Options

NJ BEST CHEESESTEAKES?

How many of these places have you gone to?

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2018/03/njs_20_best_cheesesteaks_for_national_cheesesteak.html

I've only been to one, Donkeys', but the one in Medford Lakes

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    edited March 2018
    Gaetanos, Chicks, Tony Luke's.
    Want to try Donkey but that shit is closed on weekends.
    Chicks is the best of those three...I prefer the Roast Pork at TLs although the steak is good too.
    Chicks is solid but I often find myself at Croces across the street getting the #2.  Prosciutto fresh mozzarella and roasted peppers.
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,853
    isn't tony luke's based in in philly?

one of the best Goldbergs episodes

Image result for goldbergs donkeys
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Yes.  But they have at least two spots over here...
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,204
    Isn’t it almost misleading calling these places NJ though? I mean I know they technically are but it’s still the Philly area. 
  • Options
    South Jersey is not Philly, although we like taking the better advantages of the fine city.
  • Options
    Though you guys are right in Tony Luke's...it is a Philly thing that they sell here.
  • Options
    Tony Lukes is one of the few Philly institutions I’ve yet to try, and I really have no desire to. The owner seems like a total dick and he’s done a horrible job franchising, putting money over quality. Look up some yelp reviews on Tony Lukes’ that are further away from Philly, horrible.

South Jersey is not Philly, although we like taking the better advantages of the fine city.
    Yeah my bad, I didn’t mean to generalize the whole area, I just meant that the high quality steaks can probably be attributed to the proximity of Philly. Much like the closer I travel to Philly, the better the steaks get, where I live in western PA=garbage, in state college? Some decent but small quantities. Had a pretty awesome one in Harrisburg, place actually got shipments of stuff from Philly every morning. 
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,422
    Chicks is the best of those three...I prefer the Roast Pork at TLs although the steak is good too.
    Chicks is solid but I often find myself at Croces across the street getting the #2.  Prosciutto fresh mozzarella and roasted peppers.
    Why is Donkey's closed on weekends? I'm no businessman by no means, but that doesn't seem to make too much sense.

Some pictures of the cheesesteaks didn't look good. Tomatoes? Lettuce? Some different types of sauces? 
  • Options
    Just looked up that Chick’s place and those steaks look goooood. 
  • Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    i have to say white house in atlantic city is the best steak in jersey.  
  • Options
    I don't believe half of what Yelp users have to share.
    I think Donkeys is closed on weekends because nobody goes downtown on weekends, but I will get there at some point.
  • Options
    I don't believe half of what Yelp users have to share.
    Are you saying that in reference to my Tony Luke’s comment? I don’t always trust them either, however photos do not lie. The one in Ocean City, MD looked god awful and nothing even close to the ones in/near Philly. He clearly took a “these people don’t know what a good steak is, so let’s take advantage of them” approach. 
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    Everyone loves this spot. I’m always too hungover to have the cognitive ability to speak to another human being 
  • Options
    Yeah just meant in general.  I know that different people have different expectations.  
    I like Tony Luke's.  Never been to one in MD.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,846
    Yes!!! Couldn’t agree more. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,452
    Everyone loves this spot. I’m always too hungover to have the cognitive ability to speak to another human being 

that’s why I like cliffy!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    isn't tony luke's based in in philly?

one of the best Goldbergs episodes

Image result for goldbergs donkeys
    Guy on the right looks like Harvey Weinstein.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014