The Idiot Thread

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Kat said:
    Gee, no one saw this coming. :( Condolences to the family and friends and I have to hope that when the family sues, they win BIG. 

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/self-driving-uber-involved-in-pedestrian-death-in-arizona_us_5aafeabbe4b0697dfe193348

That is sad, but the reality is that cars operated by humans hit and kill many, many people every day. It is extremely likely that driverless cars will injure and kill fewer people, but it will never be zero. 

PJ_Soul said:
    Kat said:
    Gee, no one saw this coming. :( Condolences to the family and friends and I have to hope that when the family sues, they win BIG. 

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/self-driving-uber-involved-in-pedestrian-death-in-arizona_us_5aafeabbe4b0697dfe193348

That is sad, but the reality is that cars operated by humans hit and kill many, many people every day. It is extremely likely that driverless cars will injure and kill fewer people, but it will never be zero. 
    I agree. Driverless cars are WAAAAY safer than human operated ones. Nothing is ever 100%, but driverless sure gets us closer to it than dumb human drivers ever will. I hope we're ALL driverless in my lifetime... it will shrink accidents/traffic deaths to a tiny number, and it will also pretty much elimimate all traffic jams. I honestly could not care less about people "liking" the control they have as drivers, considering the benefits of getting the wheel out of all their hands.
    I'd rather see well trained human drivers over driverless any day.  It's too damn easy to get a driver's license in most places.  I'm blown away by how many unskilled drivers are out there. 

We seem to always look for ridiculous answers to solvable problems.  If every city and most towns had dependable public transit, and more people ride shared,  walked and/or rode bicycles, combined errands to reduce the number of outings, and those who do drive were to be required to pass rigorous written and driving tests, we wouldn't need these ridiculous Uber cars.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    brianlux said:
    Kat said:

PJ_Soul said:
    Kat said:

I agree. Driverless cars are WAAAAY safer than human operated ones. Nothing is ever 100%, but driverless sure gets us closer to it than dumb human drivers ever will. I hope we're ALL driverless in my lifetime... it will shrink accidents/traffic deaths to a tiny number, and it will also pretty much elimimate all traffic jams. I honestly could not care less about people "liking" the control they have as drivers, considering the benefits of getting the wheel out of all their hands.
    I'd rather see well trained human drivers over driverless any day.  It's too damn easy to get a driver's license in most places.  I'm blown away by how many unskilled drivers are out there. 

We seem to always look for ridiculous answers to solvable problems.  If every city and most towns had dependable public transit, and more people ride shared,  walked and/or rode bicycles, combined errands to reduce the number of outings, and those who do drive were to be required to pass rigorous written and driving tests, we wouldn't need these ridiculous Uber cars.
    I’m a big fan of public transit, and I’m a cycle commuter, so I don’t disagree with that part of your post at all. I do disagree that we can remove human error from complex tasks. Humans are human; they get tired and distracted and intoxicated, and even at best they only have human reaction times. 

I am in favour of far fewer cars on the road, but I don’t see driverless cars as inherently ridiculous at all. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    brianlux said:
    Kat said:

PJ_Soul said:
    Kat said:

I’m a big fan of public transit, and I’m a cycle commuter, so I don’t disagree with that part of your post at all. I do disagree that we can remove human error from complex tasks. Humans are human; they get tired and distracted and intoxicated, and even at best they only have human reaction times. 

I am in favour of far fewer cars on the road, but I don’t see driverless cars as inherently ridiculous at all. 
    I see driverless cars as part of the ongoing quest for Car Happy Americas.  A driverless car is still just one car with only one to four, maybe 5 max people in it.  Ultimately, unsustainable.  I also see it as part of a bigger scheme to replace humans with machines, with the ultimate goal of turning humans into machines.  That is where all this and (especially) artificial intelligence are trying to lead us.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited March 2018
    brianlux said:
    Kat said:

PJ_Soul said:
    Kat said:

I doesn't matter how well trained people are. They will still have WAY more accidents than driverless cars, and they will still be the cause of almost all traffic jams. You are putting WAY too much faith in human choices and behaviour and ability IMO.
    I am not sure why you think this is a "ridiculous" thing Brian.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    Kat said:

PJ_Soul said:
    Kat said:

I doesn't matter how well trained people are. They will still have WAY more accidents than driverless cars, and they will still be the cause of almost all traffic jams. You are putting WAY too much faith in human choices and behaviour and ability IMO.
    I'd rather people remain people.  I'd rather people occasionally fuck up rather than become slaves to their machines and eventually become machines themselves.

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited March 2018
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    Kat said:

PJ_Soul said:
    Kat said:

I'd rather people remain people.  I'd rather people occasionally fuck up rather than become slaves to their machines and eventually become machines themselves.
    Occasionally? In the USA alone, "In 2010 alone, 5,419,000 crashes, 30,296 of with fatalities, killing 32,999, and injuring 2,239,000. About 2,000 children under 16 die every year in traffic collisions. Records indicate that there has been a total of 3,613,732 motor vehicle fatalities in the United States from 1899 to 2013."

You prefer THAT to driverless cars?? And how would people be "slaves to their machines" with driverless cars?? Can you imagine how much more people could get done and how much less stress would be in their lives if they didn't have to deal with traffic everyday?
    You must REALLY hate rapid transit solutions too Brian - all those trains with no conductors! I mean, I just don't understand this slave statement at all. You are against all technology that radically increases safety, efficiency, reduced stress and commuter times? Or is it JUST driverless cars for some reason? Also, geez, people are slaves to their cars NOW because of all the expenses, the gas prices, and ALL that time stuck in traffic. Driverless would improve all of those things, not make it worse. :confused: You're acting like people would somehow be physically melded with cars, lol. I don't understand how you think people wouldn't remain people here. If anything, they'd have more time to chill and "be people".

Sorry Brian, but I don't really feel like you are using any real logic here. You're being 100% emotional about it... and I'm not quite sure where the emotion could be based... Do you just love steering? I don't really get it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

Liberal plan to legalize pot survives Senate vote

https://globalnews.ca/news/4100321/marijuana-legalization-bill-c45-passes-senate/

Now it's off to committee.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • An idiot of  the 'pure' variety:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/kamloops-bc-man-sues-10-year-old-girl-after-jogging-into-her-bike/ar-AAvhJO0?li=AAggFp5&ocid=edgsp

I'd also nominate his greasy attorneys taking this case (were they that desperate for work?).
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    Kat said:

PJ_Soul said:
    Kat said:

Occasionally? In the USA alone, "In 2010 alone, 5,419,000 crashes, 30,296 of with fatalities, killing 32,999, and injuring 2,239,000. About 2,000 children under 16 die every year in traffic collisions. Records indicate that there has been a total of 3,613,732 motor vehicle fatalities in the United States from 1899 to 2013."

You prefer THAT to driverless cars?? And how would people be "slaves to their machines" with driverless cars?? Can you imagine how much more people could get done and how much less stress would be in their lives if they didn't have to deal with traffic everyday?
    You must REALLY hate rapid transit solutions too Brian - all those trains with no conductors! I mean, I just don't understand this slave statement at all. You are against all technology that radically increases safety, efficiency, reduced stress and commuter times? Or is it JUST driverless cars for some reason? Also, geez, people are slaves to their cars NOW because of all the expenses, the gas prices, and ALL that time stuck in traffic. Driverless would improve all of those things, not make it worse. :confused: You're acting like people would somehow be physically melded with cars, lol. I don't understand how you think people wouldn't remain people here. If anything, they'd have more time to chill and "be people".

Sorry Brian, but I don't really feel like you are using any real logic here. You're being 100% emotional about it... and I'm not quite sure where the emotion could be based... Do you just love steering? I don't really get it.
    Yes, there are FAR too many car-related injuries and deaths, that I wholeheartedly agree with.  But why is that?  A number of reasons such as:

#1 reason: Too many bad and poorly trained drivers.  It's too easy to get a drivers license. 
    Plus,
    Too many people.
    Too many people driving needlessly because they don't ride share, combine trips, live far from their work.
    Too few people using mass and public transit.

I'm not sure what you mean by no conductors.  Most large rail services use conductors.  Light rail generally does well without them and drivers are isolated from passengers for their protection.  I'm OK with that.  Buses rarely have had conductors.  In general, I think public transit works well.  I've relied on public transit much of my life.  Not as much now, but I work out of home much of the time and ride share and combine errands when working in town and I live in a place that has poor mass transit.  And I'm working on finding a way to get out of this county.

No, I don't see driverless cars as a good solution.  That may reduce the number of cars on the road in some cases but not enough, so it doesn't deal with the problems of too many cars, too many people, too many unnecessary trips and people living too far from their work.  Car happy suburban America (or other first world parts of the world) is an outmoded, illogical way too live.  Driving to the store for one quart of milk is a selfish and illogical manner of using individual transportation.  7.2 billion humans is an illogical threat to the survival of our species.

I honestly don't see my thinking as being emotion based here.  I see it as logical. 

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Moving on from the Tide Pod challenge to the Snort a Condom challenge. So very stupid. At least it's not a used condom snorting challenge.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/04/02/condom-snorting-challenge-every-parents-worst-nightmare/477431002/

It's a hopeless situation...
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    tbergs said:
    Moving on from the Tide Pod challenge to the Snort a Condom challenge. So very stupid. At least it's not a used condom snorting challenge.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/04/02/condom-snorting-challenge-every-parents-worst-nightmare/477431002/

Makes snorting ants seem kind of normal.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    PJPOWER said:
    CM189191 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    CM189191 said:

Sounds like standard operating procedure to dispose of a gun.

Did you want her to put in the trash for next week's garbage day pick up?  Take it to the recycling center?  Ship it back to Colt's Manufacturing Company?
    Not standard operating procedure:
    https://www.king5.com/amp/article?section=news&subsection=local&topic=mycity&subtopic=virginia-beach&headline=atf-investigating-after-congressional-candidate-cut-apart-ar-15&contentId=291-526898428
    “The Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) is investigating congressional candidate Karen Mallard after she posted a video on Facebook that shows her cutting apart an AR-15 rifle.”

I think that the law enforcement agency would just destroy it or auction it off if it wasn’t an illegal firearm...but instead, they thought the BATFE should look into it?l

They probably have some obligation to investigate because a bunch of gun nuts reported her.  

If the ATF didn't investigate, you'd have a bunch of gun nuts screaming about the deep state or some other dumb crap.

I look forward the ATF's statement: "We've looked into the situation and closed our file, thank you for your concern."
    I look forward to her not being allowed to run for Congress because she has a felony on her record.  But you’re right, totally up to the ATF at this point.  

Karen Mallard in jail yet? 
  • Here's a serious idiot of the 'idiot holding higher power variety':

• Here's an idiot of the pure and simple moronic variety (note the irony of the last name lol):

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Florida-man-s-own-dashboard-camera-lands-him-in-jail/5-2101994/

He turned his dash cam in to prove another driver caused a minor accident; however, he never cleaned previous recordings and the police witnessed him burglarizing a beauty shop.

hahahahahahaha

* Hey Scruffy... a new site you can bookmark!
  • Here's an idiot of the bizarrely negligent variety (I am seriously shaking my head here):

• An idiot of the animal variety (not really but it's hilarious... poor bastard):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8kjY9sKdHlY
  • kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    Here's an idiot of the bizarrely negligent variety (I am seriously shaking my head here):

Oh My .... how did she even got that job???
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited April 2018
    Another self-righteous/entitled wacko who thinks her socio-political status sets her above the law.  This type of behavior is absurd.
    http://tribunist.com/news/port-authority-commissioner-flashes-her-golden-badge-after-cops-pull-over-her-kid-video/

• PJPOWER said:
    Another self-righteous/entitled wacko who thinks her socio-political status sets her above the law.  This type of behavior is absurd.
    http://tribunist.com/news/port-authority-commissioner-flashes-her-golden-badge-after-cops-pull-over-her-kid-video/

She served as the ethics chair lol.
    PJPOWER said:

She served as the ethics chair lol.
    Maybe she was just creating an example of unethical behavior for a future ethics training, lol
  • An idiot of the intensely weird variety (school district superintendent keeps pooping on a high school track):
    https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/mystery-pooper-unmasked-as-school-chief/ar-AAwHA2Q?li=AAggFp5&ocid=edgsp
  • Okay this tweet is disturbing. I really don't know what's going on in it. Can someone from Columbia tell me if this traditional? Normal? And if it is traditional and normal... why is it traditional and normal? 

It it looks like a bunch of idiots and a child I need to adopt:

mcgruff10 said:
    Maybe he just “identifies” as a 17 year old...In an age where white people identify as black and people identify as cats...nothing surprises me.
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Maybe he just “identifies” as a 17 year old...In an age where white people identify as black and people identify as cats...nothing surprises me.
    Perfect thread for this comment.
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Meow
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Meow
    LMAO
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Cause ya know, what could go wrong?

An Arizona charter school has apologized after students were allowed to select their own controversial set of class superlatives for the yearbook. One eighth grade Muslim student designated himself "Most Likely to Bomb the U.S," while another student branded herself "Most Likely To Steal Gang People's Food," according to social media posts. 

Located in Peoria, Sonoran Science Academy teaches kindergarten through 12th grade students. For the 2017 to 2018 iteration of the yearbook, classes were given a sheet of paper and were told to write a superlative or another quote of their choosing that would appear next to their picture. 

Although the students thought the superlatives were a joke, parents assumed that the middle and high schoolers had voted as a class for the titles and complained to the school and local media.

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Meow
    LMAO
    sylvester stallone hug GIF by Rocky
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    edited May 2018
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Meow
    LMAO
    sylvester stallone hug GIF by Rocky
    yeah, me and PJPOWER, we're tight like that. LOL

the big question, though, is which one am I? Can I be Apollo, PJ? I think I'd like to be Apollo. Although I'm not a fan of that last name.....
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD