The Pizza Thread

Comments

• I love homemade but some are awful.  

Dirty....I love it.  Looks like a bit much on the cheese but that is really nitpicking.  Pizza looks great I hope you gave her a kiss and enjoyed it.
    Rock on!

And hey... all opinions are welcome in the pizza thread. Riot... I get where you're at. You just need to find someone who can cook a pizza (or learn to do so yourself!).
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    RiotZact said:
    I make excellent pizza, totally from scratch. I scorn any who prefer frozen or chain pizza. 
    I’m just going off of my own experiences. If I tried yours maybe I would think differently. In my experience it goes like this:

Local/family owned shops
    Regional chains (these are a big wild card, some are awesome, some are horrible)
    big chains
    frozen
    fundraiser 
    homemade

burnt

:rofl:

At the risk of it sounding like innuendo, I would love to try often's homemade pizza.
  • hedonist said:
    RiotZact said:
    I make excellent pizza, totally from scratch. I scorn any who prefer frozen or chain pizza. 
    I’m just going off of my own experiences. If I tried yours maybe I would think differently. In my experience it goes like this:

Local/family owned shops
    Regional chains (these are a big wild card, some are awesome, some are horrible)
    big chains
    frozen
    fundraiser 
    homemade

burnt

:rofl:

At the risk of it sounding like innuendo, I would love to try often's homemade pizza.

It's getting hot in heeeere...
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    So take off all your...toppings?

:joker:
  • hedonist said:
    So take off all your...toppings?

:joker:
    Hahahahaha

You got the reference!
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    ^^ Googly eyed/nip pizza? :rofl: 

Guess it might not have been much of a looker but damn it tasted good!
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Oh, to be worthy of your scorn. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Thirty, great looking homemade pie there!

My brother in law does homemade pies every few months entirely from scratch. They are fantastic, even to the point that our friend who is in the restaurant business has asked him to go into business and open a store. This shit is the real deal. Talk is cheap, so I’ll take pics next time we do pizza night over there. ;) 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    bbiggs said:

My brother in law does homemade pies every few months entirely from scratch. They are fantastic, even to the point that our friend who is in the restaurant business has asked him to go into business and open a store. This shit is the real deal. Talk is cheap, so I’ll take pics next time we do pizza night over there. ;) 
    I love home made pizza on the grill.  As soon as this snow melts I'll be firing up my webster.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Real men grill in the snow. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:

I love home made pizza on the grill.  As soon as this snow melts I'll be firing up my webster.
    It’s funny you say that. He cooks some in the oven and some on a pizza stone on the grill for a different flavor. I’m a huge fan of homemade pizza in general, when it’s done right. 
    Real men grill in the snow. 
    Oh damn shots fired!
    Our local go to. Soooo good. 

^ now that looks amazing! Dumb question but do any east coast pizza places cut the pies in squares? 
    bbiggs said:
    ^ now that looks amazing! Dumb question but do any east coast pizza places cut the pies in squares? 
    Not usually for round pizza but I have seen it done. 
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Not usually for round pizza but I have seen it done. 
    Yeah that’s what I meant. Square slices on a round pie. Very common in Chicago area. I like both, but nothing like a nice triangle slice 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    I like the "triangle slice" as well

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Back to Pizza.....didn't plan on making tonight but the three year old asked if we could.  Used what we had on hand - for my pie it was some Jersey tomato sauce, Cabot seriously sharp cheddar, and a badass Cabot mad River reserve (sharp cheddar/parm blend)
    Put the basil on about a minute too early but otherwise it was mighty good.

Three year old made his all himself, I just handed him the items to use.
    He was so pleased with himself when we took it out.
    "It looks like a cookie AND a pie!"
    Love it.

Three year old's effort:

My wife's white pizza (she was not happy with how this turned out)

My pie:

• Back to Pizza.....didn't plan on making tonight but the three year old asked if we could.  Used what we had on hand - for my pie it was some Jersey tomato sauce, Cabot seriously sharp cheddar, and a badass Cabot mad River reserve (sharp cheddar/parm blend)
    Put the basil on about a minute too early but otherwise it was mighty good.

Three year old made his all himself, I just handed him the items to use.
    He was so pleased with himself when we took it out.
    "It looks like a cookie AND a pie!"
    Love it.

Three year old's effort:

My wife's white pizza (she was not happy with how this turned out)

My pie:

3 year old wins!

You're silver medal. Wife comes in last.
    Hahaha.  I liked my pizza the best but the 13 yr old ate at a friend's house.  He usually wins.
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    Holy shit start saving up a pizza shop fund for that 3 year old, he appears to have a gift! I’ll offer up some start up money for his 18th birthday. 
    Ha.  Thanks . Saving for him going to USC like his daddy.  (Or Harvard, if he wants)

• H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    bbiggs said:
    In NYC alot of the more legit pizzeria's do a "grandma's slice" which is a square pie and cut in squares. Basiclly a sicilian pie top with dollops of sauce and fresh basil. Fucking delicious!
    https://spoilednyc.com/2015/06/07/nobody-makes-pizza-like-nonna-5-authentic-grandma-slices-nyc/
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
    bbiggs said:
    In NYC alot of the more legit pizzeria's do a "grandma's slice" which is a square pie and cut in squares. Basiclly a sicilian pie top with dollops of sauce and fresh basil. Fucking delicious!
    https://spoilednyc.com/2015/06/07/nobody-makes-pizza-like-nonna-5-authentic-grandma-slices-nyc/
    Good lord those pies look amazing! 
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    bbiggs said:
    Salivating.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited March 2018
    Here is a Dr. Oetker Ristorante frozen pizza. I added some jalepenos, and just a touch of shredded havarti and a bit of basil. Really really really good!

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Doesn't look too bad.  I like the added fresh ingredients!
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,439
    bbiggs said:
    Greek pizza here on the east coast is cut in squares
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,439
    bbiggs said:
    I have only discovered the grandma pies in the last two years.  Amazing!
    Get_Right said:
    bbiggs said:
    Greek pizza here on the east coast is cut in squares
    What is greek pizza?