Jack White/ThirdMan/THE VAULT

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    I'm through the first half of side A and can't believe how unbelievably shitty this is.  What the fuck is this?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    mcgruff10 said:
    I'm through the first half of side A and can't believe how unbelievably shitty this is.  What the fuck is this?
    :rofl:
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

mcgruff10 said:
    This reminds me of an entire album of revolution 9 by the beatles.  This album is pure and utter crap.  I'll give someone $20 to take this album off my hands and will provide shipping anywhere in the world including to the top of Mt. Everest.
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    This reminds me of an entire album of revolution 9 by the beatles.  This album is pure and utter crap.  I'll give someone $20 to take this album off my hands and will provide shipping anywhere in the world including to the top of Mt. Everest.
    the incredible reviews just keep pouring in. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Hugh this honestly could be the worst album I have ever listened to.  
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Hugh this honestly could be the worst album I have ever listened to.  
    dude, I wholeheartedly agree with you. I still think this might be some kind of joke. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    RobbyD462 said:
    Without a doubt the worst album I have ever heard.
    Collosal waste of money and now a sudden loss of musical respect for JW.
    Never been so disappointed in an album.:(
    Not sure if I could even handle spinning this again.

-Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

RobbyD462 said:
    RobbyD462 said:
    Without a doubt the worst album I have ever heard.
    Collosal waste of money and now a sudden loss of musical respect for JW.
    Never been so disappointed in an album.:(
    Not sure if I could even handle spinning this again.

Ototo for me. Absolutely putrid. 
    I like exactly one song on this album: what's done is done.  This album is one big pile of dog shit.
  • elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,204
    There are decent parts here and there.  It's just so damn all over the place.  Sounds like singles from 10 different phases in Jacks career, thrown together.  Certainly a huge disappointment from Jack White.  
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    Wow....... I REALLY have to listen to this album.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Dammit, I really want at least one other person to actually like it with me, lol. This is getting uncomfortable. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,204
    PJ_Soul said:
    Dammit, I really want at least one other person to actually like it with me, lol. This is getting uncomfortable. :lol:
    I don’t dislike it. It’s just very underwhelming and way below jacks previous efforts.
    edited March 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    I don’t dislike it. It’s just very underwhelming and way below jacks previous efforts.
    I guess? Or not, haha ... I just think it's different, not underwhelming. TBH, each time I listen it gets better for me. I'm now actually at the point of digging it, and I'm even starting to warm up to the songs I didn't like at first. And I'm not usually a warming up person. Usually if I don't like something I never do. 
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • CJ260717CJ260717 Posts: 414
    this is just so utterly awful I feel like Jack is playing a joke on the industry.
    I've always said this to Phish fans.
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    On first listen it just seems really incohesive. There are small snippets which sound good but then don't materialise into an entirely good song. I like some of the funk elements but I feel a bit ripped off by the fact I bought the Vault version having only heard one song. Fair enough to do some expiremental stuff but it was a bit poor to makes this a Vault release. Glad I didn't open my vinyl.
    CJ260717 said:
    this is just so utterly awful I feel like Jack is playing a joke on the industry.
    I've always said this to Phish fans.
    edited March 2018
    Here are some snippets from other reviews (I got this off of a TMR email, so take it as you will). I knew I wasn't crazy, haha!:

★★★★ (4/4) "weird and brilliant, and anything but regressive. "  - DIY 

★★★★✩ (4/5) "sheer musical exuberance"  - Telegraph    

★★★★✩ (4/5) "vibrant, curious and fascinating"  - The Times

★★★★✰ (4.5/5)  "as radical, experimental and mind-expanding of a pop album as you’re likely 
    to hear anytime soon.”- American Songwriter

"an exciting journey that will thrill, confound, and amaze — and it doesn’t get more rock ’n’ roll than that" - Boston Globe

"his giddiest, most experimental and most garrulously fun" - Variety

"an invitation into the chaotic internal world of a musical savant" - Esquire

★★★✰ (3.5/5) "Like nearly all of White's work, it manages to feel fresh, original, and still deeply rooted in history."  - Rolling Stone

★★★★★ (5/5) “a full, lush sounding thing packed with personality and life”- NME

★★★★★ (5/5) "The most daring, genre-defying record of his storied career" ​
    - The Sun

★★★★★ (5/5) "Stunning stuff" - Daily Star

★★★★✩ (4/5) "Every bit as entertaining as it is oddball"- Metro

★★★★✩ (4/5) “His most eccentric, adventurous and bamboozling album to date”
    - Q Magazine
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    PJ_Soul said:
    I already said I liked i a couple of pages back.
    #FHP
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    PJ_Soul said:
    Here are some snippets from other reviews (I got this off of a TMR email, so take it as you will). I knew I wasn't crazy, haha!:

★★★★✰ (4.5/5)  "as radical, experimental and mind-expanding of a pop album as you’re likely 

"an exciting journey that will thrill, confound, and amaze — and it doesn’t get more rock ’n’ roll than that" - Boston Globe

★★★✰ (3.5/5) "Like nearly all of White's work, it manages to feel fresh, original, and still deeply rooted in history."  - Rolling Stone

- The Sun

- Q Magazine
    What the **** have I been listening to then? I'm confused.
    edited March 2018
    Horos said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I already said I liked i a couple of pages back.
    Oh, so you did! Sorry, I didn't even see your second line - I think I was distracted by your first one, lol. Because I remember thinking about how much I hate when a pre-order arrives after the release date.
    Well, it's just you and me buddy! ;) .... No, but really, I'm actually relieved to see some 4 and 5 star responses up there. Phew. I was starting to worry about JW's ego, har har har.
    BTW, whoever posted about the last song being by Al Capone - thanks for that info. I hadn't heard about that. That's very cool, and actually really changes that song completely for me (for the better).
  • Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,848

Are we talking about Boarding House Reach? This album gets better and better after each listen. I don't need JW White Stripes, Dead Weather sound all the time. This album has some Santana, 70's grooves, etc vibe. There's some great sounds happening on this album...

1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

edited March 2018
    Attaway77 said:
    Are we talking about Boarding House Reach? This album gets better and better after each listen. I don't need JW White Stripes, Dead Weather sound all the time. This album has some Santana, 70's grooves, etc vibe. There's some great sounds happening on this album...

I doubt that those who don't like it need WS and DW all the time to dislike this album, but in any case, I'm pleased to see another person giving it the thumbs up. :plus_one:
  • Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,848
    PJ_Soul said:
    Attaway77 said:

I doubt that those who don't like it need WS and DW all the time to dislike this album, but in any case, but I'm please to see another person giving it the thumbs up. :plus_one:
    Correct, that's why I said "I don't"  I was speaking for myself, not others. 
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    Hey are the (2) 7" 45's inside the actual 12"?  I haven't opened the actual 12" yet, but definitely don't have teh 45's packed separately.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    I thought it was only 1 7"? 

But yeah. They always pack it in the LP sleeve.

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    I haven't even opened mine. I don't even want to. 

Its pretty sad when the best thing about this vault is the 45 adaptor.

I haven't even opened mine. I don't even want to. 

Its pretty sad when the best thing about this vault is the 45 adaptor.

i'd rather hear my three nine year olds practice the recorder than listen to this record again.
  • RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    FR181798 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

- The Sun

- Q Magazine
    What the **** have I been listening to then? I'm confused.
    Wow how can they say that. Unreal
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    I have yet to hear this mountain of steaming horse shit. 
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.