I'll be in Toronto.
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    cmalisze said:
    $295 is face value. 

that’s about $290 more than I would pay.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • pledgeagrievancepledgeagrievance Posts: 2,786
    edited March 2018
    Wobbie said:
    cmalisze said:
    $295 is face value. 

that’s about $290 more than I would pay
  • timdwillitimdwilli Los Angeles, CA Posts: 294
    Anybody happen to take a look at the map for the second LA show that went on sale today? They've basically moved nothing. "Due to overwhelming demand" hahaha
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175

really good new article on the Reunion tour and recording..........

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/22/arts/music/smashing-pumpkins-reunion-billy-corgan-interview.html

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    That said, Mr. Corgan slipped in, it’s probably a one-time thing.

well that's disappointing. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

That said, Mr. Corgan slipped in, it’s probably a one-time thing.

well that's disappointing. 

yeah. I think he has to hedge his bets in case this thing crashes.

hopefully the new music will be good enough to allow them to continue as a functioning band.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    Annoying that the author refers to them as Mr. Corgan, Mr. Iha and Mr. Chamberlin every time he references one of them.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Poncier said:
    Annoying that the author refers to them as Mr. Corgan, Mr. Iha and Mr. Chamberlin every time he references one of them.

I think that is the NYT's "schtick" that sets them apart from the "lesser" news organizations.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    This train came & went yrs ago Its unrealbto me that Corgan really believed the whole music world was waiting for his return ...there’s only a couple of bands that could pull it off and the Pumpkins are not that band ! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    This train came & went yrs ago Its unrealbto me that Corgan really believed the whole music world was waiting for his return ...there’s only a couple of bands that could pull it off and the Pumpkins are not that band ! 
    The part I wonder about is, they were at the height of their popularity during the Mellon Collie tour.   They had four albums out that were all amazingly good (Gish, Siamese Dream, Pisces Iscariot, and Mellon Collie).  Plus all the music in the Aeroplane Flies High.    They were huge;  selling out Arenas huge.  At the same time they were placing GM Place (NHL hockey arena) Soundgarden was playing a run down jr hockey arena (pne forum) that .  

I often wonder what the demand be like if Billy had gone dark, rather than spend the last 20 years replacing members, making mediocre music, and trashing people in the media.  If they'd gone dark after Mellon Collie, would the demand be higher?
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    Pavement to open up.
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    Pavement to open up.

April Fools!

:lol:

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Zod said:
    The part I wonder about is, they were at the height of their popularity during the Mellon Collie tour.   They had four albums out that were all amazingly good (Gish, Siamese Dream, Pisces Iscariot, and Mellon Collie).  Plus all the music in the Aeroplane Flies High.    They were huge;  selling out Arenas huge.  At the same time they were placing GM Place (NHL hockey arena) Soundgarden was playing a run down jr hockey arena (pne forum) that .  

I often wonder what the demand be like if Billy had gone dark, rather than spend the last 20 years replacing members, making mediocre music, and trashing people in the media.  If they'd gone dark after Mellon Collie, would the demand be higher?
    Yes much higher but like you said putting his personality out there for everyone to see didn’t do him any good it actually put a lot of people off ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Zod said:

this is exactly it. reunion tours make big movements when the band itself has been gone for a number of years. Billy and Jimmy continued under the name SP and also Zwan. It is well known that the other members contributed next to nil on all their records. had the pumpkins ended in 2000 until now, AND if D'arcy were involved, it would be massive. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    edited June 2018
    New track, ‘Solara’...
    It’s actually not that bad.

https://youtu.be/rx9ya42QLXs
    Post edited by goldrush on
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Sounds like a Zeitgest outtake...
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    Wma31394 said:
    yeah it does.  sounds ok.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,204
    I don’t mind it at all.
    Wma31394 said:
    yeah it does.  sounds ok.

sounds a little more Zeitgesty than I am comfortable with. honestly I was expected much more as the first single.

C'mon guys!!!

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    I'm not very familiar with Zeitgest, so I think the new song sounds pretty damn good. Better than anything I expected, really.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    It’s not that bad but if I was at the show you could find me at the bar or urinal when they played it.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited June 2018
    It’s not that bad but if I was at the show you could find me at the bar or urinal when they played it.
    Wow, lol, to me that means it's terrible.
    I dunno - I did have really low expectations... I think I always have really low expectations when Billy Corgan is involved. That isn't even fair, because then he keeps exceeding my expectations in terms of the music produced ... but then I continue to have low expectations anyhow, lol. I guess that's what happens to good artists who are huge, unbearable dipshits. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    PJ_Soul said:
    Wow, lol, to me that means it's terrible.
    I dunno - I did have really low expectations... I think I always have really low expectations when Billy Corgan is involved. That isn't even fair, because then he keeps exceeding my expectations in terms of the music produced ... but then I continue to have low expectations anyhow, lol. I guess that's what happens to good artists who are huge, unbearable dipshits. :lol:
    Yeah- I mean to me it’s kinda how I feel about  you can’t deny me. One listen is good enough for me, and I slid the bar pretty much all the way to the end to see if it got any better.  It didn’t. Billy’s voice sounds off or out of tune or too loud.  One of the three or perhaps all three.  
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
    it also immediately struck me as a zeitgeist throwaway. not impressed as a first single. billy needed to blow us out of the water with this one, with all the hype and nonsense. he did not. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

well. the song def sounded better live on TV last night.

not a fan of Rick Rubin's production on heavier songs.

did a good job with Johnny Cash, Billy's solo and Tom Petty. but I think his production on Slayer sounds really dated.

guess I will reserve judgment until I hear more songs from these sessions.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2